Highland Park, IL
Fink Park Share
Uploaded By: loobychild Hole #8 (Taken 6/2010)
3 / 325ft.   3 / --   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:

1 2 Next >
 Average course with average challenge

1    8/16/2009   8/17/2009
Pros: 1) Nice concrete tee pads are an upgrade from most of the other courses in the area. (although sligtly too narrow)

2) Baskets are in good condition.

3) Courses uses large mature trees as obstacles and it forces you to pick your line.

4) Course is beginner friendly because it is relatively open despite the large mature trees. It offers a challenge to the beginners by forcing them to picture a shot rather than just throwing as hard as they can.

5) Course offers a good variety in distance ranging from 182' to 325' with a couple other in the mid 250' range. This is a true positive because it alters the disc you will be throwing into many baskets. It is nice to not have the same shot on every hole.

6) Nice tee signs with diagrams.

7) Nice park with good amenities. It is fairly isolated from other activities which is always a positive.

8) Turf is in good condition across the course including around the baskets. It doesn't seem to be too wore down and there is no need for mulch or gravel around the baskets because the turf is healthy.
Cons: 1) Concrete tees are slightly too narrow. Someone else complained about them being slippery but I didn't notice that . . . but it was dry.

2) A little bit too wide open. I like the mature trees but anyone but a beginner can really execute most shots fairly easily.

3) Mature trees are good for this course, but I do think that the baskets or tees could have been better situated. I felt like Glencoe (Watts Park) really incorporated the trees effectively to force certain shots. This course allows you to pick your own shot rather than forcing you to think up your shot.

4) The only thing that interrupts play would be the sidewalk path that runs across hole #6 and #7.

5) No elevation change at all . . . I know it isn't the designers fault it is just the property they have but I do like to see some elevation even if it is just placing a basket on a sidehill or something.
Other Thoughts: This is an average course. It is one of the better courses in the immediate area but is not a destination course. I think it would be mostly very locals that play because it just doesn't have anything that stands out as not ordinary. I still give it a typical/decent rating because the course itself is designed well, seems to be well maintained, and the amenities make it a good place to go play. It was the 8th course on my 9 course day and am glad I got to play it. I especially liked making a 2 on #9 with a 65' putt across the wind going in.

Short but fun

5+    6/8/2009   6/9/2009
Review By: mashnut
This review was updated on 10/26/2009
Pros: This course is in the back corner of a park, on flat ground with a good amount of large mature trees. The trees are well used to define fairways on a few of the holes, and the course is laid out well to take advantage of them. There is a good mix of lengths, from under 200' to a little over 300'. There are a couple holes that are good accuracy challenges, and some where there are only a few trees to avoid.

The course has plenty of parking by the first tee, and because it is usually not crowded, the 9th basket makes a nice practice/warmup spot. All holes have decent signs with hole layout and distance. The course is very easy to follow, and it's always pretty clear which basket to shoot at next, and where the next tee is.

The park is very nicely maintained, with well-mowed grass, and all downed limbs and brush cleared on a regular basis. It's pretty clear that the park works to keep the course in good shape, and to fix any problems as they happen.
Cons: The biggest issue with this course is the tee pads. They used to be mud pits, so I was excited when I saw they were being upgraded to concrete. I was very disappointed to play after they were put in, and find that they are not only very narrow, they have some sort of coating on them that makes them extremely slippery to throw from.

The course makes good use of the space available, but it is crammed in a fairly small area. There are a few places where holes throw on top of one another, or in the direction of another tee. It is usually not crowded, but when there are other players it can be an issue. The course also plays over a walking path and next to a soccer field on two holes, so watch for other park users.
Other Thoughts: This course is a great place to bring beginners, as there is only one hole where there i any chance of losing a disc, and all the holes are very beginner accessible. For more experienced players, this course is definitely more of a place to work on your midrange game, though there are a couple fun holes with some accuracy required.

Of the many mediocre 9 hole courses in the area, this is one of the better ones, and is worth playing if you are in the area. I wouldn't drive too far out of your way to play this one though, unless you're just looking to play something new.

Great Beginner Course

1    5/27/2009   5/27/2009
Review By: Nigel
Pros: Challenging pars for beginners; one nice way to know if your drive is getting better is if you can get it past the trail on hole #7
Cons: Swampy after rain
Other Thoughts: Most of the holes are out in the open with very few obstacles

Beginner course

5+    5/8/2009   5/8/2009
Review By: Brook
Pros: This is an absolutely terrific course if you are just staring out. It has little to get into your way. Everything around you is pretty straight forward. I have done my best on this course. Yesterday I made par at the sixth basket. That really boosted my game! If you are new to the game you need that. So this is a great place to launch from. There really is no difficulty level. Normally it's not crowded either, so you don't have people to hinder you if you are trying to improve and slow moving. Which is fine, because that's how you get good. There is a very nice club house where you can use the bathroom and get a drink if you need too as well.
Cons: The only thing negitive is that it gets pretty swampy. If you don't like that sort of thing, don't go after it rains. Brink bug spray and change of clothes if you need too.

D+ = Doesn't have much happenin' for a 9 holer

5+    4/2/2009   4/19/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- D+
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- C
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- C-
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- C-

Better of the two in Highland Park

6/1/2008   6/2/2008
Review By: heywillard90
Pros: Course is located on a beautiful, secluded park. Fairly easy to navigate. Challenging shots through trees. Good mix of open and tight fairways.
Cons: Not really any good distance shots.
Other Thoughts: Course is fairly spread out. Most holes are in the upper 200's and lower 300's. Located in a very nice area.

1 2 Next >