North Platte, NE
Flight to 9 Share
Uploaded By: mgcarney Hole #6 (Taken 8/2010)
3 / 370ft.   3 / --   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:

Short beginner friendly course.

2-4    6/15/2013   6/15/2013
Review By: prerube
Pros: Some variety in this 9 holer. Elevation on hole one, water on hole 8, some legth on hole 9.
Very beginner friendly. Nearly everyone I saw during my rounds were totally new to the sport. I took a first time player who shot a 39 with nothing but a teebird.
Holes 1, 2, 4, 5, and 7 all short ace runs.
Flow is very easy to follow. After 7 there is a tiny bit of backtracking to 8, but it was easy to figure out.
Course can easily be played with 3 discs or very quickly for people who are collecting courses or taking a driving break.
Cons: Course is very short and there is a lack of challenge. a 900 rated player can easily shoot a 27. With a good round there is potential to shoot a 21-22 on this course for advanced players.
Never needed anything faster than a teebird. There were only 2 holes (3 and 9) where I used a fairway driver.
Only 9 holes, 5 of which were very similar shots, so it could get old/monotonous.
Rubber tee pads were deteriorating, 5 was underwater, 7 was falling apart.
Tee sign for 7 was missing.
Other Thoughts: Hole by hole:
1: short shot uphill. open and straight
2. really short putter/mid shot with road behind basket. open and straight
3. wooded shot over 350 with a big hyzer line possibility or threading through a few trees.
4. Straight and open sign says 265, DGCR says 291. I think it is closer to 265, easy 2 with putter/mid.
5. Super Short ace run. sign says 190, DGCR says 210. Either way straight open putter shot for a drop in 2 every time.
6. 381 on sign (370 on DGCR). striaght shot with fence and foliange on right so a turn over shot will not turn out well. This is one of only 3 holes that I did not 2 during one of my rounds.
7. SUPER SHORT (DGCR says 200, but I think it was less than 150) overstable putter/ putter on hyzer shot. mostly open with some trees on right.
8. Cleverly designed begginer water hole. with a safe dog leg right option or a short shot over the water. Basket is near water line to add risk during putt. (minimal danger for intermediate level players and higher)
9. One of the few holes that deserves to be a par 3, it is the only hole I worried about getting a 4 on. 450 straight with some trees in the fairway.
Update: How could I forget to mention the playground, animals, public pool, kids rides. There is so much for your family to do at this park.

Take Flight

1    4/17/2007   2/17/2009
Review By: DGtourist
Pros: I am a fan of the rubber fly18 tee pads that they have here. The fun factor is high because it is short and can be run through really fast. It's a well groomed park course with one hole that plays through a small forest and another hole that plays over a pond. Another hole that plays in a tunnel of trees near the creek and yet another hole that uses an awkward hill. There are only two or three holes for ripping long drives. The rest of the holes make for great practice on getting that elusive ace. I would never drive all the way to North Platte just to play in Cody Park. However if you are looking for a place to sink an ace this might be it.

What sets this park apart from all from the other nine hole central Nebraska courses? Its quick, the lake, the tunnels of trees and the hill. I was able to pick up a handful of locals and they were very helpful and friendly. The park feel like its North Platte's main park with all the amenities that it has, including; amusement rides and a zoo area. As a result the park grooming is top notch. The course is set up in a dedicated part of the park. I would recommend this course for beginners mostly and making ace runs.
Cons: It is a nine hole park course.

I don't like park courses much. A personal bias of mine. I would have used the natural setting to the north and utilize the area near the North Platte River In my opinion it would provide a more interesting round of golf. Perhaps if expansion is ever in the cards it would be something to consider. The course is extremely short and the suggested par, if you pay attention to those things is very generous (laughable).
Other Thoughts: North Platte is always the mid point stop for me when I trip out to Omaha, so I enjoy playing here. It is a break from the boredom that is I-80, driving aimlessly for hours with only the goal of playing the nine holes at Cody Park in mind. The train in the park is at the south end of the course is an attraction for train enthusiasts, the way I understand it.