Florence, WI
Florence DGC Share
Uploaded By: deBebbler Hole #17 (Taken 8/2010)

Not much to work with

1    10/29/2011   10/29/2011
Review By: crusadersounds
Pros: There isn't a lot to work with here, but they made use of some tight spaces on the front nine providing variety from dead straight fairways, to doglegs and fading shots. A couple of protected baskets added challenge to this course on the front nine. Wind doesn't seem to affect your game at all...until you get to the back nine where the openness creates a completely different type of course than the front nine.
Cons: The course is at an elementary school and directly between the tee and the basket on the first hole is a fenced in area that is usually locked. This forces you to either throw around for a probable four or risk throwing over...which isn't likely to happen. The tees for three and four are right next to each other and they go the same direction which means when you get to the end of three, you have to walk back up the fairway to four. The back nine is relatively bland with the only challenge being distance...and residential fences jutting well into the fairway. Tee signs seldom give you a clear idea of which basket you're throwing to.
Other Thoughts: This course was a great Saturday away from my home course, but probably not one that I'd drive to if other courses were as readily available. For the space and limited variety given, they did an ok job on the layout. Clear maps at the kiosk would be a HUGE help as many holes are confusing and sometimes, the basket isn't even visible from the tee, though three or four other possible baskets might be. The long walk between 9-10 makes you choose whether or not you really want to play all 18. Overall, this is a decent course and if you're in the area, drop in for a quick round. We played 2 full rounds in under an hour and a half.

Good nine, bad nine

1    8/24/2010   8/29/2010
Review By: koogs
Pros: 18 good, homemade baskets. The first 9 holes are nicely done, going into and through a small, wooded area.
Very friendly and helpful locals.
Cons: The second 9 holes are either wide open or have a single obstacle, such as a fence or a clump of brush. The tee areas on the first 9 were ok, but out in the open of the second 9, the grass was long and tee 17 had knee-high weeds to contend with. Really hard to get good footing. The lack of signage had me throwing at the wrong basket twice.
Other Thoughts: I pass through Florence about once a week in my semi and I've always wondered if I could get to the course and find a place to park, so I finally decided to try it. When I got to the school, I went to the office for directions to where the course started and where I could park. The guy in the office came out and got in his truck and led me down a private road (he had to unlock 2 gates), to where the course started and where I could park. I enjoyed the first 9, but the second 9 were really not worth playing. The only reason I played it was because , like I said, I pass through. If I had to make a special trip, I wouldn't play it again, or I'd play only the first 9.