Florence, WI
Florence DGC Share
Uploaded By: deBebbler Hole #4 (Taken 8/2010)

Worth a try if you're in the area

5+    6/3/2012   6/8/2012
Review By: stealthfalcon84
This review was updated on 7/30/2012
Pros: + Front 9 is wooded and can be a decent challenge, especially for first time and amateur players
+ The back 9 is wide open, meaning you can 'grip it and rip it' on most of the holes
+ Very LOW traffic. I've played it numerous times and never ran into anyone else on the course.
+ Good use of the existing terrain and space for most holes
+ Some hyzer and anhyzer curves to challenge you, especially on the front 9
+ Beginner friendly and easy to bring your whole family to
+ Baskets and holes are clearly labeled
Cons: - You have to walk back up the #3 fairway to reach the tee for #4
- Hole 7 fairway/tee intersect the tee for hole 8
- The back 9 are all wide open with very little terrain differences. You're basically playing in fields
- Back 9 aren't often maintained well, meaning you'll have to trudge through some long grass, especially on hole 17.
- Some fences come into play meaning that if you have an errant throw, you might be climbing/going around a fence to retrieve your disc
- No sign pointing to the path for the back 9, which could be confusing for first time visitors (it's along the playground fence).
- Lately there haven't been any maps printed up.
- Only one set of tees and there really aren't any boxes, only two poles for each hole
- Unless you like teeing off in long grass, the tee for hole 17 plain sucks. They should just move the tee up onto the manicured area near 16 and it would instantly be better.
Other Thoughts: I was one of the students who helped design the course back in 2002 when I was in high school. I finally got around to playing the course about a year ago because I graduated and was off to college before it was completely finished. It's nice to see how the designs we dreamed up in computer drafting class turned out in real life. It was a fun project to be a part of. I can see some things that definitely should've been done differently, but overall I think the course turned out great considering very few of us had ever really played disc golf at the time. If you're in the Florence area, stop in and give it a try. It's nothing to go out of your way for, but it will definitely satisfy your disc golf itch, especially the wooded front 9. There wasn't much to work with in designing the back 9, we just tried to do the best with what we had. When I think of this course I think of it as "The Woods and the Prairie". Since I come back to the area quite frequently to visit family, I always stop in to play the course to work on my chops. I've never seen anybody else playing on it, so you'll most likely have it all to yourself.

Great Front 9

5+    6/6/2012   6/8/2012
Review By: sdub
Pros: The front 9 is one of the greatest spots I have ever played. The layout is perfect to make it just challenging enough, and not impossible. It has a good balance with only one or two holes in the open.
Cons: The back 9 is worse than any horror movie I have ever seen. It is all an open field. It is terribly difficult to find the holes when you start at the pins. It is a long walk from the front 9 to the back 9 as well. There are residential fences bordering the back 9, which leads to the wind catching stray discs into the fences.
Other Thoughts: This is the course nearest my house. I play it maybe twice a week during the summer. When I play, I only play on the front 9, usually two or three times. The front 9 never gets boring for me. The back 9 on the other hand, I avoid like the plague.