Redlands, CA
Ford Park Share
Uploaded By: mikethrice Hole #7
Hole #7

Guide and updated map needed

1    3/17/2013   3/19/2013
Review By: jtrod
Pros: Nice park that is also good for the family and dog, good baskets, friendly players, water holes, not a lot of ob and relatively clean bathrooms. I like the kinda safari style of course.
Cons: Possibility of picnickers in the park and some baskets and tee pads are near tables. The 2 maps are outdated based on the added ground markers for teeboxes.
Other Thoughts: Met 3 groups that were helpful but each group had a different idea on how the course was to be played. I understand that the city will not allow tee signs but maybe an updated map could be posted some where in the park. and on this site.

Nice course that needs Tees

1    8/20/2011   10/19/2011
Review By: OcDiscGolf
Pros:
Lush park with lots of other amenities including drinking fountains and bathrooms
Subtle Elevation change on a number holes
Good mix of moderately wooded and wide open hoels
Water! The pond comes into play on a few holes including one hole (Hole 5 I think) that goes almost directly across one of the ponds.
Nice, clean Discatchers with (correct) numbering on them, I wish the tees were the same way
Doesn't ever seem to get crowded with Disc Golfers, and the non-Golfers are aware that there is a DG Course here and largely stay off of it with their picnicking.
Cons:
No marked tees or tee signs anywhere. I played for the first time and had to be a guide for a 5 person group using only the map from DGCR. Needless to say, I felt like I was geocaching at times trying to match up terrain with an aerial view of the park.
Occasional picnickers and fisherman can get in the way of your tee shots, especially on weekends. Not the worst I've seen, but I did have recalibrate my tee off position on 2 holes. Since there are no tees anyway this really didn't matter much
I went to a recent family gathering at Ford Park in Redlands, and after finding out the location I was determined to play the DG Course while I was there. It was a large family birthday party, and I was fairly confident that no one played Disc Golf. I brought 5 extra drivers and putters to see if anyone would like to join in the fun. I got 4 of my relatives (who were all first timers) to go out and throw the course with me. Teeing off on Hole 2 my cousin shanked one of my loaner discs right into the pond! I had a good laugh on that one. Then another one of my cousins ended up a foot from the water which is on the left side of holes 3 and 4. Lots of good laughs, and a good opportunity to give a quick lesson on anhyzers before I ran out of discs.

I was pleasantly surprised by both the beauty and variety at this course, especially with the elevation change and the water mixed in - This is rare in Socal for 9 hole courses. I would almost say the course exceeded my expectations, but the lack of any tees or tee markers really puts a dent in the rating here. With proper tees and signs, this course could easily be a 3.5 in my opinion. I wasn't as lucky as the previous reviewers; I didn't see a single other disc golfer out there and thus had no frame of reference as to where to tee off. I had to approximate where the tees were located based on the course map/aerial shot found here on the course page. My family were good sports about the whole thing, but it was especially annoying when I came to what I consider the signature hole which is over about 150 feet of pond, then down an embankment to the basket which is at a slight hyzer angle. My noob companions decided not to throw it (they felt bad about losing discs earlier in the round), But I ripped my Archon over the body of water to within 20 feet of the basket, then clanged the putt for a birdie. The way I threw the hole, it was about 290 feet.

Safari is definitely a possibility here, but really not my style - I like Safari golf about as much as I like Pole Holes. Teepads/Markers are an integral piece of course design, and the rating on this course takes a big hit because that element is missing. If I was in the area and had some time, I'd definitely go back and play again - but I think I'd hang out near the first tee for a while and attempt to procure some locals who are familiar with the layout. That might make it a bit more worthwhile.