Reedsville, OH

a must play

2-4    5/9/2009   5/10/2009
Review By: spookytay
This review was updated on 9/18/2010
Pros: +all holes have 4+ pin placements
+regular and pro pad tee placements
+wooded, open fields, hills and very all of them technical a very nice mix
+24 holes to play
+never really crowded
+camping available
+most holes have benches and good tee signs
Cons: -stays very wet during rainy seasons, bring extra socks and shoes
-some pins only have single chains (2009)
-can be very difficult depending on pin placements
-no trash cans, I heard from someone, they had to cut back due to budget restrictions, may change in the future (2009)
-a distant drive, but worth it
-there isn't much business around, so bring drinks and food with you
Other Thoughts: I played this course about 7 or 8 years ago and it was fun not as many holes at the time, played it again, holes have changed for the better and many more were added, well worth the change and updates. Hope to get myself down there again to play it. This is a fun course and my all time #1 favorite, you have to check it out!

Kudos to SE Ohio

5+    10/18/2008   11/9/2008
Review By: spenlee3
Pros: This is by far the best course we have played to date. Technical holes, long distance, water, scenic vistas, multiple pin locations, multiple teepads, concrete tee pads, and maintained extremely well. Some awesome huge old trees with character in these woods. Benches at most holes. Be sure to look for the extra holes in the woods out by the main entrance!
Cons: The pin locations didn't always match the signs, but the system could be easily changed by "evil doers" This was not a huge deal if you just look before you throw! Could use more trash cans, as the few here were overflowing, but at least the trash was in one place.
Other Thoughts: Great, beautiful campgrounds, lake and nature at its finest. We will make a weekend out of this place many times in the future. Highly reccomended.

Still one of my favorites

9/15/2007   5/15/2008
Review By: chris deitzel
Pros: The course is in a beautiful state park in southeastern, Ohio. It truly is one of the nicest parks to play disc golf in that I know of in Ohio.

Nice concrete tee pads, and there are about 5 different pin placements on each hole.

There is also cheap camping in the park with some beautiful sites high up on the hills.

Showers!

Great fishing, and a great lake

Frisbee (my dog) came from this park during the 2001 Ohio River Bear Open
Cons: Not too much.......except when the Ohio River floods to the highest point in 100 years during a tournament and you have to get to the back 9 by rowboat. But then you get rescued and taken by a boat down a road, into an ambulance, and spend the night at the local church. For the few people who were there, you know what I'm talking about.

But really, there are no cons
Other Thoughts: I was going to school in Athens, Ohio back in 1997 and some guy named Marc Queen sent me an email saying that he heard I played disc golf and lived in Athens. He told me he was building a new course at Forked Run State Park. I was so excited as I had not been able to play disc golf anywhere for the last 6 months without driving almost 2 hours. We spent days clearing out brush and poison ivy. After many hard days of work, an amazing course was built that was about as tough as any course out there today. I would say that some of the holes would rival the quality and difficulty of Moraine or Paw Paw.

After a few months of playing this layout mostly by ourselves. We realized that nobody in this area of Ohio had any idea what disc golf even was. So the course was redesigned by Marc, with input from myself and Chuck Custer. Man those were the days back then. The course remains pretty true to that final layout that Marc designed with a lot more pins added to holes as well as 2 or 3 more new holes. The course has really matured into a masterpiece. I highly recommend it.

The day we played the first round, Marc and I put the last basket in the ground in on what was I believe hole 8 at the time. A short 180 foot downhill hole through some tight trees. We decided to start on the hole since we had our bags. We each threw a practice shot to warm up and then I teed off first. I threw my Orange 177 gram Hammer right down the middle and into the chains for an ace. I knew it was going to be a great course!!

I have played every Ohio River Bear Open at Forked Run along with Lisa Warner and Leroy and Sharon Jenkins have made it just about every year as well. This tournament was Avery's very first ever Pro Win way back when. Still one of my favorite places to play, can't wait to get back in the Fall.