Reedsville, OH

< Prev 1 2 3
Forked Run: A fun course, with a few flaws

1    9/20/2014   9/26/2014
Review By: Billy K2
Pros: Forked Run provides a fun challenge, that will test even the best of disc golfers. The tees and baskets are in phenomenal shape. I really liked the design of this course. It had the perfect mix of open and wooded holes. The park is very welcoming, and I met a few awesome people along the way!
Cons: Navigation was a little confusing throughout the course. I got bit up pretty bad by Mosquitos, so being some bug spray. The main problem was navigation. This is a great course, but with improved navigation, it could easily be a 4-4.5 disc course. I got lost several times.
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed playing Forked Run, and with improved navigation, it could be a phenomenal course. I would reccomend it to my friends, but PLEASE add a few more signs.

Great course

2-4    5/21/2013   5/22/2013
Review By: pmcski
Pros: Great course, has many different basket options, though i don't know how often they change them. Nice mix of open and woods.There are a few holes that have water, but none that you have to throw over. This is a must play if you are in the area.
Cons: There was one hole where you had to head right back towards the tee to get to the next hole, but as there was nobdy else on the course both times I played, it was not really a problem.Other than that I thought the course was very well laid out.

Great Course!

1    8/3/2012   8/23/2012
Review By: lildragon
This review was updated on 11/16/2013
Pros: - Beautiful scenery
- Some long holes for big arms
- Clean and well maintained
- Good use of terrain
- Concrete tee pads
- Multiple tee pads
- Vending machine tucked in the back by one of the buildings when you come out of the woods
Cons: - Minimal parking by the start, more signs for parking further in would be nice
Other Thoughts: Another good destination course. Nice mix of length throughout the course. Nice use of elevation where appropriate. Good general flow from hole to hole.

Forked Run

2-4    3/25/2012   3/27/2012
Review By: lofton2107
Pros: Great layout of the course. For a first time player here it was very easy to figure out the layout. The entire course is challenging, wither it is a long hole or a very short hole. Great Course
Cons: Only con I had was that it was very wet. The drainage isn't that great but as a traveler water isn't a big deal.
Other Thoughts: I encourage everyone to tell this course and have a killer time. Just be prepared to go up a mountain but the holes are toattaly worth it.

1    10/12/2011   11/12/2011
Review By: jkdisc
Pros: I really enjoyed Forked Run. There are 24 holes, which is a nice bonus. There are up to 6 pin positions per hole (wow!) The course has plenty of variety even without the multiple pin positions. There are up/down hill shots, left/right/straight shots, open/wooded, and different distances.

Nice tee signs with current pin positions listed.

Other Pros:

- dual concrete tees
- well maintained State Park with camping available
- challenging & fun
- water near play
- elevation used
- arrows help navigation
Cons: The course is located out of the way from civilization which bums me out because I really want to come back to play the other pin positions.

Nit Picks:

Beginners could get frustrated, a nice array of shots needed

Some play near a non-busy road
Other Thoughts: There is onsite camping. There are tent sites or cabins. I took advantage of the cabin. They are small but include: 3 beds, refrigerator, heat/AC and a microwave. There is a shower house nearby. The price was fair and I do recommend it.

The first tee is near the parking at the entrance of the park. The course is long and physically demanding, bring snacks/drinks with you, it won't be finished quickly. I hope to be back to play here again.

Pretty Sweet

1    5/14/2011   6/7/2011
Review By: tistoude
Pros: This is a very special course located in a nice secluded state park.

With 24 holes, two tees and up to 6 pin positions, that dramatically change the layout of the hole, you are provided with practically unlimited variety. The different pin positions really do make completely different holes.

The design of the course is very solid. There is a good balance of right turning, left turning, and straight holes. The course provides a great mix of wooded, open and a combination of the two. The design also provides some decent elevation changes. Holes 8 through 18 all have some slight to significant elevation. The designer has also brought water into play on a few holes without making losing a disc a huge fear.

There are two concrete tees for each hole providing very different looks at the basket and all of the baskets are in good shape.

The tee signs are very helpful providing distances for all the pin positions except for the most recently installed. On the tee signs there is a little tag letting you know which position the pin is in currently. As far as I could see they were all accurate.

I got to meet a lot of the locals for this course (although local is a relative term since it really is kind of in the middle of no where) and they were all super cool, helpful and easy to play with.

The entire course is well maintained by the park staff and I have heard that the rough on some of the wooded holes has been thinned significantly over the last year or so.
Cons: There are no serious cons with this course. I would just suggest clearing out a few fairways a little more. Specifically holes 22 and 11.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed playing on this course since it was difficult without being overwhelming. T There is a very high fun factor at this course but I can imagine that when the pins are all in their hardest positions that this course would be an absolute bear.

I have played one sanctioned event at this course and I have been told that all of their events have a festive atmosphere. Everyone I met was relaxed and fun to be around. I am looking forward to playing here again in the fall for the Ohio River Open.

5+    11/1/2010   11/1/2010
Review By: Django
This review was updated on 8/27/2012
Pros: concrete pads
multiple pins
well mowed grass
24 holes
good mix of elevation
good hyzer/anhyzer routes
Cons: lots of walking, slightly confusing for a first-time through
Other Thoughts: love the a-g pins, love playing tourneys out here, very humbling

Huh?

1    11/1/2010   11/1/2010
Review By: Flip55
Pros: Concrete tees
Multiple Pin placements
24 holes
not crowded
Cons: poor layout
confusing signage
bad hole design
Other Thoughts: I whole heartedly disagree with the other reviews. And in my opinion this course definetley does not deserve a 4.25. While the course is not the worst course in the world, it is really not anything to "write home" about. There are a few cool holes and one awesome hole. 2 being a moderatley long hole with the basket situated behind a large and full tree(sycamore if my memory serves me). 18 was shot from an earthen dam to a mowed green about 200 ft out and 50 or so feet down. 24 was (again in my opinion) the best hole on the course and even it wasnt spectacular. It played dogleg right and the left side of the fairway had a straight line of trees for almost the entire length of the hole very cool to look at and hard to bend a shot through. But then there are the other 21 holes. The holes in the woods seemed like they hadnt been thought out well. The trees were just annoying. There was maybe...MAYBE one flight path to take on each of these holes and even then it was a unreasonably small path. The holes in the field had only one or two trees and no elevation change, not a great challenge. Also this course is not long... there were maybe 5 holes that were over 350'. Maybe the pin placements were to blame but this course is probably a one timer for me unless Im passing by( which isnt likley because its painfully out of the way for anybody).

Forked Run

2-4    9/8/2010   9/10/2010
Review By: Kent18
Pros: 1) Great overall diversity of holes; hyzer/anhyzer doglegs, uphill/downhill, open/wooded, super long/to long holes
2) Most holes have a Pro level design
3) State Park atmosphere
4) Each hole has two concrete tee pads with at least 4 pin placements that are very well marked
5) Lots of elevation changes and wooded/open holes
6) Safe clean park
7) Has a fun factor
Cons: 1) 24 holes with 6 awesome holes, 6 cool holes, and 6 so/so holes.
2) Most holes could be very frustrating for beginners due to length and the need to have two high quality shots to reach the pin.
2) There are state parks away from the city and there are state parks away from everything else, this is the latter.
3) Course is demanding physically with length of holes and elevation change
Other Thoughts: After reading various reviews about this course and realizing the distance it would take to travel here, me and three friends picked Forked Run as a place to try our first disc golf camping trip to take full advantage of the course. Like other reviews have said driving into the park for the first time and seeing 3-4 baskets placed in an open field with no real character to them we were already second guessing our decision. However, after playing the course 3 times from the red/shorter tees twice and the blues/longer once we left feeling more than satisfied. I can comfortably say this is best disc golf course in a State Park and the best 24 hole disc golf course I have ever played. There are indeed 4-6 holes one could say that are too boring that seemed to be placed in the open areas to better "connect" the course. However the course has at least 6-10 holes that are really fun/tough/exciting with another half dozen that are worthy to be at a top level course. Even from the shorter red tee pads this course still plays long for beginners and provides challenge for every type of shot disc of your game. Our fastest round was two hours and forty-five minutes. Great signature hole on 18. I think it is a shame that for the majority of the Ohio/Midwest disc golf community that this course is so far away because it is a real gem. I would recommend this course as an ideal disc golf camping trip.

Well maintained state park course.

1    8/15/2010   8/24/2010
Review By: Scazmatic
Pros: - Long and short tees with up to six pin placements on each hole. Signage at each tee gives current pin location, corresponding pars and distances.

- Wide variety of hole designs, with open holes, tight wooded shots, elevation changes, and water coming into play.

- Course is in great shape and park staff seem to tend to it on a regular basis.

- First tee is located near parking at the entrance to the park, and hole to hole signage from that point is fairly easy to navigate.
Cons: - Even from the short tees, course is long and challenging for the novice and casual player.

- Several holes require trackbacks that aren't always obvious. I inadvertantly missed Hole 12 as a result.

- Water is definitely in play on multiple holes, with the pin on Hole 14 all but begging for a lost disc.

- Briar patches and poison ivy abound if your drive goes off track.
Other Thoughts: Since my extended family lives close to the park, I knew about the disc golf course as Forked Run long before I actually took up the game, and honestly I was surprised that a facility in extremely rural Southeast Ohio would end up being one of the better courses I've played. Given, I gave up keeping score by about the seventh hole, but I try not to let my novice struggles interfere with my objective review of the course itself.

The course is very easy to find and well cared for by the park staff and local frisbee community, it seems. This was the first course that I'd run into more than two pin placements, and with accurate signage to boot. I can image this is a huge boon for the locals in keeping each round fresh with variety. I ended up playing on a day where every pin was in it's longest location, so it was fairly frustrating, but I definitely appreciate the options and wish my home course was as virbrant in that regard.

The course is long, even before you consider the extra holes, and the hike can be a bear, especially during the sweltering summer heat we're currently experiencing, but it's still an enjoyable stroll if you take your time. On-course snack bar helps in that regard.

I would agree with other commenters that the first couple and last few holes were a bit unimaginative, but still a challening distance when the road OB is taken into consideration. My only real hard and fast complaint is the pint on Hole 14, which I think it almost completely unfair to someone not more than willing to lose their disc in the reservoir.

Long and short, this is probably the best course I've played in the local area, and I'll definitely be back when I'm in town.

< Prev 1 2 3