Reedsville, OH
Hole #5 Blue Tee

Highly Recommended

2-4    5/29/2010   5/29/2010
Review By: mcmyers640
Pros: *6 Pin placements for each hole
*Current pin placements are marked on every sign
*Signs lay out distances for all pin placements and locations for all pin placements
*Very easy to navigate. Directions to next holes are written on orange wooden signs that are easily seen.
*Very balanced course (long shots, short shots, open shots, tight technical shots, bomb shots, touch shots, hyzers, anhyzers). My buddy used every single disc in his bag as did I.
*Ranger shop after 14 (I think) that has gatorade and water. Nice guy, be sure to pop in a say hello.
*Am and Pro tees that are marked by painted tops of posts
*Concrete tees
Cons: *I can't think of any. If I had to think of something, I would say that the thick bush can eat you up (thorns, branches, ivy), but that was pretty much my fault in flipping my disc to the right. You win course.
Other Thoughts: This is a great place to come for a camping trip. There's fishing and cornhole there as well, All facilities and park land look very well maintained. It was well worth the 2 hour drive from Columbus as it is one of the premier courses in Ohio to play.

There is a lot of hiking (terrain changes), a little walking, but more hiking on this course. I could see that after a wet day this course would be tough to walk through. Bring hiking boots or shoes with a change of socks if you go early in the morning or a day or two after a rain.

After reading the reviews before my buddies and I played I know I was a bit discouraged and I was only more discouraged when I saw about 8 or 9 baskets right off the road when we first pulled in. Don't be discouraged! This course deserves a 4.5 rating. I'm more than willing to come back to the course and play it again. Play all 24 holes. You might want to skip 23 because there's not much fairway. Good luck!

Don't be afraid to bring the kids out for a camping trip. This place has a top notch disc golf course to top off some great outdoor activities.

Awesomeness

2-4    5/23/2010   5/23/2010
Review By: culinarywiz
This review was updated on 1/6/2012
Pros: Wonderfully Balanced.

Great Signage

Multiple Pins

Dual Concrete Pads

Very Well Maintained

Ranger Station around half way point with beverage and snack sales
Cons: Really, the only true con I can think of is a few holes are too close to the road - almost funny when you consider the vast land available
Other Thoughts: I believe the true testament of how great a course is derives from its diversity. I played this course with a couple other guys and we found ourselves talking on hole 21 about whether there were any shots missing. We unanimously agreed that this course had pretty much all the shots you could hope for. You have nice elevation shots - up and down. Wide open bomb shots, including a big 800 footer. Tight wooded shots. You shoot from the woods out and from the open in. There are water holes, sloping greens and dense rough. You will need to anny, shoot her strait, hyzer and carve some flex shots.

You could play this course 100 times and never play the same layout. Mind you, I only played this course today, but each hole had between 5-6 pin placements. Each placement was identified by a letter between A and F. These placements were incredibly diverse. They varied strongly in distance, direction and lines. Each of the dual red and blue pads had a tag identifying the current placement. Each tee sign covered all the lines and distances for all the placements, regardless of were the pin was. Beautifully detailed. The pins seemed to be randomly scattered...some on A, some on C, some on E...etc.

Also, the 'next tee' signs were very helpful. They were bright orange and accurate. I looked briefly for a map before I left for the course and couldn't find one. No sweat. Wouldn't have used it if I had one.

The park seems like a great spot to bring the family. Next time I make the trip, I will bring the troops. It was a great time. The park and course is beautifully kept. I will be back before this summer is out.

Forking Overrated!

1    5/3/2010   5/11/2010
Review By: optidiscic
Pros: There is diversity here. With open field flat holes weaving amongst sycamores, dense woods, extreme uphill climbs, floaters downhill, a unique along the dam shot, and long and short holes. Multipole tees and baskets provide variety for locals and different skill levels. Bathrooms and water available in the camping area to the rear of this pretty and remote park. The course starts out tame and then cranks it up a notch.
(best holes are 7-16)
hole 7, a steep climb through woods to a protected pin.
Hole 8, floats downhill out of the woods to a grassy green.
Hole 9, another climb upward
Hole 10, extreme uphill and then a precise lane to the basket..sloped danger abounds here
Hole 11, floater through woods to basket below
Hole 12, very long arduous journey through woods to creekside green
Hole 13 & 14 play with the gorgeous lake sloping to your left to pretty pin locations.
Hole 15 shoots across the top of the dam with a drop to the right and the lake to your left WOW!
Hole 16 either a fun ace run putter downhill off the dam or a longer right turning shot from further away.
From there its more open and flat with a few longer holes to test your big arm before ending up technical in the woods. I really enjoyed the long championship holes and the chance at a few aces sprinkled in.
Cons: A few walkbacks confused me, especially after holes 10 and 12. Seems 2 of the best holes were abandoned and replaced with duds. See fairway to your right on tee 4 that cuts an alley of trees and also notice the amazing fairway between the final 2 holes that would have been a perfect finisher with a fast green falling down a bank after a long controlled drive through the woods. (maybe these were old holes or not current pin positions?)I hated the tightness of hole 10s approach..not fun and equated to playing disc golf down a miniscule trail with a massive dropoff to the left....goodbye hyzer....too punitive w/o any real shot other than putt putt putt. Speaking of that dropoff..I saw all kinds of disc golf potential down in that wooded hillside that far surpassed many of the holes here. Hole 12 was a bit overgrown and tree/bush laden for it's length. The true letdown for me were the first 6 holes of blah and then the final batch of holes that were just flat and open or technical yet unremarkable. It's hard to leave a good impression when a course ends this way. I also felt there were too many ordinary holes for a supposed 4+ rated course.
Other Thoughts: I am sure the greater Ohio community is gonna hate me for this but I drove a far way to get here and dealt with major flooding to find a course that simply was not that special. I think it has potential though and there are a few standout holes that I will remember. Maybe these holes got lost in all the blander holes. I would start at hole 17 and play the course finishing at hole 16 so that the best holes come last. Or I might skip holes 1-5 and just play 6-24 as the first batch of holes do little for me other than warm up and wear out your arm. I almost think this is such a piece of land that the flatter portion to the front of the park could provide a beginner friendly 18 that would cater to campers and recreational players as well as be a great glow course and then some more dramatic holes could be added in those woods along that cliffside of 10 with plunges downward and climbs upward to make a separate killer championship pro level 18. As it stands now its a mixed mess of 1/3 great holes and 2/3 boring holes. There are far better courses that deserve the 4+ rating out there. If it were 2 distinct courses..one that kicked your ass and one that healed your ego I think it would be more of a true DG destination.

Home, sweet home!

5+    3/21/2010   3/23/2010
Review By: Darth Bob
Pros: A beautiful park. Great people. Fantastic views. And a challenging course, with lots of other outdoor activities right there. This place is Disc Golf Heaven!!!!
Cons: If you dont like hills, then this is`nt the place for you. Other than that, none!
Other Thoughts: I cut my teeth on this course. It`s my home course and I can`t think of a better place to learn the game!!!!!

Forked Run

1    12/13/2009   12/13/2009
Review By: airforcechck
Pros: Really Big and Spread Out. Mix of Terrain, up hills Through Woods (plenty of trees to hit). Has long and short tees. There is signs showing different ways to attain the shots. It gives the distances and PAR that the hole is.
Cons: There isn't many signs pointing to the next hole. Some of the holes have signs but they aren't all in good locations to really see them. There aren't many trash cans I think we saw one. Bathrooms are really spread out, you have to walk awhile to get to them (unless you're a male)
Other Thoughts: We enjoyed this park, we had a couple friends come up from NC to play with us. We almost lost one disc down a hill into water. There are three holes where if you mess up you could lose a disc to the water.

It's as fun as it is big

1    9/5/2009   10/11/2009
Review By: Bikinimower
Pros: Enormous
Great mix of shots, you got technical shots, Open field long shots to just unload on. you use just about every type of throw and there are some tremendous change in altitude.
The park its in is a very nice and well kept park.
Wasn't to crowded
Each hole has several different pin placements so it's great for any skill level (except for first timers)
Cons: There really aren't any. I was recovery from a knee injury when I played it and had a little trouble with the terrain, but you can't really blame the course for that. Just be ready for a hike.
Other Thoughts: My favorite thing about this course were the change in elevation shots. Especially loved hole 16! If you live anywhere in Ohio, this one is definitely worth a road trip. Easily one of Ohio's top 5 courses.

a must play

2-4    5/9/2009   5/10/2009
Review By: spookytay
This review was updated on 9/18/2010
Pros: +all holes have 4+ pin placements
+regular and pro pad tee placements
+wooded, open fields, hills and very all of them technical a very nice mix
+24 holes to play
+never really crowded
+camping available
+most holes have benches and good tee signs
Cons: -stays very wet during rainy seasons, bring extra socks and shoes
-some pins only have single chains (2009)
-can be very difficult depending on pin placements
-no trash cans, I heard from someone, they had to cut back due to budget restrictions, may change in the future (2009)
-a distant drive, but worth it
-there isn't much business around, so bring drinks and food with you
Other Thoughts: I played this course about 7 or 8 years ago and it was fun not as many holes at the time, played it again, holes have changed for the better and many more were added, well worth the change and updates. Hope to get myself down there again to play it. This is a fun course and my all time #1 favorite, you have to check it out!

Kudos to SE Ohio

5+    10/18/2008   11/9/2008
Review By: spenlee3
Pros: This is by far the best course we have played to date. Technical holes, long distance, water, scenic vistas, multiple pin locations, multiple teepads, concrete tee pads, and maintained extremely well. Some awesome huge old trees with character in these woods. Benches at most holes. Be sure to look for the extra holes in the woods out by the main entrance!
Cons: The pin locations didn't always match the signs, but the system could be easily changed by "evil doers" This was not a huge deal if you just look before you throw! Could use more trash cans, as the few here were overflowing, but at least the trash was in one place.
Other Thoughts: Great, beautiful campgrounds, lake and nature at its finest. We will make a weekend out of this place many times in the future. Highly reccomended.

A workout; not for casual players.

1    8/9/2008   8/10/2008
Review By: gcoghill
This review was updated on 11/9/2008
Pros: Well-maintained course, nice mix of hole types, multiple basket placements, challenging.
Cons: A bit of backtracking on a majority of the holes, map & actual basket location was off for most of the baskets.

Course varies from extremely difficult holes, to open baskets in wide-open fields. Lots of thick brush OB on a majority of the holes.
Other Thoughts: As mentioned in the 'cons' above, the course varies dramatically from very plain, open-field holes to baskets placed in very obscure and difficult locations on extremely hilly terrain. Some of the baskets placed in difficult spots required arbitrary backtracking. I suppose it could have been just the nature of the pins in play at the time.

There are multiple pin placments on all of the holes, yet they seemed to be incorrect on the tee maps for most of the holes we played (if not all - we stopped using the tee maps since they were of little use).

I wanted to like this course, but the simple holes were too simple, and the challenging holes seemed to be difficult rather than testing your skill. There was a lot of holes where you felt as if you were just tossing the disc uphill and following after it, only to have to backtrack downhill and walk to the next tee. Some very cool holes in the wooded areas however.

This course is not for casual play or tag-along friends - you'll be put to work for more than half this course, and discs are easily lost by those without good disc control.

The state park on which the course is located is decent, but more of a 'weekend camper' park than a scenic destination. Lots of other activities (boating, swimming, hiking) for those in your family/group that might not want to play disc golf.

Worth the drive

5/24/2008   7/11/2008
Review By: timg
Pros: Forked Run was scenic, very well maintained course with great tee signs and very helpful/friendly locals. Each tee sign had a little tag indicating the basket placement which was very nice. The local club takes great pride in this course and you can tell.
Cons: The only major knock I have against this course is the layout. You will need a map or someone to guide you since finding some tee locations would be very difficult on your own. Luckily we had a local (Thanks Jereme!) that helped us out.
Other Thoughts: Elevation, woods, open field shots, this course had it all. Dual concrete tees on just about every hole, multiple pin positions and some really challenging holes made for a great round. When I was there, all the pins were in their short positions and I played from the long tees. The layout I played made for some tough holes.. then I was shown the long positions on those same holes and felt that I got off easy!

As you can see from the pictures, the course mostly takes place in a park like setting with some great elevation on many holes. The woods holes that are here are tough and long.. don't expect aces or deuces.. actually, don't even consider them!

#15 is what I would consider the signature hole. Both tees start you off on the top of a berm with steep drops on either side. To your left you'll find a large pond and to the right, a steep drop. The long position on this hole places the basket on top of the berm making you really consider your shot. One misstep and you're in the drink! Unfortunately the short position is at the bottom of the hill which wasn't quite the exciting risk/reward situation that the long position would have been.

While there I also heard that 5 new holes maybe be in the works bringing the hole count up to 27.

Overall I really enjoyed my round here. The course presented a very nice mix of holes with varied terrain/landscape. Each hole was fun in its own way and I can't really pick out any one that I would consider to be bad. Perhaps there were a few not so exciting holes but none that are genuinely bad.

In conclusion, you can't go wrong by stopping at Forked Run. I made a 1.5 hour detour to play it and feel it was absolutely worth the trip.