Centralia, IL
Foundation Park DG Complex - Champ 18 Share
Uploaded By: Stevenunya Hole #8 (Taken 6/2014)

Champ Level Course

5+    8/21/2013   11/21/2013
Review By: discdanny
Pros: Foundation Park is a gnarly championship level course. This place will force even the most crafty veteran to really be on their A-game to shoot well on this course and can punish those less seasoned players. Out of the gate, you are faced with a 800+ monster and quickly move to gorgeous turnover tunnel shot.. You will have an opportunity to throw every disc in your bag as you wind through the gentle wooded hills of centrellia, IL. This place is really too awesome to describe and always seems to be pretty free of any other disc golf traffic at all.

Other Features:
-not so "rec" 9 hole course to warm up on!!!!!
-Concrete Tee Pads
-Multiple Pad locations
-Multiple Pin Placements
-Restrooms
-Pavilion
-Practice Basket
-Secluded/Peaceful place to golf
-Trash Cans (park is very clean)
Cons: -Isnt closer to my house
Other Thoughts: Personally one of my favorite places to play.. In my top 5 courses.. Thank you David Mac and Justin Bunnell.. This is really a job well done!!

A to Z course!

5+    9/28/2013   9/29/2013
Review By: cannon15
Pros: This course has everything from A to Z.

Lets start with the courses. You have two separate courses to play. A rec 9 perfect for beginners and families. Not many courses have an area where you can play at your leisure with out feeling like your in the way of people who already know how to play. And this course has not been neglected it features the same concrete pads and tee post as the champ side.

The Champ 18 is difficult and challenging yet enjoyable to play. The holes seem to have every variety of length and shot selection. The woods is thin enough you can find your disc when you get off line. That is a huge plus. Although this course has many long holes there are many strategic obstacles that prevent big arms from dominating. The champ side is a great course for tournaments and large group play.

The Tees--On the champ side you have very separate red an blue tees. On the rec side you have red blue and even youth yellow. A person could spend a day just playing all the different tee locations.

Pin locations are also changed seasonally by the local club.

There is a club that host a league and fund raising tournaments.

This is also a great park with bike trails, fishing, pavilions, rest rooms and plenty of room to park.
Cons: There are no cons I can find for this course or park.
Other Thoughts: Centralia is a fairly small town with your basic fast food restaurants and a walmart.

Awesome course-even better with Concrete

5+    9/18/2012   10/1/2012
Review By: discflyer1
Pros: Awesome use of the existing park and trail system. Challenging course that will test all parts of your game. Good mix of left to right and right to left playing holes. Bring your accuracy game!

Awesomely maintained and beautiful park.

A very decent Rec 9 accross the street that is a pretty good challenge also.
Cons: The creek crossings would be the weak spot now, though I hear there are some improvements coming in that area.

Distance from major cities is pretty good. But trust me, it's worth it!!!!!!!
Other Thoughts: A trip to Foundation Park is well worth it, make a day of it!!!

Local club of is full a a bunch of good guys that are more than willing to show you around.

This course is worthy of a National level tournament. Hopefully that will be recognized by the powers that be, and combined with the local club, make a big tournament here a reality

Awesome

5+    6/17/2012   6/18/2012
Review By: robyard1
This review was updated on 1/25/2014
Pros: This is a big course with new concrete tpads, gateway titans, mulitple pin positions, and 3 sets of t boxes (only reds are concrete, as of right now). This course has everything, long drives, a few short aceable baskets, creek comes into play a few holes, hills, trees, beautiful landscape. This park is very well taken care of. Has better creek crossings, It also has a 9 hole rec course on the other side of the park.
Other Thoughts: Concrete on both the 18 hole champ and 9 hole rec side of the park, sometime in the future adding another 9 holes to that. Its a great course, and its only getting greater!

Best course ever!!!

5+    5/25/2012   5/25/2012
Review By: stach23
Pros: Awesome shot variety, awesome scenery, course and park is very well maintained, Gateway Titans, concrete teepads, distance, everything!!!
Cons: This course is getting nowhere near the recognition that it should. But it will shortly! This course will very, VERY quickly become known as one of the top courses on the planet.
Other Thoughts: Ok guys. All you have to do is read all the reviews. This course achieved a 4.5 rating WITHOUT concrete teepads! Our lack of concrete was the #1 complaint, but guess what. We have concrete now!!! This is my home course, so I may be a little biased, but there is no other course I've played that comes anywhere close to the quality of this course. Everybody involved with the disc golf club here, and the people who run the park make sure the park is always in excellent shape! This course is well worth any drive! This course is the epitome of a hidden gem, but mark my words, the world will know about this course soon, and the world will love it.

Fun, Beautiful, And Challenging

5+    4/6/2012   4/8/2012
Review By: Tager23
Pros: -The course is set in a beautiful park that is almost always peaceful and quiet, Amazing for a relaxing fun round.

-The variety of holes is a huge plus, Long open "ball golf" like fairways where you can just rip it, to dense wooded shots that take great precision.

-Navigation is very easy with markers in the ground and even signs on some trees, also Scorecards w/ maps are always stocked. The course also plays very smoothly from hole to hole.(the course is long enough already, its great that the walking from hole to hole is minimized)

-Marked driving range parallel to hole #1 with markings from 150' to 550' which great for a day of field practice. Plus a practice basket for putting!

-All baskets are Titan-24's, by far my favorite baskets and all are in great condition.

-I love that there are grills for cooking out, bathrooms, and shelter right at the start of the course. Really great for when i take groups out to spend the day disc golfing and just to enjoy the park.

Cons: -Natural teepads are a downer and would lower my score, BUT money is being raised now and concrete is going in soon!

-Poison ivy is abundant, and i get it very easy. But again the local club actually takes there time to go around and kill any poison ivy that will interfere with play. so again this would lower my rating but simply knowing that the club is doing there best to control the problem makes me look past it.

Retraction of Negative Review

2-4    11/27/2012   12/1/2011
Review By: Shade Seeker
This review was updated on 11/29/2012
Pros: I returned for my second go at Foundation one year after I gave it a less than stellar review. My initial claim was that this course was great for big arms but too tough for players like myself who can't throw a country mile.
This year I approached the course with a different attitude. I knew what to expect, I knew it was long and challenging, but this time I would shape my strategy accordingly. I concentrated on placing my shots and trying to manage each hole wisely. In the process, I found myself enjoying the round more than any I have played in a long time. I learned to appreciate the length as an opportunity to test my skills far more than I'm able to do on a typical, par 54 course. I marveled at the beautiful design and the way the holes flow through the terrain.
I enjoyed the front nine last year. The journey through the woods and over the creek is as fun as disc golf gets, in my opinion. Holes 6-8 are my favorite holes on the course. I love the way that 7 and 8 both play over the creek, but not on the first shot (at least for me). Here's where good placement accuracy counts as your drive has to set up your second shot to go over the water.
The back 9 gave me fits last year. I found it much more manageable this time around by whittling the length down to little bite sized pieces. Even if you only throw 250 feet, you can still be near the 800 footer in three shots, providing you place them accurately. Simple math means par is possible on most of these holes, even for finesse players like me.
Cons: I'm retracting all the negative things I wrote here in my initial review. I realize that the real negative was my own attitude. Honestly, I find no faults in Foundation at all. No, it's not easy to make pars and birdies here, but that's what makes it so fun.
Other Thoughts: I can hardly believe this was the same course I whined about a year ago. When I finished that first round I vowed I would never be back. But reading the reviews of others caused me to re-think my opinion and I'm so glad I gave it another chance. Now it's one of my favorite courses ever and I can hardly wait to play it again. With the new concrete tee pads in place, I have to give Foundation a high 5!

Nothing Better In The Area!

5+    9/17/2011   9/19/2011
Review By: Stevenunya
Pros: Gateway Titans
Variety of shot types
Pavilions with fireplace grills
Water during the warmer times of the year
Lots of trees not native to the area that were planted 100+ years ago
Cons: Limited designated parking although there's plenty along the side of the not so busy road
Not as busy as I prefer (although that can be a bad thing in sometimes)
Other Thoughts: Easily the best course within 100 miles of St. Louis.

5+    7/21/2009   6/16/2009
Review By: smclean09
This review was updated on 7/23/2009
Pros: through a round you will have thrown all of the shots in your arsenal other than 3 pars most can not reach green from tee so shot placement is essential! It is challanging, in fact statistics from the 2007 gateway open with
'b placements" had this course the highest ssa (scratch scoring average) of any course (71.6-red and 72.1 from blue). some of the problems with difficulty finding tees have been addressed including wooden guides to next tees on certian holes.
Cons: natural teepads (very rough in certian conditions),and poisen ivy is often punishment for a bad throw though if you just throw it in the fairway you will have no problem.three holes go over a creek and only one has a actual crossing( a crooked ladder) but the club have tried to fix this issue.

it's getting closer...update: it's there

5+    6/3/2012   2/21/2009
Review By: hognosesucker
This review was updated on 2/15/2014
Pros: -offers a good mix of holes (long/short, technical/open, hyzer/anhyzer/straight)
--good test of all shot types
-many holes require lay up shots, while you can 'go for it,' the smart play is to lay up.
-Also many placement/setup shots where from the tee, you have to put your shot in a 40-50 ft circle to have a chance at a 3 (number 5, 7, 11)
-you are punished by the rough for an errant shot
-many true par 4 holes
-new signs between holes ease navigation problems for first timers.
-Two tee positions and two pin placements.
-Facilities include grills, water fountains accessible at parking lot, after 9, after 10 (across creek), after 17 and 18, bathrooms, and 9 holer across the Rd.
--update for May 2012-nice 12x5 concrete tees on the red tees.
--concrete columns across most creek spots, except for 18, which is generally low and has a bridge toward the road for high water crossing.
Cons: -a lot of poison ivy grows off the fairways, but is taken care of annually by the club.
-not beginner friendly, but there is a recreational course onsite.
Other Thoughts: This is the best course in IL that I've played (98 played in IL), it is a little off the beaten path, so it doesn't get a lot of use. It has good tight fairways, and really makes you place your shots wisely for up shots. Also the rough has not been beaten down too much so it's pretty wild off the fairways.

If you need a guide or want a local to join you. go to www.centraliadiscgolf.com , go to the message board and post up under 'Tee Times'

Also, you can find a GPS course map on the site.

All pins are in 'A' position as of Aug 2010

UPDATE 1/10/10:
new steps down to creek on 11 with concrete stepping stones poured to cross. Similar crossings are planned for 2010.
UPDATE 8/2010: steps poured for the creek crossing at 8, new blue tee posts put in at most holes (2, 4, 6, 8, 17, 18 don't have posts, but are easy to find (generally directly behind reds, 10-70 ft back)
UPDATE: 12/2010: both driving range (50 ft increments) and practice basket with 5 ft incremental markers installed
UPDATE: 5/2012 concrete tee pads
Update 2013 nice bridge installed on 7