Frisco, CO
Peak One DGC Share
Uploaded By: klay   (Taken 9/2009)
Sign at entrance to Frisco Peninsula Rec Area

< Prev 1 2 3 4
No Longer "Heavily Wooded"

2-4    6/2/2016   6/2/2016
Review By: markmcc
Pros: This is a perfectly decent course, but not what I expected at 9000 feet in the Colorado Mountains (see cons).

There is a lot of variety in hole length. From a short 198' out to 686' you'll get a chance to drive with everything from putters to distance drivers. About half of the holes are in the 250' - 350' range.

While there was some moderate elevation on some of the holes to add interest and challenge, there were no huge uphill or epic downhill throws.

Beautiful views of the surrounding mountains and adjacent Lake Dillon. I didn't find that the lake was in play on any hole, but it appears to be down some. It may be more of an issue when full.

Good concrete tee pads and decent baskets. Simple tee signs gave hole number, par, and distance. This course gets a lot of use so well-worn paths between holes make navigation a breeze. Plenty of trash cans and benches. Some of the benches are old ski lift seats which is a nice touch.
Cons: There are literally hundreds of stumps where the beetle-killed mature pines have been cut down and removed. Left behind are plenty of 8' - 15' tall pines, all of which can be easily thrown over. So there are no tunnels or even tight lines to hit on most of your drives. You do need to land your disc in the open to avoid throwing out of a thicket, but driving is mostly in the open.

Tee signs do not include a hole diagram or an indicator of which position the pin is in. The distances also seem off on many holes, perhaps due to one distance being listed but at least two available pin positions.

Many of the pins are out-of-sight from the tee, so you'll do plenty of walking forward to spot baskets on your first round.

This course can get crazy busy. My first attempt to play was at 1:00 on a sunny early summer afternoon. The course was mobbed with large groups of casual golfers. A disc in one hand and a beer in the other, with a loose dog or two in each group. Pure chaos. My next round at 8:30 am a few days later was much less crowded.

Some of the tees are close enough to the previous basket to create possible conflicts when the course is full. Heads up!!
Other Thoughts: This course in located in the Frisco Nordic Complex which seems to be the hub of outdoor activity in Frisco. With the lake, trails, BMX course and other attractions there are a lot of folks here during the summer season. So be prepared for crowds which may include a lot of inexperienced or unaware golfers. Early morning is your friend if you want a quiet round.

Very nice course with amazing lake and mountain views

1    6/1/2016   6/1/2016
Review By: ryyedogg
Pros: Concrete tee pads and small benches at every hole is big plus. There is usually a path leading to the next hole making navigation easy. Many types of shots will be needed to score well which is good for advanced and pro players. Plenty of trees and up and downhill shots make for exciting rounds. There are also multiple pins on every hole to change things up. Some of the views of the lake and mountains from the course are very pretty.
Cons: Not an easy course for beginners. It's also not hard for nearly anyone to lose a disc here on any given day with all the trees on the fairways. The course does get crowded as I experienced today so don't let it surprise you.
Other Thoughts: I didn't think this course would be as good as the Dillon lake dgc but I was definitely wrong. It was every bit as good and maybe better. This is definitely a course that rec and serious players can both enjoy.

A good course on its own, but it's worth playing just for the scenery!

2-4    8/23/2015   8/26/2015
Review By: Lewis
Pros: The best thing about this course is its setting. I have only played it in August, when the snow is gone from the mountains, but at 9000' in the Rockies, there are probably months when it is even more beautiful. The scenery around me took my mind off my score, which was fine, because just being there in the natural beauty throwing discs around was more fun than trying to set a personal best would have been.

The course is laid out well enough that it is not difficult to follow the flow of the course from basket to tee pad, even for visitors from out of state, and the baskets and pads are all in good condition. The pads are all concrete, and large enough for a tall player to feel comfortable on them, and the baskets, I believe, are all an older model of Innova Discatcher. I also appreciated the practice basket that is installed near hole #1.

The layout was also pretty good. Although there are no "signature" holes, there are no bad holes, nor any that seemed like a waste or misuse of the space. I hear the area has suffered from a plague of pine beetles that has killed off a lot of the forest, but I don't think this has negatively affected the Peak One disc golf course. The fairways were fair, and since there is virtually no undergrowth or "shule" on the course, you'll never find yourself "in jail" after a bad drive. This seems to me to make the course more forgiving than many others I've played, with the challenges on the course coming from distance, wind, and play between the trees, with less of a premium on keeping your drive in the fairway, and more opportunities to "save" a hole with a quality second shot.

The lack of undergrowth also makes it easy to find discs that leave the fairways, which is a very helpful feature for a course that has so many "blind" tee shots.

Finally, I found the course very easy to play at a fast pace as a solo player, with no backups at any holes, and the local players happy to let me play through when I caught them. I saw no litter, no rudeness, and no selfishness -- only friendly disc golfers enjoying the course. This is the way it should be everywhere, but since it isn't, it's is a nice treat to experience in Frisco.
Cons: The course's biggest weakness is its tee signs. There is a tee sign present at each hole, but since each hole has at least two basket positions, and the tee sign only shows one distance, what you see on the sign may or may not be relevant. I suspect the tee signs all show distances to the "A" basket positions, but I couldn't honestly tell, since most of the baskets were in the longer "B" positions when I was there. Most of the baskets were not visible from the tee pad anyway, so your best solution is to scout the basket locations on foot, and throw by feel until you are familiar with the course. The difference in the "A" positions and "B" positions is sometimes way over 100', and it might add up to a difference of 1000' or more if the basket positions were all "A" vs. all "B", so it would be nice to get that second distance marked on the tee signs.

Another oddity about the layout, especially in the "B" positions, is that some holes seem to have no fairway to the basket. You have to throw blind over the tops of low-growing (young?) pine trees, and learn the direction to throw by experience. I was also a bit confused at times by the angle of the tee pad relative to the basket. It's impossible to aim concrete pads directly at two different basket locations, but there were a few pads that seemed to skew wildly off in an odd direction, not really at either basket location. I don't know if this could be corrected or not, but it ultimately didn't case me any serious problems, since the pads are wide enough to allow a diagonal run-up.
Other Thoughts: At this altitude, I was afraid I would be sucking wind around the whole course, but Frisco is in a relatively flat valley among the mountains, so this was not a "ski slope" course that sends you up and down steep hills. A local player I met actually said it is converted into a cross-country skiing area during the winter, which should tell you what kind of elevation changes the course has: moderate hills, but overall on a fairly level plot of land.

I didn't suffer from altitude sickness, but the air is definitely thinner up there, so expect to be winded until you're acclimated to the altitude. Also it's a very dry area, so bring lots of water or sports drinks to stay hydrated, and wear sunscreen. I didn't take the advice seriously enough that you get sunburned more easily at high altitudes, and ended up with sunburned forearms. I'm okay, but don't be the guy that gets lobster red because you stayed out all day on a sunny day.

The elevation didn't seem to make my discs fly farther, but they definitely flew differently. My stable discs became overstable, my understable discs flew straight, and my overstable discs became virtually useless meathooks. On the other hand, the distance that the discs faded didn't seem all that far -- instead of fading way wide, they seemed to just drop out of the sky when they started to fade. The only way I could achieve a left-to-right curving flight (rhbh) was to throw my most understable discs with significant anhyzer; my Prodigy F7, my beat up Pro Katana, and my beat-to-silly-flippy Blizzard Boss were able to hold an anhyzer line, but nothing else in my bag would. I got the best results driving with the Katana, the Blizzard Boss, and my Star Valkyrie. Moral of the story: bring understable to stable discs, and leave the overstable discs at home. I think the thin air gave my discs less glide, but slowed their forward progress less, so the total distance on a good flight line was about the same as I'm used to at 1000' above sea level around Atlanta. You just have to go about getting your good flight line in a different way.

Something else to keep in mind is that the course is always windy, with ever-present strong, gusty wind on the holes by the lake, so bring your heavy, stiff, wind-fighting putters.

As close to a destination course as it gets!

2-4    8/23/2014   8/29/2014
Review By: AndyJB
Pros: -Fabulous views
-Many changes in elevation without being grueling to walk
-Tons of natural obstacles that are tough but fair
-Super easy to navigate
-High quality baskets
-Well - maintained course; the disc golf course is located on a huge multi- use property yet remains isolated from all the other activites
Cons: -Quite a few blind shots that require either intimate knowledge of the course or a long scouting mission up the fairway
-Odd mix of hole lengths...either huge number holes or short ace runs, very few in the middle holes
-Nor a huge con but this course IS at slightly over 9000 feet above sea level so prepare thyself for some huffing and puffing
Other Thoughts: I played this course at the Mile High Classic. To be honest, I never would have have played this course if it wasn't for the tourney as it is almost a three hour drive for me.

I'm glad I made the trip. The course is beautiful and very fun to play. I really shot myself in the foot the second round by playing too aggressive (I was in fifth place after the first round) but this course is very, very fair and tons of fun.

It can be a bit of a slog, so this course is best played with a group of quality friends. Keep in mind though, this is a big multi- use property so don't take advantage of Colorado ' s recent laws. That would be a good way to get this fantastic course pulled.

5+    8/16/2014   8/17/2014
Review By: nolan24970
Pros: -Great Views
-Good variety of terrain on holes
-Well taken care of
-2-3 hole placements for each hole, and the pins get switched around every month or so
-Has a great practice pin to warm up on, by the parking lot
Cons: -Can get very crowded around 4-6pm
-Sometimes after pin has been moved it is difficult to find due to lack of signage, but I enjoy this surprise
Other Thoughts: I have seen cops walking around this summer, saying that they're going to start enforcing leash laws, open container laws, and smoking out in the open. I talked to an officer and he said nearby houses were complaining. He was lenient and told us to simply dump our beers out, but said we could get minor tickets in the future.
I come here regularly though and have not seem them since that occasion, but still be careful!

9000 feet up

1    8/2/2014   8/5/2014
Review By: iblanchard
Pros: The course was very well maintained. Excellent views of the mountains surrounding the town. It is 9000 feet in elevation, but there are no giant slopes up or down a mountain you have to walk around. There is a variety of distances and the trees give you good obstacles to work around. The course was easy to find.
Cons: There could be better signage. There are some blind shots that you can not see the basket and would have to hunt for the basket if you did not know where it was. Also some of the distances were off because they did not account for the different pin placements. For example hole two was clearly over 400 feet despite the sign saying under 300.
Other Thoughts: When you park you first see the practice basket, walk past it until you find the billboard with a map of the course. Can be a busy course. I was also told to look at the bolts on the signs to see where the basket was placed on blind shots.

Awesome

5+    8/12/2013   7/5/2014
Review By: xskatx
This review was updated on 10/2/2014
Pros: Very Long Holes w/ elevation changes. Not too hard of a hike, Beautiful scenery, right off of lake dillon. The design of the course is great and I love the "open fairways between the trees. It makes it a unique mountain course because it isn't as difficult to navigate your disc through the trees. I played here several times and it is a blast!
Cons: Not very many technical holes. The map isn't very helpful in the beginning. I would like the course to be marked a lot better. It is difficult to know where to aim playing the first time because there are a lot of blind tee shots with no signage.
Other Thoughts: This is a must play course simply for the views. It's also not overly difficult, there are nice fairways due to the beetle kill

Wonderful Course!

1    6/22/2014   6/25/2014
Review By: HiHi843
Pros: The views were amazing. The trees provide challenges, but none too difficult. The trees do like to grab discs and steal them from players. Make good use of your tree climbing skills and rock throwing skills if you have them!
Cons: Just a small thought to put to mind: the terrain is filled with rocks (big and small), fallen trees, stumps, and other natural objects. Just watch where you are walking and you will be good!
Other Thoughts: I've been playing for 3 weeks, and this was my second course I have played. I enjoyed every aspect of it, and evenmeet some really awesome players! If you're in the area, you should definitely check it out! Recommend 110%!

3 rounds on a beautiful summer day

2-4    6/21/2014   6/21/2014
Review By: dmarsh27
Pros: Beautiful Saturday in June... played three rounds in a row (without wearing out) ... steady stream of people, but not too much waiting around past hole 1... friendly strangers... I play forehand and backhand, and this course invited lots of both... nice variety in distances... for pros, there are lots of birdies out there, but if you don't know the course, you'll be shooting blind more than a few times... tee pads are easy to find and are close, and the course is easy to navigate from baskets to pads... nice mountain and lake views... cooler temps than metro area... nice benches and places to rest... clearly cared for by the locals (and lots of them) ... a small field for warming up, and a practice basket... public restroom and drinking fountain near hole 1... free.
Cons: families on vacation... some elevation change, but overall it's pretty flat... lots of good holes, but no unforgettable holes... a little crowded... distances on signs were frequently off and generally not that helpful.
Other Thoughts: fairways and gaps are relatively wide (compared to Conifer, for example)

1    6/21/2014   6/21/2014
Review By: jeffboi
Pros: Great course with awesome views. Concrete tee pads and baskets in perfect condition. The locals are friendly and I recommend you try to play with one the first few times around. Nice use of elevation and creative design. If you look at the tee signs they use a system with ball golf tees telling you which side you will find the baskets. I highly recommend you play this course.
Cons: It is a bit hard to navigate and some baskets are behind trees making it somewhat challenging to follow the track.
Other Thoughts: The managers of the course like to change it up to keep it interesting for the locals; look for the white golf tees in the tee markets to make it easier to navigate. There is one section in the middle of the course which is a little confusing if you don't know the course.

< Prev 1 2 3 4