Ashland, OR
Frog Creek DGC @ Shale City Share
Uploaded By: nevermore321 Hole #11 (Taken 6/2011)
3 / 234ft.   3 / 234ft.   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #11 Target

Beautiful

1    1/5/2014   1/5/2014
Review By: Kamper76
Pros: Beautiful wooded course, perfect amount of obstacles and elevation change to add a challenge, get a little work out while walking threw the course, natural look with minimal signs of human tampering,
Cons: A little hard to find the holes if it is your first time, some of the signs telling you where holes are and their par are missing or worn down, can loose a disk or two if you aren't careful.
Other Thoughts: A great course, exactly what I would imagine if I pictured an Oregon style disk golf course, and possible to do without a guide, so don't be afraid to try regardless of some of the reviews, it just might take you a little wondering around at first to figure it out.

Fun Course

1    6/9/2013   6/11/2013
Review By: ogdenmoles10
Pros: Remote location in the woods so nice and quiet. Even if there are people on the course you either don't see them very long or you don't hear them. The toms are perfect for this course. I agree with others baskets on this course would take away from the nature setting of this course. You will get a great workout during this course.
Cons: If you are coming from Klamath Falls past Hyatt Lake on Dead Indian road when you turn onto Shale you need to follow it down to the other end because that is where the course is. It's hard to find the next hole on some for example we got to 5 and we thought the basket was to the right and when we got to the toms we discovered we were on hole 8 so we skipped 5-7. Again I believe it was hole 13 it's confusing where tee 14 is and where the tom is.
Other Thoughts: Make some new signs for each tee and at the end of each hole have a sign showing you which way the next tee is. Or at least have a map of the course online so you can print it out before you go.

Ashland course

5+    6/15/2011   6/15/2011
Review By: wildrivers
Pros: Gorgeous old growth with some meadows to hike through. Lots of elevation changes. Water shots! Lots of OB areas. Pretty clean area. Quiet too. Most shots are under 400ft. Lots of varity for throwers, up hill, down hill,over trees and around obstacles.
Cons: Finding the first tee may be hard for newbies. Once the first tee is found it is fairly easy to find the trails to the next tee. Can be wet and marshy in spring or shortly after wet weather. No baskets. No cement tees. Its a BLM forest and the locals made the best use out of it.
Other Thoughts: This course is a rough one in an old growth forest. Be prepared to hike and look around for the toms/baskets. Some tees have signs some do not. At this time I could not find hole 18 and it may not exist. The rock pile on hole 17 has been removed. Not an area for strollers. It is a great spot to take the dog! Very challenging course. Enjoy.

SO MUCH FUN!

2-4    3/5/2011   5/6/2011
Review By: snoopysports
Pros: Frog Creek was the first disc golf course I ever played and what started my love affair with disc golf. To me THIS is disc golf in Oregon: real, rugged, deep in the woods on a mountain. It had started out as a hiking trip, but the road up to grizzly peak was blocked by snow, so we decided to pull-over near where we saw other cars parked near this little tree on the side of the road. Trekking into the woods, we saw all these posts with coffee cans with yellow and pink neon tape. "You know what this is?" Jeff asked. "Some sort of logging territory?" I guessed.
"No, this is a disc golf course!"
We had both seen the discs at Magic Man, so we knew where to get them. Armed with only a leopard and a dragon, we returned to Frog Creek only to experience the funniest, most enjoyable day in the woods ever!
This course is like an adventure. Every hole feels like it's own nook of the forest. If you're into hiking and the Great Outdoors like me you'll just love it. It does take a some tracking to find the next hole/tee sometimes. When we played, there was snow in some parts, but it was no problem. You toss over the creek, downhill, around the trees, every kind of hole you could want! Since it's never crowded, it's a good course for bringing a picnic and taking your time and making a whole day out of it. I only wish I could find more courses as rugged and deep in nature as this!
Cons: We went back to play again a few weeks later after a storm and this time the snow was up to my thighs! One of my discs sliced down into the snow and almost completely disappeared! But we also found a disc in this pile of snow and the disc was all faded out and looked like it had been stuck up in a tree for years. We had to stop at the fourth hole because we couldn't tell where the creek was and had stepped in it a few times and our feet were turning to ice. So yeah, in winter it can be VERY extreme conditions. The road up there can even get iced and snowed out so you have to turn around. It varies.

Another con, I compare every course to this one and all the others seem too tame and urban.
Other Thoughts: There's also a little note bag by the tree near the tee on the first hole where it says when there's going to be a meet-up or if anybody lost a disc and stuff.

It's funny that the sign calls the pond "poo water" it sure does look like it! Bleh!

Don't let the tones deter

5+    10/10/2009   12/14/2009
Review By: trashmonster1985
Pros: -Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful, I love this place. If it were all about location, this would be one of my favorites.
-Fun and unique course. Lots of stuff you don't see at your average disc course. Water hazards, gun traps, you name it.
-Great for those days when you want to get out and hike around while you disc.
-For where it is, the pathways are pretty easy to follow.
-Quiet, secluded, very peaceful.
-Fun elevation changes throughout. Dogleg lefts, rights, fades. A little of every shot.
Cons: -Not so great if you want a quick mellow round.
-Some trash from local riff raff, I believe scorchy may have pegged the culprits.
-DON"T GO IN THE WATER! If a disc goes in just say good-bye. You don't want some nasty disease.
-Might not want to play course during hunting season. I used to hunt up that very road with my dad when i was a kid. This last year while we were up there playing we heard a few rifle booms, so decided to play it safe and head down to Bear Creek.
Other Thoughts: I'm really partial to wooded courses in the first place, so for me this place is borderline perfect. Even the tones don't seem to bother me out there. Most courses they are kind of a bummer, but at frog creek, it almost seems to work better. If it were to get 18 baskets, this place would immediately shoot to a 4. Get some tee-pads and it's a 4.5. I can't say it enough how much I like this course. Really mellow people at the course. If you even see anyone else while you are there. So don't let the tones deter you, this is a spectacular course worth playing all summer long.

Frog Creek Rules

5+    9/29/2009   9/30/2009
Review By: Scorchysrevenge
Pros: -Great location
-Diverse terrain and even some year round water!
-No waiting on others even on weekends
-Great layout
-Good workout

-Very challenging-makes every other course seem much easier
Cons: Easy to lose a disc (or find one!) Need to have a spotter on several holes...
Lots of gun nuts shooting on or near the course
Some pin locations obscured by trees and brush from tee
Cows on the course-shooing works great
Need a guide to navigate the first time or two
Hole 18 tee pad shrinking (top of gravel pile)
Other Thoughts: Tone poles and dirt tee pads take some getting used to, but you are in the woods-waddaya want?
Some of the people that use the course also like to leave trash around for others to pick up after-this sucks and is disrespectful-pack yer shit back to white city assholes. Its not like there arent trash bags throughout the course.

this one is out there

1    8/30/2009   8/30/2009
Review By: orghitman
Pros: unlike any other course i have ever played but this is also the first course i have played since moving to the west coast. great scenery and very peaceful atmosphere. only course close to ashland, or which is where i now live. thats kind of a bummer.
Cons: hard to find the first tee. no baskets but the coffee cans are a very cool idea. if something happens out there you are screwed. i have a feeling the little white signs showing each tees direction dont stay in the same place very long. if you play for the first time w/o someone who knows the course you really need to have a spotter for some of the holes or you can spend a while looking for your disc. DO NOT PLAY ALONE!
Other Thoughts: went out after a long day of sitting around my crappy hotel after the electric lock broke with all my stuff (keys, wallet, bike, money, etc) locked inside. drove right past it at first and almost gave up but then we saw a small pull off and noticed a beam with something shinny on it from the road. turns out it was the second goal. we only got threw the first 6 holes before having to go back bc of darkness. you can easily get lost once it gets dark. everything said i am really happy i played it and plan on going back out there once i find someone that can show me around. if you can find the course it is worth it in my opinion.

A Diamond in the Rough?

2-4    8/15/2008   8/14/2009
Review By: discgolforegon
Pros: - Situated in a beautifull valley deep in the woods.
- Old Growth forest, mixed with dryer high desert terrain
- Small water hazards present in the fall / spring
- Great views of shasta and surrounding mountains
- great mix of elevation and land usage
- Not much Poison Oak
Cons: - No restrooms
- Signage is incorrect on alot of holes
- Navigating this course is hard even with maps
- Heavy mosquitoes when the pond has water in it
- Short Natural tees, no room for runup on long holes
- hard to find the next tee sometimes
- Super Gnarly rough
Other Thoughts: This course considering its location and remoteness earns it a 3 in my book. If this course were to ever get some baskets, teepads its an instant 4.
Once you make the drive out there you will see what makes this a great course.
Bring lots of water there is NONE available.
Bears have been spotted in the area, but hey its Oregon.

Nothing Like It!!!

1    6/27/2009   7/4/2009
Review By: ninja-don
Pros: FREE.
Tee signs are good for letting you know what hole you are on, but not always clear on hole length or target position.
Elevation changes are incredible.
Benches through out, not on every hole but there are a bit of them and considering the area, I was surprised that there was some.
No crowds. Even though I only played this course once I can't imagine it would EVER be crowded. The benches there fore are useful for resting, which with the amount of hiking up and down and over semi rough terrain you'll need a rest.
Unique to anything you'll probably come across in disc golf.
Breathtaking views. I could see Mt. Shasta through the trees from hole 12's target.
Clean, no litter... but I think that could be from not very many golfers.
Targets are unique as well.
Cons: Tee pads are dirt, and mostly un-level and dangerous, run ups are not easy on most holes.
Finding the next hole even with a map is very hard. (print a map from links on this site... you will need it) I don't think I could have ever played this course if I didn't have guides.
No trash cans.
Targets are cool, but are a con to me only because I didn't find much of a challenge hitting them compared to keeping a disc in the chains. But these targets are still ok... they are 4 by 4's planted in the ground and have three metal coffee cans on top. Painted white with florescent orange tape creating a white orange white stripe effect. Easy to see once you get to were you can see them.
No bath rooms or drinking water (you are out in the deep woods here, plan accordingly).
Other Thoughts: I had a blast so don't get me wrong when I say that there is no way this course is a 4 like the other 2 people have reviewed. That being said;
I really liked the different type of play this course requires you to do. The post are cool to shoot at, but got old, and easy as time went on.
A 4 disc rating to me would have at least flat concrete tee pads, better tee signs, signs showing how to navigate to the next hole, out houses (at least) ect...
Now even though this course doesn't have these things it still is a course that I recommend playing, you will not find anything like this anywhere else. But at best I give this course A 2 disc rating.
I met some of the people who originated this course and without them I would have probably left after hole 6. It was so hard to figure out where to go. The only thing that helped was following the trail left by others who have walked it before. But that only lasted so long, thankfully I found guides.
The map may help a little, but it is deceptive since the map dose not show elevation.
I can count at least 10 times that I would have never found the next tee, and as many times that I would have never found the target without walking the hole first.
I'm sure I'll have more to say when I remember, but for now I recommend this course in the summer. You won't be able to play it in the winter.

1    5/8/2009   5/12/2009
Review By: Sunny
Pros: This is a fun course to play and well worth your time. There are a lot of trees but there is a fairway to get your disc to the tone-pole. The hot pink and white painted tone-poles are easy to spot. There is a map which we had and it helped guide us. At the tone-pole of #1 we noticed a path that was lined by tree branches which made finding the next tee easy. The tee pads are dirt but in reasonably level and smooth. It's not a long course but challenging and technical. There's also a couple of chances to air out your discs and good upward elevation changes making you work your arm.
Cons: It was a little hard to find the course. We passed it because the pond is little more then a puddle. The best indication that you are at the course is the pink and white tone-pole for #18 just on the other side of the pond. Finding the first tee and tone-pole was the only hard hole of the course. The course map also shows the tone-pole for #1 straight out from the road but it's actually to the right. Tee pad for #2 is rough but it's the only one that needs real work.
Other Thoughts: The creator put some effort into designing this home made course. The three 1 pound coffee cans making up the tone part of the tone-pole are ingenious. It's on BLM land so there's paint balls everywhere and a few of the tone-poles have doubled as targets by NRA fans but for the most part people seem to leave the course alone. I would definitely play this course again. It's cool to find a disc course on BLM land, I wish there were more.