Hays, KS
Frontier Park Share
Uploaded By: scarpfish Hole #6 (Taken 8/2009)

Old But Good

2-4    9/7/2014   9/9/2014
Review By: TalbotTrojan
Pros: This is a challenging little course set in a very nice park in the small town of Hays, KS. The design of the course has to be mentioned as simply amazing at time and really good the rest of the time. Shots range from nice and long and really short. The course tends to dictate what kind of shot you are going to throw and the more different shots you have the better. There are multiple tee pads and pin positions on every holes. There is enough space in the park that they could have 2 separate 18 holes courses. While other amenities may be a little far away, the park does have some very nice features including a the ability to turn this one course into two eighteen hole courses. There is a strong local club that does a great job with the course and setting it up for tournaments was second to none. There are a lot of trees on this course and most of them seem to come into play. Precision is a must on this course as I found out the hard way and did not shoot well..
Cons: Baskets are quite old, some of them definitely should be retired in favor of new baskets. The tee pads felt very short to be when we were playing off the tee pads. Even in the midst of a tournament there was enough park traffic that it become interesting on a couple of times. There is some water that you will not want to go into to retrieve a disc. Regular tee signs were less than ideal. Several baskets were all too close to a tees pad. Occasionally fairways will cross each other. The neighbors on one side are buffalo ranchers.
Other Thoughts: This course was a lot of fun and very challenging all at the same time. I played alternate layouts for this course for a tournament. I wish there was a piece of land like this close to where I live. This is a course worth the stop and time to play it. I believe that in the normal layout hole 1 is over as far West as you can go before not being in the park any longer. The A, B and C holes are able to be played on a regular basis and have permanent tees and baskets. One could either choose to start or to finish on these holes.

Middle of Nowhere Surprise

5+    9/10/2013   3/21/2014
Review By: hestingj
Pros: This is where I learned how to golf. Has great holes that will call for every kind of shot in the bag. Plus it is always blowing, which will help with your wind game. Lots of hazards to deal with (roads, water, sloping greens). Perfect resting place when heading through Kansas.
Cons: Some of the tees can be pretty close to the last basket...so watch your back.
Other Thoughts: Check out Ellis, KS (11 miles west) if you have time too.

Fun challenge

2-4    11/2/2013   11/18/2013
Review By: Chained Evil
Pros: This course has 2 sets of tees for every hole and there are also alt. pin placements. There is water threat on a few holes, especially on the holes where you tee off across the creek.
There are enough trees to keep this park style course interesting. Several of the holes require line shaping too.
There are long holes and short holes here as well depending on which set of tees you prefer to play.
There are other amenities here: restrooms, playgrounds, etc.
Some of my favorite holes here 5, 11, 16, & 17.
Cons: The biggest cons for me is the lack of signage on the stone markers. There was only one hole that still had the hole layout on a post and it was hard to read. This makes it difficult for the first timer or the out of towner to navigate this course and judge the distance of their shot selection. Obviously scouting ahead could be done but with a little updating that problem could be eliminated.
Lots of beer cans on the ground, some trash cans might alleviate this???
There are a few holes where a road or two comes into play. Also there are a couple of holes where a swing set might get plunked so please look before you rip.
Like others have said there is a smell that is pretty stank about hole 7 or so. I didn't notice when I played here in Nov., but when I first played here in the summer 2 years ago it was pretty ripe.
Other Thoughts: This is a pretty nice course even with some of its flaws. Yes the music can be annoying coming from the pool, but how is that the course's fault?
I feel this course has taken a few hits recently. It is a course that will challenge your decision making on some holes and offers risk reward on other holes. If the signage were to be updated I think the reviews for this course would be better. With that said its one of the better courses west of I135. I personally can overlook some of the piddly flaws because the disc golf here is pretty good. And after all isn't that what you came here for in the first place?

Singage? What signage!

1    7/25/2013   8/31/2013
Review By: ldtrainman
Pros: Looks like a pretty setting. Nice concrete T-boxes.
Cons: Signage? What signage. My wife and I were traveling across KS and wanted to play some disc golf en route. This course was reported to be the oldest course in KS in a beautiful setting. We drove into the first entrance we saw for the park but saw no signs for a disc golf course. We did see some baskets so stopped and parked. We started play at an unknown hole because there were no markings or signage on the T-box. The post rock near the T-box had nothing on it. We didn't know where the basket was so we threw in the direction the T-box pointed until we got close enough to see a basket and then walked to the basket to look for a number. This particular basket had a number. What luck. Finished the hole and had no idea where the next T-box was. There was no one else playing that we could see so we wandered around to find a basket with a number and then find a T-box with a corresponding number. We never did find a T-box with a number. We just had to find any T-box and then walk out the front until we found a basket. Hopefully it had a number corresponding the the hole we were supposed to be playing. This was a hit and miss proposition. We probably walked the equivalent of three holes to play one hole. This process continued and we got so frustrated that we left before finishing. We never did see a sign or any marking at any T-box.
Other Thoughts: I'd be embarrassed to be a local and too cheap to buy a can of spray paint and not put numbers on the T-boxes. This type of lack of signage discourages the growth of the sport. What newbee wants to spend their day solving a jigsaw puzzle. They have enough trouble figuring out how to get the disc to go where they want it to go.

My first DG experience

1    4/28/2013   5/15/2013
Review By: Mangodoc
Pros: A nice variety of open and wooded terrain.
The creek makes a good water hazard on several holes.
Course layout is easy to follow, mostly because it's so heavily travelled.
Cons: The creek is polluted and nasty.
Grass grows poorly on most of the course, typical for the climate but still a con.
Other Thoughts: As my first DG course, the one that first sparked my interest when I saw FHSU students playing while I was jogging, this course will always hold a special place for me.
The course is heavily utilized, mostly by FHSU students.

Diamond in the rough?

1    6/15/2012   6/16/2012
Review By: MightyJeff
Pros: -Proof that a course doesn't have to have massive elevation changes to be challenging. There are some great holes here, even in pancake-like Kansas
-Nice use of natural obstacles - the river, mature trees, etc.
-Set in a nice metro park. I could see myself visiting the park regularly if I lived in Hays, even if it weren't to play disc golf... except for:
Cons: -The course smells like manure. I don't know where it came from; I saw some buffalo herding near the first couple holes, but the smell was most pungent further afield.
-The signage is nonexistent. There are points in the course where a first-timer at Frontier Park would have absolutely no idea where the next tee is. In fact, there were many times I just guessed which tee was next, then found out I was completely wrong based on seeing the pair throwing a couple holes ahead of me. Each tee is marked with a stone, waist-high post, which is aesthetically pleasing in a way, but blends in way too easily with the surroundings.
-The course layout is problematic at best and dangerous at worst. There are too many holes that border the road in such a way that even a seasoned disc golfer could easily hit a passing car without meaning too. Also, there are places, although not many, where the next tee is less than five feet from the previous hole's basket, which seemingly contradicts my last grievance, but the confusion is mixed at Frontier Park.
-When I played the course there was a baseball team practicing in the stadium near holes 7-9, and they were playing top 40 EXTREMELY loud over the speakers. While this is a situational complaint, I'm sure it's not the only time it's happened. If I were a regular here it would drive me insane.
Other Thoughts: It's frustrating; this course could be fantastic if, minimally, effort would be put into adding signs to each tee indicating which hole it is and where the next tee will be. And if something could be done about that manure...

umm...

1    7/15/2010   11/24/2011
Review By: porchmike
Other Thoughts: i came here in 2010 expecting a well- maintained, historic disc golf course that must have been well loved to survive this long, but instead, it almost seemed abandoned- no signage whatsoever, not even at the beginning to indicate that this was indeed a disc golf course. some tee pads had views of multiple baskets- where to throw? if they still have pro tourneys here, do they mark the course for them? why not leave the signage up?

i was very disappointed with the course, after reading some of the reviews here and taking time out of my road trip to play here, sorry. i would say that the park has taken a serious nose-dive since the pictures on this site were taken.

good windy course

5+    7/21/2011   7/21/2011
Review By: templink
Pros: Well designed course follows Big Creek, and shoots over it several times. Incorporates left and right turns, up and over shots, tunnel shots, water shots, short and long, depending upon basket placement. Original and alternate concrete pads on 18 of the 21 tees. Basket positions are changed monthly, offering a nice change for regulars. All baskets are numbered so you know which one is which. Alternate pads change the fairway slightly on some holes, and entirely on others, making multiple rounds like playing a different course. There is a well-cleaned permanent bathroom near hole #1.
Cons: The worst part for those playing the first time would be signage and navigation. There are no signs whatsoever, except a welcome sign pointing to hole #1. I hear there used to be tee signs, but they were vandalized and not replaced. Navigating to next hole without a local guide will be tricky on some holes, and almost impossible from #6 to #7. Course is basically flat - elevation never changes more than 10 feet. Depending upon which way the wind blows, a strong "farm smell" is sometimes present. Near basket for hole #1, vehicles parked to view the bison herd can be in the way. Hole #7 has 3 tees, the original (identified by its post rock) can almost never be used as the fairway crosses a parking lot and playground. Local mentality is "finders keepers," so if you lose a disc on this course, don't expect to get it back. There are no benches or trash bins by the tee pads. Tees for holes A, B and C are dirt, and unmarked.
Other Thoughts: There is almost always a breeze (10 Mph), and often very strong winds (25+ Mph), so bring out your most stable discs. New players will probably lose discs in Big Creek, since there are lots of water shots. Big Creek freezes over in winter, making fewer lost discs.

Very surprised...

1    5/4/2011   5/9/2011
Review By: Jermy
Other Thoughts: Ok, So i've gotta break my (THE) normal way to post and list pro's and con's etc...
I was traveling through the state from CO to IN and playing some DG along the way, stopping at 4 star courses so that I know I wouldn't be dissappointed. Sadly in this case I was.

After the 6th hole, I couldn't find 7.. no signage, course maps, anything. I couldn't even find the basket or the next hole, I found 17 though! MANY of these holes need SERIOUS work! lots of signage missing at t-pads, garbage, graffiti (its whatever though).. The park looks absolutely terrible, which is a shock after seeing the other reviews for this course. Only reason I give it a two is because in order to continue playing I had to play 17 back to the start and play the front 3 again.

I guess I mostly hope that whoever maintains this course sees this as I can see how the course can be 4 stars but is in need of some serious love. And anyone else, please don't let your beloved home courses turn out like this one, take care of your toys.
As well, I know it sucks getting bad reviews on one of your favorite courses, if someone lets me know that this stuff is fixed, i'll gladly remove the review!

Over the river and through the woods

1    8/6/2010   8/6/2010
Review By: Wise Fool
Pros: -Beautiful park
-Wide variety of shots required (Good use of the trees in the park)
-Very memorable shots (especially over the river shots). I loved Hole 11 a shot over the river with some trees leaning into it and if you shoot too high into the river you go.
-Holes varied in length (there were several over 500 hundred feet from the long tees) along with a good mix of holes between 200 and 400 feet.
-The alternate tees give most of the holes a totally different look rather than just adding extra distance to the hole
-Several of the holes have benches on them to rest on
Cons: -Some of the tee pads are pretty much next to the basket before and if the park was crowded you might have to watch for incoming discs
-The signage on all but one of the holes (Hole 7 I believe still has the signage) is missing, which can make it hard at times to figure out where the pin is.
-Navigation between Hole 6 and 7 was a little difficult to figure out and there was no sign pointing the way to Hole 7 (You have to go across the bridge after Hole 6 and then cross over to the other side of the road to find tee 7)
-The course also has a fee safety issues with its design. The long tee of hole 7 plays straight through a parking lot. Several of the holes play right next swings and other playground equipment which could be a problem if children are playing on them
-When we played there was a lot of trash in the park
Other Thoughts: This course has quite a few memorable holes and is quite fun but it does have its flaws. If the signage on each hole was replaced and updated I would definitely raise my score of the course. Overall, if you are passing through Hayes I would suggest a quick stop to play this enjoyable course.