Grand Rapids, MI
Garfield Park Share
Uploaded By: FoleyT Hole #4
4 / 221ft.   4 / --   4 / --   4 / -- Par / Distance:
The 'pole' on the fourth, with the infamous 'stump'

Inner-City Disc

5+    2/12/2012   7/12/2012
Review By: jhoover
Pros: not going to loose discs, unless its into the fall season.

-generally low canopy, good for learning to controll your throws. (#1 #4 #5 #10 #14)

-Poles (sticks) are firm in the ground, no damage to course signs or poles.

-Seasonal bathrooms, and year round running water.

-Takes 45 minutes to play, is a non physical course, and can be played multiple times in one go.

-Never anyone on the course, no waiting.

-Always parking avalible

-Police patrol the area regularly.
Cons: - some people would feel the Stick targets are not true to disc golf, but in an area such as this I would have to guess the metal baskets would not last long.

-many may also be turned off by this area, which is understandable. I lived in the neighhbor hood and can vouch that there are indeed gun shots heard echoing throughout the summer, and police speeding down Burton st regularly throughout the year. Not for the faint of heart.

-There is only minimal elevation change. I think there are only 2 upshots and one shot down a hill.Everything else is flat.

-There are only 2-3 long holes for big arms.

-There are no T pads, only worn grass where many have stood before you.

-after finishing hole 13 you will naturally gravitate toward hole 16 becasue it seems like the natural course flow, but you actually have to turn around 180* and walk back to hole 14. sorta strange, but i will add a map to DGCR to clarify. everytime i have seen other people on this course they go from 13 to 16 and dont even know they skipped 14 and 15. # 14 is the best hole too!
Other Thoughts: -during fall the leaves can get a little intense at times, but the maintained crew is VERY good with cleaning the park, and have normally already started cleaning some portion of the park before it becomes an issue.

-Your best scores will be during the winter months when there are no leaves on the trees.

- Most park goers are aware that there is a disc golf coarse throughout the park, and generally stay out of the way. Only those cutting across the park on their way to the side walk get in the way, but for the most part there is little to no pedestrian traffic.

All in all this is personally my favorite course. I have played Flip, Mason County, even Dela in Cali, and I got to say I think about this course every time I disc.

I am the kind of guy to take a few BUZZZs out and spend the whole day developing my short game at Garfield Park. Every hole is deucable, and there are PLENTY of ace chances. I have aces on #2 #3 #7 #12 #14 (hardest line in the park) #17 #18x2 best score is -12 (PAR 54)

This course will teach you to keep your shots low and snap hard. I can't imagine where I would be if I hadn't had this treasure in my backyard for the past 2 years!

Also I will be taking pictures of every hole when I visit next, as my contribution to DGCR! Maybe even make an overhead map, as there is 1 confusing area that would mess you up the first time you play.

I would give this course a 5 but personal bias aside, it is a honest 3.

Overlooked Little Gem

1    9/21/2008   9/21/2008
Review By: FoleyT
Pros: For an older 'pole course' this is an amazingly interesting and challenging layout. Many mature trees and creative pin placements make for a challenging round and a good way to practice your short game. For a neighborhood park, it was amazingly uncrowded, and despite being a multi-use park, and the fact that a lot of the course winds around the outer rim of the property, I found little interference with other park activities through most of the course. Easy to navigate, and most of the tees and signs seem to be well cared for.
Cons: Dirt tees and poles. A few of the holes come uncomfortably close to either picnic areas, or sidewalks. Distances are short compared to some of the more modern courses, but are of a reasonable variety.
Other Thoughts: Avoided this one for much too long, and was pleasantly surprised at how much fun it was to play. This will definitely be a frequent stop for me in the future.