St. Simons Island, GA
Uploaded By: WAS1 Hole #3

could be a nice course

1    7/1/2014   7/6/2014
Review By: Warmoth
Pros: Beautiful living oak trees, decent challenges.
Cons: needs upkeep, some of the tee plaques were missing, people let their dogs run free, had 2 pitbulls run up on my 4yrd, they were nice but scary at the same time. Only 6 holes but its a small area its setup in.
Other Thoughts: If your in the area its worth a stop for the beautiful trees.

Pretty, but not Special

1    8/12/2013   3/3/2014
Review By: Moose33
Pros: Beautiful live oaks right off the intercostal waterway in a picturesque setting and Spanish moss draping down every branch.

It's a beautiful place and the layout isn't bad. There is very little under brush and almost no chance to loose a disc.

The trees are a special sight.
Cons: Just 6 holes, no signature holes though there is opportunity for it. Most holes are 300ft or less. The oaks are gorgeous but leave no headroom your not throwing any high bombs or Tommy's here.

No elevation at all, bad tee boxes that are just gravel in a wooden frame.

It would all be okay I'd there were signs on the course, finding the next tee is almost never easy.

Pretty buggy in the summer too, bring some bug spray.
Other Thoughts: Overall I had a good time, but as special as this place is the course just isn't.

The Live Oaks Alone

1    12/21/2013   12/23/2013
Review By: reposado
Pros: It's impossible to overstate the grandeur of the live oaks at Gascoigne Park. The course plays around and under them. The canopy of sprawling branches draped with Spanish moss is alone worth stopping at this six-hole disc golf course. The course may not be anything special but these trees are.

The course at Gascoigne Bluff is standard, beginner-level stuff. Nothing too difficult. There is a little bit of length, with hole three checking in at 38 feet to the pin. There's no brush, the fairways are pretty open and it'd be a frustration-free, first course for someone.

The best hole for for me is 4. I've seen holes the put a clump of trees and brush in front of the tee, giving players a left and right option. This one uses just one, very wide tree with thick branches jutting out to either side. (check the photo)

While there is not a ton of challenge, swooping around these massive trunks is both fun and aesthetically pleasing. The baskets are well placed, and maybe one out of six drives will want to be straight, the others will want to execute a curve. They may not be tough lines to hit for the veteran but they are fun lines, and pretty lines at that.
Cons: I think the limitations are obvious here. Challenge is very low. There are only six holes. The tees are abysmal. (Outlined in wood, but they're natural and all dug up.) Worse, it's tough to find a flat area anywhere near the tee.
Other Thoughts: These aren't canopy holes. This is a canopy course. Even if the discing isn't great, it's a cool place to just be. It's not too far off of I95 and it plays quickly. ( I got in 18 in about thirty-five minutes.)

Boring "course" and layout

1    11/30/2012   12/30/2012
Review By: lukejones
Pros: Has 6 baskets and some pretty awesome Live Oak trees.........better than nothing! Without the cool trees, I'd give the course a failing grade.
Cons: Even as a solid beginner player, I found this course quite easy and unmemorable. The sand tee boxes seemed more like tripping hazards so I teed off to the side of them.

Several random cars, trailers and junk sitting around just off the course took away from some of the view.
Other Thoughts: I highly recommend making the drive to Honey Creek if staying in the St. Simons Island area. It's a far better course and challenge.

Better than nothing

2-4    5/26/2011   5/27/2011
Review By: Jonnykatz
This review was updated on 6/18/2012
Pros: Very nice signs. The live oaks and setting make it a pretty course. A good place to try for a hole-in-one. Canopy not so low that you can't go the whole distance with a nice drive, so there is some technique practice.
Cons: Only 6 holes. Tees are sand pits so I played in front of them to avoid filling my shoes with sand.
Dog walkers. Parked cars. Low canopy.
Other Thoughts: Very short holes, but since you'll likely be the only one there (other than parked cars and people walking their dogs) you can easily recreate your own layout.

I don't recommend going out of your way to play this course, but St. Simons is its own destination so give it a try when you're on the island but don't expect much.

Decent

1    7/24/2010   7/24/2010
Review By: nickrog12
Pros: 6 holes, better than nothing on the island. played it three times to make 18. actually was enjoyable that way.
Cons: short
Other Thoughts: There are two tees and its good for begginers. Usually will have course to self. Honey Creek in Waverly, GA does have a nicer course so if your closer to that go there. Full 18.

What I expected

1    6/14/2010   6/14/2010
Review By: jpeaslee
Pros: 6 holes are better than 0 holes.
Nice scenery.
Cons: Confusing layout.
Cars in the way (although it essentially really is just a parking lot for cars and boat trailers).
Dog Turds.
Tees are very dug out. Almost sprained my ankle on one and decided just to play next to them.
Other Thoughts: Don't have high expectations and you'll be fine. Its a small 6 hole course they put in so that something is there. I wouldn't go unless you're already there.

Dad and I played the 6 and then on the way back to the cars just picked baskets and made up tees.

If you're in the area and want a decent course check out Honey Creek's course. Its only about 15 mins away... 5 mins off I-95 exit 27.

Good course if short on time

2-4    4/30/2010   4/30/2010
Review By: JT Web Studios
Pros: Good signage
Nice Scenery (large oaks,spanish moss)
Not crowded
Cons: Tee boxes could use some work. Better off using area next to tee box.
People park all over, including on the course
Can be a lot of dogs running wild
Other Thoughts: This is a good little course if you need to squeeze a few (6) holes in after work. Normally the course is not very crowded. This allows you to play quickly or try various discs on the same shot without having to worry about someone behind you. Very flat but lots of trees.

Best 6 holer to date!

1    1/14/2010   1/14/2010
Pros: 1) Very nice tee signs. They do show the location of alternate shorter tees, hole #, par, distance, and a general diagram. They look fairly new but they also look like they will holed up well.

2) Massive LIve Oaks and huge Cedar trees are draped with Spanish moss creating a feel like you are playing a round on an old plantation or better yet on mama gump's homestead you know where Jenny came and gave it up to Forest!

3) Course has a good diversity in hole distance. Distances ranged from 170 to 348 from the longs. This allows for some holes requiring an approach, and some you can gun for birdie. I really appreciate courses that do not require the same discs and same shots on every hole.

4) Course has a couple anhyzer holes and a couple hyzer shaped holes. I like that they knew how to use the property to get a nice variety of shot shaping.

5) Course is very beginner friendly. It is mostly open, fairly short, and there just isn't much trouble that can hurt you too badly. There is almost no way for one to lose a disc on this courses unless it gets stuck in one of the trees.

6) There is a bathroom area, a shelter with plenty of picnic tables, garbage cans all around the first tee area. There is plenty of parking on the north end of the park (where people park their boats and trailers) although it says no overnight parking and also a lot with parking spots by the 1st tee.

7) Garbage was available on the course on hole #1 and I think I saw one near another tee.

8) Benches were available on some of the holes also. This course likely never gets busy or slow, so it won't be an issue, but it is nice to always have a place to set your bag too even if they do not get used for sitting much.

9) This course looks like there is more potential here. There could be more holes on the other side of one of the "manmade" roads. People are parking boats and trailers towards the north end but it looks like there is room for a couple more holes over there and the other holes could be routed differently to create a decent 9 holer.

10) Discatcher baskets in great shape and hole #'s visible on the big yellow band.
Cons: 1) I have to second the dip$hits parking in the fairways. Someone had parked on the straight line fairway on hole #3 so I played the anhyzer route instead. I would have much rather thrown straight at the basket than go around the treeline.

2) It was apparent that people did not even pay any mind that there was a disc golf course there. One lady who had her dog running free even let her dog $hit and never went to pick it up, and I stared at her and I know she saw her dog do it. One guy was walking his two dogs although I have never ever ever before seen someone walk their dogs while driving around in their car. I couldn't believe this . . . he drove very slowly down the 3rd fairway when I teed off on #2, then he made a veer with his car along the 4th fairway and finally decided he needed to drive right behind the 2nd basket as I was making my approach. At that point I noticed he was talking on his cell phone the whole time. "Get out of your car and walk your darn dogs the proper way and on a leash."

3) The wood framed mulch tees leave a little to be desired. I think I would rather throw from the nice sandy soil in this park. The mulch has eroded on the long tees and is being scattered all over the tee areas. I threw from just behind the tee so I didn't have to worry about unsure footing.

4) Course is very short and doesn't present much challenge even for beginners.

5) 6 holes leaves me wanting to play more DG. I suppose it fits the market and the next closest course is about 40 miles.

6) Course is as flat as flat can be. It is southern Georgia so not much more can be expected.
Other Thoughts: I did enjoy this course despite its shortcomings. It is a cool setting for a DG course despite what the apparent local non dg'ers think of the course being there. The massive trees create a wonderful canopy that would provide shade to the course which would make this a fun cool thing to do on a hot August Georgia day. The holes are pretty well balanced and have some variety. They do not challenge as much as I would prefer but they do make you select a shot shape and execute. I wouldn't go very far out of the way to play this course but I was staying in the area on my way to Savannah so I hit it up. It is about 15 miles off the interstate so it isn't real close, but if you are a course whore like myself it was worth the trip out to St. SImons Island. The bridgeview alone was incredible and made the 15 minute drive out of the way worthwhile and scenic.

I am evaluating this course as a first time visitor. I can understand the parking issues being a problem especially in the summer but when I played, there was only one car in play and I simply decided to play around the area instead. Although these shortcomings are negative I still think this course has enough there to make it an average course. I know some people will downgrade the 6 hole course because it is only 6 holes, but I am evaluating it more on the content that is there not what isnt there.

Nice trees, too bad the dogs like them too

1    3/30/2009   3/30/2009
Review By: 33tango
Pros: Beautiful stately oaks
Course easy to navigate
Cons: Dog shit and unleashed dogs everywhere
6 holes
Remote location
Tee pads consist of timbers with mound of dirt that's been dug out, safer to just use dirt next to tee
Other Thoughts: Despite the signs reminding people of the county leash law I saw 7 unleashed dogs running all over and crapping where they pleased without anyone even thinking of curbing their dog's waste. People parked anywhere they please, frequently right in a fairway. Retirement housing area adjacent means this is where people take their dogs all the time to crap, I saw them coming and going from there to the park. You need to play with your head down to dodge the dogshit minefield. I won't be back. Playing here early in the morning is a mistake.