Columbus, OH
Brent Hambrick Memorial DGC Share
Hole #7 Blue Tee

1    7/4/2014   7/13/2014
Review By: JohtoVillage
Pros: The famous Brent Hambrick course offered some great holes and was a fun time. Here are my pros for the course:

1) Anytime you have more than 18 hole its a plus for me (unless the holes really suck). Who doesn't love more disc golf?

2) The course literally offered the most variety you could imagine. The front 9 was pretty flat and open (and a little easy) while the back nine weaved in an out of the woods with very difficult and challenging par 3's and par 4's. The front and back nine were essentially two different courses.

3) In my opinion its always good to have other "things" to do at a disc golf course (don't shoot me) to keep your wife or whomever occupied while playing. This park had some nice amenities besides the park, including Hoover Dam! This park is just not for disc golf and was really enjoyable outside of the course.

4) Navigation was very easy except for one spot after the last temporary hole. I would rate this course a solid 4/5 for navigation but I probably would recommend a sign after the last temporary hole indicating where the next hole is.

5) The course had two distinct set of tees that offered vastly different challenges. The long tees are 2500 feet longer than the short tees which is essentially 100 feet per hole. I value having a short and long tee on every hole because it lets players of different skill sets enjoy the course. In this case the long tees were very challenging while the short tees looked much easier and enjoyable.

6) The course forced you to throw so many different types of shots. There were plenty of opportunities for hyzer, anhyzer and sidearm shots. I love a course with variety on the shot selection and this course offered it.
Cons: While this was an enjoyable course I do have a few cons. This course is a GREAT course but like any course had its faults:

1) It was a great experience to play a course at Hoover Dam but I would have loved for some of the holes to get closer to the dam or even a water hazard. It tantalizes you to be so close and not get to throw a shot around the dam! The course had some good holes but utilizing a water hazard or two could have really added a few signature holes and pushed this course to a 4.0 rating or above. (See below for an opportunity to play some amazing shots around the Dam).

2) Some of the holes on the back nine became a bit repetitive. It seemed like we were throwing a lot of low-ceiling drives in a tightly wooded area to a specific landing zone (from the long tees) and then throwing another shot to the basket. I think one or two of these holes are okay but I don't think a course should have too many low-ceiling shots that are par 4's because I feel its constricting to the course. This is not a huge con but just my personal feeling about having too many low ceiling shots.

3) The course had some very dangerous shots. The drive on hole 3 comes WAY too close to the long tee on hole 4. In fact, I played with a buddy and both of our drives went right over the long tee for hole 4 and we weren't too far away from the basket. A few of the holes on the front nine were too bunched together in my opinion and this is a minor safety concern.

4) The baskets were beginning to show some significant wear. We had a few putts that slid right through the middle of the chains. It didn't take too much away from the course but it is worth mentioning.
Other Thoughts: NOTE: If you have the opportunity to play this course around the 4th of July Holiday weekend it is highly recommended. My buddy and I played this course on July 4th, 2014 and they had the temporary course setup around the dam for the Hoover-Westside Challenge the next day. Combining the Brent Hambrick course with this temporary course in and around Hoover Dam makes for some AMAZING golf. The temporary course had some of the most stunning shots you will throw in disc golf. I would actually rate the temporary course higher than the permanent case. It offered multiple shots involving water hazards and offered multiple shots up and down the dam.

Enjoyable Back Nine

1    7/27/2013   7/27/2013
Review By: philio37
Pros: Challenging Pin Locations
Beautiful Park
Well Maintained
Cons: Difficult where the next tee is located
Front 9 is very dull
Other Thoughts: Back Nine is spectacular; back in the woods, but no annoying small trees, narrow throwing lanes, or overwhelming undergrowth. It is very clear and fantastic to play

A Dam Good Time

1    4/18/2012   5/17/2012
Review By: bygwyllay
Pros: This course has everything you want: open bombs, elevated shots, great views, tight fairways through some thick pines...should satisfy you on every level. You will bust out 90% of the discs in your bag. Let's get to it:

Front 9 is WIDE open and plays south of the Hoover Dam. As such, a great bit of wind comes into play here. There are treelines to keep in mind, as well as a few mature trees as fairway obstacles. Signature shot is #2, blasting down a hill with the dam as a backdrop. Nice touch on hole #5 - the pin is raised on a pedastal with steps up the side to retreve your disc from the basket. Some undulating hills fool with your line of sight on #7, and 8 and 9 are wonderful companions in a patch of flatland at the base of the dam's runoff.

The back nine plays on the other side of the main drive up to the parking lot, and runs up the one side of the hill and down the other. (Holes 10-14 were closed as they were rejuvinating the fairway greens, but I was able to walk along the edges of these and get a good feel for them.) This side of the road is where you find out what you're made of. 10-14 are an uphill battle (literally) through slices of pine groves on the left, and a huge ravine on the right. The fairways are large enough in most cases but the terrain is threatening and distracting. The gauntlet continues once you reach the top of the hill - holes 15-17 play through the forest as you head back down and are truly the most challening holes on the original 18. A couple "choose your own adventure" fairways let you take a chance or play is safe, depending on how the rest of your round has gone. You then cross back over the main road and 18 finishes in the field next to #6 - a pleasantly simple hole to end your round.

They have recently added nine bonus holes at the top of the hill after #14, and I recommend playing them. A follows to the right of that main road, and B's pin sends you back into the thickest pine grove I've ever seen. For C, D and E, someone went through with a tree shear and literally cut a fairway through the pines. The stumps are still there so be careful where you step, but if your shot isn't spot on stumps will be the least of your worries. I somehow miraculously pared these three, but If you end up in the trunks good luck on trying to get out - they are that thick. You then cross the road and play holes F through I, which are in a wide open field similar to the front nine. You then pick up #15 and head back down the hill.
Cons: My main complaint with this gem of a course is that while the design of it makes perfect sense, it really pisses me off. It's like you are playing two completely different courses on each side of the road. To the left (1-9, F-I) you have wide open, lazy wanderings that are very fun to play and pardon my bluntness but EASY. On the right (10-18, A-E) you have the taut, difficult shots that require pinpoint accuracy and utmost concentration. All I'm asking for here is a break from the monotony. I understand that the road is there acting as a divider but maybe shoot one or two over it (it's just a park road) to add another dimension to the course. I was shocked that even the bonus holes were split up this way. If you can't change the layout of the holes themselves, maybe reorder the holes? Just a thought. This in no way affects the ambiance of the course, but the stark contrast is relevant. This course could be in 4-star territory if the layout had as much variety as the types of holes proffered.

And speaking of types of holes available, how can you have a course play right next to a dam and not have any water hazards? Like, not even one? At the base of the dam, maybe? Across the stream? SOMETHING! Oh, well.
Other Thoughts: Brent Hambrick is very well maintained, and they even have a memorial tree honoring him on hole #8. Great to see the locals rejuvinating the fairway grass on 10-14, even though it prevented me from playing them. They had caution tape up and signs everywhere explaining why. Hopefully everyone adhers to these so they can reopen this summer.

Good signage throughout, especially on the lettered holes. Please take note of pin placements, especially on the bonus holes at the top of the hill.

A professional atmosphere overall. Would definitely play again. Well done.

Nicely Challenging Course

1    6/15/2011   6/15/2011
Review By: Jaysauls
Pros: Great Tee-pads and easy to follow course. Great course to try hyzer and anhyzer shots. Pin placement is cool as well, didn't have any holes that I thought were boring.

The extra 9 holes are a nice change from the wide-open, wind swept front 9 on the original course.
Cons: The front 9 is wide open and the winds coming off the lake can make shots tricky, sending some shots flying across other fairways.

Lots of folks walking and biking on the edges of the course. It's easy for a shot to get away and take someones head off that's not paying attention.

I also wish the baskets had numbers on them. My first time down the front 9 I was a bit confused as to what basket I was throwing to with the fairways being in the middle of an open field

The new 9 holes are nice, but there's a few through the woods that are very tight, almost crazy tight.
Other Thoughts: Holes 10-14 were closed, so I really only played the front 9. Nonetheless it was great fun (which is what this sport is all about!) and the scenery is super. I stood on the dam and people watched after I played which added a nice end to the day.

Collegiate City...

1    7/29/2010   8/8/2010
Review By: EddieBTrue
Pros: Having a view of Hoover Dam (Not THE Hoover Dam from the wild west mind you!) is pretty unique. The nearby area is clean and appears 'safe' which is always nice. The woods holes (The back nine or so) are very fair; and have a nice variety of both shots and flora. Clever usage of rail ties in the front nine to either elevate a basket, or to place one over the edge of a neo-cliff just to make things interesting.
Cons: Although the railroad ties were indeed interesting, the fact of the matter is that until you get to the woodsy portion of the first 18 holes, the rest are largely 'crammed' into one long hill. As such, you need to constantly be aware of who's throwing around you when there's lots of other players tossing simultaneusly.
Other Thoughts: The day my son and I played the place was crawling with college students; so that was really heartening to see so many young folks enjoying the sport. It was also nice to see so many girls playing as the sport definitely could use more ladies tossing discs! Will definitely play this course again when in the area.

Fun but needs work

1    6/6/2010   6/6/2010
Review By: jammydee
Pros: 27 holes is great! 9 holes is never enough!
Good drop-offs on the front 9
Some wickedly wooded holes towards the end.
Short and Long teepads on most holes and multiple pin locations.
Cons: Holes 1, 2, and 5 were down for maintenance when I was there. Course was crowded and some of the teepads are located pretty close to baskets for other holes, leading to lots of cries of "FOUR!!!" After playing Gulley and Monroe down near Cincinnati, I wish there were more variety of holes. For a 27-hole course, I only feel like there were 9 or so unique holes. Many are pretty much just straight ahead or slight right or left. Not much elevation change either, just some rolling of the terrain. Could've made use of the land a lot better. No water fountains so bring some water with you! It's a long trek! This course is also badly in need of some wayfinding signage.
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed playing this course, but it just feels like it isn't up to its potential. It could be so much better if it was better taken care of. Having 3 holes unplayable right off the bat kinda started the day on the wrong foot. The teepads are pretty nice and don't get me wrong, I'd go back, but I'd rather play others first before I go back and play this one again...

hoover dam dgc

1    11/9/2009   11/9/2009
Review By: andrewkh
Pros: Good shot selections and some very unique pin placements. Nice rolling hills with shots both up and down hill. Fairly well maintained with plenty of trash cans around course so i only saw a few pieces of trash around the course.

Cons: Somewhat difficult to navigate your first time threw. When i threw this course, holes 1 & 2 were closed when i was there. Several holes seemed to be wet even though it hadn't rained in the area for several days which suggests there could be some drainage issues. Very busy even during hours most courses would dead
Other Thoughts: Would like to throw this course again, possibly next time with some locals that throw this course well. maybe i'll chack out sunday league here sometime

Hoover

5+    11/5/2008   12/3/2008
Review By: roadtripstuff
This review was updated on 5/20/2011
Pros:
Requires all Shot Types
Both Open and Wooded Holes
Beautiful Views of the Dam
Well-Maintained
27 Holes
Basket are in Decent Shape
Big Tee Pads (A Couple Tees Excluded)
A Variety of Distances
Cons:
Can Get Crowded
Baskets Are Rarely in Posted Position
Some of the New Nine (A-I) Have Very Short Tees
Holes A-I Can Get Very Swampy
Pin Positions Aren't Changed Very Often
Brent Hambrick Memorial (locals refer to this course as Hoover) is the premier course in the Columbus, OH area. The course is very well maintained, with trash cans, and benches throughout the course. Being one of the better courses in the area, if not the best, this course can get really crowded at times. There is parking available near the first tee, but it can fill up on busy days. There is additonal parking located near the basket for #9 and near the back of the park by the new nine.

The front nine are mostly open holes, trees can come into play on a couple shots. Wind can also be a huge factor on the front nine of this course. Wind can come off the parking lot and over this hills and create a lot of trouble if you aren't careful.

Overall the course is fairly easy to navigate. The only exceptions to this that I can think of is heading to Hole 10 from 9. Once you finish up 9 look across the road at the woods. You should see a small trail leading into the woods, this is the path to Hole 10. Once in the woods the holes are once again easy to navigate. Another issue some people can have is with the new nine, A-I. When we play we add them into the middle of our round. After hole 14 when you come back out of the woods, hole 15 is to your left through the pine forest. We cut out to the right and play A. After we play the new nine, A-I, we head back to 15 and finish out the original 18.

This course can be very challenging for any skill level. The short tees provide good distance and challenge for the recreational to imtermediate players, while the long tees are for the more advanced and pro players. I would recommend that anyone who is in the are check out this course. If possible, I would visit early morning or during the week to avoid the large crowds. As usual please use the trash cans and keep this place nice and clean and enjoy your round.

Good all-around course

1    10/5/2008   10/5/2008
Review By: gcoghill
Pros: Well-maintained course, fairly easy to navigate, great scenery and the back nine has some great holes in the woods.

Excellent concrete tee pads, and clean, easy to read tee signs with maps.
Cons: Sometimes navigating was difficult -- I never found hole 18. Front nine a bit of back-and-forth. Course was a bit busy, but a wide range of ages & types -- good for the sport.
Other Thoughts: Overall a solid course. The front nine was a bit lackluster, but once you got into the back nine things started to improve dramatically for the course.

Back nine has a good mix of skill requirements. The new nine holes (A to I) had some great wooded technical shots.

Some nice wooded technical shots; nothing too challenging, just the right amount to require a bit of finesse. A few potential Ace holes on the back nine.

The additional nine (hole A to I, or 19-27) didn't feel tacked on, and there were some great wooded technical shots that I really enjoyed throwing. The last few were open shots, no monster bombs but a chance to get some distance in.

Park had a decent amount of parking, and the parking lot was right by hole 1. Hole 18 for the most part looped back to the lot (at least according to the map -- I couldn't find the actual tee or basket), as did the additional back nine.

Park is east to access, course is easy to find once you are in the park.

No concession stand or water fountain that I could see. Porta-Potty in the parking lot.

Locals were friendly. Course was quite busy, with a good mix of player types. I think the park was multi-use, but everybody there seemed to be playing dic golf!

The additional nine is a short walk past the main parking lot. I almost missed it, thinking the course was 27 holes but it's more of an 18-hole original course with an additional back nine. I really liked the wooded technical holes on the added back nine. Short, but tricky. Almost got my first Ace on one of them!

If you are in the area, definitely worth checking out. Some holes might be a bit tough for novices, but nothing outrageous. If I lived in the area, it would definitely be on my main course list.

6/15/2008   6/15/2008
Review By: Innovadude
Pros: Great design, a featured a-tier tournament is held there, long with a mix of open and woods, great signs and tees, great views.
Cons: Poison ivy is thick and on most holes, can be overgrown, easy to lose a disc.