Columbus, OH

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5
classic fun

2-4    7/16/2014   8/26/2014
Review By: W7amf
Pros: good combo of long and short holes, great scenery, good people, lots of fun
Cons: can be crowded sometimes, ticks in the woods!
Other Thoughts: I enjoy playing this course on week days. It rained on us one time when we were in the woods section of the course and the pine trees kept us almost totally dry while the rain passed over. quality course!

1    7/4/2014   7/13/2014
Review By: JohtoVillage
Pros: The famous Brent Hambrick course offered some great holes and was a fun time. Here are my pros for the course:

1) Anytime you have more than 18 hole its a plus for me (unless the holes really suck). Who doesn't love more disc golf?

2) The course literally offered the most variety you could imagine. The front 9 was pretty flat and open (and a little easy) while the back nine weaved in an out of the woods with very difficult and challenging par 3's and par 4's. The front and back nine were essentially two different courses.

3) In my opinion its always good to have other "things" to do at a disc golf course (don't shoot me) to keep your wife or whomever occupied while playing. This park had some nice amenities besides the park, including Hoover Dam! This park is just not for disc golf and was really enjoyable outside of the course.

4) Navigation was very easy except for one spot after the last temporary hole. I would rate this course a solid 4/5 for navigation but I probably would recommend a sign after the last temporary hole indicating where the next hole is.

5) The course had two distinct set of tees that offered vastly different challenges. The long tees are 2500 feet longer than the short tees which is essentially 100 feet per hole. I value having a short and long tee on every hole because it lets players of different skill sets enjoy the course. In this case the long tees were very challenging while the short tees looked much easier and enjoyable.

6) The course forced you to throw so many different types of shots. There were plenty of opportunities for hyzer, anhyzer and sidearm shots. I love a course with variety on the shot selection and this course offered it.
Cons: While this was an enjoyable course I do have a few cons. This course is a GREAT course but like any course had its faults:

1) It was a great experience to play a course at Hoover Dam but I would have loved for some of the holes to get closer to the dam or even a water hazard. It tantalizes you to be so close and not get to throw a shot around the dam! The course had some good holes but utilizing a water hazard or two could have really added a few signature holes and pushed this course to a 4.0 rating or above. (See below for an opportunity to play some amazing shots around the Dam).

2) Some of the holes on the back nine became a bit repetitive. It seemed like we were throwing a lot of low-ceiling drives in a tightly wooded area to a specific landing zone (from the long tees) and then throwing another shot to the basket. I think one or two of these holes are okay but I don't think a course should have too many low-ceiling shots that are par 4's because I feel its constricting to the course. This is not a huge con but just my personal feeling about having too many low ceiling shots.

3) The course had some very dangerous shots. The drive on hole 3 comes WAY too close to the long tee on hole 4. In fact, I played with a buddy and both of our drives went right over the long tee for hole 4 and we weren't too far away from the basket. A few of the holes on the front nine were too bunched together in my opinion and this is a minor safety concern.

4) The baskets were beginning to show some significant wear. We had a few putts that slid right through the middle of the chains. It didn't take too much away from the course but it is worth mentioning.
Other Thoughts: NOTE: If you have the opportunity to play this course around the 4th of July Holiday weekend it is highly recommended. My buddy and I played this course on July 4th, 2014 and they had the temporary course setup around the dam for the Hoover-Westside Challenge the next day. Combining the Brent Hambrick course with this temporary course in and around Hoover Dam makes for some AMAZING golf. The temporary course had some of the most stunning shots you will throw in disc golf. I would actually rate the temporary course higher than the permanent case. It offered multiple shots involving water hazards and offered multiple shots up and down the dam.

Old Faithful

5+    10/29/2013   10/30/2013
Review By: sion
Pros: I like this course, always have. I liked it back in the day (90-91) and like it even more now. I think the best thing about it is that it is always challenging, requiring every shot in your bag to score well. The addition of the A-I 3rd nine added another level of variety to what was already a strong course. This course proves that you don't NEED 700+ foot holes to challenge the players.
Cons: Signage isn't the best, but once you've looped it once or twice you don't need the signs. There are a couple of confusing spots for newcomers...just today I watched a couple in front of me go from 14 to A due to a lack of signage. Of course, you can then loop through the letters and come back to play 15-18 without any backtracking...so maybe that's a plus?
Other Thoughts: This is the course I cut my teeth on...I was first exposed to the game on the Blendon Woods course not far from Hoover Dam, but this is where I learned how hard, challenging, and wonderfully awesome the game of disc golf truly could be. The BHM isn't perfect, but its a top 10% course that requires every shot in your bag.

Voyage of the ‘Dammed’

2-4    10/27/2013   10/27/2013
Review By: sisyphus
This review was updated on 7/14/2014
Pros: The 'Hoover' course (I'll always call it The Brent Hambrick Memorial) is situated on a beautiful reservoir and plays in a woodland park that's obviously a jewel in this community. The scenery in the area is spectacular and unexpected when you consider Columbus is mostly in a flatlands area of the Midwest. The disc golf course has multiple tees & pin positions, and plays up to a championship caliber level, yet has a design that accommodates the Recreational player as well (…if you want the greatest challenge, play all 27, long, and use tourney OB rules!)

There is a great deal of variety out here, from playing 18 short tees (4700 feet) out to 27 longs (9300 plus), and having open (often windy) shots near the dam all the way through precision shorter holes in the pine and deciduous woods. The design makes good use of the elevations available to create risk/reward greens (like on 3, with its wooded drop-off long, or the terraces on 4 and 8). There are a number of 'loop' opportunities if you have to shorten your round (see map for examples like playing just the letter holes, or adding 6 woods holes, like 15-17, then 12-14, etc.). BHM has holes ranging from 160 to 542 feet in length, and there is a mixture of left to right, right to left, straight, and even S-shaped lines.

Generous, grippy concrete tees are often boxed and mulched where needed, and the landscaping effort for the boxed greens mentioned above is impressive. Baskets are consistent and catch well (and are sometimes creatively set up, like the raised basket on hole 5). There are four parking areas along the length of the course (good for tournament play), plus shelters, bathrooms, trash cans, benches, etc. There is a practice basket just off the 'central' lot. Signage is adequate (could be a little more consistent: I know the Columbus Flyers do an excellent set of signs for the Westside temp course, so I know this is an area BHM can be improved).
Cons: The first thing that comes to mind for me is that there is a safety risk on hole 6 coming back at the 5th tee pad. In fact, you walk pretty much back up fairways after 1, 2, 4, 8, & F. The next is that you'll often need a spotter going ahead if you're playing the long tees in the woods, because you usually can only see the tee in front of you, and not much past the bends. The deep ravine starting to the right of hole 10 is also not immediately obvious. Finally, Some of the distances really don't seem right (is long F really only 375'?, or I - the last letter hole - only 250'?!)
Other Thoughts: The first time I played here was the 2013 King of the Courses challenge, playing all 27 short tees as the third course of a brutal Saturday. By the tenth hour of tournament disc golf, even the younger guys on my card were fatigued, and I was wiped out, so I'm glad I came back with our fall traveling league to give this a better look from the long tees before writing a review. It's a legendary course that hosts a terrific Open every year to challenge the best players out there.

Oh, and if you live anywhere nearby, also keep an eye out for events on the 'Westside' of Hoover Dam!

Premiere Columbus Course

5+    9/2/2013   9/2/2013
Review By: ChuckinDeucesACE
Pros: Nice tee pads. Good signage for each hole except for a few that appear to have been stolen. The front-9's open landscape with with some tall grass that has been shaped into fairways is a nice touch. The back-9 takes place along a ridge and weaves through the woods. The added 9-"letter holes" are a mixture of both open and woods. The woods here are light on the underbrush and not over run with poison ivy, oak, or sumac.
Cons: WARNING!!! Random non-disc golf people walking through the course. They are every where. Also, this is a high traffic course. Tee-off early if you want a nice peaceful round.
Other Thoughts: Next tee signs would be helpful, especially on the back-9.

Enjoyable Back Nine

1    7/27/2013   7/27/2013
Review By: philio37
Pros: Challenging Pin Locations
Beautiful Park
Well Maintained
Cons: Difficult where the next tee is located
Front 9 is very dull
Other Thoughts: Back Nine is spectacular; back in the woods, but no annoying small trees, narrow throwing lanes, or overwhelming undergrowth. It is very clear and fantastic to play

The best course in Columbus

5+    6/21/2013   7/5/2013
Review By: smokey_debear
Pros: 27 holes give you plenty of variety. First half of the course is in the open with some holes close to/in the tree line to add a little challenge. Second half of the course is in a wooded area with some very cool holes. Pro and am tees, nice sized concrete pads for tees. Good mix of long/short, wooded/open, turn right/left. Very well kept/maintained course.
Cons: Grass sometimes gets too tall between mowings. Can be a bit muddy in places back in the trees, but that is standard for most courses in the area. Would be great to have signs at every hole and tee for hole descriptions and directions to the next hole.
Other Thoughts: Still consider myself a beginner. This course seems to have a little bit for every skill level. I would recommend this course to everyone from beginners to pros. I consider this my "home course," and come here often because it is one of the best in the area.

Very nice course with a split personality.

5+    6/14/2013   6/16/2013
Review By: RollingStone
Pros: All basic amenities are present (Multiple concrete tees, multiple pin positions, adequate parking near the first hole, bathroom facilities, benches, trash cans, etc.)

Nice layout that lets you warm up with 9 mostly open holes before you have to start hitting tight lines on the back.

Fun from the short tees and very challenging from the longs, especially on the wooded holes.

Many shorter tees require different shots than the longs, as opposed to just being moved forward a few feet, so you can work on different types of shots.

A fair number of unique holes and more elevation changes that you'd expect in central Ohio.

Both wooded and open holes.
Cons: Other reviewers have mentioned that holes 10-14 are often closed. I'm glad I'm not local, and won't have to play the course without those holes as 10 and 14 are two of my favorites on this hole.

Multi-use park, so watch out for cars, joggers, dog walkers and bikers on some holes.

Certain holes really need some trees planted to make them more interesting in the future (G and H specifically are BORING holes)
Other Thoughts: This is the course I've played most often in my couple weeks in central Ohio as it and Blendon are the closest courses to the hotel I'm staying at. Overall it's a very nice facility, and shows great upkeep by the Columbus Flyers club. The locals are friendly and willing to let an older guy like me play with them for a few holes. While this is a very nice course, it's still the second best in the area (behind Simsbury Park) and despite it's history just doesn't have the wow factor of other courses I've played around the country. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's a solid local course, but not a destination course.

Edit: the split personality I mentioned in my review refers to the fact that on the west side of the park road every hole is in the open, and on the east side they're tighter, more wooded holes. Not a bad thing, just strange it worked out that way, and worth a mention.

The best around!

5+    6/2/2013   6/12/2013
Review By: Nasty Nate
This review was updated on 8/23/2013
Pros: - 27 holes, most of which have both Pro and Am tees
- A wide variety of long and short holes which allows for many varied shots and challenges
- Has many trash cans and benches for your convenience
- A nice practice pin area complete with picnic tables
- Has a porta potty on site
- Is in a beautiful park that is well maintained
- Hosts a number of Pro and Am events
- Doesn't feel too large even though it has 27 holes
- Nice flow to the course
- Convenience store down the street sells discs and has a decent selection
- You'll want to play this course again and again!
Cons: - Some of the OB wooded areas are on rather steep inclines, which can be a problem
- Can be a far drive for people who don't live in the area
- No water fountains! There is only a standpipe that looks like it hasn't functioned in ages.
Other Thoughts: This has long been our favorite course around. It gives you the chance to use all of your discs and there are plenty of holes where you can let 'er rip! The woods are not thick like other area parks, so you can actually get through and find your disc if you shank it. This course is very nice and well maintained so you can always count on a nice day when you play. The people here are always friendly and you can bring your dog as well. With 27 holes you can bet that you'll be challenged and kept occupied time after time. Get out there and throw some discs!
Edit: I decided to give this 4.5 instead of 5 because there are no water fountains at this park. That is the only thing I feel is really holding it back from being perfect.

Best in Ohio

5+    6/7/2013   6/11/2013
Review By: ForehandAnhyzer
This review was updated on 6/26/2013
Pros: Best course in Central Ohio hands down and perhaps in all of Ohio (as one of the pros told me this past weekend at the BHMO). 27 holes that keep you coming back for more. Beautiful course that is manicured and the lovely pine trees keep everything in check and groovy. Hoover Dam is not a bad looker, either! Lots of fun throws on this course. Holes to air it out on and tricky tree navigational holes as well. Some short, some long. And the pro tees are legit.
Cons: As some have noted, there are about half of the holes in the open and half are wooded, leaning more towards the open (some complain this is boring, but whatever, this is Columbus, Ohio! Not the Sierra Nevada). On holes 15-18, it can be easy to lose discs if you don't spot. Throughout the course, there are sloping ravines OB that you don't really want to get caught in.
In these summer months, it is becoming more and more crowded which leads to more and more... well, I shouldn't have to tell you.
One of the only and biggest negatives is that there is no water available. No fountain or vending or anything. So BYOW. For bathrooms, there is a porto potty at the parking lot which I can tell you I have never used. I may be bitter towards some experiences I have had, but a complaint I have might be the riffraff rednecks that occasionally frequent the park and leave their crappy lifestyle trailing behind them. This includes picking up after them in the parking lot / waiting area / putting area and not looking at them or their offspring crossways. It just gets old dealing with noisy, obnoxious people who pollute everywhere they go.
Other Thoughts: Hoover is my home base. Anyone who discs in Columbus knows that it is the best. I am biased towards it, but with good reason. It is a wonderful course and has all kinds of good fun in store. You cannot go wrong playing Hoover Dam. I'm not gonna rate it a 5 because I know we are not in Northern California or somewhere incredible. But I'll give it a 4.5 (high, I know, but I'm trying to show my love) because it is absolutely the best around and I love it.

Edit: I noticed a lot of people say that holes 10-14 are often closed. Well, I have been playing Hoover for years and years and have never seen those holes closed. It must just be a winter thing because they are never closed whenever I go there. This year, however, I shall find out because I am supremely addicted and am up for discing in any weather.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5