Columbus, OH
Brent Hambrick Memorial DGC Share

Awesome Park

1    11/17/2011   11/18/2011
Review By: insaneforchains
Pros: Very beautiful course. A good mix of open and wooded fairways. It was pretty cold unfortunately but it is November. There was plenty of trash cans throughout the course as such it was very clean. Great views of the Hoover Dam!
Cons: There were no facilities that I saw. I know for men it is not really a big issue but ladies need a restroom. It was pretty muddy throughout the course as a result of the recent rain.
Other Thoughts: I will definitely be playing this course the next time that I am in Columbus :)

Glad to be in Ohio

1    7/7/2011   7/8/2011
Review By: kev32650
Pros: -good mix of holes righty lefty straight and short and long
-short and long tees on almost every hole
-27 holes (always a plus)
-great tee signs and tee pads
-some of the best greens I've played
-challenges you with lots of shots
Cons: -a few holes especially F, G, H a little boring, just open and a bit of a let down after playing a great course. Think next time I'll start on A.
-no drinking fountains or facilities just a port a john, makes it harder to bring the family to
-holes 10-14 are out of commission. (not necessarily a con cuz they need to keep it looking nice) just a con cuz I wanted to play the whole thing!
-a few long walks between holes, but they made the most of what they had to work with. Mostly F,G,H where I felt that way. (definitely my least favorite part of the course)
Other Thoughts: I have been wanting to play this course for a long time and now that I'm in Ohio full time I'm sure I'll be playing it a lot. Think I'm going back Sunday for doubles. Definitely want to play it again.

I've definitely played better courses, but this one has a lot to offer. I like courses with replay factor and short and long tees and good variety like this course make you want to play it again and again and again.

The greens were awesome on 4, 7, 8 maybe some others that I'm forgetting. Thought I had parked 8 but ended up with a 35 foot straight up hill putt from inside a bush. Then was putting almost straight down to save the 3. Things like that make a relatively open part of the course way more interesting.

Definitely excited to play 10-14 next spring and get the full experience of the course.

17 was my favorite hole so far. Took a 5 on it. I love those long throws through woods. Very good challenge to go back and get a 3 on it.

Also excited to get back and play the longs. I'm sure I will be out there a lot.

Nicely Challenging Course

1    6/15/2011   6/15/2011
Review By: Jaysauls
Pros: Great Tee-pads and easy to follow course. Great course to try hyzer and anhyzer shots. Pin placement is cool as well, didn't have any holes that I thought were boring.

The extra 9 holes are a nice change from the wide-open, wind swept front 9 on the original course.
Cons: The front 9 is wide open and the winds coming off the lake can make shots tricky, sending some shots flying across other fairways.

Lots of folks walking and biking on the edges of the course. It's easy for a shot to get away and take someones head off that's not paying attention.

I also wish the baskets had numbers on them. My first time down the front 9 I was a bit confused as to what basket I was throwing to with the fairways being in the middle of an open field

The new 9 holes are nice, but there's a few through the woods that are very tight, almost crazy tight.
Other Thoughts: Holes 10-14 were closed, so I really only played the front 9. Nonetheless it was great fun (which is what this sport is all about!) and the scenery is super. I stood on the dam and people watched after I played which added a nice end to the day.

2-4    9/9/2010   9/9/2010
Review By: Ripper
Pros: -This course has a great mix of elevated holes, step down holes, woods, etc.
-Coupled with the West Course this is an awesome venue
-Cool scenery and background
Cons: -Older baskets
-Erosion on allot of the wooded holes
-Allot of just thrown together holes, and a pitch and putt kind course in some aspects.
Other Thoughts: Played this course at the West Side Challenge and really thought that there really was nothing to write home about. Then a few months later I played the Brent Hambrick Memorial. This tournament was the whole reason why really got into disc golf and when I heard about a tournament for Disc Golf that helped raise money for the Leukemia Society I really started to prep for it. Granted I had only been playing for two months and a National Tour Event really shouldn't be your first tourney but I have no regrets. I'll review the Temp Course next but the BHMO East portion of the course is a really fun and well laid out course. Love the History of this course also and at the Hambrick got a run down of everything and it made it even better. The course during the west side challenge was pretty dilapidated, lots of erosion and the grass really didn't look prepped or manicured. That time I probably would have given the course a 3.5 or 3 but the during Tourney play this course is in one word Awesome! Really loved the holes that went down 3 steps. Thought that was an intriguing and somewhat signature portion of the course. The wooded holes were a blast from the longs but forgettable from the shorts, and loved the great mix over the 27 holes. Tourney play truly brought this course alive because thinking after leaving the wooded holes it would get easier as the next few holes were pretty much wide open, but the TD's really made a great risk, reward setup by roping various points of the holes as OB. This course definatly has it's pluses especially when it's prepped for a tourney. The course is spread out and with 27 holes and there is something for everyone as it is split between the first 9 being a Intermediate type of layout, that then goes to a pro level wooded type of layout, and then finally the latter holes are more of a Pitch and Putt beginner layout. The course is a blast and a must play in Columbus if your going through. Highly suggest registering for a tournament with the West Side Temp course installed as they really do work well together and make a huge Disc Golf Venue!

Collegiate City...

1    7/29/2010   8/8/2010
Review By: EddieBTrue
Pros: Having a view of Hoover Dam (Not THE Hoover Dam from the wild west mind you!) is pretty unique. The nearby area is clean and appears 'safe' which is always nice. The woods holes (The back nine or so) are very fair; and have a nice variety of both shots and flora. Clever usage of rail ties in the front nine to either elevate a basket, or to place one over the edge of a neo-cliff just to make things interesting.
Cons: Although the railroad ties were indeed interesting, the fact of the matter is that until you get to the woodsy portion of the first 18 holes, the rest are largely 'crammed' into one long hill. As such, you need to constantly be aware of who's throwing around you when there's lots of other players tossing simultaneusly.
Other Thoughts: The day my son and I played the place was crawling with college students; so that was really heartening to see so many young folks enjoying the sport. It was also nice to see so many girls playing as the sport definitely could use more ladies tossing discs! Will definitely play this course again when in the area.

5+    7/31/2010   8/1/2010
Review By: OhioDiscer
Pros: Well kept 18 hole course. With and extra 9 hole course added after Brett Hambricks death. Good use of pro and short tees. Holes 1and2 are next to the dam pouring water nice view. Some good use of out in the open and nature holes. The back 9 is marked with letters instead of numbers to make course one of a kind.
Cons: This course only needs to do a little branch trimming in the back nine.
Other Thoughts: Go play it or if you have played this course keep playing it.

Sick course

5+    6/24/2010   6/27/2010
Review By: SuperG7
This review was updated on 6/30/2010
Pros: -Pro tees and short tees
-LONG bombers from pro like hole 2, 7, 17,18
-Clean cut grass
-Not bad woods to finds discs
-Secluded woods for some holes
-27 holes
-Park rangers are baller as shit and do not care about much extra activities while discin. (Park ranger gave friend his disc he forgot on one of the holes).
-live across the street from the dam
Cons: -Hole 1 and 2 have had no pin for 2 years except they put them back in on 5/26/10
Other Thoughts: Course is in the open for the first 9 holes, the back 9 is mostly all in the woods and the A,B,C holes are a nice mix of wood shots and open shots.

Sick course i play it almost everyday when possible never get tired of the course.

Fun but needs work

1    6/6/2010   6/6/2010
Review By: jammydee
Pros: 27 holes is great! 9 holes is never enough!
Good drop-offs on the front 9
Some wickedly wooded holes towards the end.
Short and Long teepads on most holes and multiple pin locations.
Cons: Holes 1, 2, and 5 were down for maintenance when I was there. Course was crowded and some of the teepads are located pretty close to baskets for other holes, leading to lots of cries of "FOUR!!!" After playing Gulley and Monroe down near Cincinnati, I wish there were more variety of holes. For a 27-hole course, I only feel like there were 9 or so unique holes. Many are pretty much just straight ahead or slight right or left. Not much elevation change either, just some rolling of the terrain. Could've made use of the land a lot better. No water fountains so bring some water with you! It's a long trek! This course is also badly in need of some wayfinding signage.
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed playing this course, but it just feels like it isn't up to its potential. It could be so much better if it was better taken care of. Having 3 holes unplayable right off the bat kinda started the day on the wrong foot. The teepads are pretty nice and don't get me wrong, I'd go back, but I'd rather play others first before I go back and play this one again...

3 the Hard (fun) Way

1    4/3/2010   4/5/2010
Review By: BrotherDave
Pros: 27 holes in a beautiful park. Great variety with an open front 9, a wooded middle 9, and a back 9 that would make a great 9 holer in itself in that it has very finesse oriented, short, wooded holes and some open holes to flex the guns. Two pin placements as well as a short and long tee for most holes. Nice cement tees and signs on every hole, benches, adequate use of elevation and "proper" wooded holes (none of that tractor-cleared path through the woods type of crap). Beautiful reservoir and dam next to course. Good hole variety and length as well, you don't feel like lugging 12+ discs at this course is overkill compared to many others. The front 9 has some nice drop-offs near the basket. Trash cans and a portajohn.
Cons: There is a little confusion on where to go after hole 5, a next tee sign would be great. I would have liked to seen better use of the park's elevation and water, especially the water. I'm not saying have a hole that tees off from the top of the dam (although that would be awesomesauce) but some holes ending near the river/reservoir's edge seem doable. That's it though, great course.
Other Thoughts: Really fun, the 27 holes are a breeze to play through and the extra 9 is nice because they're neat holes and they dump you close to the parking lot for nice flow. As an NC disc golfer, this was what I was expecting in an Ohio course with the nice rolling fields and verdant woods. Definitely a repeat play as it feels like three 9-holes combined into one, a venerable smorgasbord of disc golf pleasure.

Worth the road trip

5+    3/31/2010   4/3/2010
Review By: thebuckeyeguy
This review was updated on 7/24/2012
Pros: This is quite simply an above average course. You have everything from open shots to wooded shots, long bombs to short placements, elevation changes (though not too drastic), a bonus 9 holes that wrap around (A-I, starts after hole 14), 3 parking lots, good signs and great tees, plenty of OB challenges...all of the "essentials" that we look for in a good course.
Cons: I wish there were a way for water to come into play. The only problem is that there are no little lagoons or outlets to throw over; all options are really unfeasible. I would like to see 9 more holes put in the woods, either in the ravine along side 10-14 or in the woods beyond G, H, and I. Only restroom is a port-a-john and there aren't water fountains; plan accordingly. Also, the big bummer, due to erosion issues it seems that some holes are often closed. I can't remember the last time that I played this course in its entirety (outside of a tournament).
Other Thoughts: I might have given a higher score if it weren't for Hoover being my home course; unfortunately, playing it often makes me take it for granted. But if you're looking for a disc golf road trip, the Columbus area offers Hoover here, Gordon Holton (technical), and Lobdell (long and strong) as diverse, challenging, and memorable courses that'll make your trip. And we have plenty of warm-up courses, too (Blendon or Griggs), as well as new courses slated for 2010.