Columbus, OH
Brent Hambrick Memorial DGC Share
Uploaded By: A.Mutt Hole #A (Taken 4/2009)
Hole A Short Tee

The best around!

5+    6/2/2013   6/12/2013
Review By: Nasty Nate
This review was updated on 8/23/2013
Pros: - 27 holes, most of which have both Pro and Am tees
- A wide variety of long and short holes which allows for many varied shots and challenges
- Has many trash cans and benches for your convenience
- A nice practice pin area complete with picnic tables
- Has a porta potty on site
- Is in a beautiful park that is well maintained
- Hosts a number of Pro and Am events
- Doesn't feel too large even though it has 27 holes
- Nice flow to the course
- Convenience store down the street sells discs and has a decent selection
- You'll want to play this course again and again!
Cons: - Some of the OB wooded areas are on rather steep inclines, which can be a problem
- Can be a far drive for people who don't live in the area
- No water fountains! There is only a standpipe that looks like it hasn't functioned in ages.
Other Thoughts: This has long been our favorite course around. It gives you the chance to use all of your discs and there are plenty of holes where you can let 'er rip! The woods are not thick like other area parks, so you can actually get through and find your disc if you shank it. This course is very nice and well maintained so you can always count on a nice day when you play. The people here are always friendly and you can bring your dog as well. With 27 holes you can bet that you'll be challenged and kept occupied time after time. Get out there and throw some discs!
Edit: I decided to give this 4.5 instead of 5 because there are no water fountains at this park. That is the only thing I feel is really holding it back from being perfect.

Best in Ohio

5+    6/7/2013   6/11/2013
Review By: ForehandAnhyzer
This review was updated on 6/26/2013
Pros: Best course in Central Ohio hands down and perhaps in all of Ohio (as one of the pros told me this past weekend at the BHMO). 27 holes that keep you coming back for more. Beautiful course that is manicured and the lovely pine trees keep everything in check and groovy. Hoover Dam is not a bad looker, either! Lots of fun throws on this course. Holes to air it out on and tricky tree navigational holes as well. Some short, some long. And the pro tees are legit.
Cons: As some have noted, there are about half of the holes in the open and half are wooded, leaning more towards the open (some complain this is boring, but whatever, this is Columbus, Ohio! Not the Sierra Nevada). On holes 15-18, it can be easy to lose discs if you don't spot. Throughout the course, there are sloping ravines OB that you don't really want to get caught in.
In these summer months, it is becoming more and more crowded which leads to more and more... well, I shouldn't have to tell you.
One of the only and biggest negatives is that there is no water available. No fountain or vending or anything. So BYOW. For bathrooms, there is a porto potty at the parking lot which I can tell you I have never used. I may be bitter towards some experiences I have had, but a complaint I have might be the riffraff rednecks that occasionally frequent the park and leave their crappy lifestyle trailing behind them. This includes picking up after them in the parking lot / waiting area / putting area and not looking at them or their offspring crossways. It just gets old dealing with noisy, obnoxious people who pollute everywhere they go.
Other Thoughts: Hoover is my home base. Anyone who discs in Columbus knows that it is the best. I am biased towards it, but with good reason. It is a wonderful course and has all kinds of good fun in store. You cannot go wrong playing Hoover Dam. I'm not gonna rate it a 5 because I know we are not in Northern California or somewhere incredible. But I'll give it a 4.5 (high, I know, but I'm trying to show my love) because it is absolutely the best around and I love it.

Edit: I noticed a lot of people say that holes 10-14 are often closed. Well, I have been playing Hoover for years and years and have never seen those holes closed. It must just be a winter thing because they are never closed whenever I go there. This year, however, I shall find out because I am supremely addicted and am up for discing in any weather.

Some many options!

1    4/28/2013   5/4/2013
Review By: drblam
Pros: So many places to park, that you can start playing anywhere instead of waiting to tee off on 1. Great mix of open and wooded tees. Easily the best course in columbus!
Cons: Can be crowded, and holes 10 through 14 or 18 are often closed.

Very good course.

5+    9/24/2012   9/30/2012
Review By: Puckstopper
This review was updated on 1/14/2015
Pros: Good variety and several unique holes such as 4 and 8 where the basket is usually set on a hillside below the grade of the hole, and hole 5 with the basket on a pyramid made of railroad ties.

27 hole layout lends itself to an interesting number of ways to play the course.

Multiple and/or pin positions at most holes ensure you won't get bored.

Active local club (Columbus Flyers) who change the pin positions around frequently to help with the point above.

High quality long concrete tees are nicely seasoned and in great shape

Beautifully maintained, and an all around nice walk.

Cons: Often crowded, both with discers and non-discers alike.

Next tee signs are needed, or maps should be provided. There are four points that seem to trip up first time players (transitions from 4-5, 7-8, 9-10 and 14-15). After 4 you turn around, cross the fairway you just played and find the 5th tee. After 7 you go down the hill the 4th basket is on to get to 8. After 9 you cross the road to find hole 10 in the woods. After 14 you go right to play the letters, or take a long walk to the left to play 15.

Occasional rude groups who spend forever looking for discs and don't want to let faster players through.

Occasional idiot walkers, joggers, and people cutting through the course going from one part of the park to another are supremely annoying. If you're going to walk through a disc golf course, don't give people a dirty look if discs land near you.

Closing holes 10-14 every winter destroys the flow of the course. Hopefully the rumors are true, and this practice is a thing of the past...
Other Thoughts: I'm trying out a new rating system based on how far I'd be willing to drive to play a course. I probably wouldn't travel much more than an hour to play BHM, especially if I was only coming for a single round. It is a course I appreciate having within a 15 minute drive, and has become my Columbus mainstay.

This is a better course than Blendon, but can be frustrating when it's overrun with non-discers. Holes 2-9 and 18 are all fairly open and subject to at least some of the cons I mentioned above. Holes 1, 10-17 and about half the "new" nine are tighter holes that require some skill.

If the pins do get pulled from 10-14 again I've found a good alternate workaround is to park further back, play holes A-I, then hole 15, 1-7, and finish up with 18. You still miss out on the best holes of the course, but you do get in your 18, have a good mix of open and tight holes and still have some flow to your round.

I gave the course a 1 point bump now that all holes are open (yes, losing them was THAT important to me!).

Update 5/5/14, All holes are now open, and word on the street is that there are no plans to "rest" those holes in the winter anymore.

Update 1/14/2015: Several new pin positions have been created, and the course is much more challenging on certain holes. Beginners to average players should expect frustration on holes 11, E, and 17, but long time players of the course will be pleased. I fall into both categories (slightly below average player, but played the course for many years now) and find myself rather ambivalent so far.

Fun at the Dam

5+    9/23/2012   9/24/2012
Review By: steven2361
Pros: There is a great variety here. Open bombers, tricky greens, ob, short technical holes, tons of elevation, Hoover has it all. There are two sets of concrete tees with good signage. Hole 2 is a fun downhill bomber looking straight at the dam. There a few par 4s here. The elevated pin on hole 5 is nice. It is awesome there are 27 holes here. The two sets of tees make the course very accessible for players of all skill levels. Overall, this is a very fun course.
Cons: Much of the course is very open. They just took out holes 10-14 for the winter. I feel the course could be redesigned and made better. Possibly add more par 4s and 5s, lengthen the course, and have less wide open holes. Some holes I don't really care for. Hole 5 and 6 are repetitive short hyzers. 9 is just an open hyzer. 14 does not really have a good line to the basket making it a tweener hole. Hole G is completely wide open and boring.
Other Thoughts: Site of the Brett Hambrick Memorial NT. After hole 14 play the letter holes and then play 15-18 to finish.

Good, solid course

5+    8/20/2012   8/23/2012
Review By: lildragon
Pros: - Good mix of short and long
- Multiple concrete tee pads
- Multiple pin placements
- Clean and well maintained
- Third 9 helps with congestion
- Nice flow from hole to hole
Cons: - Can get crowded at times
- Holes 10-14 are currently closed for restoration. This puts a major dampener on course flow and playability.
Other Thoughts: Grew up playing this course, its a great example of what a course should be. When all holes are open for play this is a wonderful course to play and learn the different shots you'll need to master.

A little overrated

2-4    7/14/2012   7/24/2012
Review By: danthehammer
Pros: -Good signs
-Not overly crowded
-Multiple pins
-Multiple places to park
-27 holes (if all are open)
Cons: -Several holes are wide open and straight and the only challenge is length
-Holes 10-14 on the back 9 have been closed for a year as of now
-Several holes are beside roadways that usually have pedestrians
Other Thoughts: I haven't actually played the back 9 here, so I probably shouldn't be writing a review yet, but the fact that 5 holes of the back 9 have been closed for a year now is part of why I wanted to write a review. Many of the holes on this course feel uninspired to me, with little obstacles. Most of the front nine is in a wide open field with few elevation changes after the first two holes. On one hole (I think it's 6) the pin is on a pyramid like structure for some reason, I have no idea why, but it annoys me. The Alpha 9 does offer a few wooded holes that are very narrow and have sharp bends, but once it gets back into the fields the holes are a little to straight forward for my tastes. Personally I prefer courses that are more heavily wooded, but if your are player that prefers long open holes this may be the course for you.

A Dam Good Time

1    4/18/2012   5/17/2012
Review By: bygwyllay
Pros: This course has everything you want: open bombs, elevated shots, great views, tight fairways through some thick pines...should satisfy you on every level. You will bust out 90% of the discs in your bag. Let's get to it:

Front 9 is WIDE open and plays south of the Hoover Dam. As such, a great bit of wind comes into play here. There are treelines to keep in mind, as well as a few mature trees as fairway obstacles. Signature shot is #2, blasting down a hill with the dam as a backdrop. Nice touch on hole #5 - the pin is raised on a pedastal with steps up the side to retreve your disc from the basket. Some undulating hills fool with your line of sight on #7, and 8 and 9 are wonderful companions in a patch of flatland at the base of the dam's runoff.

The back nine plays on the other side of the main drive up to the parking lot, and runs up the one side of the hill and down the other. (Holes 10-14 were closed as they were rejuvinating the fairway greens, but I was able to walk along the edges of these and get a good feel for them.) This side of the road is where you find out what you're made of. 10-14 are an uphill battle (literally) through slices of pine groves on the left, and a huge ravine on the right. The fairways are large enough in most cases but the terrain is threatening and distracting. The gauntlet continues once you reach the top of the hill - holes 15-17 play through the forest as you head back down and are truly the most challening holes on the original 18. A couple "choose your own adventure" fairways let you take a chance or play is safe, depending on how the rest of your round has gone. You then cross back over the main road and 18 finishes in the field next to #6 - a pleasantly simple hole to end your round.

They have recently added nine bonus holes at the top of the hill after #14, and I recommend playing them. A follows to the right of that main road, and B's pin sends you back into the thickest pine grove I've ever seen. For C, D and E, someone went through with a tree shear and literally cut a fairway through the pines. The stumps are still there so be careful where you step, but if your shot isn't spot on stumps will be the least of your worries. I somehow miraculously pared these three, but If you end up in the trunks good luck on trying to get out - they are that thick. You then cross the road and play holes F through I, which are in a wide open field similar to the front nine. You then pick up #15 and head back down the hill.
Cons: My main complaint with this gem of a course is that while the design of it makes perfect sense, it really pisses me off. It's like you are playing two completely different courses on each side of the road. To the left (1-9, F-I) you have wide open, lazy wanderings that are very fun to play and pardon my bluntness but EASY. On the right (10-18, A-E) you have the taut, difficult shots that require pinpoint accuracy and utmost concentration. All I'm asking for here is a break from the monotony. I understand that the road is there acting as a divider but maybe shoot one or two over it (it's just a park road) to add another dimension to the course. I was shocked that even the bonus holes were split up this way. If you can't change the layout of the holes themselves, maybe reorder the holes? Just a thought. This in no way affects the ambiance of the course, but the stark contrast is relevant. This course could be in 4-star territory if the layout had as much variety as the types of holes proffered.

And speaking of types of holes available, how can you have a course play right next to a dam and not have any water hazards? Like, not even one? At the base of the dam, maybe? Across the stream? SOMETHING! Oh, well.
Other Thoughts: Brent Hambrick is very well maintained, and they even have a memorial tree honoring him on hole #8. Great to see the locals rejuvinating the fairway grass on 10-14, even though it prevented me from playing them. They had caution tape up and signs everywhere explaining why. Hopefully everyone adhers to these so they can reopen this summer.

Good signage throughout, especially on the lettered holes. Please take note of pin placements, especially on the bonus holes at the top of the hill.

A professional atmosphere overall. Would definitely play again. Well done.

Awesome Park

1    11/17/2011   11/18/2011
Review By: insaneforchains
Pros: Very beautiful course. A good mix of open and wooded fairways. It was pretty cold unfortunately but it is November. There was plenty of trash cans throughout the course as such it was very clean. Great views of the Hoover Dam!
Cons: There were no facilities that I saw. I know for men it is not really a big issue but ladies need a restroom. It was pretty muddy throughout the course as a result of the recent rain.
Other Thoughts: I will definitely be playing this course the next time that I am in Columbus :)

Glad to be in Ohio

1    7/7/2011   7/8/2011
Review By: kev32650
Pros: -good mix of holes righty lefty straight and short and long
-short and long tees on almost every hole
-27 holes (always a plus)
-great tee signs and tee pads
-some of the best greens I've played
-challenges you with lots of shots
Cons: -a few holes especially F, G, H a little boring, just open and a bit of a let down after playing a great course. Think next time I'll start on A.
-no drinking fountains or facilities just a port a john, makes it harder to bring the family to
-holes 10-14 are out of commission. (not necessarily a con cuz they need to keep it looking nice) just a con cuz I wanted to play the whole thing!
-a few long walks between holes, but they made the most of what they had to work with. Mostly F,G,H where I felt that way. (definitely my least favorite part of the course)
Other Thoughts: I have been wanting to play this course for a long time and now that I'm in Ohio full time I'm sure I'll be playing it a lot. Think I'm going back Sunday for doubles. Definitely want to play it again.

I've definitely played better courses, but this one has a lot to offer. I like courses with replay factor and short and long tees and good variety like this course make you want to play it again and again and again.

The greens were awesome on 4, 7, 8 maybe some others that I'm forgetting. Thought I had parked 8 but ended up with a 35 foot straight up hill putt from inside a bush. Then was putting almost straight down to save the 3. Things like that make a relatively open part of the course way more interesting.

Definitely excited to play 10-14 next spring and get the full experience of the course.

17 was my favorite hole so far. Took a 5 on it. I love those long throws through woods. Very good challenge to go back and get a 3 on it.

Also excited to get back and play the longs. I'm sure I will be out there a lot.