San Francisco, CA
Golden Gate Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: ERicJ Hole #12 (Taken 9/2011)
"Next tee" sign to point you in the right direction

< Prev 1 2 3
Nice

1    7/26/2016   7/27/2016
Review By: Mr72datsun
This review was updated on 7/28/2016
Pros: Imagine going to pebble beach ball golf course and no one is there. No one to take your money. No one else playing the course. That is how it felt to me this morning. Golden gate park is great in general and the disc course is really a nice bonus. Played the 18 hole course twice. 3 over and even par. Where was everyone? No problem with crowd on Tuesday morning. We completed the first 18 prior to the next people showing up. The people we saw on the 2nd round were all nice and moving along nicely.
Super easy to navigate.
Nice amount of elevation change.
Good for beginners. My wife played all but one hole.
Challenging course for me.
Nicely maintained by locals. Really quite impressive.
Not too many homeless. We saw about 5, but they were all fine.
Perfect weather.
Cons: The fog horns. Come on guys can't you do something about that?
Other Thoughts: I wanna play again tomorrow.

There are a number of holes which are labeled as par 4. Some under 400 feet which seems odd to me.

5+    9/3/2015   9/21/2015
Review By: Brain
Pros: - great course layout
- well maintained
- difficult challenges on every hole.
Cons: - can take a long time to play.
- if hole 1 is crowded, people can easily jump to hole 10 and really slow down the pace of play.

Nice Park

1    9/18/2015   9/21/2015
Review By: Tcollins88
Pros: Beautiful park to play in. Shady trees and green grass.
Trees also make this a technical course.
Very nice paths.
Cons: Could use better signage. The hole description signs are small so not very detailed. Also, no signs showing where the next hole is, so if you're new to the course, you may have to search a bit. I couldn't even find the tee for hole 14.
Other Thoughts: This isn't local for me, but will be on my to do again list whenever I'm in town.

A true destination stop

1    7/7/2015   7/8/2015
Review By: nin1002
Pros: So many...where to begin. The course was gorgeous. I was there in the late morning on a weekday, and I saw very few other people there. The ones I did encounter, we all stopped and chatted about where we were from (I met three other groups along the way and all of them were from out of state like myself). This was an enjoyable experience. The holes had a large amount of variety, and as they move the pins around, the course would play in a different manner. Not that this course is lacking for replay value in the first place. It looked like a number of the baskets could be placed up on some sort of pedestal, but this was only the case for me on one hole (#11). I enjoyed that. There was no garbage to be found anywhere which I found surprising considering I didn't see any garbage cans and I cannot imagine the volume of people out there. Even on a few shots that I threw pretty significantly off course, I was able to locate my disc with no issues. Everything about this park exceeded my expectations.
Cons: The only limitations I have for this part are the traffic to get there was intense. I was also not aware how large the park was in the first place and it took a stop to find a map and figure it all out. If you go there, be prepared for how large this park is!!! I had a few minor issues on some of the back 9 holes figuring out where to go to get to the next tee box. Also, someone was being cute and flipped some of the letters on the tee box signage, so they were not all in their proper locations. This was not so much an issue for me as I really wanted to walk the hole and make sure I knew what was going on in front of me and gave me an opportunity to reset the tee boxes for future groups! :)
Other Thoughts: I really wish I had an opportunity to play this course a handful more times, but alas. It just isn't meant to be on this trip. I had no issues with crowds, but I can see it being a major issue. I also got a bit too close one two of my throws from soaring it out of the park and into the road!!!! Fortunately, one of them came up pretty short and the other got cut down, but it was minorly uncomfortable for me for a few seconds there. Really, the whole course gets a lot of points right off the bat for being a course in the heart of a city of 800,000. Making it a phenomenal course just adds to the already large draw it has going for it.

extremely hard

1    8/6/2014   8/8/2014
Review By: blazer
Pros: Lots of pros here, central remote location, plus always great weather. Every person I ran into here was extremely passionate about the sport. The locals are very friendly and inviting, and extremely helpful if it is your first round here. Immediately off the bat I could tell the sense of pride and creativity that went into the design of this coarse, and the hard work of the people that keep it nice, which I was told by someone that a group of people do regularly. The baskets are in good shape, almost like brand new, and the paths are mostly lined decorative wood logs to mark where you walk, also the signs are fully intact and non damaged. There is a very helpful coarse map at hole 1, if you take a picture of it with your I Phone, you will be good through the coarse on navigating it. there is concrete tees and trash cans so the place stays non littered. tricky shots involved (at least for someone with my small skill set). Some incline and decline shots along with interesting pin placements, one of which was on tops of cut logs like stepping stones about six and a half feet in the air.
Cons: Probably the only cons I found was that the coarse was difficult to navigate and so that might propose a problem, but most likely no because they have the map, and people always carry their cell phones with them now every where we go. Another con is that the park isn't just used for disc golf which obviously that means pedestrians walking causing you to wait, also people don't always wait for you to pay attention that you are blocking their shot so pay attention for flying discs. One last con on the day I went was that they were getting ready for Outlanders, which I think was a concert going on, so I can't hold that against the coarse itself, but with the fencing they put up, around the park, and completely blocking off hole ten's basket it was a challenge to get around, but we did not let that stop us
Other Thoughts: I will definately be back when I can. It was awesome even with the 3 hours of driving one way it took us to get there from home.

Close to perfect

5+    5/18/2014   5/20/2014
Review By: mdegs
This review was updated on 1/21/2015
Pros: Good variety of shots and hole length(s) considering this course is set in a urban park with plenty of trees. Every hole has at least three pin placements and some have four or five (!). These get mixed up a fair bit and makes the course interesting.

The best free, public course I have played. Patrick Brown and the local crew put in a ton of effort here and it shows. Leaves are raked, grass is seeded, trees are planted, pathways are reinforced, retaining walls are built. Truly a feat to keep this course looking as good as it does!

My highlight holes: 3, straight down the pipe. 5, pick your line carefully! 11, on the pyramid. 15, fun valley to shoot across. 17/18 are good, too, depending on pin placement.
Cons: Can get very crowded on weekends (even some weekdays). Slight fairway overlap (6/7/8, 15/16, 17/18) but it's not usually an issue, even when crowded. Just be mindful of your fellow golfers and wait til you hear "clear!" or you see them on the next tee.

The city recently took down some trees on 15/16 which is a bit of a double-edged sword (more open vs. tougher/tighter shot).
Other Thoughts: If you're passing through, a great time to tour the course with locals is at the Sunday morning weekly (8am-10am).

The course is closed during Outside Lands and Hardly Strictly.

Great course

2-4    4/19/2014   4/20/2014
Review By: Fntsygamr
Pros: Great signs
Great pads
Great pin placements
Beautiful scenery
Great location
Discs for sale on site (at times)
Hot dogs for sale on street
Restrooms close by
Parking seems to be easy to come by
Picnic tables for relaxing before & after rounds
Cons: Can get busy in the early afternoon
If there is a festival or other events in the park, there will be many many people in the park
Bikers, picnics, and walker/runners not always paying attention to golfers (just be mindful this is a busy area)
Other Thoughts: Bring water & snacks, please use the waste buckets and don't litter this beautiful course. The feel of a wilderness setting, but in the middle of a city. This is a great place to play for all skill levels. Signature hole #11 is amazing. Blind shots to some placements, will require a fairway walk to see basket. Love this course and will play again many times.

5+    10/25/2011   1/5/2013
Review By: DannyThunders
Pros: -Huge shots
-Plenty of variety for both handed people here
-Does not feel like a city course , feels like a woods course
-AMAZING locals, had a great time meeting people and playing with them here
-Centrally located in an awesome city
-Very fun shots played in the pines , watch your disc
-Tournament grade course , only one short hole (#2)
Cons: -Hole #10 is kind of boring
-Easy to loose a disc
-Random people walking or jogging through course
Other Thoughts: Awesome course, if you're in SF you MUST PLAY THIS COURSE. Great variety of shots for LHBH / RHBH. Very challenging big shots, hole 12 is a massive left dogleg. Skate shop that sells discs not far away on Geary (Purple elephant) . The locals are great, everytime i played someone would join me and give me great company , will definitely try to play this course again.

Great Round!

1    6/30/2012   7/5/2012
Review By: Nathan04W
Pros: -Big Concrete Tees
-Great Signage
-Great Elevation Use
-Challenging Lines
-Great Locals
-YOU CAN BUY FOOD AT HOLE 1!!!!
Cons: -Had To Wait At Some Tees(Friendly People to Talk to While Waiting)
-Random People Just Standing In The Fairways Sometimes(This Is San Fransisco's Backyard So Understandable)
Other Thoughts: My brother and I were on vacation and decided we HAD to play this course and IT WAS WORTH IT! Coming from Ohio I've never played with this kind of elevation and it was a challenge! This course has holes you won't see anywhere else. The Ravine hole was just awesome!!!!! We even jumped in a group with some AWESOME locals who were extremely welcoming and friendly! I would go out of my way to play this course anytime I come back to California! All in all this was a memorable course to play and coming from the east coast I got some bragging rights for back home!

2-4    2/4/2012   3/6/2012
Review By: parTake30
This review was updated on 3/10/2012
Pros: this is the best course ive played. the course is set up well, clearly marked, and had multiple basket locations. very clean, there are people who walk the course picking up trash. most of the baskets are visible, but theres a few blind shots. the park is well maintained.
Cons: ive never played a course with so many people on it! i must have played at the peak of the day because i probably waited at least 10 - 15 minutes on each hole. make sure to bring something to drink, cus theres nothing out there. a lot of recreation traffic, heads up.
Other Thoughts: if in the san francisco area, i recommend this course. its a lot of fun.

< Prev 1 2 3