San Francisco, CA
Golden Gate Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: joegraham Hole #6 (Taken 10/2012)

extremely hard

1    8/6/2014   8/8/2014
Review By: blazer
Pros: Lots of pros here, central remote location, plus always great weather. Every person I ran into here was extremely passionate about the sport. The locals are very friendly and inviting, and extremely helpful if it is your first round here. Immediately off the bat I could tell the sense of pride and creativity that went into the design of this coarse, and the hard work of the people that keep it nice, which I was told by someone that a group of people do regularly. The baskets are in good shape, almost like brand new, and the paths are mostly lined decorative wood logs to mark where you walk, also the signs are fully intact and non damaged. There is a very helpful coarse map at hole 1, if you take a picture of it with your I Phone, you will be good through the coarse on navigating it. there is concrete tees and trash cans so the place stays non littered. tricky shots involved (at least for someone with my small skill set). Some incline and decline shots along with interesting pin placements, one of which was on tops of cut logs like stepping stones about six and a half feet in the air.
Cons: Probably the only cons I found was that the coarse was difficult to navigate and so that might propose a problem, but most likely no because they have the map, and people always carry their cell phones with them now every where we go. Another con is that the park isn't just used for disc golf which obviously that means pedestrians walking causing you to wait, also people don't always wait for you to pay attention that you are blocking their shot so pay attention for flying discs. One last con on the day I went was that they were getting ready for Outlanders, which I think was a concert going on, so I can't hold that against the coarse itself, but with the fencing they put up, around the park, and completely blocking off hole ten's basket it was a challenge to get around, but we did not let that stop us
Other Thoughts: I will definately be back when I can. It was awesome even with the 3 hours of driving one way it took us to get there from home.

Close to perfect

5+    5/18/2014   5/20/2014
Review By: mdegs
Pros: Nice mix of holes and elevation. Some wide open shots, but many trees and other natural obstacles. The best free, public course I have played. Patrick Brown and the local crew put in a ton of effort here and it shows.
Cons: Crowded on weekends so get an early start! Some tee signs need help (broken placards / missing 'D' positions) but I'm sure they'll get fixed in time.
Other Thoughts: Fun weekly singles league on Sunday mornings. Closed during Outside Lands and Hardly Strictly.

Great course

2-4    4/19/2014   4/20/2014
Review By: Fntsygamr
Pros: Great signs
Great pads
Great pin placements
Beautiful scenery
Great location
Discs for sale on site (at times)
Hot dogs for sale on street
Restrooms close by
Parking seems to be easy to come by
Picnic tables for relaxing before & after rounds
Cons: Can get busy in the early afternoon
If there is a festival or other events in the park, there will be many many people in the park
Bikers, picnics, and walker/runners not always paying attention to golfers (just be mindful this is a busy area)
Other Thoughts: Bring water & snacks, please use the waste buckets and don't litter this beautiful course. The feel of a wilderness setting, but in the middle of a city. This is a great place to play for all skill levels. Signature hole #11 is amazing. Blind shots to some placements, will require a fairway walk to see basket. Love this course and will play again many times.

5+    10/25/2011   1/5/2013
Review By: DannyThunders
Pros: -Huge shots
-Plenty of variety for both handed people here
-Does not feel like a city course , feels like a woods course
-AMAZING locals, had a great time meeting people and playing with them here
-Centrally located in an awesome city
-Very fun shots played in the pines , watch your disc
-Tournament grade course , only one short hole (#2)
Cons: -Hole #10 is kind of boring
-Easy to loose a disc
-Random people walking or jogging through course
Other Thoughts: Awesome course, if you're in SF you MUST PLAY THIS COURSE. Great variety of shots for LHBH / RHBH. Very challenging big shots, hole 12 is a massive left dogleg. Skate shop that sells discs not far away on Geary (Purple elephant) . The locals are great, everytime i played someone would join me and give me great company , will definitely try to play this course again.

Great Round!

1    6/30/2012   7/5/2012
Review By: Nathan04W
Pros: -Big Concrete Tees
-Great Signage
-Great Elevation Use
-Challenging Lines
-Great Locals
-YOU CAN BUY FOOD AT HOLE 1!!!!
Cons: -Had To Wait At Some Tees(Friendly People to Talk to While Waiting)
-Random People Just Standing In The Fairways Sometimes(This Is San Fransisco's Backyard So Understandable)
Other Thoughts: My brother and I were on vacation and decided we HAD to play this course and IT WAS WORTH IT! Coming from Ohio I've never played with this kind of elevation and it was a challenge! This course has holes you won't see anywhere else. The Ravine hole was just awesome!!!!! We even jumped in a group with some AWESOME locals who were extremely welcoming and friendly! I would go out of my way to play this course anytime I come back to California! All in all this was a memorable course to play and coming from the east coast I got some bragging rights for back home!

2-4    2/4/2012   3/6/2012
Review By: parTake30
This review was updated on 3/10/2012
Pros: this is the best course ive played. the course is set up well, clearly marked, and had multiple basket locations. very clean, there are people who walk the course picking up trash. most of the baskets are visible, but theres a few blind shots. the park is well maintained.
Cons: ive never played a course with so many people on it! i must have played at the peak of the day because i probably waited at least 10 - 15 minutes on each hole. make sure to bring something to drink, cus theres nothing out there. a lot of recreation traffic, heads up.
Other Thoughts: if in the san francisco area, i recommend this course. its a lot of fun.

Beautiful Course.

5+    4/25/2011   4/26/2011
Review By: Lupus Yonderboy
Pros: As this is my home course, I am a bit biased... but I just love this course!

The teepads are top notch (good length, level concrete). The hole maps are very easy to read and have a convenient dial that tells you what pin position the basket is on. All the baskets are in good condition. Like other reviewers have mentioned, the pin positions can be VERY different and seriously change the feel of each hole. I really like this and look forward to each new configuration. I'd say about half the pins are changed every 1-2 weeks.

The front 9 and back 9 are very different from each other, which I think lends itself to the appeal of the course. The front is a bit tighter and more technical while the back opens up (though still wooded) and has more elevation change.

No poison oak! I cannot stress how much I love not having to worry about it at all on this course.
Cons: Like other reviewers have mentioned, the course is EXTREMELY crowded. Having learned to play here, it wasn't until I visited numerous other courses that I realized just how busy GGP can be. Weekday afternoons/evenings see steady numbers of players, while weekend days are absolutely packed.

While I do support anyone who wants to play and encourage beginners, there are many folks out at the park on weekends who really don't seem interested in learning the game at all -- just finding something to do while getting hammered drunk with a bunch of friends. This can really kill the flow...
Other Thoughts: The local club does a great job of maintaining the course and constantly trying to improve it. Considering the amount of people (both dgers and other park users) that come through the course, it is really pretty clean.

Some basket to next tee transitions can be a bit confusing to navigate if you haven't played it before... but since the course always has other players on it, there's always someone to ask.

Worthy of its reputation!

1    4/5/2011   4/6/2011
Review By: elton807
This review was updated on 10/1/2011
Pros: First 5 holes flow very nicely. Fun back nine. A very charming and woodsy course perfectly placed in the one and only Golden Gate Park. The weather was absolutely perfect in mid-60s during our round. Very friendly and courteous crowd. The course is as clean and manicured as you can possibly imagine. Those trees!
Cons: Holes 6-8 all run parallel to each other, so you need to traverse to the next tee box across incoming drives from previous holes. Those trees!
Other Thoughts: For a Tuesday early afternoon, it was pretty busy but bearable. First time I ever had to wait at a teebox, but never got too bad. I need to play this course at least a couple times a year.
=================
Uniqueness: A (old feeling for new course; ideal surroundings)
Difficulty: A- (not too long; tons of trees; nice elevation variation)
Fun factor: A (myriad of drives & shots)
Aesthetics: A+ (every hole is interesting & different; super clean)
----------------------
Overall: A

Overview

1    1/2/2011   3/7/2011
Review By: LethargicMind
Pros: Well kept, good variety of hole types, good elevation change, challenging but playable, good flow of people (only a couple of back up holes), family friendly
Cons: Somewhat hard to find the next hole. Find a local to play with.
Other Thoughts: This is a very scenic course. I took a bus 30 minutes each way, then walked 30 blocks to buy a couple of dics (because I didnt bring any with on my trip). It was worth it.Nice course!

Fantastic!

1    11/26/2009   1/3/2010
Review By: Peanut
Pros: Unbelievable play in the middle of a city.
Challenging course with many different kinds of shots necessary.
Cons: There was a bit of trash around the tees. As it was a bit crowded, there is plenty of time to clean up the area, but no one seemed to. That being said, it was not THAT trashy and considering it was in the middle of a large city, I was impressed.
Other Thoughts: If you are anywhere near SF, you have to come play this course!. I can't wait to come back!