San Francisco, CA
Course Sign

Top Notch

1    7/18/2014   7/21/2014
Review By: getchofil
Pros: Signage at all holes. Tee pads standard sized with a few that had been extended. With the course laid out in two, nine hole loops, there's the great break to just run the front or back nine.

The course is very well landscaped, clearly marked paths, with signs that the course is consistently being worked on (piles of leaves waiti to get picked up, and what looked like a stack of bricks for extending more tee pads.

The course requires a good variety of shots, necessitating well shaped shots.", making for an extremely fun round.
Cons: This is definitely a multiple-use park, but throughout the round when others were near by, they were pretty respectful of the fact that this part of the park was for disc golf. There were some people who were just Iivious, but even with signs posted, stating "Entering Disc Golf Course: Watch for flying discs," you can't really expect everyone to read, right?

There are probably a few spots where fairways get closer than I'd have liked but the course isn't anything new and probably just means that I need to have better control. For those few holes that they can see the distinct possibility of discs getting near other fairways there are netted fences ( so a positive from what I was trying to note as a negative, which the folks who run the course have already noted and made the improvement).
Other Thoughts: This is an amazing course when it comes to fun holes, difficult shots, and in a gorgeous park full of 100ft+ trees (providing shade and cover from rain), through much of the course.

Home Course, Favorite Course

5+    8/25/2011   8/25/2011
Review By: Gigantomachy
Pros: -You're in the woods in the middle of a huge city
-Extremely well kept
-Great community
-Constant rotation of pin placements
-Still very challenging after years of playing there
Cons: -Can get really busy on weekends/holidays
-The occasional inconsiderate supagroup

AWESOME PERIOD!!!!!!!!

1    5/29/2011   5/31/2011
Review By: arcechris21
Pros: -Everything people, placement of tees to holes, area, and day.
Cons: -A little hard to find the disc, but who cares thats what makes a great course.
-I don't have this course here in Huntington beach.
Other Thoughts: I had a blast! I just wish i could have played here with my friends from home but, I still had a blast can't wait to make another trip up.

Great Morning in Golden Gate

2-4    6/10/2010   6/20/2010
Review By: NothinButChing
Pros: There is a wide range of difficulties to maneuver thru when playing this course. The first 9 holes are inside a forest of trees that will be happy to knock down any type of shot you think you can blast past them.
The back 9 is differing altitudes and lengths to test your drives and deep putts.
The par 4's saved my life my second time thru when I was keeping score, although they should have been farther in distance for actual par 4's.
Great donation tee pads and hole maps (which I absolutely love!!)
Cons: This course gets very busy so need to play it early.

Par 4's are kind of short (which works out sometimes too)

Other Thoughts: How many PDGA Tournaments have been played at this course?

Local's View

5+    4/27/2009   4/28/2009
Review By: peter booth
Pros: This course gives me the challenge I need. I love this course. Damn near perfect. I've played it over 500 times, and the way it's designed, it still can kick my butt. Like hole 8 in C position! And the narrow alley that is 4 (and also 5)! Tee off from 11 and tell me you don't love it too!
Also, a great active club here that changes the pins around often, and does all the course up keep. Very friendly and considerate people. Course in better shape than De Lavega in Santa Cruz (signage, construction of, beauty of), which is the gold standard around here. (even though they do have 27 holes to our 18)
Cons: Tobacco smoke, and a few overdo the alcohol thing, plus dropping or forgetting trash, like bottles.
I say pack it in, pack it out. Leave no trace!
Slammed with players weekdays and especially weekends.
We really do need a second course, here in SF.
Some are working on a plan for McLaren Park, across town near the Cow Palace. Officials, respectfully and kindly, please note!
Other Thoughts: No Poison IVY in the state of California, look it up, please, if you doubt.
No Poison OAK on this course, as Golden Gate Park was planted like a garden, which it is. In the 1800's and before, this spot was all Sand Dunes. The soil and plants were brought in. And we did Not plant poison oak. I feel compelled to end this rumor, so Anyone finding said 'poison oak'- please contact me with it's exact location, and maybe a picture. We'll check it out right away. p.s. I am quite allergic to poison oak, and it is one of my favorite features of this entire park that there is none. Thanks.

SFDG

12/17/2007   1/11/2008
Review By: uofc2003
Pros: This course is fabulous. Many difficult tees where there are trees, trees, trees.
Cons: Crowded and slow on the weekends.
Other Thoughts: To address the other reviewer of this course: there is no poison ivy in California. There is no poison ivy on this course.