San Francisco, CA
Golden Gate Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: Mavurick Hole #17 (Taken 4/2014)

A slice of Heaven in Metropolis

1    0/0/0000   8/14/2012
Review By: Stan McDaniel
Pros: This was my first course played on a week swing through Cali. What a gorgeous piece of property. I saw the largest Eucalyptus trees I have ever seen. Huge pines too and even a few Redwoods. I thoroughly enjoy playing this course. I had the good fortune of having Patrick Brown as a guide. I was suprised that they have been allowed to use as much property as they currently occupy. There is plenty of elevation to keep you on your toes. The fun factor is way above my 3.5 rating.
Cons: Safety is why I didn't rate the course a 4. The biggest con for me was the proximity of some holes to each other. Errant shots have ample opportunity to get into other farways, tees or greens in a number of places, and they do! I suppose the designer was trying to get as much as they could out of the land they were allowed to use. I may have had some difficulty getting around the course if I didn't have a guide. Although, with so many people playing the course, and it was packed, I probably could have followed the group in front and been okay.
Other Thoughts: Patrick Brown and hs crew have done a great job of landscaping this course. It is a work in progress, but it is amazing to see the terracing and backfilling and the grass growing where they have planted seed. I cannot imagine trying to make all this happen with all the foot traffic they see there. The course is very fun and in a majestic stand of woods. Kudos to the Golden Gate Gang who take care of this course.

5+    7/23/2012   7/26/2012
Review By: lrghmn
Pros: -It's in Golden Gate Park
-There are a variety of tree species
-It's really well maintained.
-There is always a scene there: (tacos, disc merchants, recyclers, underground beer dudes, Edibles, interesting golf groups).
-The course has lots of fun holes.
Cons: Parking can be a problem on the weekends. It's usually pretty crowded. And it's not the most family friendly course.
Other Thoughts: It's totally San Francisco.

Great Round!

1    6/30/2012   7/5/2012
Review By: Nathan04W
Pros: -Big Concrete Tees
-Great Signage
-Great Elevation Use
-Challenging Lines
-Great Locals
-YOU CAN BUY FOOD AT HOLE 1!!!!
Cons: -Had To Wait At Some Tees(Friendly People to Talk to While Waiting)
-Random People Just Standing In The Fairways Sometimes(This Is San Fransisco's Backyard So Understandable)
Other Thoughts: My brother and I were on vacation and decided we HAD to play this course and IT WAS WORTH IT! Coming from Ohio I've never played with this kind of elevation and it was a challenge! This course has holes you won't see anywhere else. The Ravine hole was just awesome!!!!! We even jumped in a group with some AWESOME locals who were extremely welcoming and friendly! I would go out of my way to play this course anytime I come back to California! All in all this was a memorable course to play and coming from the east coast I got some bragging rights for back home!

1    10/13/2011   5/26/2012
Review By: Speedly
Pros: - A variety of holes, with varying difficulty and skills required.
- Not just a fire-at-the-pin course. Definitely a course that makes you think about your shots before you throw them.
- Very nice setting.
Cons: - The drinking fountains, according to the locals, are not safe to drink from here.
- Course is on the longer side, not particularly suited for beginner play.
- Lots of places for discs to run off to and evaporate into thin air.
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed my time here playing with a friend from Nebraska. It reminded me of my home course, Shady Oaks Orangevale, but with more elevation change and a bit harder.

I wasn't a big fan of the ravine hole, but I can see its appeal and challenge at the same time.

All in all, it was fun, but man, was I tired at the end of the day!

Fantastic Improvements

5+    5/2/2012   5/6/2012
Review By: staffordaddict
Pros: they have done a ton of work to tidy the place up, and it really shows. if the grass they've planted holds, it will be sweeeeet. lots of tight and hard holes, a few nice easy holes, good variety.
Cons: it gets crowded and it's so crowded, that people don't let you play through.
Other Thoughts: when the course was first built, I liked it. over the past couple years, it got kind of nasty - dirty, garbage, ugly weeds, and some spots where the homeless spent the night. all that nasty seems to be gone and as of 5/2/2012, the course really looks fantastic. on facebook someone described it as looking like a japanese garden. i think that's a good description of some of the holes with the new green grass and cool trees.

Great at Golden Gate

1    3/12/2012   3/19/2012
Review By: BlackCrow77
Pros: Overall, this place was excellent! Great scenery with a mixture of tree types. Many challenging shots-short and long. Concrete pads with signage a plus. Good elevation changes.
Cons: It was a little crowded. A few holes are in close proximity to each other (cages are built behind the tee to protect players). Like any city park watch out for the oblivious...
Other Thoughts: Having only played this once, I noticed the multiple pin placements, this allows a good variety at a course. Met some locals and ended up playing entire round with them. I'm sure I would have easily figured out the layout, but was cool having experts around. You'd be crazy not to check this place out when in SF area.

Beautiful Course in the Park

2-4    3/8/2012   3/9/2012
Review By: RAW32728
Pros: In the city of San Francisco, so you could get there without a car. The park is well maintained and that includes the DG side of things (which we rarely see).
The course is a bit short, but will test your accuracy.
It is easily navigated and keeps you interested to see what the next shot will be around the bend.
Cons: There wasn't any water to be had on the course, and the restrooms were only available at the start of the course, though that wouldn't deter most guys. Ladies, you'll want to plan. Crowding can be an issue so its definitely best to play early while the crowds are down.
Other Thoughts: The course has plenty of elevation changes to make it interesting and shade is a welcome thing where I come from and I wish I had this course near my house.
Loved playing here, just wish I could have met some locals to play doubles or league with.
PLAY THIS COURSE TWICE!!! You won't regret it.

2-4    2/4/2012   3/6/2012
Review By: parTake30
This review was updated on 3/10/2012
Pros: this is the best course ive played. the course is set up well, clearly marked, and had multiple basket locations. very clean, there are people who walk the course picking up trash. most of the baskets are visible, but theres a few blind shots. the park is well maintained.
Cons: ive never played a course with so many people on it! i must have played at the peak of the day because i probably waited at least 10 - 15 minutes on each hole. make sure to bring something to drink, cus theres nothing out there. a lot of recreation traffic, heads up.
Other Thoughts: if in the san francisco area, i recommend this course. its a lot of fun.

GG Park

5+    2/8/2012   2/14/2012
Review By: Sitzmann420
Pros: -Right in the middle of the city
-Beautiful park setting with all kinds of eucalyptus trees, wildlife, and friendly people a like
-Has a good variety of right hand backhand and side arm shots.
-A few ace runs and decent amount of lengthy holes as well.
-Your'e in San Francisco
-Well designed trails, tee pads, tee signs, and layout.
Cons: -It can get crowded on the weekends.
-Pedestrians sometimes walk through the course obliviously.
-A few of the holes back track through to get to the next tee which can be a little dangerous
-It gets wet, windy, and cold ( Pro or Con)
Other Thoughts: Overall this course is great to play almost anytime of the year. You can easily find parking on the outskirts of the park or in marx meadow. I would have to say this is one of my favorite urban courses, just fantastic.

Great course, great community

1    1/31/2012   2/2/2012
Review By: Masonian
Pros: Well maintained even though free
Beautiful trees and elevation changes
Friendly players
Right in the middle of San Fran, in one of the world's great urban parks
Cons: Very few long holes
Busy even on a weekday afternoon
Other Thoughts: The course has a low ceiling of trees throughout almost all of the course, and lots of tree obstacles. Best for the finesse players. Bombers might feel deprived.