San Francisco, CA
Golden Gate Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: Mavurick Hole #5 (Taken 4/2014)

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

1    7/20/2015   7/20/2015
Review By: mattdabbs
Pros: This is the 100th review for this amazing course! I feel lucky to have played the course much less land on the 100th review. The first thing to say about this course is that this course is in an amazing park. There is so much to do around this course that you will definitely want to take a look around before or after your round.

The course itself plays from the main road (JFK) out toward the city of San Francisco along Fulton St. Unless you have a super errant shot, neither street should come into play. We did see one errant shot that left a guy walking on Fulton looking up in the sky to see where the discs were coming from. The look on his face was priceless.

This course plays across some rolling hills and makes excellent use of the elevation playing up, down and across the elevation. Minimal traffic by other park users is a definite plus. May want to wear something that will allow you to do some hiking. Mando use was also done sparingly and only at times when another tee was close to a fairway (which happens in a couple of places). The park was kind enough to provide some netting around a few of the tees to protect you from throws from nearby tees. That was a huge plus and would be a danger without it.

The park gives you plenty of birdie looks, although even on the shorter holes you need accuracy and a bit of luck with the trees. The course flow was excellent as was the trail from hole to hole made navigation incredibly simple. The tee signs were helpful as were the other DG'ers in the park.

The course is in a high traffic area and felt very, very safe with lots of pedestrians all over the place. Unlike many parks with pedestrians, though, they didn't really come into play at all on the course. The only people you have to wait on are other disc golfers (and there are lots of them on this course).

Last, it was nice that the course doubled back by the street/parking at hole 10 and 18. Always nice when that happens.
Cons: The only real issue I had with the park was that it was crowded...very, very crowded. I can understand that given where this park is but it could get crazy. Expect for your round to potentially take a long time with lots of waiting and backup on various holes. At one point we had three other groups waiting behind us on one pad as we waited for the people in front of us to clear the hole and the people playing the neighboring hole to clear our fairway. The locals said to play earlier in the day if you want less traffic and on weekdays...that weekends are the busiest.

At some point they may want to upgrade the baskets to Mach X but that is just my preference after play DeLaveaga earlier in the day with the Mach X's that didn't spit out a thing. I had quite a few spit outs on these but that was probably mostly my own fault.

Other than that, amazing course!
Other Thoughts: This is a must play course in the area. Super fun, easy to navigate, friendly people and scenic. I can't wait to play it again whenever I have a chance.

A nice course in a beautiful park

1    6/29/2015   7/9/2015
Review By: Chromezero
Pros: - The course requires a variety of tee shots, making the course interesting to play. I had a lot of fun here.
- The tee pads are in good shape and had plenty of space for a typical run-up.
- Each tee pad has a sign with basic information about hole placement, helping to locate the baskets.
- The course has a lot of elevation changes but nothing too extreme. I was able to walk the whole course without much effort.
- I think the lined "paths" were a nice touch, although it seems they're rarely used.
Cons: - Finding the next tee pad can be tough without a map or someone to show you the way.
- The course feels a little cramped at times but I realize this is due to limited space.
- Several of the holes are blind shots, which can be frustrating if you're not familiar with the course.
Other Thoughts: This course is located in the Golden Gate Park, which is an amazing park with lots to see and do. I met several of the regulars and all of them were friendly and helpful. As others have mentioned, this course is located in a busy public park and you will definitely cross paths with non-golfers here. The course was a bit muddy when I played, due to the watering effort going on. The course had more dirt than grass, which is a little sad considering how nice the rest of the park is. I'm sure this is due to the amount of traffic this area gets, so I can't really fault the course maintainers.

I think the SFDGC and others have done a great job with the course and they seem to take a lot of pride in maintaining it. If you're in the San Francisco area, I definitely recommend checking this one out.

A true destination stop

1    7/7/2015   7/8/2015
Review By: nin1002
Pros: So many...where to begin. The course was gorgeous. I was there in the late morning on a weekday, and I saw very few other people there. The ones I did encounter, we all stopped and chatted about where we were from (I met three other groups along the way and all of them were from out of state like myself). This was an enjoyable experience. The holes had a large amount of variety, and as they move the pins around, the course would play in a different manner. Not that this course is lacking for replay value in the first place. It looked like a number of the baskets could be placed up on some sort of pedestal, but this was only the case for me on one hole (#11). I enjoyed that. There was no garbage to be found anywhere which I found surprising considering I didn't see any garbage cans and I cannot imagine the volume of people out there. Even on a few shots that I threw pretty significantly off course, I was able to locate my disc with no issues. Everything about this park exceeded my expectations.
Cons: The only limitations I have for this part are the traffic to get there was intense. I was also not aware how large the park was in the first place and it took a stop to find a map and figure it all out. If you go there, be prepared for how large this park is!!! I had a few minor issues on some of the back 9 holes figuring out where to go to get to the next tee box. Also, someone was being cute and flipped some of the letters on the tee box signage, so they were not all in their proper locations. This was not so much an issue for me as I really wanted to walk the hole and make sure I knew what was going on in front of me and gave me an opportunity to reset the tee boxes for future groups! :)
Other Thoughts: I really wish I had an opportunity to play this course a handful more times, but alas. It just isn't meant to be on this trip. I had no issues with crowds, but I can see it being a major issue. I also got a bit too close one two of my throws from soaring it out of the park and into the road!!!! Fortunately, one of them came up pretty short and the other got cut down, but it was minorly uncomfortable for me for a few seconds there. Really, the whole course gets a lot of points right off the bat for being a course in the heart of a city of 800,000. Making it a phenomenal course just adds to the already large draw it has going for it.

World class, has its issues

5+    6/25/2011   6/25/2015
Review By: dgyp
Pros: Loads of work went into the layout, building and continued maintenance. This was my home course until 2009 and I helped build it so maybe I'm biased but I really think a great job was done with the space to work with. I'd give it a 5 if it wasn't for...
Cons: The pedestrians! Ouch it can be a challenge to deal with the occasional drifting ped. The course can be unplayable if theres an event, concert or whatnot. On any given day it can be too crowded with players too.
Other Thoughts: I once witnessed 2 discers almost go to blows because a frat boy thought we'd cut in front of him when all we were doing is waiting for the group in front. The newbies can sometimes add a "non discer" mentality to the course experience HOWEVER I've also made tons of friends and had incredibly awesome rounds because the vast majority just love their course and are proud to share it with everyone.

Prepare to be underwhelmed

1    6/3/2015   6/3/2015
Review By: goosefraba1
Pros: I make this review understanding that I will obviously get several hundred thumbs down by the local bros. Let's begin with the positives, shall we. This is one of the largest and most beautiful parks that I have ever had the pleasure to walk through. It is unfortunate that more of it wasn't alotted for the disc golf course.

The trees on the course are amazing. Just really a beautiful collection of trees on this course. It really makes the place feel majestic.

For such a frequented course, they have done a great job with compaction and erosion. The elevation of this course was used almost perfectly.

I enjoyed the several elevated baskets, and it didn't even really feel "overdone" in any sense. The pads were each sufficient for this course IMO and had plenty of grip. Great pads considering the amount of moisture that has to be there everyday.

My favorite hole was probably hole 18 honestly. Just a great finishing hole.
Cons: Here is where my tone changes quite a bit. Like I said previously, this course was not given enough space. I feel like if 12 holes were put in the same space that it would have flowed better. Granted pads would get backed up even more so, but at least it would be safe.

The entire time that my wife and I played this course, I was either ducking for cover from people playing behind/in front of us... or I was babying shots because I didn't want to be the first person to cause accidental death with a disc. There are nets behind most of the tees to help protect, but this does nothing if you are in the fairways.

The proximity to other park users is very, very close. This happens at many parks, but I have never quite seen it like this before on purpose. Normally, it is due to just overflow from the park... this park seems to have planned it this way.

Layout of the course had you constantly walking back up the fairway that you just threw in order to get to the next tee. Not only is this poor flow... but again it is DANGEROUS.
Other Thoughts: If you are only in town for a few days... I would recommend going to Muir Woods to behold the beautiful Redwood forest instead... or to book Alcatrez. If you have a week or so... then I would recommend playing here if you absolutely have to get a California Course on your list (like I did). Overall, this course could have been the BEST 12 hole course in the world. Instead, it was maybe the most dangerous course layout that I have ever seen... and I was underwhelmed.

Best Course for 100 miles...

5+    5/15/2015   6/2/2015
Review By: robodude
Pros: I live near Sacramento but this is easily one of my Top 5 courses and has been a must to play any time I am in the City for the past decade. I remember being the last to play a few years back when they put in the new tee boxes....playing the course once and then coming back through and all of the baskets were gone (!).
It can be super technical (#4, 5 and 6) or up hill challenging (#12) or relatively wide open (# 3, 10)....but most are potential birdies with just the right drive/putt for us decent players.
Just like the rest of GGP, you lose yourself in the beautiful trees and smell of eucalyptus and forget you're in the middle of a huge City.
Truth be told....the City and the Bay in general NEED MORE COURSES. Berkeley/Alameda is just a frustrating place to lose discs in water and De La Vega is too far. That said, the saving grace is this amazingly beautiful course in the middle of a beautiful park in the middle of a beautiful City!
Cons: Crowds can be an issue....especially in the middle of a weekend day but I've been there early on Saturday mornings and had no problems/waiting whatsoever.
The challenge of non-players wandering through the course is worse than the challenge of other players wandering around in some of the holes on the front 9 that run right next to each other. The netting set up to protect the tees is good but they just put too many holes in too small a space (specifically #s 6/7/8). Not an issue if you know how to keep your discs in the fairway but not everyone is so skilled.
Be careful poking around under bushes in some areas as I have come across some resting local park residents.
Other Thoughts: Lots of great work has been done to clean up the tee boxes, signs and baskets over the years. It used to be that you chanced a twisted ankle with some of the dirt boxes they had years ago....not any more.
I know space is at a super premium in SF but there has to be somewhere else that they can add courses that doesn't require you to drive and drive and drive... (pun intended!).

my new favorite

1    1/16/2015   1/21/2015
Review By: travelsurflive
Pros: Large mixture of different style, difficulty, and length holes. All tee boxes are well kept, fairways are well marked, spread out course. A few really sweet elevated shots
Cons: Large redwood trees, quite a few hard dog leg holes. Can get crowded on weekends.
Other Thoughts: Would play everyday if I could.

An absolute thrill!

2-4    4/7/2014   10/7/2014
Review By: splatbaseball51
Pros: This course is easily one of my favorite courses to play. It offers all of the challenge of a wooded course, yet in the middle of a large metro area. You'll lose yourself when you're out here and forget your in one of the biggest cities in the U.S.

As for the course, it has large concrete tee pads for each hole, as well as 3 pin positions. You'll find the signage to be adequate and the course is so tightly packed that you shouldn't have any trouble navigating.(but that does present another problem, in my cons)

The hole variety is adequate for a 4.0 rated wooded course, but far above that when you consider where it is. I certainly didn't expect to have so many tight technical shots in a large metropolitan park. Being my first time to SF, I half expected open fields like Central Park in NYC, but was pleasantly surprised.

You'll have a good variety of distance, but you won't have the opportunity to really air one out. The course doesn't favor RHBH or RHFH, which is nice as well. Additionally, despite being close to the coast you'll have an ample amount of elevation changes as well (you are in SF after all!)

There are also some neat pin positions and elevated baskets that will add to the challenge. I always enjoy one or two holes that aren't simply buried in the ground.

Seating was never an issue as there seemed to be and ample amount of places to rest along the way. Despite the course not being overly long, with the amount of traffic it gets, you'll definitely need to sit and wait at times. I suggest bringing a stool to assure you'll have a place.

The fairways and paths are well marked, usually with mulch inside of tree limbs. The overall manicured look of the place adds to the experience.
Cons: The course gets extremely crowded at times, which should be expected. Combine that with the nature of the layout and you'll find yourself being cautious in order to avoid hitting people with discs, or being hit yourself. There are screens up at several tee pads and trouble spots in order to catch those rogue screamers, but you'll still find yourself looking over your shoulder.

There isn't a place to really open up a big arm. The park has some spots that perhaps could have been used for such a shot, but I'm sure the logistics of using the greens for a dg course would have been complicated and probably impossible.

You'll need to pause and let pedestrians and non-golfers pass on the numerous trails and such while you're there. Please double check before throwing.

There isn't any water in play, which takes away from the challenge a bit.

You'll have a decent chance of losing a disc. While the park gets trampled down pretty well, there are still a fair amount of trouble spots with underbrush you could lose one in.

When I was there, despite the cities efforts to keep it clean, there was still a fair amount of trash and debris on the course. I know this is extremely hard to keep control of with so many users of the park, but was a touch upsetting.
Other Thoughts: This course is one of the more enjoyable I've ever played, but not necessarily for the reasons you'd expect. It doesn't challenge you as much as others, doesn't have the variety of others, but the overall atmosphere of the place just cultivates good disc golf and overall vibes.

I can't imagine not having a good time while playing Golden Gate Park, thus it easily makes it into my favorites list. If you're in the bay area, you should definitely make a trip to play a round!

extremely hard

1    8/6/2014   8/8/2014
Review By: blazer
Pros: Lots of pros here, central remote location, plus always great weather. Every person I ran into here was extremely passionate about the sport. The locals are very friendly and inviting, and extremely helpful if it is your first round here. Immediately off the bat I could tell the sense of pride and creativity that went into the design of this coarse, and the hard work of the people that keep it nice, which I was told by someone that a group of people do regularly. The baskets are in good shape, almost like brand new, and the paths are mostly lined decorative wood logs to mark where you walk, also the signs are fully intact and non damaged. There is a very helpful coarse map at hole 1, if you take a picture of it with your I Phone, you will be good through the coarse on navigating it. there is concrete tees and trash cans so the place stays non littered. tricky shots involved (at least for someone with my small skill set). Some incline and decline shots along with interesting pin placements, one of which was on tops of cut logs like stepping stones about six and a half feet in the air.
Cons: Probably the only cons I found was that the coarse was difficult to navigate and so that might propose a problem, but most likely no because they have the map, and people always carry their cell phones with them now every where we go. Another con is that the park isn't just used for disc golf which obviously that means pedestrians walking causing you to wait, also people don't always wait for you to pay attention that you are blocking their shot so pay attention for flying discs. One last con on the day I went was that they were getting ready for Outlanders, which I think was a concert going on, so I can't hold that against the coarse itself, but with the fencing they put up, around the park, and completely blocking off hole ten's basket it was a challenge to get around, but we did not let that stop us
Other Thoughts: I will definately be back when I can. It was awesome even with the 3 hours of driving one way it took us to get there from home.

Top Notch

1    7/18/2014   7/21/2014
Review By: getchofil
Pros: Signage at all holes. Tee pads standard sized with a few that had been extended. With the course laid out in two, nine hole loops, there's the great break to just run the front or back nine.

The course is very well landscaped, clearly marked paths, with signs that the course is consistently being worked on (piles of leaves waiti to get picked up, and what looked like a stack of bricks for extending more tee pads.

The course requires a good variety of shots, necessitating well shaped shots.", making for an extremely fun round.
Cons: This is definitely a multiple-use park, but throughout the round when others were near by, they were pretty respectful of the fact that this part of the park was for disc golf. There were some people who were just Iivious, but even with signs posted, stating "Entering Disc Golf Course: Watch for flying discs," you can't really expect everyone to read, right?

There are probably a few spots where fairways get closer than I'd have liked but the course isn't anything new and probably just means that I need to have better control. For those few holes that they can see the distinct possibility of discs getting near other fairways there are netted fences ( so a positive from what I was trying to note as a negative, which the folks who run the course have already noted and made the improvement).
Other Thoughts: This is an amazing course when it comes to fun holes, difficult shots, and in a gorgeous park full of 100ft+ trees (providing shade and cover from rain), through much of the course.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10