San Francisco, CA
Golden Gate Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: Mavurick Hole #1 (Taken 4/2014)

5+    11/11/2012   11/16/2012
Review By: urwatuh8
Pros: The locals have done a phenomenal job improving and maintaining this course. There's plenty of great ammenities: copious benches and trash cans. The tee signs make everything about the hole clear: the layout, distance, and current and other pins positions. There are at least three pin positions for each hole. The course has been impresively landscaped with walking paths, ledge walls, elevated baskets, and the like. There's also big fence walls to protect many of the tees -- a great idea given the close proximity of some holes, and one I hadn't see elsewhere.

This course is also right in San Francisco, very accessible to a lot of people.
Cons: The course is really crammed in. Many of the holes play right next to each other. There are mandos, OBs, guard fences, etc. to help. But it is both something of a safety concern, and limits the hole design. There isn't enough room to have multiple routes or big epic holes. It also means that many holes feel similar -- either very straight, or a generic dogleg.

The course is also quite crowded. Even on a weekday morning there are plenty of players out. And given the cramped nature of the course, you always need to be alert for errant throws.
Other Thoughts: This course feels like the opposite of many other good California courses, which have awe inspiring scenery but mediocre maintenance. Golden gate park is one of the best maintained courses I've seen anywhere, but fails to inspire awe in the way great courses do.

Because the course is high traffic, there is a lot of work done to reduce erosion. Stay on the walking paths when possible.

Impressive Downtown

1    8/15/2012   11/15/2012
Review By: CodeMonkey
Pros: Excellent and somewhat deceptive balance of technical yet accessible baskets
Great tree coverage for both shade and technicality but not overly treed
Nice distancces between holes and elevation changes for some decent excercise.
Second back nine basket is on a stump that can is deceptively challenging, cost me some strokes.
Cons: A couple baskets are uphill from a major road causing the occasional roller to roll into or across a dangerously busy street(s).
Some annoying overlap on the last baskets of the front 9. This can also cause some backing up.
Seemed to be a very busy course and I'm sure it's often that way but that's not always a con.
Back 9 can get a little confusing. The last baskets have quite a bit of overlap but throwing across some big gaps gets interesting, especially when navigating around the trees.
Throughout the course, many of the baskets are out of view and require scouting if unfamiliar - high flags/markers could help with this.
Other Thoughts: An impressive and variable course. It works as both casual and technical abilites in an enjoyable way. Some minor annoyances that make mistakes a little unforgiving but are easily overlooked on such a fun course. Front and back nine are organized in a way that lets you choose which one or what order you may want to play, more so than most other courses. All in all a great course near downtown SF that I highly recommend hitting up if you can. Great public transit access to and from the course as well.

If for some reason you don't feel this review was helpful, please PM me to let me know what you are looking for in these reviews so I can consider ways to improve my reviews going forward. Thanks!

Golden Gate Experience

1    10/7/2012   10/7/2012
Review By: DrewMillerRH
Pros: Beautiful park, giant trees, very well kept, more technical than D. Ton of work goes into this park and into this course. The "cart path" idea via landscape timbers is brilliant, along with the batting cage like backstops to protect tees to close to other fairways or pins.
Cons: The course requires a walkthrough before playing, the flow, undoubtedly a result of limited space within the park, is not intuitative or well marked. I don't consider the course a "see the shot throw the shot" kind of course, walk it to figure out the flow, find the pins, and make sure to get one or two practice throws in before playing for keeps.
Other Thoughts: Once you figure out the flow and pin locations, the course is a great course to play, some really well placed pins (once you find them) and logical lines, fair and challenging. Also, you can tell work goes into the course. I would rate it higher if the signage was clearer and less blind pins.

Gorgeous course in Golden Gate park

1    7/6/2012   9/17/2012
Review By: Mung
Pros: Really incredible trees, well maintained baskets, easy to determine where you are throwing too; neat mix of distances, obstacles and topographic relief.
Cons: Crowded course and lots of clueless civilians wandering thru the middle of fairways with no idea they are interrupting your game.
Other Thoughts: This is a great course in the middle of Golden Gate Park with incredible sights and location. Players tend to get stacked up, and you have to be very careful to wait until everyone is out of the way before you drive. there are a couple of holes where the next tee requires you to walk back along the previous fairway, creating potential for hazardous drives, so both drivers and walkers should beware.

After my round i went and had a fantastic burger at Balboa with some Lagunitas IPAs. Altogether a perfect day.

First round in cali

1    9/6/2012   9/6/2012
Review By: Captain Beefhooks
This review was updated on 9/8/2012
Pros: Nice transition from front to back nine. In and out each had their own individual feel.
Friendly groups all around.
Well-manicured landscape with wonderful patches of bright green grass.
Mid-fairway paths define approaches pretty well and lead directly from tee to green in many cases.
Plenty of trash and recycling cans, plus individual collectors.
Gorgeous trees. These are old trees, with more character than most people. I am used to New England courses, where you get past the trunk only to hit some spindly little pinky of a branchlet. If you hit these guys, they don't care; it just makes them stronger.
Above average signage with active pin positions posted on very clever rotating dials. The one exception to this was hole 17. Ask the group ahead of you to let you know how to get to it when you're waiting to tee off at 16.
Decent mix of terrain change (elevation, wooded vs. open, straight vs. hyzer).
Location is good; we travelled in from the Fillmore area and a cab ride was about $11 before tip. Bus options seem pretty good, too.
Decent balance of risk and reward here. There are few holes with 'peaked' greens where roll-offs can happen on risky approaches. For the most part, you're not going to be penalized for an errant putt.
Cons: On 5/6/7 and a good chunk of the back 9, there is a decent bit of fairway overlap.
Slightly righty-friendly (a pro for me).
Hole 4 can get a bit muddy.
Hole length is a little homogenous. A 450 foot dogleg or something would have been nice.
I am firmly convinced that the current 'green' for hole 8 was planned by a sadist.
The erosion zone was a little precarious, but I really needed to get my comet.
Other Thoughts: Played a round with two friends on 9/1, then returned 9/3 for another round and a half. Very much enjoyed this course as my first west coast DG experience. The groups in front of us and behind us were almost universally friendly, and the biggest complaint I have was the group of 5 that threw a couple extra drives, let us (2) play through, and then cut ahead 3 holes.

Overall, I really liked the feel and the climate of the course. Cool enough to the point where the humidity wasn't an issue. Wind only came into play very briefly. As an east coast player familiar with courses with high tree and branch densities, this course mellowed me out a bit. Playing it multiple times really helped out and I suppose I'm a bit frustrated that I didn't score a few strokes better.

Long story short: if you're in the bay area, this course is a must for its accessibility, friendly environs and regulars, although anyone used to courses with either a huge distance element or absurdly overwooded new england-style courses might find themselves abound with quite a few birdie ops. Is there anything wrong with that? My friends on the west coast would certainly say no.

A slice of Heaven in Metropolis

1    0/0/0000   8/14/2012
Review By: Stan McDaniel
Pros: This was my first course played on a week swing through Cali. What a gorgeous piece of property. I saw the largest Eucalyptus trees I have ever seen. Huge pines too and even a few Redwoods. I thoroughly enjoy playing this course. I had the good fortune of having Patrick Brown as a guide. I was suprised that they have been allowed to use as much property as they currently occupy. There is plenty of elevation to keep you on your toes. The fun factor is way above my 3.5 rating.
Cons: Safety is why I didn't rate the course a 4. The biggest con for me was the proximity of some holes to each other. Errant shots have ample opportunity to get into other farways, tees or greens in a number of places, and they do! I suppose the designer was trying to get as much as they could out of the land they were allowed to use. I may have had some difficulty getting around the course if I didn't have a guide. Although, with so many people playing the course, and it was packed, I probably could have followed the group in front and been okay.
Other Thoughts: Patrick Brown and hs crew have done a great job of landscaping this course. It is a work in progress, but it is amazing to see the terracing and backfilling and the grass growing where they have planted seed. I cannot imagine trying to make all this happen with all the foot traffic they see there. The course is very fun and in a majestic stand of woods. Kudos to the Golden Gate Gang who take care of this course.

5+    7/23/2012   7/26/2012
Review By: lrghmn
Pros: -It's in Golden Gate Park
-There are a variety of tree species
-It's really well maintained.
-There is always a scene there: (tacos, disc merchants, recyclers, underground beer dudes, Edibles, interesting golf groups).
-The course has lots of fun holes.
Cons: Parking can be a problem on the weekends. It's usually pretty crowded. And it's not the most family friendly course.
Other Thoughts: It's totally San Francisco.

Great Round!

1    6/30/2012   7/5/2012
Review By: Nathan04W
Pros: -Big Concrete Tees
-Great Signage
-Great Elevation Use
-Challenging Lines
-Great Locals
-YOU CAN BUY FOOD AT HOLE 1!!!!
Cons: -Had To Wait At Some Tees(Friendly People to Talk to While Waiting)
-Random People Just Standing In The Fairways Sometimes(This Is San Fransisco's Backyard So Understandable)
Other Thoughts: My brother and I were on vacation and decided we HAD to play this course and IT WAS WORTH IT! Coming from Ohio I've never played with this kind of elevation and it was a challenge! This course has holes you won't see anywhere else. The Ravine hole was just awesome!!!!! We even jumped in a group with some AWESOME locals who were extremely welcoming and friendly! I would go out of my way to play this course anytime I come back to California! All in all this was a memorable course to play and coming from the east coast I got some bragging rights for back home!

1    10/13/2011   5/26/2012
Review By: Speedly
Pros: - A variety of holes, with varying difficulty and skills required.
- Not just a fire-at-the-pin course. Definitely a course that makes you think about your shots before you throw them.
- Very nice setting.
Cons: - The drinking fountains, according to the locals, are not safe to drink from here.
- Course is on the longer side, not particularly suited for beginner play.
- Lots of places for discs to run off to and evaporate into thin air.
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed my time here playing with a friend from Nebraska. It reminded me of my home course, Shady Oaks Orangevale, but with more elevation change and a bit harder.

I wasn't a big fan of the ravine hole, but I can see its appeal and challenge at the same time.

All in all, it was fun, but man, was I tired at the end of the day!

Fantastic Improvements

5+    5/2/2012   5/6/2012
Review By: staffordaddict
Pros: they have done a ton of work to tidy the place up, and it really shows. if the grass they've planted holds, it will be sweeeeet. lots of tight and hard holes, a few nice easy holes, good variety.
Cons: it gets crowded and it's so crowded, that people don't let you play through.
Other Thoughts: when the course was first built, I liked it. over the past couple years, it got kind of nasty - dirty, garbage, ugly weeds, and some spots where the homeless spent the night. all that nasty seems to be gone and as of 5/2/2012, the course really looks fantastic. on facebook someone described it as looking like a japanese garden. i think that's a good description of some of the holes with the new green grass and cool trees.