San Francisco, CA
Golden Gate Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: Buzzzsaw Hole #15 (Taken 4/2011)
Hole #15 Basket. (photo by Sam Dosick)

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 11
Thumber of Love

1    10/17/2016   11/24/2016
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Iconic Golden Gate Park is full of beauty and fun recreational activities. The disc golf course was the reason for my visit, and it didn't disappoint. 18 holes that have a great mix of fun and technical shots. There are usually plenty of trees making things interesting on the fairways, and moderate elevation changes on a few of them. A couple of the baskets are lifted off the ground a bit on tree stumps or a landscaped riser. The tees and boxes are in decent condition, and the grounds were litter free and surprisingly mud free, despite significant rainfall that weekend. Signs at each tee nicely illustrate what is in store for you. There are multiple pin positions in play, and a few are not visible or hard to spot from the box. Gentle rises and falls without a lot of elevation change on a lot of the front nine, and larger drops off the tee give some nice downhill drives on the back. Only one par 4 on the card, so distance is not extreme.
Cons: A lot of people were on the course, understandably, which can result in waiting for other parties moving at a slower pace. There are a few places where holes are very close together, and care must be taken to avoid people on or in between other holes. The layout is a little confusing in spots, and if you're not familiar with the park I would recommend printing a map to avoid wandering aimlessly. I forgot mine, and paid with time spent searching and asking directions.
Other Thoughts: I had a great time in San Francisco, and the disc golf course was no exception. Thanks to Scooter for joining me for the front nine. His guidance was needed and appreciated. All of the players I talked to on the course were very friendly and helpful. I started out poorly, and was 4 over par after 5 holes, but once I warmed up got a couple of birdies and finished the day at 4 over (59). If you get the chance to play here, do not pass it up. It is not perfect, but the pros outweigh the cons for sure. I wish I was able to give more details, but memories from the visit are a little hazy for some reason. I'm sure other reviews here will more accurately describe why this is a wonderful place to be a disc golfer. I can't pick a favorite hole, but there are several really nice ones. Holes 3, 11, 15, and 17 stood out to me. I hope to return for more disc golfing here, and to explore the city a bit further. What a fantastic town!

A Joy to Play

1    10/10/2016   11/22/2016
Review By: wellsbranch250
Pros: (3.738 Rating) A beautiful course in the middle of San Francisco's Golden Gate Park.
- UNIQUENESS - The thing I found best about this course was the course layout and the uniqueness of the holes themselves. Although there was a bit of repetitiveness to weaving in and out and threw the trees, the direction to angle my shot and shot style seemed different on every consecutive hole. From pocket left to pocket right to sweeping angle. Slight ups and downs, and a bunch of blind baskets to name a few. Most players will really have to visualize every shot they take. Advanced players will definitely feel challenged by this course. Unfortunately no water elements in play to force a line.
- NATURAL BEAUTY - The beauty was the second biggest thing I took away. Most courses I've played it's just an afterthought... not here. The park as a whole is just absolutely amazing. I've never played a course with such stoic trees. Perhaps it's a California thing.
- CHARACTER - The course has a lot of the character items that you'd see at an older established course. There's two picnic tables at the junction of holes 1, 9, 10 and 18, - the ideal setup in my opinion. There's seating at every hole, and all the tee areas are shaded well. There's a course map and community board at tee #1 as well as a practice basket. There's probably about 50 total pin placements and well designed tee signs with a pin placement location wheel.
- DIFFICULTY - The more challenging of the two courses I hit on my California trip. I think as a whole, it will definitely challenge the game for everyone but pros. You'll have to tactically attack each hole differently and be willing to settle or scramble for par when things don't go your way.
- SKILL LEVEL FRIENDLY - Although not necessarily a beginners course or a pro level course, the course somehow manages to provide a prefect middle ground. the odds of losing a disc is low, great for beginners. The fairways are tight enough to provide a challenge to upper advanced players and lower tier pros.
- SIGNATURE HOLE - Without a doubt hole number 11, I won't spoil it.
Cons: Really all the cons below (except the first one) I'm nit picking a bit.
- TIME WAITING - This course appears to get heavy use. I had read a bunch of previous reviews regarding waiting being an issue. So I took the tip and played on a Monday morning. The course still had several groups already playing. In addition, I ended up waiting several times for walkers in park "just staring down at their phone". I can't imagine what kind of delays would be expected on Saturday and Sundays.
- NO BOMB IT HOLES - If you're the type that likes to bomb it 500 foot down the fairway, this isn't your course. Most holes require a controlled low trajectory technical shot that bends at the end.
- TEE BOXES - During my visit there was damp silt/sand on many of the tee boxes which caused me to slip a few times. It would be nice to have brooms at a few holes where the issue is more pronounced.
- SPACING - Slightly below average. a couple of hole combinations get awfully close together. Holes 6/7/8, 15/16 and 17/18 specifically. Be sure your aware of other groups teeing off on these holes. Thankfully 8 and 18 tees are protected by nets.
- ELEVATION - A surprising lack of Elevation on this course. It's by no means flat as a pancake, but it probably varies by no more than 40' on the entire course. I was expecting a lot more. There are some holes that probably slide down 30 feet or so. I'll also add that the elevation that is there is generally worked into the layout of many of the holes.
- ACEABILITY - Very few, if any gimme holes. Aceable holes are few and far between for everyone but pros.
Other Thoughts: One of the top 10 courses I've played to date (68 as of this review) Highly recommended to everyone visiting the Bay area. Just be prepared for a long round if playing on prime times.

Nice

1    7/26/2016   7/27/2016
Review By: Mr72datsun
This review was updated on 7/28/2016
Pros: Imagine going to pebble beach ball golf course and no one is there. No one to take your money. No one else playing the course. That is how it felt to me this morning. Golden gate park is great in general and the disc course is really a nice bonus. Played the 18 hole course twice. 3 over and even par. Where was everyone? No problem with crowd on Tuesday morning. We completed the first 18 prior to the next people showing up. The people we saw on the 2nd round were all nice and moving along nicely.
Super easy to navigate.
Nice amount of elevation change.
Good for beginners. My wife played all but one hole.
Challenging course for me.
Nicely maintained by locals. Really quite impressive.
Not too many homeless. We saw about 5, but they were all fine.
Perfect weather.
Cons: The fog horns. Come on guys can't you do something about that?
Other Thoughts: I wanna play again tomorrow.

There are a number of holes which are labeled as par 4. Some under 400 feet which seems odd to me.

Welcome to San Francisco

1    1/11/2016   2/1/2016
Review By: todd9500
Pros: First Impressions: What an impressive park system this disc golf course is located in. It was early Monday morning and I had the course to myself so read other reviews to learn about conditions when the course is crowded.

Amenities: There was a portable toilet near hole #1 provided by the Golden Gate DG Club.

Course design/difficulty/obstacles/out-of-bounds: This is a wonderful technical course that takes advantage of the massive trees and some elevation changes. There are some natural hazards to avoid on some holes. There was a good mixture of distances to makes things interesting.

Local DG involvement/navigability/ signage/maps: It's easy to tell that this course has received much TLC in many areas - paths, benches, protective nets, mailbox for maps & scorecards, etc. The course was easy enough to follow with a DGCR map. The signage was good. The San Francisco Disc Golf Club has a website, http://www.sfdiscgolf.org / and a Facebook page.

Tee pads/benches/shelters/picnic tables: Cement tee-pads, benches and trash bins on every hole. There are multiple basket locations.

I highly recommend this course.
Cons: I hear the course gets extremely crowded on weekends and can be a bit dangerous with errant shots.
Other Thoughts: Remember the Disc Golfer's Code:

1) Play Smart - Never throw into a blind area or when players, spectators, pedestrians, or other facility users are within range. Use a spotter.

2) Respect the Course - Observe all posted rules. No littering, graffiti, or abuse of equipment or flora.

3) Represent the Sport - Be positive and responsible. Teach others.

1    10/12/2015   10/12/2015
Review By: bobmcnelly
Pros: - easy access right in SF
- great tee signs that give you all the info that you could need
- great concrete tee pads
- gods variety of distances with shorter 200 foot shots to around 500 feet
- tons of large mature trees to offer quite the challenge
- a truly beautiful place to play disc golf
Cons: - navigation of the course can be a little difficult
- the course can get very crowded
- the layout is very "tight" and with lots of pedestrians wondering the course I could see some injuries happening
- baskets are getting a little beat and can be difficult to see from some of the tee pads
Other Thoughts: Great course, but I was lucky to play with a local, otherwise I feel I would have been wondering the course quite a bit.

5+    9/3/2015   9/21/2015
Review By: Brain
Pros: - great course layout
- well maintained
- difficult challenges on every hole.
Cons: - can take a long time to play.
- if hole 1 is crowded, people can easily jump to hole 10 and really slow down the pace of play.

Nice Park

1    9/18/2015   9/21/2015
Review By: Tcollins88
Pros: Beautiful park to play in. Shady trees and green grass.
Trees also make this a technical course.
Very nice paths.
Cons: Could use better signage. The hole description signs are small so not very detailed. Also, no signs showing where the next hole is, so if you're new to the course, you may have to search a bit. I couldn't even find the tee for hole 14.
Other Thoughts: This isn't local for me, but will be on my to do again list whenever I'm in town.

Great way to spend a morning, afternoon or evening

1    8/11/2015   8/12/2015
Review By: sumo21
This review was updated on 8/28/2015
Pros: 1) Basically two 9-hole courses, so you can either the front or back 9 or all 18.

2) Pathway made of logs that mark the fairway of each hole depending on proximity to other holes.

3) Great mix of long, medium, short holes. Variety of upshot, downshot drives/opportunities.

4) Multiple positions on all holes.

5) Signs on all holes and show location of the next hole.

6) Log benches and garbage cans/buckets at every hole.

7) Trees provide nice hallways, protection from the elements and add the technical element to the course, which is suited for all levels of players.

8) Nice, long and wide concrete teepads on every hole.

9) Fence segments around teepad areas provide some protection from errant throws of players that are playing holes running parallel to the hole that you are currently on.

10) Steps/stairs located on some holes where it may be too steep to walk/hike/climb.

11) I believe that local transit passes on Fulton Street and Crossover Drive, so driving is not the only viable mode of travel to play here.
Cons: 1) Don't recall drinking fountains on the course, not a real deal breaker.

2) Some baskets to holes are located within the same vicinity of other holes, so have the course map handy.

3) This is a very popular course, but even more so a popular park, so waiting times can be longer than what you normally expect.

4) Bathroom located across the street near basket of Hole #18. Go before your round or hold it in until the end.
Other Thoughts: I drove 2.5 hours to play this course and was greeted with cloudy weather and minute sprinkling but was so refreshing after enduring valley heat, where I live. The course map does not tell all about the course, as there is a lot of walking/hiking up and down, which starts at hole 1 but gets really going on hole 11 to the finish, so bring a good pair of hiking shoes, walking stick, water and a good healthy stamina with you or you may have a bad experience. If this is your first time playing, as this was for me, bring the course map just in case you don't get lucky and bump into local regulars that are playing, like I was fortunate enough to have happen to me. Some hole locations are close enough to JFK Drive, so watch your throws. Also be careful when you finish 11 and walk towards 12 or the left side of the 14th teepad. They are located by slopes of a hill that is known for erosion, so watch your steps.

If the basket of hole 14 is on A, your next shot, putt or short approach, better be money or like my shot, it will roll down the side of the hill. Lucky for me, it was only about 15 feet. It could have ended up in the meadow, which would have been really bad for your score. The teepad for hole 13 is located pretty close to Crossover Drive. Try to keep your drive on hole 12 off the hillside because you won't get good footing, which means shorter and possibly inaccurate throws. Make sure your sidearm, flick and/or forehand is working because there are a lot of pin positions that require that type of shot. There are a few long holes 375+ but it's basket location that makes this course challenging for all. I would rather wait to play here and potentially wait for groups ahead of me to play out a hole or pedestrians to cross paths, than play at some courses which I could finish in no time at all. Difference is that my friend and I had a blast playing here and he just began playing about a month ago.

1    7/20/2015   7/20/2015
Review By: mattdabbs
Pros: This is the 100th review for this amazing course! I feel lucky to have played the course much less land on the 100th review. The first thing to say about this course is that this course is in an amazing park. There is so much to do around this course that you will definitely want to take a look around before or after your round.

The course itself plays from the main road (JFK) out toward the city of San Francisco along Fulton St. Unless you have a super errant shot, neither street should come into play. We did see one errant shot that left a guy walking on Fulton looking up in the sky to see where the discs were coming from. The look on his face was priceless.

This course plays across some rolling hills and makes excellent use of the elevation playing up, down and across the elevation. Minimal traffic by other park users is a definite plus. May want to wear something that will allow you to do some hiking. Mando use was also done sparingly and only at times when another tee was close to a fairway (which happens in a couple of places). The park was kind enough to provide some netting around a few of the tees to protect you from throws from nearby tees. That was a huge plus and would be a danger without it.

The park gives you plenty of birdie looks, although even on the shorter holes you need accuracy and a bit of luck with the trees. The course flow was excellent as was the trail from hole to hole made navigation incredibly simple. The tee signs were helpful as were the other DG'ers in the park.

The course is in a high traffic area and felt very, very safe with lots of pedestrians all over the place. Unlike many parks with pedestrians, though, they didn't really come into play at all on the course. The only people you have to wait on are other disc golfers (and there are lots of them on this course).

Last, it was nice that the course doubled back by the street/parking at hole 10 and 18. Always nice when that happens.
Cons: The only real issue I had with the park was that it was crowded...very, very crowded. I can understand that given where this park is but it could get crazy. Expect for your round to potentially take a long time with lots of waiting and backup on various holes. At one point we had three other groups waiting behind us on one pad as we waited for the people in front of us to clear the hole and the people playing the neighboring hole to clear our fairway. The locals said to play earlier in the day if you want less traffic and on weekdays...that weekends are the busiest.

At some point they may want to upgrade the baskets to Mach X but that is just my preference after play DeLaveaga earlier in the day with the Mach X's that didn't spit out a thing. I had quite a few spit outs on these but that was probably mostly my own fault.

Other than that, amazing course!
Other Thoughts: This is a must play course in the area. Super fun, easy to navigate, friendly people and scenic. I can't wait to play it again whenever I have a chance.

A nice course in a beautiful park

1    6/29/2015   7/9/2015
Review By: Chromezero
Pros: - The course requires a variety of tee shots, making the course interesting to play. I had a lot of fun here.
- The tee pads are in good shape and had plenty of space for a typical run-up.
- Each tee pad has a sign with basic information about hole placement, helping to locate the baskets.
- The course has a lot of elevation changes but nothing too extreme. I was able to walk the whole course without much effort.
- I think the lined "paths" were a nice touch, although it seems they're rarely used.
Cons: - Finding the next tee pad can be tough without a map or someone to show you the way.
- The course feels a little cramped at times but I realize this is due to limited space.
- Several of the holes are blind shots, which can be frustrating if you're not familiar with the course.
Other Thoughts: This course is located in the Golden Gate Park, which is an amazing park with lots to see and do. I met several of the regulars and all of them were friendly and helpful. As others have mentioned, this course is located in a busy public park and you will definitely cross paths with non-golfers here. The course was a bit muddy when I played, due to the watering effort going on. The course had more dirt than grass, which is a little sad considering how nice the rest of the park is. I'm sure this is due to the amount of traffic this area gets, so I can't really fault the course maintainers.

I think the SFDGC and others have done a great job with the course and they seem to take a lot of pride in maintaining it. If you're in the San Francisco area, I definitely recommend checking this one out.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 11