San Francisco, CA
Golden Gate Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: Buzzzsaw Hole #15 (Taken 4/2011)
Hole #15 Basket. (photo by Sam Dosick)

Glad I stopped!

1    2/6/2013   2/6/2013
Review By: pfpro
Pros: - felt like I was on a real "golf" course. Some of the dirt areas were raked. All the landscaping, disc golf specific paths (felt like cart paths), etc are awesome. There are benches, tree stumps to sit on at all holes, garbage collection at most.
- pretty good mix of shots, decent elevation use,most holes have some sort of challenging aspect to them (in the layout I played).
- great signs, shows which pin position,direction to next tee, distance.
Cons: - course was a little cramped - I understand this is an urban setting, so relatively speaking, it's a great green space, but could see it being tight. Also, some of the holes cut back to the next teepad, or have cross fairways to get to the next tee. It doesnt always flow in a natural manner. To someone who plays this course all the time, I'm sure it's not noticeable. They have made the most of what they have, I don't have suggestions to improve it.
- there are a few holes where walking paths come into play (as in, you better watch for people, or you might injure someone).
- crowded - played late morning on a weekday, and there were at least 9 groups on the course
- street navigation to course is tricky. If you miss your turn, you can't make left turns on any of the other streets you want to (not a local, please don't hate!)
- to nit pick a little, relatively short course (see other thoughts section)
Other Thoughts: I flew into SFO for business trip that takes me into Sonoma county. Based on reviews, I made this the course to hit, and am glad I did. I brought a coworker who was new to DG, and had a reduced bag. Played a terrible round, but had a good time. This park is great. The few locals I ran across seemed pretty cool. Being from NC, I don't quite agree with the heavily wooded description - but there were a lot of trees to shape your lines around. Don't know if it was the pin layout (they seemed to be mostly Bs) thst was short, I don't think there were any holes over '400 ft (maybe11, don't think it was though). For me to give a 4, IMO, there should be some longer holes. If I lived local, it would be a great home course. If you're passing through, I would whole-heatedly recommend it.

5+    10/25/2011   1/5/2013
Review By: DannyThunders
Pros: -Huge shots
-Plenty of variety for both handed people here
-Does not feel like a city course , feels like a woods course
-AMAZING locals, had a great time meeting people and playing with them here
-Centrally located in an awesome city
-Very fun shots played in the pines , watch your disc
-Tournament grade course , only one short hole (#2)
Cons: -Hole #10 is kind of boring
-Easy to loose a disc
-Random people walking or jogging through course
Other Thoughts: Awesome course, if you're in SF you MUST PLAY THIS COURSE. Great variety of shots for LHBH / RHBH. Very challenging big shots, hole 12 is a massive left dogleg. Skate shop that sells discs not far away on Geary (Purple elephant) . The locals are great, everytime i played someone would join me and give me great company , will definitely try to play this course again.

5+    11/11/2012   11/16/2012
Review By: urwatuh8
Pros: The locals have done a phenomenal job improving and maintaining this course. There's plenty of great ammenities: copious benches and trash cans. The tee signs make everything about the hole clear: the layout, distance, and current and other pins positions. There are at least three pin positions for each hole. The course has been impresively landscaped with walking paths, ledge walls, elevated baskets, and the like. There's also big fence walls to protect many of the tees -- a great idea given the close proximity of some holes, and one I hadn't see elsewhere.

This course is also right in San Francisco, very accessible to a lot of people.
Cons: The course is really crammed in. Many of the holes play right next to each other. There are mandos, OBs, guard fences, etc. to help. But it is both something of a safety concern, and limits the hole design. There isn't enough room to have multiple routes or big epic holes. It also means that many holes feel similar -- either very straight, or a generic dogleg.

The course is also quite crowded. Even on a weekday morning there are plenty of players out. And given the cramped nature of the course, you always need to be alert for errant throws.
Other Thoughts: This course feels like the opposite of many other good California courses, which have awe inspiring scenery but mediocre maintenance. Golden gate park is one of the best maintained courses I've seen anywhere, but fails to inspire awe in the way great courses do.

Because the course is high traffic, there is a lot of work done to reduce erosion. Stay on the walking paths when possible.

Impressive Downtown

1    8/15/2012   11/15/2012
Review By: CodeMonkey
Pros: Excellent and somewhat deceptive balance of technical yet accessible baskets
Great tree coverage for both shade and technicality but not overly treed
Nice distancces between holes and elevation changes for some decent excercise.
Second back nine basket is on a stump that can is deceptively challenging, cost me some strokes.
Cons: A couple baskets are uphill from a major road causing the occasional roller to roll into or across a dangerously busy street(s).
Some annoying overlap on the last baskets of the front 9. This can also cause some backing up.
Seemed to be a very busy course and I'm sure it's often that way but that's not always a con.
Back 9 can get a little confusing. The last baskets have quite a bit of overlap but throwing across some big gaps gets interesting, especially when navigating around the trees.
Throughout the course, many of the baskets are out of view and require scouting if unfamiliar - high flags/markers could help with this.
Other Thoughts: An impressive and variable course. It works as both casual and technical abilites in an enjoyable way. Some minor annoyances that make mistakes a little unforgiving but are easily overlooked on such a fun course. Front and back nine are organized in a way that lets you choose which one or what order you may want to play, more so than most other courses. All in all a great course near downtown SF that I highly recommend hitting up if you can. Great public transit access to and from the course as well.

If for some reason you don't feel this review was helpful, please PM me to let me know what you are looking for in these reviews so I can consider ways to improve my reviews going forward. Thanks!

Golden Gate Experience

1    10/7/2012   10/7/2012
Review By: DrewMillerRH
Pros: Beautiful park, giant trees, very well kept, more technical than D. Ton of work goes into this park and into this course. The "cart path" idea via landscape timbers is brilliant, along with the batting cage like backstops to protect tees to close to other fairways or pins.
Cons: The course requires a walkthrough before playing, the flow, undoubtedly a result of limited space within the park, is not intuitative or well marked. I don't consider the course a "see the shot throw the shot" kind of course, walk it to figure out the flow, find the pins, and make sure to get one or two practice throws in before playing for keeps.
Other Thoughts: Once you figure out the flow and pin locations, the course is a great course to play, some really well placed pins (once you find them) and logical lines, fair and challenging. Also, you can tell work goes into the course. I would rate it higher if the signage was clearer and less blind pins.

Gorgeous course in Golden Gate park

1    7/6/2012   9/17/2012
Review By: Mung
Pros: Really incredible trees, well maintained baskets, easy to determine where you are throwing too; neat mix of distances, obstacles and topographic relief.
Cons: Crowded course and lots of clueless civilians wandering thru the middle of fairways with no idea they are interrupting your game.
Other Thoughts: This is a great course in the middle of Golden Gate Park with incredible sights and location. Players tend to get stacked up, and you have to be very careful to wait until everyone is out of the way before you drive. there are a couple of holes where the next tee requires you to walk back along the previous fairway, creating potential for hazardous drives, so both drivers and walkers should beware.

After my round i went and had a fantastic burger at Balboa with some Lagunitas IPAs. Altogether a perfect day.

First round in cali

1    9/6/2012   9/6/2012
Review By: Captain Beefhooks
This review was updated on 9/8/2012
Pros: Nice transition from front to back nine. In and out each had their own individual feel.
Friendly groups all around.
Well-manicured landscape with wonderful patches of bright green grass.
Mid-fairway paths define approaches pretty well and lead directly from tee to green in many cases.
Plenty of trash and recycling cans, plus individual collectors.
Gorgeous trees. These are old trees, with more character than most people. I am used to New England courses, where you get past the trunk only to hit some spindly little pinky of a branchlet. If you hit these guys, they don't care; it just makes them stronger.
Above average signage with active pin positions posted on very clever rotating dials. The one exception to this was hole 17. Ask the group ahead of you to let you know how to get to it when you're waiting to tee off at 16.
Decent mix of terrain change (elevation, wooded vs. open, straight vs. hyzer).
Location is good; we travelled in from the Fillmore area and a cab ride was about $11 before tip. Bus options seem pretty good, too.
Decent balance of risk and reward here. There are few holes with 'peaked' greens where roll-offs can happen on risky approaches. For the most part, you're not going to be penalized for an errant putt.
Cons: On 5/6/7 and a good chunk of the back 9, there is a decent bit of fairway overlap.
Slightly righty-friendly (a pro for me).
Hole 4 can get a bit muddy.
Hole length is a little homogenous. A 450 foot dogleg or something would have been nice.
I am firmly convinced that the current 'green' for hole 8 was planned by a sadist.
The erosion zone was a little precarious, but I really needed to get my comet.
Other Thoughts: Played a round with two friends on 9/1, then returned 9/3 for another round and a half. Very much enjoyed this course as my first west coast DG experience. The groups in front of us and behind us were almost universally friendly, and the biggest complaint I have was the group of 5 that threw a couple extra drives, let us (2) play through, and then cut ahead 3 holes.

Overall, I really liked the feel and the climate of the course. Cool enough to the point where the humidity wasn't an issue. Wind only came into play very briefly. As an east coast player familiar with courses with high tree and branch densities, this course mellowed me out a bit. Playing it multiple times really helped out and I suppose I'm a bit frustrated that I didn't score a few strokes better.

Long story short: if you're in the bay area, this course is a must for its accessibility, friendly environs and regulars, although anyone used to courses with either a huge distance element or absurdly overwooded new england-style courses might find themselves abound with quite a few birdie ops. Is there anything wrong with that? My friends on the west coast would certainly say no.

A slice of Heaven in Metropolis

1    0/0/0000   8/14/2012
Review By: Stan McDaniel
Pros: This was my first course played on a week swing through Cali. What a gorgeous piece of property. I saw the largest Eucalyptus trees I have ever seen. Huge pines too and even a few Redwoods. I thoroughly enjoy playing this course. I had the good fortune of having Patrick Brown as a guide. I was suprised that they have been allowed to use as much property as they currently occupy. There is plenty of elevation to keep you on your toes. The fun factor is way above my 3.5 rating.
Cons: Safety is why I didn't rate the course a 4. The biggest con for me was the proximity of some holes to each other. Errant shots have ample opportunity to get into other farways, tees or greens in a number of places, and they do! I suppose the designer was trying to get as much as they could out of the land they were allowed to use. I may have had some difficulty getting around the course if I didn't have a guide. Although, with so many people playing the course, and it was packed, I probably could have followed the group in front and been okay.
Other Thoughts: Patrick Brown and hs crew have done a great job of landscaping this course. It is a work in progress, but it is amazing to see the terracing and backfilling and the grass growing where they have planted seed. I cannot imagine trying to make all this happen with all the foot traffic they see there. The course is very fun and in a majestic stand of woods. Kudos to the Golden Gate Gang who take care of this course.

5+    7/23/2012   7/26/2012
Review By: lrghmn
Pros: -It's in Golden Gate Park
-There are a variety of tree species
-It's really well maintained.
-There is always a scene there: (tacos, disc merchants, recyclers, underground beer dudes, Edibles, interesting golf groups).
-The course has lots of fun holes.
Cons: Parking can be a problem on the weekends. It's usually pretty crowded. And it's not the most family friendly course.
Other Thoughts: It's totally San Francisco.

Great Round!

1    6/30/2012   7/5/2012
Review By: Nathan04W
Pros: -Big Concrete Tees
-Great Signage
-Great Elevation Use
-Challenging Lines
-Great Locals
-YOU CAN BUY FOOD AT HOLE 1!!!!
Cons: -Had To Wait At Some Tees(Friendly People to Talk to While Waiting)
-Random People Just Standing In The Fairways Sometimes(This Is San Fransisco's Backyard So Understandable)
Other Thoughts: My brother and I were on vacation and decided we HAD to play this course and IT WAS WORTH IT! Coming from Ohio I've never played with this kind of elevation and it was a challenge! This course has holes you won't see anywhere else. The Ravine hole was just awesome!!!!! We even jumped in a group with some AWESOME locals who were extremely welcoming and friendly! I would go out of my way to play this course anytime I come back to California! All in all this was a memorable course to play and coming from the east coast I got some bragging rights for back home!