San Francisco, CA
Golden Gate Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: Mavurick Hole #11 (Taken 4/2014)

Home Course, Favorite Course

5+    8/25/2011   8/25/2011
Review By: Gigantomachy
Pros: -You're in the woods in the middle of a huge city
-Extremely well kept
-Great community
-Constant rotation of pin placements
-Still very challenging after years of playing there
Cons: -Can get really busy on weekends/holidays
-The occasional inconsiderate supagroup

Golden gate park

1    5/10/2008   8/17/2011
Review By: giantsfan4life1
Pros: - 18 holes
- all tee signs were there
- beautiful park to play in
- cement tee boxes
- lots of ob
- elevation changes
- cool walking paths
Cons: - tons of dog walkers
- Lots of people play this course heavy traffic
- wait to tee off a lot

Other Thoughts: Great course to play.. My friends and I loved the course and the general beauty of this park. id recomend playing this course to anyone. Lots of different shots can be used here. Just alot of waiting for bigger groups or backed up golfers or dog walkers. but if you avoid that its an awesome course.

I left my heart in San Francisco's only DG course

1    7/25/2011   8/7/2011
Review By: jblough
Pros: - Good use of select paths as OB and mandos to avoid hitting passengers. It's also an added bonus because it adds some challenge and intrigue to the course.
- Nice landscape--beautiful setting. Now this true recreation! Like a good city park, you forget you're in the city for the most of the holes.
- Front 9 leads straight to hole #1 and kiosk, which is nice if you're in a hurry and can't play 18. The back nine, IMO, is better than the front nine due to longer holes, greater elevation changes, and a few more "tunnel" shots between the trees.
- Intuitive course flow. Didn't even need my map, primarily because of the layout, but also because the paths are so defined.
- Great care of course, tees, signs, baskets, fairways, etc. It's obvious that there's a heck of a DG community in the city.
- A lot of pins are guarded by these cool gnarled cypress trees, which requires paramount accuracy on approaches/putts, and even drives.
- Great elevation changes on some holes.
- Looks like the 3 pin locations are changed regularly (note: love the little dials on the signs!)
- This is definitely one of those "mostly wooded" courses, with very very few playing out in the open. So, if you like wooded courses (as do I), this one's for you! Nice balance of doglegs in both directions satisfies right handers and south paws.
Cons: - Busy! I started played here sometime between 7:30 and 8am, and there were already at least 4 groups of people playing ahead of me.
- Potential to hit parkgoers despite the mandos, OB lines, and other precautions. Think about every throw!
- No incredibly stunning "WOW!" holes, but a solid set of 18 nonetheless.
- Lack of water hazards. I'd be nice if there was a little pond or drainage stream somewhere
- Some fairway overlap and crossing. Holes #5-6 and #15-16 come in to mind. An errant throw could easily hit someone on the other tee, not to mention people going between the fairways.
- Despite having excellent wooded holes, it'd be nice to see a hole or two that's wide in the open where you can really let it rip. With that being said, the geographical makeup of the park makes this hard to do.
Other Thoughts: If San Francisco only has one DG course, I'm glad it's this one because it's solid no matter where it'd be located. Nice design, lots of tree hazards, elevation, and variety of shots requires a nice bag to par. What makes the course particularly effective is its use of safety precautions (mandos, OB, etc.) so in the long run, we all win at this park.

I almost had a heartattack when I first arrived at the course and I saw "closed for tounament" signs everywhere. Apparently they had a tournament during the weekend and they didn't take it down by the time I played monday morning. Having traveled over 3,000 miles, it would have been a major disappointment to not play. Fortunately for me I got to experience this course and I urge others to do the same!

Memorable holes:
#4: Very very technical and wooded, as you habe to pick your gap in the trees and thread it through some really big hardwoods. Shot selection depends on the pin placement.

#11- Mando here requires you throw on the left side of a tree and clear a pretty steep ravine. Better have a disc that makes a nice S-curve, as you're going to need it!

AWESOME PERIOD!!!!!!!!

1    5/29/2011   5/31/2011
Review By: arcechris21
Pros: -Everything people, placement of tees to holes, area, and day.
Cons: -A little hard to find the disc, but who cares thats what makes a great course.
-I don't have this course here in Huntington beach.
Other Thoughts: I had a blast! I just wish i could have played here with my friends from home but, I still had a blast can't wait to make another trip up.

Beautiful Course.

5+    4/25/2011   4/26/2011
Review By: Lupus Yonderboy
Pros: As this is my home course, I am a bit biased... but I just love this course!

The teepads are top notch (good length, level concrete). The hole maps are very easy to read and have a convenient dial that tells you what pin position the basket is on. All the baskets are in good condition. Like other reviewers have mentioned, the pin positions can be VERY different and seriously change the feel of each hole. I really like this and look forward to each new configuration. I'd say about half the pins are changed every 1-2 weeks.

The front 9 and back 9 are very different from each other, which I think lends itself to the appeal of the course. The front is a bit tighter and more technical while the back opens up (though still wooded) and has more elevation change.

No poison oak! I cannot stress how much I love not having to worry about it at all on this course.
Cons: Like other reviewers have mentioned, the course is EXTREMELY crowded. Having learned to play here, it wasn't until I visited numerous other courses that I realized just how busy GGP can be. Weekday afternoons/evenings see steady numbers of players, while weekend days are absolutely packed.

While I do support anyone who wants to play and encourage beginners, there are many folks out at the park on weekends who really don't seem interested in learning the game at all -- just finding something to do while getting hammered drunk with a bunch of friends. This can really kill the flow...
Other Thoughts: The local club does a great job of maintaining the course and constantly trying to improve it. Considering the amount of people (both dgers and other park users) that come through the course, it is really pretty clean.

Some basket to next tee transitions can be a bit confusing to navigate if you haven't played it before... but since the course always has other players on it, there's always someone to ask.

Worthy of its reputation!

1    4/5/2011   4/6/2011
Review By: elton807
This review was updated on 10/1/2011
Pros: First 5 holes flow very nicely. Fun back nine. A very charming and woodsy course perfectly placed in the one and only Golden Gate Park. The weather was absolutely perfect in mid-60s during our round. Very friendly and courteous crowd. The course is as clean and manicured as you can possibly imagine. Those trees!
Cons: Holes 6-8 all run parallel to each other, so you need to traverse to the next tee box across incoming drives from previous holes. Those trees!
Other Thoughts: For a Tuesday early afternoon, it was pretty busy but bearable. First time I ever had to wait at a teebox, but never got too bad. I need to play this course at least a couple times a year.
=================
Uniqueness: A (old feeling for new course; ideal surroundings)
Difficulty: A- (not too long; tons of trees; nice elevation variation)
Fun factor: A (myriad of drives & shots)
Aesthetics: A+ (every hole is interesting & different; super clean)
----------------------
Overall: A

Overview

1    1/2/2011   3/7/2011
Review By: LethargicMind
Pros: Well kept, good variety of hole types, good elevation change, challenging but playable, good flow of people (only a couple of back up holes), family friendly
Cons: Somewhat hard to find the next hole. Find a local to play with.
Other Thoughts: This is a very scenic course. I took a bus 30 minutes each way, then walked 30 blocks to buy a couple of dics (because I didnt bring any with on my trip). It was worth it.Nice course!

Really Enjoyed the Course

1    1/29/2011   1/29/2011
Review By: Shuie
Pros: - Golden Gate Park is Amazing,i really enjoyed the beauty of this course.
-Nice Concrete Tee pads
- Awesome sign with a Dial on them to show what position the basket was in(A, B, Or C).
- Three pin position that changes the hole almost completely
- All holes had benches, there were some Garbage cans scattered around.
- Good variety of holes type
- Great use of Elevation
- Very Technical(All about shot selection and disc placement)
Cons: - Can be Crowded and you end up waiting around a bit before u throw but the course is beautiful so I didn't mind that much.
- Course Flow(holes 15 and 16 should be reversed as u walk back on the thrower at 15 while shooting at 16 and then u walk across the fairway of 15 to get to the next hole)(holes 7 and 8 kinda over lap as well as 17 and 18)
-gotta watch out for disc a bit more here.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed each hole of the course and would have ranked this course higher had it no ben for the few course flow issue. i personally didn't really think the course wasn't to tough, shot +1 and it was my first time there!! I am not trying to bash the course either as a matter of fact, i think everyone should play it the course is very beautiful and fun to play. i will be back for sure.

City by the Bay!

1    6/17/2010   9/21/2010
Review By: JR Stengele
Pros:
As it states in the course description, this is San Francisco's first disc golf course which happens to be located in Golden Gate Park. It is a tightly wooded 18-hole course, which was officially opened in March 2007. This course is a wonderful addition to what already is a world famous park. With so much culture and beauty, it will take at least a day to visit if not an entire weekend! With ample parking throughout the park, finding a spot near the course should not be an issue. Plus, it is free unless you park in the main parking garage about a half mile away.

Growing up in the bay area for over 20 years, I had yet to play this epic course due to moving to the Pacific Northwest in 2000. Because of this, Golden Gate Park has been on my wish list for quite sometime. From the first moment I pulled up to the last putt on 18, this course didn't disappoint me for a second. Designers Ross Hammond and Leonard Muise did a phenomenal job with the land they had to work with, capitalizing on elevation, pin and tee placements, and course difficulty. With three pin placements per hole, locals are given variation to keep things interesting. Tee pads are large cement slabs that are well maintained and provide plenty of grip on those cold and rainy days. Many of the pads are reinforced for stability and to prevent any kind of erosion. Colorful tee signs were created on wooden stumps, showing the multiple routes, pin positions, and major obstacles. The baskets are all Mach III's, are clearly labeled, and are well maintained.

What sets this course apart from so many other courses I have played is the countless hours that have gone in to installing and maintaining this course. Even though many other course have had tons of work done by loyal locals, there usually is still a lot of work to still be done. In three years since being installed, this course is spotless for the most part. Everything from the eradication of underbrush, logs along the walking trails guiding players from one hole to the next, the immaculate tee pads and fairways, to the protective nets on particular tee pads, every hole was well thought out and unique unto its own . Much of the course has players throwing down tight fairways, requiring not only distance but accuracy to obtain birdies. With the towering Eucalyptus trees and other native foliage, as well parts of the city in the distance, this course truly is breathtaking! The course seems to have a fair amount of hyzers and anhyzers, as well as plenty of holes dead straight, allowing for no one player to have an advantage over another. This course will make players well balanced, and challenged in ways most players may not be used to. Because of this, it is easily one of my favorite courses, and if I had it my way, it would be my home course. It may not be the best course I have played, but very challenging for even the best of players.
Cons:
Although I could not find much, I could see how on crowded days this course could become a bit dangerous. With such tight fairways next to one another, I could see the occasional deflection sailing across one fairway and right toward another. So just please be mindful of others when throwing.

Also, at times it was a bit confusing trying to figure out where exactly some of the pins were since some of the washers were on the correct position and others were not. Fortunately, even though my wife and I had to walk ahead to locate the pin position, there were not others behind us. I could see this becoming a big issue for first timers so if it is crowded, just make an educated guess and keep it moving. Make sure though that you print off a map to make navigating easier.
This is just another example of a stellar course in northern California. Like Stafford Lake, De LaVeaga, and Parque de la Raza, Golden Gate will keep you on your toes, and have you wishing you could have it as your home course. The locals do an amazing job with the upkeep, and the local club does a nice job hosting some great tournaments including the Safari Open. I feel very fortunate to of had the opportunity to play this course and hope that anyone nearby has the same chance. You will learn a lot about your game and truly feel blessed to of had the chance to play one of the better courses in the state of California!

Well Done!

1    8/26/2010   8/28/2010
Review By: PDXDisc
Pros: Extremely well kept and maintained. The group of volunteers have done a great job of setting up paths on the fairways, steps, safety nets, etc.
Very tight fairways in some places and cool distance shots in others. Very well laid out and organized.
The maps on the tee pads are some of the best I've seen. The indicators in the upper corner clearly show what basket is in play.
Great course in a great park. Worth the effort to get here and play if visiting the city!
Cons: A couple places where an errant shot could have some pretty dramatic traffic consequences. It is in the middle of a city after all.
I can see how this could get crowded on a nice weekend (I was playing early on a Thursday morning and only ran into 1 really cool local who gave me some good tips on campgrouds along the coast for the rest of my roadtrip).
Other Thoughts: This was one of my destination courses on a long road trip. It did not disappoint. There is lots of variety in the terrain and challenging holes. The course is really well maintained and pretty simple to navigate with good signs pointing to the next tee.

There are a few spots on the course where the fairways cross a path or get pretty close to a main street.