San Francisco, CA
Golden Gate Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: Mavurick Hole #16 (Taken 4/2014)

First Course IN Cali

1    6/13/2009   6/16/2009
Review By: DiscGolfinTheD
Pros: This course was my first one player in Cali. I loved it! There was a great mixture of holes left/right dog legs, great use of elevation, and multiple blind throws around obstacles. The front 9 is definately a little easier then the back; more straight on shots and a few elevated baskets. On the back was hidden baskets on almost all the holes along with one being right on the side of a straight drop down a hill. The multiple tee locations was a great amenity to this course. You get the feeling that everytime you play this course it will be different, I really enjoyed that fact.
Cons: A couple of the tee maps were worn off so you had to run up and look where the basket was. Holes 17 and 18 throw over each other and was probably the only instance where I had to yell "fore" on the whol course.
Other Thoughts: The course itself is pretty dry and most of the dirt is sand(so rollers might have some issues here). Other then that very clean, well maintained, friendly players, and the only course in San Fran. I would definately recommend this course for any skill level if you happen to be taking a trip to San Fran.

Great place to rip.

1    5/3/2009   5/3/2009
Review By: MulliganStew
This review was updated on 12/5/2010
Pros: This coarse is one of the finest, and cleanest I have played. Every tee pad is concrete with a medalion stating who sponsored it. The paths to the next tee are all very well marked except for one. The paths are lined with wood chips. The holes themselves are well designed with many different challenges. Many straight and anhyzer shots. The trees are huge and there is little scrub brush to if you do not land in the fairway it is no biggy except for one hole. I played twice once on a week day and once on a weekend. I did not find much of a wait at all, the players were all helpful and friendly.
Cons: The holes are a little short for todays discs.
Other Thoughts: The police do patrol on very quiet motocross dirt bikes.

5+    4/26/2009   4/29/2009
Review By: Billym
This review was updated on 9/6/2009
Pros: Amazing tee pads, three to four positions for every pin. Well marked and pretty easy to follow.
Great local scene.
Very technical with a ton of trees, plenty of OB and a few mandos. Nice elevation changes and wind.
C placements are quite difficult with a few long holes.
Cons: Very crowded on weekends and weekday afternoons. Be prepared to play slow and wait at some holes. A few holes are a bit on top of each other (6,7,8 and 17, 18) so watch behind you for drives.
Other Thoughts: There is a Sunday weekly at 8:30 am it can be crowded so get there early.
There is absolutely NO poison Oak (no Ivy on the west coast) period.
I love this course definitely a great one!
Remember that the paths on 3,4,5,14, 15,17,18 are OB. So is the meadow off 11, 15, 16.

Local's View

5+    4/27/2009   4/28/2009
Review By: peter booth
Pros: This course gives me the challenge I need. I love this course. Damn near perfect. I've played it over 500 times, and the way it's designed, it still can kick my butt. Like hole 8 in C position! And the narrow alley that is 4 (and also 5)! Tee off from 11 and tell me you don't love it too!
Also, a great active club here that changes the pins around often, and does all the course up keep. Very friendly and considerate people. Course in better shape than De Lavega in Santa Cruz (signage, construction of, beauty of), which is the gold standard around here. (even though they do have 27 holes to our 18)
Cons: Tobacco smoke, and a few overdo the alcohol thing, plus dropping or forgetting trash, like bottles.
I say pack it in, pack it out. Leave no trace!
Slammed with players weekdays and especially weekends.
We really do need a second course, here in SF.
Some are working on a plan for McLaren Park, across town near the Cow Palace. Officials, respectfully and kindly, please note!
Other Thoughts: No Poison IVY in the state of California, look it up, please, if you doubt.
No Poison OAK on this course, as Golden Gate Park was planted like a garden, which it is. In the 1800's and before, this spot was all Sand Dunes. The soil and plants were brought in. And we did Not plant poison oak. I feel compelled to end this rumor, so Anyone finding said 'poison oak'- please contact me with it's exact location, and maybe a picture. We'll check it out right away. p.s. I am quite allergic to poison oak, and it is one of my favorite features of this entire park that there is none. Thanks.

A Rated Urban Gem!

2-4    9/18/2003   4/18/2009
Pros: What I like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- B
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- A
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- A+
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- A+

2-4    4/15/2007   4/15/2009
Review By: sdecker
Pros: Excellent scenery. Pretty convenient to most parts of town.
Cons: Lots of people around even during the week.
Other Thoughts: Liked it overall and would play again if back in the SF area. Played with friends a couple of years ago and enjoyed it. Not the best overall course but not bad, either.

A victim of its own success

1    3/30/2009   4/11/2009
Review By: MattK
Pros: The course is laid out on well-worn, rolling terrain through some magnificent old trees. Despite the novelty of the course, the holes do have generous fairways that take a variety of shots to hit. No expense has been spared on the tees, which are nicely equipped with adjustable signs that designate which pin position is in use. I actually like the nets that protect some of the tees, although more may be needed.
Cons: The course occupies part of a very popular park, resulting in many non disc golfers on the course. Furthermore the course itself seemed over-run when I played - with groups of 2 up to groups of 7 or 8 on each hole. This, the general inexperience of the players and the prevalent alcohol use may contribute to some serious etiquette violations on crowded days. I had people throwing into me and the group in front of us while we were waiting at a tee without yelling "fore", people demanding that I throw when the path wasn't clear, trash talk while you're throwing, etc. The vast majority of people on the course were great, but it only takes a few jerks to spoil a round.
Other Thoughts: This is a very nice course to play, if you can fins a time when it isn't crowded. General playability issues seem to stem from the popularity of the park. Jamming a disc golf course into an area that is already heavily used is bound to lead to difficulties.

GGP

5+    3/25/2009   3/26/2009
Review By: Peterb
Pros: For where it is and the amount of people the it serves, GGP is an excellent course. Good shots abound, the OB is well thought out, and it is pretty technical in spots. Great club, lots of work put in, excellent scene, weeklies, tournies, and doubles.
Cons: Too many drunk idiots, people who think of disc golf as something to do while they drink, tee pads can get slick, must take the course out during the music festivals, trash (people...seriously, PACK YOUR TRASH!), the only course in SF when there should be at least two (are you reading this SF Rec and Park??? Get ON IT )
Other Thoughts: Slowly but sure the big trees here will fall down: they're over 120 years old most of them! Then what? Well the club has begun to plant some other trees and such so that at some point, 20-25 years from now, this place doesn't turn into a barren wasteland of sand and eucalyptus.

Before the white man came to San Francisco, this area was apparently a scrubby live oak woodland. With good planning, it could be again.

Nice course

1    3/1/2009   3/5/2009
Review By: Geoffro
Pros: First of all, this course is located in Golden Gate Park, a gem in West-central San Francisco. Similar to Central Park in New York, the park is a bastion of green forest in the middle of an otherwise bustling metropolis. The setting is wonderful for disc golf, with lush forest of Eucalyptus trees peace and tranquility relatively isolated from the city.

The course itself is nicely designed, with a good mix of left and right-turning fairways, and long and shorter drives required. Some fairways present a positive challenge in terms of "tightness," but this is generally well-thought-out and adds to rather than detracting from the game. Multiple pin placements that I was told are regularly changed. Fairways are well-marked with logs bordering main fairway. The course is supported and maintained largely by the local disc golf club. Good facilities, and the locals are very friendly.
Cons: I would have liked to see some more elevations changes, but this is largely dependent on the area (believe it or not this area of San Francisco is relatively flat). The signage on the course was apparently originally very good, but vandals have desecrated the signs to the point where they are largely unreadable (making the course difficult to play). A few holes cross walking paths, and local non-disc golfers appeared oblivious to course activity. To its credit the course has signs alerting pedestrians to the fact that they are entering a fairway, but many seem to disregard the signs.
Other Thoughts: This course was (I have read) originally was a temporary course of 12 holes, and was expanded to permanent holes and tees in 2007. A great study in course design, and highly recommended if you're in San Francisco for a few days. Make sure to check out the rest of Golden Gate Park (it's huge), as there are lots of great things to see. Plan on spending the day, with 18 holes as only a part of your day...

I had a great time. Thanks much to the San Francisco Disc Golf Club for establishing and maintaining the course!

Fun city park DGC

5+    2/11/2009   2/13/2009
Review By: RedC
Pros: Extremely well maintained by local DG club. Golden Gate DGC is a smaller yet challenging course laid out along trails in a wooded section of the park with little non golfer traffic. Plenty of righty and lefty shots required. Updated pin locations frequently. Secluded from a lot of the SF wind. Lots of cool, local enthusiasts. Very relaxing.
Cons: Lots of player traffic at heavy times, some waiting at tee. Could be longer. Plenty of tree hazards.
Other Thoughts: A very worthy course for anyone.