Delaware, OH
Gordon Holton Memorial DGC Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #3 (Taken 3/2009)

Good choice in Central Ohio

1    1/13/2013   1/19/2013
Review By: Puckstopper
Pros: Overall this was a very fun, enjoyable, challenging course.

* 2 sets of tees, many forcing different lines from the long (as opposed to some courses where the longs are just a bit longer)

* Concrete tee pads, good quality baskets, and available restrooms

* Course forces multiple types of shots, and will punish one dimensional players.
Cons: * Very few trash cans

* Poorly drained areas of the course hold water, and many baskets were extremely muddy.
Other Thoughts: Overall I enjoyed my round at Holton, and will be making the 45 minute drive to play this course again. However, I probably will not do so unless the ground is very dry, as I played the course after several inches of snow had melted, and the course was muddy enough to diminish my enjoyment significantly.

This is a moderately long course with many holes that force you to hit tight lines. As such, it was a bit much for me as a newer (or to be accurate, very rusty) player. However, it gave me to opportunity to work on scrambling, and trouble shots from the rough. Regardless of feeling slightly overmatched I will still play this course again, as I enjoyed it more than the Hambrick or Griggs.

Well Rounded

1    7/23/2011   7/24/2011
Review By: tsqrd
Pros:
[Baskets]: Excellent condition, well maintained.

[Tee Signs/Maps/Markers]: Basic signs at each hole. Signs are decent; including hole number, direction, distance, and next tee location. Par has been hand written on the post. There is a map online and informative bulletin board near the first tee. I did not notice a map at course though.

[General Course Design]: Course flows well from hole to hole. Course starts and ends close to the parking lot.

[Foliage Maintenance]: Areas around the baskets were clear. Wooded areas were clear of debris. Trees are nicely trimmed and grass appears to be cut regularly.

[Benches & Trash bins]: There were benches at each tee box. A few trash cans available and I did not notice any trash on the course.

[Elevation]: Great use of mature trees and elevation changes. The course uses the open and wooded areas of the park to the fullest extent, alternating in and out of the woods every couple of holes.

[Signature Holes]: Several potential signature holes. A variety of hole distances requiring many different shot selections. The course offers a good mix of tight, technical shots and a few opportunities for open bombs.

[Tee Pads]: Concrete, good condition, both pro and amateur tees, and in some cases even a third, all concrete.

[Restrooms]: I noticed a couple restroom facilities throughout the course.
Cons:
[General Course Design]: There was an extra hole in between 11 and 12. Although this is not really a bad thing, it did add some confusion not knowing this beforehand. I do not recall seeing anything about this before we played.

[Foliage Maintenance]: There were a lot of downed trees through the wooded area. This added to the hazard of the elevation changes, so you had to be careful walking up and down the hills through the woods.

[Tee Signs]: Some of the tee signs were missing the map/information. Perhaps they were damaged and being replaced? The only other thing about the signs was a glare from the sun. Several of the signs would cast a bright sun spot toward the tee pad and on a couple occasions, it would hit my eyes right as I was in the middle of my tee shot.
This course was fun to play, and not so tough that beginners will be discouraged. As a beginner myself, the course was challenging enough to force me to consider my shots before throwing.
There is plenty of parking available with a short walk to the first tee. Several picnic tables near the beginning of the course and a few shelter houses scattered throughout.
The nicest state park course I have played, and in the top 5 overall. Definitely worth checking out if you are anywhere close to Delaware.

Underrarted but not by much

5+    11/4/2009   11/4/2009
Review By: Bikinimower
Pros: Good Variety of shot types and distances
Good mix of open field and wooded shots
Low traffic
Well Maintained
Easy to find
Cons: Navigating the course can be tricky
Some of the wooded holes are to dense
I've seen skunks the last few times I've been out there
Other Thoughts: This course is easy to find and it's located in a public park. That's always a good sign and almost guarantees that it will be kept in good condition

I like that the course goes in and out of the woods a lot. Some of the wooded hole are my favorites on the course But some of them are to dense. I find myself just winging my disc and then hoping that luck or tree love will do the rest.

Unless your with someone who knows their way around then this course can be tough to find your way around. After hole 3 turn right and follow the path to your right around the 2 ponds. Hole 12 is impossible to find if your new to the course. After hole 11 turn right, cross the street and look behind the sign that says "Buckeye Grove" there you will find hole 12.

Every Tuesday for 6 bucks they have a tournament. The guy I got paired up with was a gigantic asshole who spent the entire time bragging about how good he was. He was real obnoxious and thought he was all rad but really he was just a huge turd. Don't let him stop you from playing though because every one else there was good people and I had a lot of fun. Sunday at 11 they play doubles

The last few times I went out there I saw skunks. The ranger told me that there is a big skunk infestation everywhere East of the Mississippi River and no one knows why. I thought that was fascinating. An enormous one lives under the bridge on hole 10 so look out. I swear it was big enough to whip a dog.

All in all it's a fun course. I hear a lot of bad things about it but I really like it.

snug fairways

5+    4/5/2010   10/29/2009
Review By: culinarywiz
This review was updated on 4/6/2010
Pros: Beautiful park

Very technical layout

Nice flow from basket to next pad

Nice Pads

Long and Short tees
Cons: Some fairways are too tight

Course doesn't drain well

Other Thoughts: OK. My initial impression of this course has changed significantly.

During my first round here, I had zero tree love. In fact, I had tree hate...and lots of it. The fairways are VERY tight on most holes. After being on the losing end of many ricochets, I left in a sour mood - vowing never to return.

After seeing and hearing consistently positive reviews of this course over the past year, I decided to give it another shot. Glad I did.

This course has a good mix of shots. It has length. It has a few somewhat open holes. It has right, left and strait shots. There are some mild elevation changes. Water comes into play on a couple holes. And the course is certainly challenging.

Some folks seem to think there are navigational issues, but I found none. Just take your time and keep track of what hole you are on. The only time I saw a tee that I considered playing out of order was #17, when I actually wanted #15. One look past it though, and the proper tee was in sight.

It truly is a solid course, worthy of tourney play. You just have to understand that it is a "MOOD disc golf course" and they like it tight.

My recommendation is this...play it a few times before you pass judgment. Good and bad rounds will come and go with this style of layout.

Gordon Holton Memorial DGC - Beautiful!

1    10/10/2009   10/11/2009
Review By: ValcoNation
Pros: Great mix of holes, some short easy bird opportunities, other medium length holes testing your technical abilities, and a few long holes letting you air out your favorite disc (Like my Champion Wraith, Valkyrie and Orc.).

Course Flowed very well and was easy to follow.

Beautiful Scenery. A couple of great holes in the forest along a small winding creek, and other holes close enough to the lake making a great view but far enough away so that it is very difficult to lose a disc.

I really liked the mix of hole directions tested my Backhand and Forehand throws.

Excellent concrete tee-pads.

Very easy to find your disc, unless you make a completely horrid toss. Not very crowded. A great course that isn't to difficult but also not too easy.
Cons: Very few. Tee Pads could have a little colored paint to denote the pro and amateur tees, but no big problem.
Other Thoughts: Fun course playable by beginners and pros alike. I'm sure tournaments there would be an excellent time.