Delaware, OH
Gordon Holton Memorial DGC Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #9 (Taken 3/2009)
Hole #9 Red Tee

2-4    10/5/2009   3/20/2010
Review By: Zigzaggler
Pros: Amazing layout !! Beautiful park that is well maintained. Plenty of variety offered here for all skill levels. little to no wait for tees as the course is spaced out well. One of my all time favs. !!
Cons: a few of the tees were hidden away pretty well, took a little walking to find them. Other than that not a hole lot going bad on this course.
Other Thoughts: Loved to see all trees growing crooked with funny knots, do to disc impact ! Some tees are placed directly behind trees. Added a few marks on a few trees out there myself.

A challenging course

5+    12/12/2009   12/22/2009
Review By: reanthon
Pros: -Concrete tee pads (long and short on most holes)
-Great variety of shots
-Very challenging
-Good Baskets
-Never crowded
-Rustic
Cons: -Need more permanent signs
-Hard to follow if it's your first time
Other Thoughts: This course will make you throw everything in your bag and every type of shot. It was on this course that I was forced to learn how to throw rollers, flick and tomahawk shots. The course is well maintained. As mentioned earlier, tournaments are on Tuesday (singles) and Sunday (doubles) and usually bring in a fair number of pros, including Tyler of team Discraft. So expect this to be more of a five dollar lesson instead of an opportunity to make some cash. None of the holes are really pure luck, as some people have commented. Each hole has atleast one clear route, you just need to watch the pros, play the course a lot and really know your plastic. This course is not beginner friendly, but will force intermediate players to take their game to a new level as well as challenge advanced players. There is some poison oak on the course, put after playing it dozens of times, I have yet to get any on me. This is a beautiful and challenging course and deserves a look if you are in the Delaware area.

Underrarted but not by much

5+    11/4/2009   11/4/2009
Review By: Bikinimower
Pros: Good Variety of shot types and distances
Good mix of open field and wooded shots
Low traffic
Well Maintained
Easy to find
Cons: Navigating the course can be tricky
Some of the wooded holes are to dense
I've seen skunks the last few times I've been out there
Other Thoughts: This course is easy to find and it's located in a public park. That's always a good sign and almost guarantees that it will be kept in good condition

I like that the course goes in and out of the woods a lot. Some of the wooded hole are my favorites on the course But some of them are to dense. I find myself just winging my disc and then hoping that luck or tree love will do the rest.

Unless your with someone who knows their way around then this course can be tough to find your way around. After hole 3 turn right and follow the path to your right around the 2 ponds. Hole 12 is impossible to find if your new to the course. After hole 11 turn right, cross the street and look behind the sign that says "Buckeye Grove" there you will find hole 12.

Every Tuesday for 6 bucks they have a tournament. The guy I got paired up with was a gigantic asshole who spent the entire time bragging about how good he was. He was real obnoxious and thought he was all rad but really he was just a huge turd. Don't let him stop you from playing though because every one else there was good people and I had a lot of fun. Sunday at 11 they play doubles

The last few times I went out there I saw skunks. The ranger told me that there is a big skunk infestation everywhere East of the Mississippi River and no one knows why. I thought that was fascinating. An enormous one lives under the bridge on hole 10 so look out. I swear it was big enough to whip a dog.

All in all it's a fun course. I hear a lot of bad things about it but I really like it.

snug fairways

5+    4/5/2010   10/29/2009
Review By: culinarywiz
This review was updated on 4/6/2010
Pros: Beautiful park

Very technical layout

Nice flow from basket to next pad

Nice Pads

Long and Short tees
Cons: Some fairways are too tight

Course doesn't drain well

Other Thoughts: OK. My initial impression of this course has changed significantly.

During my first round here, I had zero tree love. In fact, I had tree hate...and lots of it. The fairways are VERY tight on most holes. After being on the losing end of many ricochets, I left in a sour mood - vowing never to return.

After seeing and hearing consistently positive reviews of this course over the past year, I decided to give it another shot. Glad I did.

This course has a good mix of shots. It has length. It has a few somewhat open holes. It has right, left and strait shots. There are some mild elevation changes. Water comes into play on a couple holes. And the course is certainly challenging.

Some folks seem to think there are navigational issues, but I found none. Just take your time and keep track of what hole you are on. The only time I saw a tee that I considered playing out of order was #17, when I actually wanted #15. One look past it though, and the proper tee was in sight.

It truly is a solid course, worthy of tourney play. You just have to understand that it is a "MOOD disc golf course" and they like it tight.

My recommendation is this...play it a few times before you pass judgment. Good and bad rounds will come and go with this style of layout.

Solid course

1    10/11/2009   10/11/2009
Review By: gcoghill
Pros: - Nice concrete tee pads
- Beautiful scenery
- Secluded
- Easily accessible/easy to find
Cons: - Hole-to-tee can be confusing at times
- Tee signs have laminated paper that was missing or severly damaged on quite a few holes
- Hole layout hugs the roads a bit too tight for many holes
Other Thoughts: Overall a solid course, and worth a round if you are in the area.

Primarily a technical course, but a few holes are open enough to get a good long drive in if your accuracy is decent.

A few great holes in the woods. The course hugged the park roads and parking lots a bit too tight for my taste, especially considering the expansiveness of the park. When the holes meandered though the woods, the course was top notch. Too often though, holes were in more open areas (although still lots of trees) alongside roads with baskets placed in difficult locations. Wasn't so keen on those holes, which was about half the course.

The transition from hole-to-tee on quite a few baskets was frustrating, I even had a copy of the course map on my phone and still had difficulty navigating at times, particularly from Hole 11 basket to Hole 12 tee.

Definitely a fun course and worth a play if you are in the area or if you live nearby. I was visiting friends in Columbus and having already played the excellent Brent Hambrick course, I wanted to try a new course.

Hambrick and Holton are the only two Columbus-area courses I have played as of Oct. 2009, but if I had to choose between the I would go with Hambrick for sure. If you can play both, they're both worth a round.

Also, the photos for this course are a bit misleading as the trees get quite full with leaves and increase the beauty and challenge of every hole.

Gordon Holton Memorial DGC - Beautiful!

1    10/10/2009   10/11/2009
Review By: ValcoNation
Pros: Great mix of holes, some short easy bird opportunities, other medium length holes testing your technical abilities, and a few long holes letting you air out your favorite disc (Like my Champion Wraith, Valkyrie and Orc.).

Course Flowed very well and was easy to follow.

Beautiful Scenery. A couple of great holes in the forest along a small winding creek, and other holes close enough to the lake making a great view but far enough away so that it is very difficult to lose a disc.

I really liked the mix of hole directions tested my Backhand and Forehand throws.

Excellent concrete tee-pads.

Very easy to find your disc, unless you make a completely horrid toss. Not very crowded. A great course that isn't to difficult but also not too easy.
Cons: Very few. Tee Pads could have a little colored paint to denote the pro and amateur tees, but no big problem.
Other Thoughts: Fun course playable by beginners and pros alike. I'm sure tournaments there would be an excellent time.

Left, right, up down, wet, dry

5+    9/17/2009   9/22/2009
Review By: myjambandbetter
Pros: -Easy to find off Rt. 23. with plenty of parking, signage, tables and shade at Hole 1.
-State Park with concessions (discs even)
-Long/ Short with concrete tee pads
-Few holes punishing off the T (tunnel) while others offer plenty of Grip/ Rip
-Distance and control needed
-Rarely have to wait as the course is rarely crowed
-Benches
Cons: -Baskets could be better
-Have heard drainage in the late winter/ early spring can leave for some soggy feet
-Each hole is marked however they are marked w/ laminated paper with a couple holes missing singage
-#12 could be marked better
Other Thoughts: This course has taught me to hone my approach game and to control my drives. While some holes allow recovery after a bad drive the majority require placement off the tee.

Pick a lane and throw.

A few benches had been vandalized but painted over.

Need a trash can or 2 more on the course.

Without An Identity

1    9/2/2009   9/2/2009
Review By: Stan
Pros: Any course set in a State Park is worth playing and this is no exception. There is a mix of wooded and open holes. The wooded holes make this course worth playing as you get to explore some unique land and interesting paths. The course requires some thought and accuracy but isn't overwhelming.

Unlike others, I found the couse easy to navigate. I played by myself and only was confused twice. Each tee pad shows where the next hole begins.
Cons: The open holes really leave a lot to be desired. The holes themselves are fine...basically a 300ft shot with a large tree or two to avoid. However, the open holes are lined with streets and parking lots which completely takes away from the State Park feel.
Other Thoughts: If the open holes felt more secluded, I would have rated the course a bit higher. But with spending 1/3 the time around blacktops, I felt it was an average experience. The wooded holes are great and make the course worth playing.

First round at a great course

2-4    7/19/2009   7/20/2009
Review By: th1sjust1n
This review was updated on 9/5/2009
Pros: +Beautiful location.
+Wonderful park and grounds.
+Well kept and maintained course. +Challenging and technical play. +Elevation changes.
+Practically no 'gimmie' holes. +Multiple tee options.
+Friendly local players invested in the course and game.
Cons: There really isn't anything I didn't like...but...

-Transition between some holes can be tough.
-Sign posts are nice but hole descriptions are just printed paper under plastic.
-Predominately technical play may turn away some players.
-Bathrooms near first tee are your typical park style 'hole in the ground'.
Other Thoughts: This is definitley not a power players course as others have stated. Play here needs to be conrolled and deliberate. You can rip it on a few holes but most have tight fairways and narrow approaches. This course demands a different style of play compared to locations like BHM, Lobdell, and Glacier Ridge. It's a welcome and very enjoyable difference...even if you submerge an Aviar in the water on hole 1. :(

This course can be quite challenging especially from the pro tees. There are very few holes of great length (400+) but that's hardly a problem as hole design makes up for it.

All in all, this was a great course to play and my friends and I will be back again and again now that we've had the chance to try it out. Definitely one of the best in Central Ohio.

On a side note, the location being in Delaware State Park adds many benefits. The park has many amenities you can take advantage of should you desire.

Premier Central Ohio DGC

1    7/19/2009   7/19/2009
Review By: Rudy W
Pros: Beautiful park and surrounding water areas. Good mix of shots available from the 20 holes. Some of the more open holes may appear "open" from the course map, but the tree canopies force you to keep your shots to 10' - 15' off the ground. A few holes have water in play, but only extremely errant shots need worry.
Cons: A few holes feature trees that force extremely narrow throws. Experienced pros may find this course too easy.

I've only played this course once thus far so I don't want to highlight to many cons for the sake of fairness. However, after a few more rounds I'm not sure I will come up with any more. This is a really premier course for central Ohio.
Other Thoughts: This course definitely deserves more attention by central Ohio disc golfers. It deserves more foot traffic indeed. I have played most of the other central Ohio courses and this is definitely in my top 3. Great work on this course and please, everyone, come visit this course. The park is a great walk and the holes are fun and fairly challenging.