Shreveport, LA
Clyde Fant DGC Share
Uploaded By: aillet Hole #3 (Taken 8/2008)

Clyde Fant/Veteran's DGC

5+    9/3/2016   9/14/2016
Review By: Drago318
Pros: In my opinion the biggest "pro" or best thing about this course, I think is also probably it's most under utilized. CF/Veterans DGC happens to be 1 out of only a handful (I've heard different #'s but we'll say <20) of disc golf courses in the world that is lit up at night allowing for 24hrs of play per day 365 days a year. It never closes. Great during the hot summer months. CF/VDGC is pretty well open with a few large trees scattered around the course. Course makes good use of hills, mando's, trees, & large drainage ditch system running throughout the entire course. Course was shortened significantly at the beginning of summer.
Cons: City is responsible for mowing grass so it is gets about knee high before it gets cut. CT/VDGC sits between the N & S bound lanes of one of Shreveports busiest roads. Traffic can be distracting from time to time. Also on the weekends during regular school year & almost every night during the summer the high school kids and street racers use the parking lot for staging their races on the parkway. Also loud and annoying

This is a weird one

1    10/8/2015   6/8/2016
Review By: discgolfnovice88
Pros: Compact course
Easy to get to
Baskets and tees in good shape
Lots of great trees
Lighted so I assume you could play at night
Cons: It is located in the median of a 4 lane highway
It was very busy and you cut back and forth so much it puts other players in danger
Other Thoughts: This was a weird course being located in the median. The compact nature of the course made it difficult to not nail other players in the head for a beginner.

First Course

5+    5/1/2016   5/2/2016
Review By: willfullilove
Pros: -Concrete tees.
-Map (includes yardage)
-Beginner friendly for people like me.
-Good use of space.
-Variety of distance
-Nice baskets.
-Its free to play
Cons: -The holes are crammed.
-Very little shade
-Low challenge
-Holes 1 and 10 are usually flooded
Other Thoughts: I enjoy the course as a beginner and will continue to play here until i can compete at a higher level. I have yet to play underneath the lights.

1    4/28/2012   4/28/2012
Review By: killjoy
Pros: well maintained grass, some good holes.
Cons: mostly straight long drives. No real challenges except maybe trying to throw that far. Alot of back and forth on the course, glad it wasn't busy pretty sure would not work with alot of people there.
Other Thoughts: This course made me feel like a wimp, i usually drive really far and this course had me not even half way to the basket more than a few times. by the end of it i felt as if i had just done my second round of golf. I would pass on this course unless you have nothing better to do with your time.

Good for beginners.

1    8/14/2011   8/17/2011
Review By: sgb118
Pros: This one is very beginner friendly. The course is very open, and the trees and hills wouldn't add very much challenge for noobies. The tee pads were nice. Signage was somewhat helpful, although you can see every basket from the tee. The course was very well laid out, given the limited space (the median of a highway), and the highway was never an issue during play.
Cons: There are a ton of switchbacks in this course, which could have been confusing at times, if we hadn't been playing with a very friendly local. If the park were crowded, I could see this course being pretty difficult to play. There are walking paths that wind through play, as well as the possibility of other groups' discs entering your fairway. (Of course this isn't a problem when the park isn't busy.) There were no on-site bathrooms and few trashcans.
Other Thoughts: We played it during the hottest part of the day, but a friendly local told us about the night play that goes on here. Would have been fun to tee off at night, but had to keep driving. He also told us about a storm that passed through, which took out a lot of the trees in the park. Lots of stumps can be seen through the round, so there is lots less shade. Bring water if you play it in the summer; it was pretty steamy out there. There is a nine hole course through a tunnel under the west highway, and the local we played with told us that they occasionally add another nine on the east side of the highway for tournaments.

For Easy Round

2-4    8/2/2009   3/2/2011
Review By: jdawgl
Pros: Very straight and short. Great course to bring beginners. Close enough to spend time downtown Shreveport.
Cons: The tight fairways can be hazardous. The course doubles on itself on practically every hole. Watch out for errant discs.
Other Thoughts: If the course were completely vacant, I would consider playing again.

Solid Kept Up Course

5+    8/19/2010   8/22/2010
Review By: Trevor151
This review was updated on 8/26/2010
Pros: Course is well kept up. Grass is cut frequently and there's little to none litter. Great course for beginners and other skill levels. Tee signs are all accurate. Picnic tables and trash cans along the course. Lights are in place so you can play at night.
Cons: May be confusing to players new to the course as to where the next hole is on a couple of holes.
Other Thoughts: Really fun course to play for all skill levels. I played at night one time and the back 9 was not as lit up as the front 9 so if you do not know the course very well I do not recommend playing at night.

Wish I'd played 12 hours later

1    7/1/2010   7/9/2010
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Clyde Fant is a solid course in a well maintained city park. Each hole had a concrete tee, a sign, and basket in satisfactory condition. Holes are lengthy enough to make accuracy important, and a few young trees will add character as they grow in.
Cons: A few of the transitions between holes were not easy to follow. Sort of boring as far as shot selection was concerned. The course was open enough that the same tee shot would work for the majority of the holes. I parked near the west nine, and thought they were part of this course, until I found the tunnel under the highway.
Other Thoughts: I would have liked to play at night, just because I have never played under the lights. It may make the course more fun. However, I probably would not have been able to find all of the holes if I had played my first round there in the dark. Perhaps someday I will, but next time I travel through Shreveport I'm exploring the other parks in the area.

Its in the park!

1    3/27/2010   4/1/2010
Review By: vtsquid
Pros: Well Groomed, Great area, Nice parking, easy to get to and its in the park! The rolling hills and large trees make it feel homey, as well as the nice tee boxes and pick nick tables. It is very clean and feels very safe!
Cons: If there are alot of people at the park, you need to be careful not to hit anyone! From hole 14, its a little confusing the first time played. its in the middle of the highway, so there is highway noise to deal with. wild throws can go into the highway, so be careful!
Other Thoughts: This is a long walking course on nicely groomed grass. The holes are mostly open, so its a lot of long throws. There are no real tight shots to deal with. This would be a great course to bring someone new to disc golf, and show them the ropes! I really enjoyed it because while playing you can see others enjoying the park and there is a very nice bike path that runs along and through the area. It feels very safe due to being in the open, and there are lights over the field, so there is a possibility of playing later into the day!

I really enjoyed this course, some may think it is boring, but its a nice easy going non threatening course that you can really take your time and hone your skills!

Still Fun After All These Years

5+    12/27/2009   1/5/2010
Review By: LetsPlayGolf
Pros: I first played this course in 1984 with a wham-o frisbee and my 'Old Man' so this is where it all began for me... Flash forward 25 years. This couse is still well maintained (even after the storm) and is fun to play.

-Wide open fairways with mature trees
-Several fall-away greens with steep hills around the pins
-2 to 3 pin placements per hole
-benches and trash cans
-concrete tees
-and ofcourse the lights
-GREAT course for beginners and novice to learn and fine-tune their game
-A sign on the info board stated the Parks Dept is dedicated to restoring and updating the course. That is great news
Cons: It has been 7-8 years since I have played the course and I was dissapointed with the amount of litter that was on the ground. There was not a LOT by any means, just more than I remember. (COME ON guys... pick up a can or a napkin while in the fairway! I picked up 3 cans in my one round!)

As I have gotten better this course does not offer the challenge it used to, not really a con so much because this course is still a great course for beginners to learn on.

Other Thoughts: Overall still a fun course to play while 'home for the holidays' If you are in the area it is easy to get to and fairly easy to navigate, plus there is always someone out there playing and if you ask, they will probably let you join in.