Shreveport, LA
Clyde Fant DGC Share
Uploaded By: aillet Hole #18 (Taken 8/2008)

interseting

1    4/28/2012   4/28/2012
Review By: killjoy
Pros: well maintained grass, some good holes.
Cons: mostly straight long drives. No real challenges except maybe trying to throw that far. Alot of back and forth on the course, glad it wasn't busy pretty sure would not work with alot of people there.
Other Thoughts: This course made me feel like a wimp, i usually drive really far and this course had me not even half way to the basket more than a few times. by the end of it i felt as if i had just done my second round of golf. I would pass on this course unless you have nothing better to do with your time.

Good for beginners.

1    8/14/2011   8/17/2011
Review By: sgb118
Pros: This one is very beginner friendly. The course is very open, and the trees and hills wouldn't add very much challenge for noobies. The tee pads were nice. Signage was somewhat helpful, although you can see every basket from the tee. The course was very well laid out, given the limited space (the median of a highway), and the highway was never an issue during play.
Cons: There are a ton of switchbacks in this course, which could have been confusing at times, if we hadn't been playing with a very friendly local. If the park were crowded, I could see this course being pretty difficult to play. There are walking paths that wind through play, as well as the possibility of other groups' discs entering your fairway. (Of course this isn't a problem when the park isn't busy.) There were no on-site bathrooms and few trashcans.
Other Thoughts: We played it during the hottest part of the day, but a friendly local told us about the night play that goes on here. Would have been fun to tee off at night, but had to keep driving. He also told us about a storm that passed through, which took out a lot of the trees in the park. Lots of stumps can be seen through the round, so there is lots less shade. Bring water if you play it in the summer; it was pretty steamy out there. There is a nine hole course through a tunnel under the west highway, and the local we played with told us that they occasionally add another nine on the east side of the highway for tournaments.

For Easy Round

2-4    8/2/2009   3/2/2011
Review By: jdawgl
Pros: Very straight and short. Great course to bring beginners. Close enough to spend time downtown Shreveport.
Cons: The tight fairways can be hazardous. The course doubles on itself on practically every hole. Watch out for errant discs.
Other Thoughts: If the course were completely vacant, I would consider playing again.

Solid Kept Up Course

5+    8/19/2010   8/22/2010
Review By: Trevor151
This review was updated on 8/26/2010
Pros: Course is well kept up. Grass is cut frequently and there's little to none litter. Great course for beginners and other skill levels. Tee signs are all accurate. Picnic tables and trash cans along the course. Lights are in place so you can play at night.
Cons: May be confusing to players new to the course as to where the next hole is on a couple of holes.
Other Thoughts: Really fun course to play for all skill levels. I played at night one time and the back 9 was not as lit up as the front 9 so if you do not know the course very well I do not recommend playing at night.

Wish I'd played 12 hours later

1    7/1/2010   7/9/2010
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Clyde Fant is a solid course in a well maintained city park. Each hole had a concrete tee, a sign, and basket in satisfactory condition. Holes are lengthy enough to make accuracy important, and a few young trees will add character as they grow in.
Cons: A few of the transitions between holes were not easy to follow. Sort of boring as far as shot selection was concerned. The course was open enough that the same tee shot would work for the majority of the holes. I parked near the west nine, and thought they were part of this course, until I found the tunnel under the highway.
Other Thoughts: I would have liked to play at night, just because I have never played under the lights. It may make the course more fun. However, I probably would not have been able to find all of the holes if I had played my first round there in the dark. Perhaps someday I will, but next time I travel through Shreveport I'm exploring the other parks in the area.

Its in the park!

1    3/27/2010   4/1/2010
Review By: vtsquid
Pros: Well Groomed, Great area, Nice parking, easy to get to and its in the park! The rolling hills and large trees make it feel homey, as well as the nice tee boxes and pick nick tables. It is very clean and feels very safe!
Cons: If there are alot of people at the park, you need to be careful not to hit anyone! From hole 14, its a little confusing the first time played. its in the middle of the highway, so there is highway noise to deal with. wild throws can go into the highway, so be careful!
Other Thoughts: This is a long walking course on nicely groomed grass. The holes are mostly open, so its a lot of long throws. There are no real tight shots to deal with. This would be a great course to bring someone new to disc golf, and show them the ropes! I really enjoyed it because while playing you can see others enjoying the park and there is a very nice bike path that runs along and through the area. It feels very safe due to being in the open, and there are lights over the field, so there is a possibility of playing later into the day!

I really enjoyed this course, some may think it is boring, but its a nice easy going non threatening course that you can really take your time and hone your skills!

Still Fun After All These Years

5+    12/27/2009   1/5/2010
Review By: LetsPlayGolf
Pros: I first played this course in 1984 with a wham-o frisbee and my 'Old Man' so this is where it all began for me... Flash forward 25 years. This couse is still well maintained (even after the storm) and is fun to play.

-Wide open fairways with mature trees
-Several fall-away greens with steep hills around the pins
-2 to 3 pin placements per hole
-benches and trash cans
-concrete tees
-and ofcourse the lights
-GREAT course for beginners and novice to learn and fine-tune their game
-A sign on the info board stated the Parks Dept is dedicated to restoring and updating the course. That is great news
Cons: It has been 7-8 years since I have played the course and I was dissapointed with the amount of litter that was on the ground. There was not a LOT by any means, just more than I remember. (COME ON guys... pick up a can or a napkin while in the fairway! I picked up 3 cans in my one round!)

As I have gotten better this course does not offer the challenge it used to, not really a con so much because this course is still a great course for beginners to learn on.

Other Thoughts: Overall still a fun course to play while 'home for the holidays' If you are in the area it is easy to get to and fairly easy to navigate, plus there is always someone out there playing and if you ask, they will probably let you join in.

solid, old school

1    3/26/2004   11/15/2009
Review By: tallpaul
Pros: lights, of course, though we played most holes in daylight; last, in twilight
cement tees
27 holes
some interesting mandos; and some fairly tight lines for me, playing forehand, which I didn't do much in those days. I was off enough that I flirted with the big fence line to the left of some pins.
tunnel walk to extra nine; kind of cool too
Cons: pretty old school, nothing special, but worth a stop....especially for night play.....I almost want to give it a 3.5 for having more than 18 holes and lights....but the course is just not that special. You couldn't beat it as a night round on a trip though.....
Other Thoughts: This was installed in 1984. Good distance, for those days. Still not bad; nearly 6,000 feet. Lights and 27 holes, and....I found the course's placement, between main roads, unique. Wanted to post a review to declare that I played this one with 3 broken bones in my ankle; forehand, in order to get a course in Louisiana. I earn nearly a 5 rating for my personal behavior/ disc addiction. And, I had a few deuces.

Great fun

1    11/13/2009   11/14/2009
Review By: chalos13
Pros: Played at night, great course, well lit. Didn't see any trash cans, but also didn't see any trash, the park was very clean. This is a fun course, it's a lot of open shots. The holes aren't very long, but a couple had good distance. There are a few mandos that add a level of difficulty. None of the baskets seemed to be spitting my discs back out. I enjoyed this course, but it's more fun than challenging. If you're a pro, you will probably be bored.
Cons: This course was a little confusing. Apparently there was a storm a while back and they moved many of the holes to increase difficulty. This means may signs are wrong and the maps on the signs are a little vague. Also you zig zag around the park a lot! Fortunately i had a guide, otherwise I would have been out there for at least an hour longer figuring the tees and baskets out.
Other Thoughts: Lots of activity at night, people street racing up and down the road, the parking lot was full of high schoolers. Thanks to Shaun and Cece for guiding me and my girlfriend. I like this park, but I prefer a fun park for the first time out. If I was local i can see this course getting boring though.

A unique location

1    8/27/2002   8/27/2009
Review By: DavidSauls
Pros: The lights, of course, though I was there in the daytime.

I've only played the original 18, which I'd describe as solid but not exciting. Course is laid out among medium-sized trees with no underbrush, and well-mown grass. Lots of fairly open shots curving around trees; open if you're accurate but if you're off and hit the trees, they'll stop your disc. A few holes with low ceilings. No elevation changes from tee to basket, but some basket are on or near dips and rises that add a little variety to the hole.

A good place for medium-distance drives. Almost no chance of losing discs (in the daylight).
Cons: Mainly, the lack of great holes.
Other Thoughts: Course is set where a riverfront parkway splits into a very wide median. Very unusual. But at least when I was there, traffic was light, so any impression that you're playing in a highway is inaccurate.

Review is original 18 only.