Fort Pierce, FL
Uploaded By: grynreeper Hole #2

Gordy road

5+    3/23/2014   4/2/2014
Review By: Peter S
Pros: So many pros where to start. First the challenge & variety of shots is unmatched by the courses in Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area. Long & short concrete tees on all 18, practice basket, new signs for new 18 layout, no crouds, watter holes, fairways that look like a ball golf course with manacured grass fairways that transition to short, then longer/taller rough. Control burn of what was once out of control underbrush. In a free park.
Cons: Can be a disc eater. No return to car until 18. A bit in the middle of nowhere for a south Florida resident & they do not know what they are missing. A few times there was standing water aound.
Other Thoughts: If you are driving north to Disney or down to south Florida on I-95 or Turnpike this is a don't miss. It is only 2 minutes off the highways. The palm trees and water can eat discs. Bring some sacrificial lambs for first time. The current pictures are of the old layout & old signs. Restroom by parking lot for the ladies. Picnic tables by parking area. Since it is far from home bring lunch & spend the day. No trash cans as free park. Pack in-pack out. Dont be a dirty disc-r.

not for beginners!

1    9/6/2013   9/16/2013
Review By: TiVo713
Pros: It's a beautiful course, with great teepads, new baskets, and very well laid out. On the course map it doesn't look like an impossible course...
Cons: ...however the fairways are wayyyyy too narrow, i'm talking like 5-10 ft wide mowed grass with knee high grass everywhere else. It hadn't rained in a few days and the course was pretty wet with areas flooded. If you're a beginner, i would not recommend...
Other Thoughts: While I'm a halfway decent disc golfer, i was going up to a tournament with my ultimate team. I provided loaner discs for everyone. By hole 6, they had thrown 7 discs either into the water, into trees, or lost in rough grass never to be seen again even with a teamwide manhunt. Would it kill you guys to open the fairway up a tiny bit? Being a ft lauderdale player, i'm used to more open spaces like tradewinds, easterlin and indian hammocks.

a VERY challenging course

5+    2/17/2013   2/18/2013
Review By: Bocephus_Moonshine
This review was updated on 5/14/2013
Pros: This 18 hole course has two concrete pads per hole and multiple pin positions on most holes. This course will challenge you to become a better player.

With three water holes, the league gives you the option of taking a two stroke penalty to throw from the short pads, which don't cross water.

The new signs have been installed, making it easier to navigate the course!
Cons: With narrow fairways and tall grass on both sides, you can spend a lot of time looking for discs, especially when you play alone.
Other Thoughts: This is my favorite course in the area because it's made me a better player. If you come out for the Saturday morning handicap and play in a group, it's not so bad. The course has recently been expanded from 9 to 18 holes, and every hole has a pair of concrete pads (blue and red).

Gordy Road DGC

1    12/25/2012   12/26/2012
Review By: craigd
Pros: Together Gordy Road Park and the Up The Ten Mile Creek Disc Golf Club have put together a very fun and challenging course. The course has recently been upgraded to eighteen holes from the previous nine and is a welcome addition. Highlighted by the lake with its water carries, some tight fairways, and the punishing rough, there's plenty to test golfers of all skill levels. Two tee pads per hole, perfectly sized with a nice rough finish provide a couple of options with the multiple pin placements that keep things fresh. The baskets are in newer, in great shape, and of course they catch well.

Not unlike the few Florida courses I've played, there are not many elevation changes throughout the course. Instead, it relies on the other natural characteristics of the land. Namely, the before mentioned lake that not only asked for the couple of water carries from the longs but it'll also show it's face on a couple of holes where a bad drive will have you flirting with the water too. Demanding fairways and thoughtfully placed baskets tucked in areas guarded by trees and a variety of palms will add to the challenge. Overall I felt like the holes favored left handed back hand or right handed flick throwers so that can add to the challenge if righty anhyzers give you trouble. An elevated basket was also a nice touch for a change of pace midway through the round.

The course itself is in its own area of the park with seemingly no chance for other park users to interfere with your round. Ample parking with bathrooms available make for a nice touch. Eighteen's basket, being near the parking lot, doubles for a practice basket. Finally you'll find a nicely trimmed course with the grass cut to define the fairways and paths from hole to hole.
Cons: A lot of the cons here will go away with time . At this point lack of signage would be the biggest complaint. But as mentioned by a couple of locals this is on the to-do list. Secondly, and this is purely a personal preference, I thought there was way too much shule when you get off the fairways. It could be very easy to lose a disc on errant shots or bad kicks off trees. At times even a decent shot can be unfairly punished in some cases.

The nearby landfill stinks pretty bad and the smell found its way to the course on a few of the holes.
Other Thoughts: I'd suggest playing with locals your first time out. Because of the lack of signage (as of 12/12) and the opportunities to lose discs, someone guiding you around and the added convenience of having a spotter will save you a bit of frustration.

If you're passing through, it's a quick stop off the turnpike or I-95.

Nice course

1    8/14/2012   8/17/2012
Review By: Hitman
Pros: Well groomed, multiple tees and baskets. The course was mowed down the fairways and it was marked fairly well. I had no trouble navigating to the next hole my first time out. Tees are concrete pads.
Cons: Tall grass to the sides can easily hide a disc (and a snake) causing a pause in the action. Keep it on the fairways. It is only 9 holes.
Other Thoughts: This truly is a nice little course to play for everyone. Me3t some nice people while I was there, very helpful and informative. Hopefully they will add some more holes.

Camp Bubbles Swinger Shanty Town

1    2/10/2012   2/25/2012
Pros: 1) Dual tees on this course allows for varying levels of play. The long tees definitely add some difficulty which includes some water carries.

2) Challenging course with all of the tall grass and brush in spots. There really aren't that many shots that are just straight out there for you. You need to work your disc all directions and have a ceiling on a few of the shots too.

3) Nice signs have Hole#, Distance, par, and a general map of the hole. They also go one step further and post photos of what the approaches look like so you can use it as a way to figure out the landing area and what angle you might want to take. I have never seen this before but I think it is a great idea.

4) #9 is a very interesting basket location. It is set on a raised mound of soil. It feels a little like a bunker soldiers would hide behind. I like the subtle alteration to the norm that this creates.

5) Fairways were mowed but they aren't super wide, but at least they clear a path for you to feel somewhat safe as you walk down the fairway.

6) The elevated basket on #6 is also a pretty cool thing. It's on a relatively simple hole so it adds a level of challenge on the putting.

7) Excellent variety in distance on this course. The dual tees also really alter the range of the holes too.

8) Painted posts indicate the tee areas. They are color coded for which tee you are playing.

9) Number of the hole is located on like a 4x4 post on top of these homemade baskets. There never is a question about what basket you are throwing at but it helps in navigation as you pass by another basket you can more easily figure out which way you are going next.

10) 10) There are restrooms and plenty of parking available. There is also a sign showing you where you need to walk to get to the first tee. One more arrow is needed but at least they point you in the right direction.

11) Excellent property with a large lake, some rolling Florida wetland and low areas. There is a variety of trees and foliage here which makes for an interesting property.
Cons: 1) The only issue I have with the signs is they will eventually break down from the sweltering sun because they are just laminated pieces of paper. Moisture will get under the lamination and the paper will disintegrate.

2) There was only 1 snake sighting but I am sure there are hundreds out in the tall grass. Perhaps they aren't out much this time of year but I was fearful the entire time walking through the tall grass. I know my wife didn't really want me walking all around the course.

3) This course will also force you to look for your disc at many times. While the shots aren't totally blind, there is a lot of plant material and tall grass that you can easily end up in.

4) I would say this course is far from beginner friendly.

5) The rubber tees have shown their age ripping in parts and falling apart at the edges.

6) Homemade baskets are single chain and do not quite catch like all other baskets.

7) No garbage cans that I can remember and the only bench I remember was at #9 basket.
Other Thoughts: Camp Bubbles is located on the way into the park after you cross the bridge you aren't sure you are supposed to be crossing. I think the most logical explanation of the name of this camp is that they are a bunch of swingers that live in the two RV's and the one house on the property. They also have a pet turkey apparently because it followed me up and down the road right there. I think it was waiting to be fed. I even backed up my car and it followed me that way. Or you could take a look down below the bridge and see all the bubbles from the small waterfall, but I would like to think that this was a shanty town of swingers.

I wonder if the rogue deer that jumped out of the woods as we were walking towards #1 was also from Camp Bubbles. We were scared when it jumped out because we had no idea what the noise was and then it started to charge us for a few paces and then it jumped back down off the path into the low area and through the natural area.

The biggest thing that makes me want to give this course a bad rating is actually an unfair reason to rate the course lower. Basically it is the naturalness of the area and the fact I guarantee there are plenty of deadly animals off to the peripheral areas on this course. As the course is designed it has some great holes and unique features and it should be rated accordingly. While my concern for my life is a factor I cannot let that part take too much off the course rating so I am keeping it at a 3.5 when in actuality I would be less likely to come back because of the snakes and scorpions and whatever else might be in the tall grass.

Short but sweet

1    2/6/2012   2/6/2012
Review By: enragedmullet
Pros: Well designed/thought out course, takes advantage of the space provided well.

Good signage; clearly marks where pro/am tees are

Baskets vary in elevation, adding a dimension to some of the holes you don't often get in FL.

Course requires a bit of finesse

Beautiful area
Cons: Large lake, good luck retrieving any lost discs

Not all holes are pro & am, some are combined; add to that some slightly short holes (< 200 ft.), and you get one or two short pro holes (i'm a rank amateur, so this didn't bother me)

Walkways are a bit narrow, and unless you're super accurate, you may end up in some brush

Just to be nit-picky, I-95 provides the soundtrack here;

Check for TP in the bathroom before you sit down!
Other Thoughts: OK, so this course is like a hidden treasure of sorts. Only 9 holes, but what it lacks in length it makes up for in scenic beauty, ease of navigation and design. I think it being Super Bowl Sunday had something to do with the fact that we only saw 1 other person, which was nice. On the west side you have beautiful FL scenery, the lake is large and nice to look at, and on the east, just beyond I-95 there's a gorgeous mountain (read landfill) view.

At the risk of sounding redundant, the place is well maintained albeit a bit narrow; if you're a noob like me it's easy to get into the brush.

Also, we didn't take a dirt road to hole 1 like the directions said; we parked near the entrance by a big DISC GOLF sign (you can't miss it). There's a trail just beyond that to the right, & 150-200 yards down is the first tee.

The only reasons I give this place a 3.5 & not a 4 are that it's only 9 holes and a bit cramped.

Nice 9 holer

1    12/20/2011   12/20/2011
Review By: 21111
Pros: Holes 3 and 4 from long tees are two of the best anywhere. fairways are mowed.
Cons: Fairways need to be widened or Atleast landing areas developed to make it more enjoyable experience.
Other Thoughts: Nice use of the terrain, like the elevated basket on hole 6.

Gem in FLORIDA

1    4/24/2010   7/14/2010
Review By: bennyb
Pros: Well groomed
Friendly locals (they like to Turbo putt)
tons of fun obstacles
Cons: Lots of obstacles
Close fairways
Only 9 holes. Though there are long and short tees
Signage a little confusing
Other Thoughts: Cool little spot.

Best Course in South FL

1    4/22/2010   4/23/2010
Review By: roclover
Pros: Great signage, fantastic usage of available land/obstacles, good mix of shots and shot selection/choice on each hole, not busy, well manicured, easy to navigate and overall a fun course to play.

Cons: No elevation... but hey, it's FLORIDA.

Noise from the highway was a little annoying, but I tuned it out after a few holes.

The water holes may intimidate you, and alligators may eat your disc.
Other Thoughts: This was an unexpected gem for me. I was traveling down to Miami to visit my sister and stopped in at Deerfield beach for the day. Decided to check on the off chance that there may be something in the area and found out that it was basically right under me!

One of the greatest things about this course is how "Florida" it is. There's really no where else where you could play a course quite like this. I was also delighted by the AM and PRO options. I played twice and felt like I was playing a full 18 as opposed to a slightly longer repeat (which seems to be the case in many courses).

From the AM tees it's mostly a mid-range/putter accuracy game with good risk/reward to get those birdies.

The PRO tees actually allowed me to throw some drivers for the first time of the day including the 500+ foot bomb on hole 9.

I've played just about every course in south Florida and this little 9 hole is my favorite. I would come back in a heartbeat, and intend to stop here again next time I'm visiting family in FL.