Norwalk, OH
Great Blue Heron Share
Uploaded By: Brall Hole #6 (Taken 4/2011)
3 / 220ft.   -- / --   3 / 220ft.   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Best course in area

2-4    8/24/2013   9/16/2013
Review By: icandisc
Pros: Scenery is wonderful
LONG holes add challenge
Lots of water and other natural challenges
Restrooms and water
Nice park with fishing, swingsets, walking trails -- you can bring others who don't play with you without fear of bordem
Cons: Losing a disc in the water sucks
Not a beginner friendly course
Course maintenance seems to be an issue at times
Other Thoughts: This course has come along nicely since I first played, but often seems to suffer from issues. Storms ravage the area, or grass gets overgrown; nothing that prevents me from wanting to play the course, but it should be noted. Folks complaining about the layout and getting lost I think exaggerate the issue a little. There is a nice course map next to hole #1, but I agree I would need to wander a bit to find some holes. This is simply due to the size of the course and the location it is played in. Not a con to me, but if you want to be able to see the next hole from the pin you threw to, this isn't the course for you.

needs work

1    8/3/2013   8/3/2013
Review By: Daubers
Pros: nice layouts on some holes and definite potential of being a nice course
Cons: VERY poor navigation.
Tee signs missing
poor flow of course
holes miss marked
map at course is incorrect
Other Thoughts: Many holes had nice layouts but just attempting to find them really took away from it. Several are such a guessing game, and when you do find the tee it can be difficult to know what basket your throwing at, especially the ones missing tee signs or have miss marked holes. Several holes are gone due to the tornado, and that is understandable but just the general flow of the course needs some work. Maybe I am spoiled with my home course being world class, but I think a little extra effort could make GBH into a nice course.

Where do we go??? What hole is this??

2-4    6/10/2012   6/12/2012
Review By: chris deitzel
Pros: Front 9 is really nice. Nice views, some good holes. Nice shots with water in play.
Cons: So judging by reviews this course has been impossible to navigate since 2008!! COME ON GUYS. Get some new tee signs with hole numbers. I played a tournament here a few years ago and it was the worst PDGA event that I ever played. But I decided to come back this week and once again was frustrated. What the heck is going on with the local club here?

No numbers on any of the tee signs.

RULE #1 of Disc Golf - YOU DO NOT HAVE A COURSE UNTIL YOU HAVE TEE SIGNS WITH NUMBERS

Very hard to navigate. front 9 not so bad, but the back 9 is almost impossible to figure out. I quit after 12 when I came across a bunch of tee signs and baskets and had no idea where to go. And some of the holes that used to be there, were no longer there.
Other Thoughts: This could be one of the best courses in Ohio. Wish whoever designed this would get their head out of their A@@ and make this what it should be. The last shot over the water is cool, but the walk around is ridiculous. So many problems here. If you need help redesigning it, give me a call. You could have something great. Instead you just have a very frustrating course that will turn away anybody playing it for the first time.

VERY DISAPPOINTED

1    3/31/2012   3/31/2012
Review By: jchlody
Pros: -The course has nice tee pads and nice baskets.
-The course has great views along the way.
Cons: Where should I start?
-When we got there, hole 1 isn't even marked therefore we started on hole 2.
-The layout for the holes was very confusing ie couldn't easily find the next hole.
-Most holes were not marked nor did some of them even have a sign.
-A few holes we just picked a basket and threw to it, and of course it was always the wrong one.
Other Thoughts: All I can say is I will never go back to this course unless it gets a serious makeover. There is so much potential there but it doesn't seem like the park even cares enough to maintain it. They need to make sure the holes are marked and that the baskets are clearly marked as well. I drove about 40 minutes from Tiffin looking for a nice "new" course to play ended up greatly regretting it. Overall I would never suggest this course nor go back. Very disappointed.

Good Course that could be Great

1    12/26/2011   12/28/2011
Review By: scbuckifan
Pros: - In a nice park
- Good parking
- OK tee signs with an arrow toward next tee
- Hooks on tee sign stakes
- Good use of land and terrain

This has awesome potential. The Great Blue Heron DGC has a very nice mix of open, wooded, short, long, easy and hard pin placements with very nice scenery throughout the course and park. With just a little bit of work, the flow of the back 9 could (and must) be corrected and then a new map needs to make its way to this website, then all will be good and this will be a premier location. Even with the nice tee signs that do indicate the general direction of the next tee, the back 9 is a nightmare to navigate for new players to the course. Holes listed as long are now short (12) and short holes are now very long (18) and we never found hole 13.
Cons: - Overall flow of the course needs to be reviewed, esp. the back 9
- The map needs to be used to navigate the course for newbies, esp the back 9 BUT the map is not currently correct!
- Hole 12 is now much shorter, We never found Hole 13, I think Hole 18 is now 700' and we never found the basket, Hole 20 had the basket for 21 so we were very confused.
- Front 9 was easy to navigate with the map (but you do need it for the first time around) but the back 9 was totally confusing and we got "lost" at least 3 times even with the map and the previous reviews!
Other Thoughts: Course was very wet due to the very wet fall. It is playable, just have older shoes and a towel to wipe of your disks and hands. Holes 11 and 12 very wet. The course is currently playing fairly short as most pins are in the "B" location.

If you are in the Norwalk area, a stop to play the Great (Good) Blue Heron DGC is a good idea as it is a good course. We played the day after Christmas and had a fun and enjoyable day. We had the course to ourselves. Just be prepared to get lost on the confusing back 9. With just a little work, the flow can be corrected, a new map uploaded and the Great Blue Heron would move from good to Great!

P.S. If you can consistently throw over 300', have fun with the Pro Tee Pad for Hole 21 (it is scary to look at), if you can't, take the long walk around to the AM tee pad and whimp out like we did :-) - and save your $10-$15!

Fix up a few things and this is a great one

1    9/24/2011   9/26/2011
Review By: Bikinimower
Pros: Some really nice big holes
Friendly locals
Great views
Challenging
Nice park, well taken care of
Nice mix of shot types
Cons: Confusing
Poor signs
tough to navigate
Other Thoughts: This course is fun but you better bring a map or play with someone who is familiar. I just happened to get lucky and run into a friendly local player who was kind enough to stop and let us catch up and he played with us. Real cool guy, he swears by this course and thinks it's one of the best he's ever seen. I disagree with him on that one but I was certainly happy to have him around.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed this place it just needs some work. Terrible signs combined with a poor course flow makes for a frustrating round.

The holes themselves are pretty fun. They wind through a park, into the woods briefly, through several rows of pine trees and around a reservoir. It has nice tee pads, good catchers, and nice mix of distances and at times has some good views. The holes I played were fairly long but I'm told they moved for a tournament and they're normally longer. I'm a better than average player but I'm far from great and I thought the distances were just about perfect.

It has 20+ holes and they take really good care
of it. It's trash free and mowed. There were only a handful of other people there when I played and the guy I was with said it not normally busy. So you don't have to wait

I would play this course a lot if I lived nearby but I wouldn't make it a priority if your a road tripper. I also would probably stay away from this one for a while if you want to bring kids or are just learning how to play.

BLUE HERON: MADE ME BLUE

1    9/10/2010   7/13/2011
Review By: innovajohnny5
Pros: Very scenic and a joy just to walk it. If you like the hard throws this is your place. My son and I are not experienced enough to truly enjoy this course. In time. I do admit though the regulars that play this course are friendly. We ran into a fellow dger and he said he "plays here all the time". We asked where hole 3 was.....and...he drew us a map on the spot and my son and I continued playing. That was pretty cool of him. The view of the lake and inlets are quite nice. Its a nice park. The "wall of trees" is worth playing just for that.
Cons: Not well marked at all. Very confusing when we went. Maybe when they have tournaments they fix it up a bit. After that it falls apart. I dont know if its from abuse or neglect or "just for tournaments" This park could be Ohio's gem for dgers if there was someone to care for it. I live in Cleveland - don't look at me.
Other Thoughts: If you are a well experienced disc golfer, by all means you rate this course a little higher. My son (age 16 at the time) and I played here last year. We are not power throwers by any means but for the recreational dger it was a difficult course. Maybe in a few years we might appreciate the challenge more. It was frustrating. Especially trying to throw over the inlet at 300 plus feet-not so much. ker plunk! If you are not well seasoned with disc golf don't try the course expecting good results. It is definitely a course for the advanced players. Do I regret going? heck no. My son and I had a blast as we always do. The look he gave me when I double bogied on #17 was priceless. Play Great Blue Heron! It's worth it even if you only do it one time.

Nice start

1    6/21/2011   6/21/2011
Review By: BunkWilly74
This review was updated on 6/27/2011
Pros: What can I say I think the first hole was ok that's about it.
Cons: There is so much wasted space, it's like they were throwing darts and sticking baskets on a map. The signage is horrible; each basket should be clearly marked. I would suggest the local club be more involved maybe even contacting Innova's design team to help renovate this sleeping giant. This park has the potential with the right design to be one of the top courses in North East Ohio.
Other Thoughts: The goal is to grow the sport! This course has potential!

Appropriately named

1    6/5/2011   6/19/2011
Review By: Petercules
Pros: Large variety of distances and throw options.
Beautiful lake and scenery with allot of activity.
Long tee pads
I am struggling to think of specific pros but the course well designed and extremely enjoyable.
Cons: We got confused on holes 2-7 on which baskets we were supposed to be aiming for. This did not really hurt our competition since everyone aimed for the wrong baskets but just wish we would have played the course as it was designed.
Some holes have thick brush making it difficult to find discs. This is particularly true about Hole #3 since you can not see where your disc lands after you drive.
Other Thoughts: I am not particularly fond of Hole #19 Pluto's Mando Island. I don't like mandos and don't like roads being out of bounds so this hole combines my two pet peeves and multiplies them by 3. This is a personal issue that I am sure others disagree with and that is why it is not a con of the course just my personal opinion. Really to you it might be a pro of the course.

Great potential

1    4/30/2011   5/2/2011
Review By: Brall
This review was updated on 6/13/2012
Pros: - Plenty of parking with a pavilion, tables and playground
- There is a billboard with a scorecard holder but it is blank
- The map is very accurate except for holes #12 & #13 which are currently being moved (04-30-11)
- There are multiple tees on about half the holes but the short tees can be hard to find
- Pro tee pads are in great condition and most of them are large and concrete. The concrete tee pads are just FANTASTIC!!
- Very nice tee signs with posts and hooks to hang your bag
- Baskets are in great condition and most are marked
- The flow is a bit jerky for the first 7 holes but hole #1 & #21 do start/end at the parking lot
- Excellent scenery. Great rolling landscape. The rows of trees by holes #14 & #20 are just amazing!
- Very nice mix of shots required here. Shots run left & right & over rough. There are some blind shots, tunnel shots and open shots. This course can play differently every time you come.
- Distance and elevation make this course challenging. There are five holes over 500' combined with five holes below 300'. There are 4 holes that play over or right at water.
- Bathrooms are located between hole #1 & #2
- There are trashcans at the parking lot and the park is very clean and well kept. Could use a few more trashcans though throughout the course.
- Very little vandalism. A few tee signs are dinged up is all.
- There are a few benches
Cons: - No numbers on most tee signs. Due to the somewhat jerky flow of the course, it would be very difficult to navigate your first time without a map.
- Am tees are not marked well at all
- More next tee signs would be helpful
- Heavy traffic. You will have to stop often to let cars and walkers pass by. Be patient.
Other Thoughts: - Fantastic course overall. Beautiful and very challenging. Bring the family for a picnic and then hit the course with your friends.
- Unfortunately there are no other courses nearby and the course is itself is in a remote location away from highways.
- There was some major confusion on 04-30-11 on holes #12 & #13. The holes, tee signs & map did not match. I did not count this against the course because I think this is due to a downed tree for #13's hanging basket.
- The most challenging hole is without a doubt hole #21. It takes a 310' throw just to get over the water from the pro tee and there can be some heavy wind off the wide open water.
- Hard to choose a favorite hole. This course is loaded with signature holes! #2 is a nice wide open hole with the challenge of water to the left. #5 goes out over the water with a fade back in to land. #3 is a blind shot that ends with a basket in an alcove of the trees. #14 & #20 are in one of the most beautiful tree groves I've seen. #19 is an extremely creative short hole with multiple mando conditions to meet and a drop zone.
- If the cons are ever fixed on this course, it could bring in a 4.5 star rating.
- This is a destination course. Worth trip and bring the family.