Safety Harbor, FL
Gregg Paas Memorial DGC Share
Uploaded By: gottafixit Hole #1 (Taken 9/2009)
3 / 219ft.   3 / 270ft.   3 / 303ft.   3 / 320ft. Par / Distance:

First Church of the Flying Discs

2-4    6/10/2013   4/29/2012
Review By: RussMB
This review was updated on 6/11/2013
Pros: See Update under "Other Thoughts".

-Entry level course on Church property

This is one of my few reviews that I don't feel the need to break down in to points. It' is an entry level course, and it would be good for the church, to whom the property belongs. Beginners, Kids, and non-players should enjoy the course. Though it will probably be the regulars that know this course, will enjoy it for what it is. Church functions may get good use out of this course, as well as players from the local neighborhood. It's also located near Cliff Stephens and NE coachman, so it could be a good place to warm up.
Tip: As you are coming into the church parking lot, before you get to the parking area on the left, look to the right. You'll see a path way into the woods. That is where the #2 Fairway starts. Since there is no #1 basket, it's hard to figure out where to start.
Cons: The course is very overgrown, and you could spend a lot of time looking for your discs in the tall overgrown grass. The first basket is still missing, and supposedly there are teepads. The missing basket also makes it hard to locate where the course actually starts. We found one Red marker. It was a small flat plate on the ground. We didn't see any more of them, but there were a lot of leaves on the ground. A little TLC here could go a long here on this course. Then again, the locals may know this course backwards and forwards.
Other Thoughts: UPDATE 6/10/2013 I went out to play this course again, just cause it had been awhile since my last visit. I walked all over that course, and there was not a basket to be found. Teepads are still there, but I didn't see one basket. I feel bad for the church if they were all stolen. If that's the case, I really hope they catch the punks that stole the baskets. If they were pulled for some reason, please let me know and I will remove this updated. Hope for a quick return!

I'm not going to be harsh on this course, because someone put the effort into installing a course. A course that actually does have some potential to be more than it is. (keyword:Potential) I'm just going to say that it is what it is, so before you decide to play here know what you are getting into. It's small, overgrown, and it comes with its frustrations. The only reason I played here was to get another notch in the proverbial played belt. Now I do think it would be very cool to attend a church that had a Disc Golf course. So major kudos to the church for installing the course. If there is some TLC given here, trim back the grass, and replace #1 Basket it would be a decent little place to play. They make these changes, I would be willing to boost my rating.
Final thought: If you are in the neighborhood, you want to add a notch to your "Played" belt, and you are willing to deal with the frustrations, then give it a try.

Could be an Amazing Course

1    12/28/2011   12/29/2011
Review By: arajski
Pros: It's free. That's about it.
Cons: Grounds - The grounds are not kept up at all. The weeds and plants have flooded some fairways making them unplayable. Mostly all of the carpet tee pads are drowning in dirt and plants. It is a shame because the course would be an amazing little 9 hole course with decent varied and fun lanes.

Completion - The basket to hole one was stolen. Not really playable. (I couldn't find the pads anyway)

Environment - I spent more time looking for the next hole and picking plant stickers off my shorts than actually playing disc golf. I couldn't find the first hole and it took so long to play 2-7 that I left before I tried to play 8 and 9.

Signage - I saw two signs that kind of helped. But with the tee pads being buried, it didn't matter.
Other Thoughts: This course could be amazing. I agree with other reviewers, this could be a great training course if it was taken care of. I would make a stop at this course before or after Cliff Stevens just for fun if it were cleaned up.