Norman, OK
Griffin Park Share
Uploaded By: Heathen Hole #16 (Taken 4/2009)
Hole #16 Approach

Griffin Park...

2-4    5/27/2012   6/21/2012
Review By: eye-ball-sac
Pros: This course offers a challenge to a wide variety of players. There are a good mix of holes. There are some short, technical holes that would be tough for the power players, and then there are some long, open drives that would be tough for the players with just a short game. Then there are the holes that take aspects from both. It's a line that's tough to hit, and it's long. There's also a good variety in hole shape. There's a great balance between hyzer and anhyzer shots. I felt like I threw every disc in my bag those rounds. Even though there weren't any super short easy ace holes, there were still several opportunities to get an ace. Hitting the basket during a tournament can really bring your mood up from a crappy round. Hills were used very nicely. Hole 18 comes to mind. You're teeing off from the top of a big hill and it's a huge drive that you can really air it out. Besides the dog park in the early holes, disc golf is pretty much the only thing there. You won't have to worry about joggers or bikers at this course. Pin placements were very good at this course. Hole 8 was on top of a huge mound and made putting for a birdie very challenging. A lot of other pins were guarded by four or five trees, giving what would be an easy hole some challenge by requiring a good placement of your drive.

Long pads were concrete and short pads were natural. Both were very easy to tee off from. Baskets were Chainstar and worked great. No spit-outs when I played. There were a few water pumps around the course.
Cons: Signs were not very good at all. Some of the holes seemed kind of pointless and just trying to get you to the next hole. The walk from 18 to the parking lot was ridiculous. I don't remember seeing any bathrooms at the course. The rough was very thick and hard to get out of (or even get to your disc!).
Other Thoughts: This course is a great complement to Lions park. There are some open holes to air it out, but they were balanced by the short, technical holes. Overall, I loved this course. I had a great time playing there, and I would definitely play this again.

-------------------------
If you mark this review unhelpful or you find a mistake, please send me a personal message here on DGCR explaining what is wrong with it.

Pleasant Surprise in OKC

1    6/15/2012   6/15/2012
Review By: GT Chris
This review was updated on 8/3/2013
Pros: This course offers a fantastic mix of holes. Open, tight, left, right, straight, uphill, and downhill. These holes flow together quite well, in that I never reached for the same disc or shot for more than two holes in a row. A number of holes had multiple routes, each with its own benefits and drawbacks to test shot selection and execution.

Cosmetically, the fairways were nicely maintained, most holes had dual pads and the long pads were cement on all holes except 18. A number of holes also had some custom seating, which was a unique touch that I enjoyed.
Cons: Signage was lacking, and many holes were mis-numbered. I certainly would have lost track if I hadn't been keeping score. I also failed to find the long pad on 4, and had to do a bit of walking to find a few more of the long pads.
Other Thoughts: Short pads were natural, but I played the longs so I can't comment on their quality. Standout hole is #8, "Mt. Kuhar" as I called it. The basket is perched atop a mound 15' tall, so any missed putt is likely to cost you. Run it at your own risk.

Overall, Griffin park is a fairly challenging and well balanced par three course. I would have preferred some longer, true par 4s and 5s, but I am not certain that would be feasible given land constraints. It is in my opinion the best course in OKC, and I definitely recommend stopping by if you're in the area.

Bonus - Turns out my brother put my putt on hole 8 on Youtube. That was my birdie putt, and I did get up and down to save four.

Fun and challenging

5+    1/5/2012   1/5/2012
Review By: rwmurrow
Pros: Lots of challenge in this course. You can really air out some shots. You use many types of throws throughout. Not very crowded. There are TWO TEEBOXES for most holes! Sometimes the "red" tee is a completely different shot, making for some awesome new holes.
Cons: This course only has cons if your a baby. JK. This is a long course and can be very tiring. Not very beginner friendly.

Just Beginning

2-4    7/21/2009   7/22/2009
Review By: okiebullgod
Pros: Keep in mind I'm writing this review as a beginner. I've probably only played a half dozen rounds. The course is less crowded than others in the area (a plus since not as many people can watch you shank one), it's also easier to follow the holes than others in Norman. This course will teach you to throw straight or pay the consequences. Also, there are a couple of well water hydrants on the front 9.
Cons: There is some dirt work and construction going on, but they have made some fun interim holes. In my mind the only cons are the "stick tights" the little burrs that stick all over you. As long as you stay on the fairway it's not a problem though
Other Thoughts: This course was much more suitable to me to learn on than Colonial was. It is easier to follow and less crowded.

Griffin Park - Jan 08

1/7/2008   1/7/2008
Review By: theculturedredneck
Pros: Challenging distance, well-manicured fairways, excellent utilization of the landscape to create a variety of hole layouts, concrete tee boxes, clean/free from trash, signage at both box & pin to indicate # and/or distance.
Cons: too much emphasis on anhyzer lines off the tee for my taste. 13 cage was unplayable due to a fallen tree (due to a recent ice-storm, i expect it will be repaired soon). though the course usually follows a logical progression, some difficulty findings tees/cages for a first-timer. some tight fairways are almost guaranteed to bar par under windy conditions. No maps on tees or at course entrance (though there is one available at normandiscgolf.com)
Other Thoughts: It's pleasure to walk the trails in the quiet of Griffin Park. The designer did an excellent job of "isolating" each hole that gives the pacing and feel of a quality ball-golf course. I was pleased to see that several tees are sheltered to disallow tomahawk bombs that preclude playing the course. I was told the grass gets overgrown in the summer, but the fairways were outstanding today (excepting 14 and 17). Some fairways are overly tight in the winter surely making navigation off the tee next-to-impossible when the foliage grows. If true, lost discs and a frustrating day would surely follow.

I don't mind bogey (or double, or triple!) on tough holes, but the margin of error seems to be too narrow on some holes for anything but the top am or pro ranks when weather conditions are less than ideal.