Columbus, OH
Griggs Reservoir Park Share
Uploaded By: roadtripstuff Hole #6 (Taken 6/2009)

Not Worth the Drive

5+    8/7/2013   8/9/2013
Review By: ForehandAnhyzer
Pros: - Griggs is clean and well maintained
- A Decent walkabout
- Some decently long holes
- Concrete tee pads
Cons: - Griggs is very boring and samey
- Most all shots are straight ahead shots on an open fairway
- Confusing to navigate to the next hole
- Crowded and with more than just people trying to disc
- Risk throwing your disc into the water or onto the busy street on several holes.
Other Thoughts: Griggs, to me, is certainly off the list of places to play. It is too far away from where I am and it is just not worth the effort to play. Hoover is a hundred times better of an option. Griggs used to be a bit of a shithole back in the day, glad to see it is now nice and cleaned up, but it still suffers from being contained in its long, rectangular strip of land. All the holes are essentially the same with no real difference throughout the course. I applaud it for being clean, but it is just too boring and not worth the drive.
Also, not sure about others' experiences, but when I played here last, my dog started freaking out - she was getting stung by bees, so I lay my bag down to go try to help her, and when I look back at my bag, my bag is swarmed with bees. We spent 10 minutes trying to find a long enough stick/hatch a plan to get it. I have never before seen anything like this. And this was right around the basket of one of the holes, right next to the walking path. So this is my own experience and anecdote, but I am just wondering if anyone else has been swarmed with bees while discing at Griggs! And they were angry, my friend. Anyway, all of this considered, it is enough to keep me away from Griggs. I would rather take my chances at losing a disc at Simsbury, or practice my form at Evans park for a while than make the drive to UA for a big "Meh!"

Nothing special

5+    5/1/2013   5/4/2013
Review By: Puckstopper
Pros: Concrete Tee pads

Close proximity to a good disc golf store.
Cons: Damaged/missing/inaccurate signs

Boring layout frequently overrun by non discer's who don't understand that their leisurely stroll along the river is forcing you to either wait to throw or risk hitting them.

Jogging/Bike trail runs right though the center of the course, basically dividing it in two lengthwise. This forces the same decisions as I mentioned in the previous con.

Long "out and back" layout with tees close together in some places, and too close to pins in others.
Other Thoughts: Overall Griggs is a solid beginners course, with it's open layout and few trees to punish errant shots. Unfortunately it's proximity to OSU's campus ensures it's frequently crowded with players of all levels, which makes using it as a training ground for newer players problematic.

There are two weekly doubles leagues here as well, so don't bother trying to get on Monday or Wednesday evenings unless you want to play doubles. On the bright side most of the players in these leagues are friendly and welcoming to newcomers, so don't be afraid to come out.

While having to wait on other users of the park to clear your throwing lanes can be frustrating, there is a decent amount of "scenery" on the trail, so it's not always bad.

I'd really like to rate Griggs higher, but other than doubles or tossing a few holes to test a disc I bought at Disc Golf Mart I really don't play here. Mainly this is because Griggs is lacking in personality, and just doesn't have anything that makes it stand out above the crowd in Columbus. When I'm deciding where to play a round, it's just never what I think of. If I want to stay close to Columbus at the cost of dealing with crowds I'll go play Hoover, and have a more memorable round. If I really want to play a good course I'll head down to Pickerington and hit up Simsbury.

Rough

1    6/9/2012   6/11/2012
Review By: catchermccord
Pros: -Good, solid tee pads
-Nice baskets
-Disc Golf Mart is just down the road
Cons: -Signage, if not stolen/missing, is horrible on each hole
-No course map
-No "next tee" signs
-No hole #s on the baskets, difficult to tell which hole is which
Other Thoughts: I was not a fan of Griggs Reservior. I live about an hour away and it was the first course I have played at in Columbus so there isn't much to compare it to with the surrounding area (having a disc golf store down the road is a nice plus, highly recommend going there). The course has many similar holes. and nothing that is a real challenge except distance. If you are looking to play a round in Columbus, I wouldn't recommend this course because I am sure there is something better near by (Hoover).

At the Griggs

1    8/13/2011   8/13/2011
Review By: Foofoohead
Pros: Very good tee pads!
Like the rough lines on the ends of the tee pads.
Good use of surrounding trees.
Cons: Difficult to determine course flow that first time.
No course maps or individual hole maps.
Parking lot is a mess! (Pot holes, etc,)
Grass needed mowed!
Very level course needs some elevation changes!
Other Thoughts: Could be a good course just needs some maintenance and clean up. Construction in the area also messes things up. Out and back design is pretty boring!