Fort Scott, KS
Gunn Park Share
Uploaded By: breaking the chains Hole #13 (Taken 4/2013)
3 / 174ft.   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Everyday course.

5+    1/5/2016   1/27/2016
Review By: RippH
Pros: It has plenty of different length holes and elevation change. The course is laid out in a way that the next hole is easy to find where ever you are.
Cons: Hole 6 is anywhere from a normal length hole to a ridiculously long "par3"
Watch out for the pond on holes 7 and 9.
Other Thoughts: It's a good course and they change the baskets several times per season.

Great local course

5+    11/28/2015   12/6/2015
Review By: JohnDeere
Pros: This course offers a lot of shot selection and is very difficult to shoot good at. It is pretty simple and straightforward towards OB and mandos. It offers length (6,8,12,16), wooded shots (1,2,14,15), and elevation changes (2,13,14,16,18).
Cons: Not much cons but there's a few
poor navigation- #9-#10 is not easy to find if your not a local. It plays to the right of 9s basket by the ponds fishing dock.
lacks updates on tee signs- I play this course regulary and they move the baskets A LOT, while this offers variety of shot selection it can become confusing even for locals. The holes that have baskets protected or too far to see, you might end up shooting to the wrong pin. The tee signs show A and B but most of the time they're never in both so then you end up guessing which to shoot for. This could be easily fixed with my next point
No course map- this needs to be put in by the parking lot showing the course's layout also need to add an A and B marker so when they switch the holes around we know where they are
Other Thoughts: Overall great course it seems like a lot of negatives but they're really isn't its just me being picky. This goes along with my pros but here's a hole rundown in the short position
1. Tight wooded shot downhill at the end
2. Downhill then back uphill to the left about 300
3. Dog leg left 250
4. Low ceiling 275 shot
5. Straight shot with pin gaurded uphill in the woods around 325
6. Wide open bomber 450
7. Straight shot in the woods 300
8. Elevated tee pad dogleg left back up the hill probably hardest hole on the course in the short position 250
9. Straight shot pond to the right 275
6. Adds 225ft finishes by the pond
8. Adds 250 ft uphill finish
12. Adds 75 ft
13. If you get on top of the hill you have a 50ft birdie put adds 50ft
16. Adds 125ft pin protected by bushes most of time you will have to turbo putt it

Not too shabby

1    9/9/2014   9/23/2014
Review By: jjp016
Pros: It has some variety. There are elevation changes. Nice, long tee pads.
Cons: Many baskets are too close together causing confusion.
Other Thoughts: One could either love this course or feel only so-so about it depending on personal preferences.

One of the best in Southeast KS

1    5/1/2013   5/1/2013
Review By: Chained Evil
Pros: The variety of shots at this course is its best asset. There is adequate signage and the tee pads are ample as well. This course offers different types of shots including, uphill, downhill, dog legs, long and short holes, as well as guarded pins and open holes.
The front 9 has new DGA baskets that are painted blue. Also the grounds were well maintained upon my visit. The park itself was nice and peaceful and my round was enjoyable.
Here are my hole observations:
1-a short hole, nice hole to warm up on
2-shoots over a little ravine with a stream in the middle
3-is a hard dog leg to the left
4-is a straight shot
5-has moderate length
6-downhill bomber hole with the pond behind the basket
7-has trees that protect the basket
8-was an elevated tee shot, the basket was in the long position on my visit, and had length
9-has water to the right side of the hole
10-you tee off by the pond with a sharp dog leg right and a mando off the box
11-is a short hole
12-is a longer hole with the basket in the trees and it is surrounded by tall grass
13-short uphill shot
14-slightly downhill
15-has a stream that comes into play, assuming the water is up that day
16-is short and open hole
17-dog legs right with the basket tucked into the trees
18-finishes up shooting downhill
Cons: Printing off the map and taking it with you would be strongly advised for the first time player. Once you find the first tee, which is south of a little campground, it flows pretty decently. We did however shoot at #14's basket thinking it was #10's, but other than that mistake the flow wasn't too bad.
You will be playing next to and over the roads that run along side and through the park, so look before you throw. In my opinion the yellow baskets aren't that bad, believe it or not they aren't the worst I've seen. With that said I would have liked to have the same DGA's that the front nine had all the way through to keep consistent when putting. They did their job however and I don't recall any spit outs.
The low lying area will become very wet after a good rain so be prepared.
Other Thoughts: I recently played this course during a 2 day 9 course roadtrip through SouthEast Ks, and out of all of the course on my trip this was by far my favorite course. It offers good variety and was challenging at the same time. I would definitely play this course again, however I just don't get to this area very much. Its too bad that this course is so far away from home because I enjoyed what it has to offer. If you are in the area I would recommend that you stop by and give it a play. I think you will like what it has to offer.

5+    1/6/2013   1/18/2013
Review By: nrs41695
Pros: Honestly I feel this course has a little bit of everything a course could offer. There are holes where elevation comes into play, plenty of trees you have to worry about, and even some water hazards on a few holes. Lots of birdie potential holes along with a lot of holes where your distance game comes into play. Several holes have multiple pin positions which makes it nice to try and work on different shots for a particular hole. It's a great course and if anyone is coming through Southeast, Ks it's a great course to try out.
Cons: The biggest con I would say is poor navigation. Lots of people I've seen just start on a random hole because they have no clue where hole #1 is located. I'm a local so I always try to help a group or individuals if they are having difficulty finding their way around the course. Recently the course layout was changed so what once was the back nine is now the front nine. Which just makes it more difficult for anyone who isn't a local to find where to begin their round. Tee signs aren't very accurate also but for the time being they are better than nothing at all. Another con is the old yellow basket for the NOW back nine. They are pretty ancient and scary to putt at not going to lie. We are in the process of coming up with funds to replace them hopefully in the very near future.
Other Thoughts: The course isn't perfect but every course has areas for improvement. We are in the process of starting up a disc golf club that will hopefully put us in the running to create tournaments which will help bring funds so we can build our course to the high quality we someday wish to bring it to.

Hidden Gem

5+    5/15/2011   5/19/2011
Review By: aaronjohn_9
This review was updated on 5/10/2015
Pros: Gunn Park is a great course. Gunn Park by itself is beautiful. This course challenges you with multiply shots and distances. It has a variety of wide open to technical holes. The alternate pins makes the course much better and adds more variety. The city of Fort Scott does a great job of keeping the park in good shape. New tee markers are nice. Some yardage are alittle off, I use a gps app on my phone that gives accurate yardage. The disc golf club has done an excellent job of improving the course, wish the city and rec dept. highlight the course more.
Cons: There needs to be a map of the course somewhere at the park. Parking can sometimes be an issue. The arent enough organized leagues or tournaments. The city of Fort Scott does not advertise enough about the course.

Good Variety

2-4    9/1/2010   10/1/2010
Review By: jayhawker737
This review was updated on 1/3/2013
Pros: Variety of shots. The front nine has some short and technical and some long and open holes. Front 9 baskets are in good shape. Signage is good.
Cons: The back nine baskets are in rough shape and are scary to shoot at. Finding hole 1 is tough if no one is there to help you.
Other Thoughts: Once you get started the course flows fairly well. I have only played here for one complete day now, but the people seem friendly and willing to help out.

5+    2/22/2010   2/22/2010
Review By: Iberian_55
Pros: I am partial to this course, as I live within walking distance. Variety there is plentiful. As a NuBe to the sport I find it an enjoyable couple hours of play.
Cons: There needs to be more course information.
The Parks Dept. or City has no information at all. (I know ~ lotsa calls leading nowhere.
Vandalism has destroyed all but two Tee-signs.
Other Thoughts: I myself am going to try getting distances and such.
I do know that there will be alternate hole locations this year. The posts have been set.
***If you're in the vicinity~ PM me and we can set up a round... Iberian_55

Gunn Park

1    6/14/2009   6/15/2009
Review By: Marshall M
Pros: Some Very good holes.
Decent Elevation changes.
Good Variety of holes, from wooded to wide open and flat to sloped.
Cons: No markings, I played by myself, it was a rainy day and no locals around. I would highly recomend joining some locals your first time around. I'm pretty sure I found the correct tees and baskets, but it took a little wondering around.
Other Thoughts: Front nine is old with old baskets, Back nine is new, or at least has new baskets.

I took me a little while to find hole 10 (back nine). The back nine plays around the pond so from 9 start walking clockwise around the pond, as soon as you pass the camp sites you'll find the tee for 10.
Pretty well rounded course, some markings would instantly up the rating,