Fort Scott, KS
Gunn Park Share
Uploaded By: breaking the chains Hole #12 (Taken 4/2013)
3 / 421ft.   -- / -- Par / Distance:

One of the best in Southeast KS

1    5/1/2013   5/1/2013
Review By: Chained Evil
Pros: The variety of shots at this course is its best asset. There is adequate signage and the tee pads are ample as well. This course offers different types of shots including, uphill, downhill, dog legs, long and short holes, as well as guarded pins and open holes.
The front 9 has new DGA baskets that are painted blue. Also the grounds were well maintained upon my visit. The park itself was nice and peaceful and my round was enjoyable.
Here are my hole observations:
1-a short hole, nice hole to warm up on
2-shoots over a little ravine with a stream in the middle
3-is a hard dog leg to the left
4-is a straight shot
5-has moderate length
6-downhill bomber hole with the pond behind the basket
7-has trees that protect the basket
8-was an elevated tee shot, the basket was in the long position on my visit, and had length
9-has water to the right side of the hole
10-you tee off by the pond with a sharp dog leg right and a mando off the box
11-is a short hole
12-is a longer hole with the basket in the trees and it is surrounded by tall grass
13-short uphill shot
14-slightly downhill
15-has a stream that comes into play, assuming the water is up that day
16-is short and open hole
17-dog legs right with the basket tucked into the trees
18-finishes up shooting downhill
Cons: Printing off the map and taking it with you would be strongly advised for the first time player. Once you find the first tee, which is south of a little campground, it flows pretty decently. We did however shoot at #14's basket thinking it was #10's, but other than that mistake the flow wasn't too bad.
You will be playing next to and over the roads that run along side and through the park, so look before you throw. In my opinion the yellow baskets aren't that bad, believe it or not they aren't the worst I've seen. With that said I would have liked to have the same DGA's that the front nine had all the way through to keep consistent when putting. They did their job however and I don't recall any spit outs.
The low lying area will become very wet after a good rain so be prepared.
Other Thoughts: I recently played this course during a 2 day 9 course roadtrip through SouthEast Ks, and out of all of the course on my trip this was by far my favorite course. It offers good variety and was challenging at the same time. I would definitely play this course again, however I just don't get to this area very much. Its too bad that this course is so far away from home because I enjoyed what it has to offer. If you are in the area I would recommend that you stop by and give it a play. I think you will like what it has to offer.

5+    1/6/2013   1/18/2013
Review By: nrs41695
Pros: Honestly I feel this course has a little bit of everything a course could offer. There are holes where elevation comes into play, plenty of trees you have to worry about, and even some water hazards on a few holes. Lots of birdie potential holes along with a lot of holes where your distance game comes into play. Several holes have multiple pin positions which makes it nice to try and work on different shots for a particular hole. It's a great course and if anyone is coming through Southeast, Ks it's a great course to try out.
Cons: The biggest con I would say is poor navigation. Lots of people I've seen just start on a random hole because they have no clue where hole #1 is located. I'm a local so I always try to help a group or individuals if they are having difficulty finding their way around the course. Recently the course layout was changed so what once was the back nine is now the front nine. Which just makes it more difficult for anyone who isn't a local to find where to begin their round. Tee signs aren't very accurate also but for the time being they are better than nothing at all. Another con is the old yellow basket for the NOW back nine. They are pretty ancient and scary to putt at not going to lie. We are in the process of coming up with funds to replace them hopefully in the very near future.
Other Thoughts: The course isn't perfect but every course has areas for improvement. We are in the process of starting up a disc golf club that will hopefully put us in the running to create tournaments which will help bring funds so we can build our course to the high quality we someday wish to bring it to.

5+    2/22/2010   2/22/2010
Review By: Iberian_55
Pros: I am partial to this course, as I live within walking distance. Variety there is plentiful. As a NuBe to the sport I find it an enjoyable couple hours of play.
Cons: There needs to be more course information.
The Parks Dept. or City has no information at all. (I know ~ lotsa calls leading nowhere.
Vandalism has destroyed all but two Tee-signs.
Other Thoughts: I myself am going to try getting distances and such.
I do know that there will be alternate hole locations this year. The posts have been set.
***If you're in the vicinity~ PM me and we can set up a round... Iberian_55