Tulsa (Broken Arrow), OK
Haikey Creek Park Share
Uploaded By: Aggiepi Hole #4 (Taken 10/2012)

1 2 Next >

2-4    6/16/2010   9/7/2010
Review By: Janbobbo
Pros: Located in a nice park with a bunch of big trees. The design of the course is well thought out and gives you a good and fair challenge on each hole. The course was well maintained and the tees were in good shape.
Cons: The course lacks elevation changes and although the holes are well designed, the park just not exciting enough to offer any signature holes that you will remember for a long time.
Other Thoughts: I participated in Haikey Creek Classic 2010 and while I'm not sure which 12 holes are part of the original course or if infact there are 18 playable holes during all time we played 24 holes so my review is based on that. This course deserves the 3.5 considering it's so well thought out and designed on a piece of land which is not ideal for a top quality disc golf course. With that in mind I don't see so much potential in improving the course that much.

Nice, well-kept park

1    7/15/2010   7/15/2010
Review By: Hamilton
Pros: Many concrete tee pads (but not all), plenty of length and in great shape. Mach baskets in pretty good condition. Tee signs are mostly there, but I was told by a local that the course had some holes removed, and now was back up to 18. It was apparent that many of the holes had been recently rearranged. Even so, it was not hard to navigate, other than knowing that after hole 4, you have to cross the street for 5-7, than back across for 8-18.

The grounds appear well-maintained and recently mown, although curiously a large patch of 2's fairway seemed have been just "left" uncut in the most recent mowing. I noticed a couple other spots that were conspicuously un-mowed, looking like they just missed it.

As stated in another review, the pictures made me believe that the course was more heavily treed than it was. There are quite a few big trees (which pose as obstacles on many holes), but overall it is pretty open.

My memorable holes:
8 - Shortest hole on the course, so you'd think it's simple, right? You'd be wrong though, there is a wall of trees standing between you and the basket, with very few holes with which to thread the needle.
9 - Tunnel shot off the tee, then it just keeps going and going, over 500 feet to a basket out in the open. It takes a near perfect shot off the tee just to have an open upshot to the basket!
13 - Sweet, well-defined, right curving fairway lined with tall trees, perfect for a gentle RHBH flex shot. Basket is just shy of some thick shule on the bank of Haikey Creek, so don't overthrow your upshot.
14 - Long carry off the tee over open field toward a stand of trees. What you can't tell from the tee though is that the basket is not actually just "among" the trees, the trees line a small stream and the basket is on the other side. One of the few holes I've see where you can clearly see the basket, but I don't think ANYONE will ever ace it.
17 - Longest hole on the course at over 600 feet. Throw over a lot of open ground before approaching a basket surrounded on all side by a number of large trees with low-hanging branches.
Cons: Like most of the other courses I've played in Tulsa, Haikey also suffers from a lack of formidable terrain. Pretty much trees and some small streams are all you have to deal with, and it's almost perfectly flat.

The "added" holes across the road appear to be just that, "extra" holes that were just thrown in. Also, on all of the relocated holes, there is just a worn spot where people have been throwing from, just in front of the signs. Those tee boxes are not marked at all, which will work short term, as I assume they will eventually get concrete pads like the other holes.

Tee signs look somewhat thrown together, as I assume just about every basket was moved in the shuffle, and only white duct tape with marker writing denotes the new distance and hole name. At least the distances seem pretty accurate.
Other Thoughts: My rating of a 3 could be improved to a 3.5 if they tee signs would be re-done and the missing concrete tees installed. This course just didn't have a lot of real estate to deal with, but for the most part uses what obstacles are there to its advantage and creates a real challenge to a clear line on most holes.

I see in another review that the address may be off, but I used the GPS coordinates and they were spot-on. I also could not find any kind of map or hole layout, obviously since many of the holes were rearranged that might not yet have been created. That being said, course navigation was still not a problem.

This course is just minutes off the highway, and is most definitely worth the time to play if you are in the vicinity.

Memorable Century Mark

1    3/17/2009   6/9/2009
Review By: DGtourist
Pros: Nice and shady. In a well maintained park. The holes have honest length. There is a local route in the back part of the course that add in the missing holes. I did not take the time to learn it, but judging from the crowds I encountered, it should not be hard to recruit somebody who will show it to you. Parking is very close to the first tee. The tee pads are paved and there are signs. The best holes were the southern ones that found the narrow alleys of trees. My experience was pleasant and I found it to be recharging before I headed out to the next course. There are some water and out of bounds hazards that make play more fun. I don't know if this is common but the temperature was slightly cooler than in Tulsa when I played there.
Cons: From what I understand, the most interesting holes on the original course are now dead. There were some large soaking wide puddles in the grass along a few of the holes in the fairways as a result of poor drainage. Twelve is somewhat of a strange number of holes. You have to be careful driving into the park because the course crosses the street on the parks main drive right at the turn from the main road. The few pictures on this site made me believe that the course has more trees than it really does, the tree density is actually more like that of a normal park course. The description says "championship caliber" I'd say that is a tad bit hyperbole. For example, I don't remember any benches, and most of the holes were wide open.
Other Thoughts: I had a local guide, so my mostly positive experience should be discounted some because I got the privilege to play with a kid who had played five consecutive rounds before he paired up with me. As a result of that I got to learn some great routs to the basket. I will never forget this course because it was the 100th course I bagged.

Haikey Creek Park

1    5/21/2009   5/24/2009
Review By: Marshall M
Pros: Well maintained mature park.
Good, pads, signs, layout.
Good mix of short and long holes.
Cons: Only 12 holes. I talked to some locals and they said after an ice storm hit Tulsa some time back, the city closed off the other holes that go through the trees down by the creek (awesome looking area).
Other Thoughts: I put the Haikey creek park address in my gps and it took me to a ball field park just north of the course. If you go by the address keep going South and you cant miss the course.

Relaxing challenge

1    3/18/2009   3/18/2009
Review By: safetyman42
Pros: Concrete Tee Pads, Great variety of holes, great shade for the most part, amazing signs
Cons: Can be muddy, lots of other activities going on around you, the road that runs right along holes 1 through 11
Other Thoughts: Really fun course and not bad for beginners until the later holes in the course

Good Challenge

4/22/2008   4/22/2008
Review By: gravedigger
Pros: Concrete tee pads. Challenging shots required. Great signs.
Cons: Can be crowded, stays wet for a while. Things get real muddy at one point. Poison ivy is an issue time to time.
Other Thoughts: Has a mammoth of a creek that I would recommend staying clearly away from.

1 2 Next >