1 Helpful / 0 Not
Beautiful Course full of Variety
Pros: I love this course, it has many different challenges. Several holes are hard to see around sunset so make sure you have an idea where they are before you begin. A few holes are currently under construction a little bit, but otherwise a great course. It is located in a wide open park with some holes located in a wooded and hilly area. Hole #1 is located just off the right side of the parking lot.
Cons: I had a hard time locating the direction a few of the baskets were in even after looking at the map located on the tee. This could have been due to the fact that it was near sunset. Went out on a Thursday late afternoon and there were only a few other golfers there.
Other Thoughts: Once a few of the holes have there construction finished this could be a really fun and challenging course to play!
1 of 1 people found this review helpful.
1 Helpful / 3 Not
Pros: You will need every throw
Not a lot of traffic
Tourneys are fair
Cons: Some of the hills require a Sherpa (for me...I'm fat)
Water holes are diabolical
When un-mowed, grass will eat your discs
Placement of #3 basket is Sadistic...move it back.
Other Thoughts: Home Course...still learning the game. This course will force you into learning all the throws.
1 of 4 people found this review helpful.
6 Helpful / 1 Not
Billy Goat Ranch #2
Pros: 1) Nice trapezoidal concrete teepads . . . best in the business!!! Watch for the colored posts on the ground for the old tees (red and blue).
2) Nice new Houck Signs, I thoroughly enjoyed being a tra/elling disc golfer in Texas because of Houck's signs.
3) Creek comes into play on at least 4 or 5 holes. I always welcome the added challenge of some risk/reward with water.
4) Shelter a/ailable near the parking lot and the first hole.
5) #13 is a really unique hole and I had a real good ace run on it because the disc was 10' past the basket! I lo/e anhyzer shots!!!!
6) Donor marble plaques are a nice touch.
7) Blue post in the ground near the tee areas help with na/igation.
8) Nice use of ele/ation on this course.
9) Good balance of shots and obstacles on this course, lots of different shots needed here, and simply a well designed course that will challenge you from beginning to end, but you will enjoy the challenge.
10) Bathrooms a/ailable near the parking lot. Entrance sign to the course is nice to see along with a rules sign.
6) Interesting use of a major power line row . . . I ha/e seent his in TX a few times and it was really well done here. It pro/ides a great place for a basket perch or a tee area!
Cons: 1) Baskets seemed really tough to see in the woods especially because they sortof blended into the mulch on the ground. This could be sol/ed and I think i remember they tried to make it better with some pain on the basket, but it wasn't enough.
2) Maintenance is a little lacking in the turf and fairway areas. The wooded holes will always strugle but when things get bare, mulch should really be used to reduce further compaction and erosion.
3) The first few holes are the weakest, but I can understand why they ha/e them and at least it is a good warmup because they are nearly wide open.
4) Na/igation can be a little tricky at times, but look for the tee signs and you will be fine!
Other Thoughts: O/erall this is a great course. It is better maintained the Z Boaz but doesn't quite offer as much challenge. It has a good /ariety and was well designed. I would probably gi/e this a 3.75 if I could but I feel a 3.5 would be too harsh and there just warent that many negati/es. It is more just underwhelming but it is a solid course so I am sticking with the 4.0 rating. Comparable to Z Boaz, just in a different way.
6 of 7 people found this review helpful.
0 Helpful / 5 Not
Pros: -lots of different types of throws involved
-3 different tees
Cons: -only 1 bridge to cross the creek
-hard to find the tees to 2 and 5
Other Thoughts: I would recomend this course to pros and beginners alike. If you enjoy the chance to throw hyzers, anhyzers, up hills, down hills and just having a great time, this is a excellent course!
0 of 5 people found this review helpful.
2 Helpful / 3 Not
Pros: Great hole layout, uses everything that available, and makes you use everything you have. Uncrowded, combination of open long, tight technical, and long technical.Two concrete tee pads for all holes. Natural tee pad for beginners every hole.
WIND WIND WIND!!!!
Cons: Unfriendly neighbors to course.(guns have been pulled for retrieving discs, was on the roof though)
A couple holes are what I consider hope and poke. Elevation changes can be brutal for walking course, not cart friendly.
A lot of signs have been damaged by local area ruffians.
Can be tough to navigate as this course is HUGE!
WIND WIND WIND!!!!
Other Thoughts: I played both long and short, plus a 30 hole layout for the Crowley DD event. Loved the temp holes as much as the regular holes. They need to become perm holes. Total played 102 holes there this weekend. With the constant wind you can get very frustrated. Its a great learning experience if you don't normally play in the wind.
Will be back to play this event and course.
2 of 5 people found this review helpful.
1 Helpful / 14 Not
not equal to z boaz
Pros: distance and elevation change. good tree lines good t box options not crowded like z boaz
Cons: hard to find and very windy but fun i lost a nuke and that is up setting very tight in the wood and the maps are not precise
Other Thoughts: its not as good as z boaz because zboaz is king in this area
1 of 15 people found this review helpful.
A little bit of everything
3 Helpful / 0 Not
Pros: This course will give you a great disc golf experience every time. You'll enjoy its many positives, such as large a variety of holes, set in a beautiful and big park, almost every type of shot required to shoot well, multiple hole and tee locations, as well as some of the greatest tee pads in all of North Texas. You'll have everything from downhill bombs and blind shots, uphill elevator approaches, throws along deep ravines, thick technical tree sections and shots across a wide/deep stream. (Really tough to get across from the back tees) There are plenty of signs, holes are easy to find, lots of trash cans to throw away litter, and there is a large parking lot near hole 1 and the practice baskets.
Cons: Careful on the holes underneath the power lines, you could run into dirt bike riders as well as throw an errant disc into a backyard of an unfriendly resident. Later parts of the course come very close to the soccer fields. Joggers, walkers, and family gatherings are all in play the last five or so holes.
Other Thoughts: This has become one of my new favorite courses in the metroplex.
3 of 3 people found this review helpful.
2 Helpful / 0 Not
Pros: Nice tee pads for Intermediate and Pro. Very nice new signs. Most holes are fun and challenging. Elevation changes, throw up hill on a couple of holes. Throw down hill on a couple of others. Water Hazards aren't disc swallowing. No "Lets make a par 5 to get back to the parking lot" type holes, instead they just added more holes to play, meaning 20+ holes! Practice putting basket.
Cons: For some reason this park seems like it is 10 degrees hotter then anywhere else during the summer. Lots of tall grass and undergrowth on a few holes. Even a good throw on hole 10 might land in some tall grass( 3-4 feet tall ). Hole 6 runs near the back of some homes. Owners not friendly to disc golfers. If disc goes over the fence it is lost.
Other Thoughts: This is one of the closest courses to where I live. I have appreciated all the improvements made to the course over the years. Wish there was more tree cover like Z-Boaz. It is Dog Friendly. Not Stroller Friendly. They have made a good course from the terrain available.
2 of 2 people found this review helpful.
4 Helpful / 0 Not
Well worth the drive
Pros: 1. Great layout. After you figure out where number 2 was, it was easy sailing from there.
2. Makes great use of the terrain. Lots of elevational changes. You have to make good judgement on distance to keep up with the elevation in both directions.
3. Puts a creek in the way for many (1/3 of the holes). Water is very low so its easy to see and fetch disc. Creek is also not steep so thats a plus.
4. Great choice of placement for ltees. There are 3 levels (Pro, Intermediate, and Beginner).
5. Pro and Intermediate tees are paved, beginner is not, but no one should be playing from the beginner tees.
6. Signs are clear and easy to understand
7. Course is nice and clean with plenty of trash cans to throw away stuff.
Cons: 1. In general the course is easy to navigate, but I can see where there are a few holes that are hard to find, and which basket to shoot for can sometimes be challenging.
2. The last few holes have pedestrians that walk their dogs or play. This may cause some delays.
3. A few of the pro tees seem easier than the intermediate.
Other Thoughts: All and all this is one awesome course. I enjoyed this one quite a bit. This is one of the few courses where I feel that you can have one or two bad tosses and you can recover from them. It really does keep you guessing and bring all your tosses, it will require all of them. Lastly, this is a 20 hole course!!!! and extremely long.
4 of 4 people found this review helpful.
3 Helpful / 0 Not
First Time to Review Bare With Me
Pros: I like all the elevation changes and I felt they used the layout of the Electrical Easement very well. The cource was clean and a lot of the under brush was trimmed away. (not allergic to Poison Ivy so I really don't know what it looks like). The lay out of the course was easy to follow. We played from the middle Tees and it was just right for me.
Cons: The only con I could think of is I know there's 21 holes there. I thought a sign to show that your've played 18 would have helped.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed playing this course met some nice people. I will play this course again.
3 of 3 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.