Old Employee Park
2 Helpful / 0 Not
Pros: 1) Nice variety of shots required to do well. There are some longer holes that force you to be accurate with a long throw. There are a few tight wooded holes and you have to be able to anhyzer or hyzer them, or be able to use a sidearm effectively to avoid certain trees and obstacles.
2) Some of the holes offer a reasonable challenge. The first hole requires a shot through an old swingset (with the swings removed) frame and a couple trees right past the basket that help to protect it.
3) Signage is adequate. You know where you are going after each hole pretty easily because you can look for the pavers or concrete pieces sunk in the ground by each tee. The mowed area between holes also help you find the next hole without too much deliberation. A lot of places have other paths crossing that you might begin to walk down and turn around, but this course it is clear where you need to go. UPDATE: A few of the homemade wood signs are missing . .. it may not even be vandalism, but because the wood has cracked as a few of the ones that were there looked like they might be on their last legs. I dropped them $5 maybe they can put it towards new signs now that hey have concrete.
4) This course is almost completely isolated from the other activities in this park which is nice. It is always nice to not have to worry about hitting or throwing near someone doing something else.
5) Portopotty over by the big barn is available and a soda machine at the building near where you park.
6) I enjoyed holes #3, 4, 5, 6 the most they had the most interest and the best challenge. I only had one birdie today but I am sure they are available to an average player on more than 1 hole, I just needed to learn the course the first time. Bogeys also come easily with one mistake, one turnover, one tree ricochet, or a bad putt.
7) UPDATE: Tees are concrete . . . this is new since i was here two years ago and this makes it a real positive. Because the ground is often wet there the teepads make that course much more playable at different times of the year.
8) Pay to Play $1 per round per person . . . I dropped in $5 to thank them for the concrete teepads, maybe they will eventually get around to replacing the tee signs too. It's got to do some good to ask for some money even if not everyone pays.
Cons: 1) The last three holes don't have a lot of interst in my opinion. They are simply wide open throw it close holes. You need to have a little bit of an arm to reach #7 and #8 for an easy birdie putt, but I would like to see some more challenge with a couple of well placed trees.
2) Rough areas to the sides of a few of these holes is punishing and dangerous. I am ok with prairie grass as a deep rough, but these areas have been overtaken by thistle and clover, and probably some noxious weeds. Not much can be done about it now, but just be careful as you walk through the rough areas on #2, 3, and 6.
3) Scorecards are missing in the mailbox, which if you are going to offer them, make sure they are available.
Other Thoughts: This is not a horrible course for where it is located. I am sure it rarely gets used except by people who stay in the park for camping. It is in the middle of nowhere from most small towns even. It is fairly scenic as you walk through some prairie, play through some woods, and then back out into the open mowed turf again. No water on the course is in play, but that is ok, the natural rough areas are almost wetland like in their looks and vegetation.
A little bit of maintenance might improve this course a little bit, but then again the wetland like unmaintained areas are pretty unique and cool.
I bumped up the rating to 2.5 with the installation of the concrete teepads because that would have been my biggest gripe about the course in the past. Now I would say replace the tee signs and you have yourself a pretty decent course. Its got the variety that many courses do not have.
2 of 2 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.