Rockwall, TX
Harry Myers DGC Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #16 (Taken 3/2013)

Another classic Houck course

2-4    1/7/2012   1/7/2012
Review By: dreadlock86
This review was updated on 5/29/2012
Pros: -great dual concrete tees on most holes
-lots of epic, signature holes
-quality Houck signs, abundant directional signs
-lots of elevation, rolling hills
-great basket placements, lots of danger near the greens
-great mix of long, multi-shot holes and shorter, tight, technical holes
-legit par 4's and 5's, mostly longer holes but a few ace runs as well
-plenty of parking, lots of trash cans, water fountains, restrooms
-multi-use park with sport fields, etc.
Cons: -a few places where fairways are pretty close together
-walk from basket 8 to tee 9 crosses fairway 3
-several tricky navigational spots but ample signs directing you to the correct basket, next tee, etc.

and if we're nitpicking:
-this place would be incredible with a little bit more water. it is disappointing that the lake between 17 & 18 wasn't utilized.
-hole 18 is a bit lackluster for the final hole on such an epic course. it would be nice if 17 were the last hole or if 18 had a long tee where you shot across the lake.
Other Thoughts: This amazing Championship-caliber course is another testament to the brilliant designs of John Houck. It has all the signature Houck elements: epic multi-throw holes, narrow wooded lanes with a tree right where you would like to throw, great use of the available land and elevation, dual tees that add very challenging looks from the tips that also change the tee shot, legit par 4's and 5's, awesome Houck signs with distance and detailed maps. It is hard to ask for more out of a course.

The course is very challenging, especially from the long tees, but the fairways are fair, as are the pars. There is great variety in fairway shapes and shots required. The course is basically laid out in two areas. The front 9 has very distinctive feel with lots of elevation and lots of wooded obstacles. Hole 2 has a fun downhill drive to a well guarded basket and hole 3 is an amazing par 5. The back 9 is a bit more open and plays mostly through a lightly wooded meadow with rolling hills. You'll need to hit your dueces on the shorter 4-8 and 12-15 because many of the remaining holes require some serious distance.

Some have said that the back 9 doesn't live up to the front 9 but I like the variety of terrain and the different feel that each area has. There are little things here and there you could complain about but the overall experience here is tremendous. This is definitely one of the top courses in the Metroplex and I would recommend it to anyone, locals or visitors, as a must-play course.

**Like this review? Hate it? Message me and let me know why! I want to make them better!**

1    1/2/2012   1/4/2012
Review By: pfluegel
Pros: Very rewarding course, well signed with a variety of different shots, a few ace potential shots and some spots for a big arm. Elevation changes, water hazards, this course has it all!
Cons: Only one restroom for the whole course, right by hole one, that being said, plenty of bushes...
Other Thoughts: My favorite course

5+    12/28/2011   12/30/2011
Review By: JJustinB
Pros: Well maintained park. Its very clean and the fairways almost make you feel like you're on a regular golf course. Good tee pads and signs, which make it easy to get around. Good mix of long and short holes, and there is also a good mix of wooded and open holes. There is a great group of locals that will help you out if you ask. If you have a monster arm, there is also a set of back tees which you can play.
Cons: Because this is more than a disc golf course, there are sometimes other people on the course. I've actually had to tell a family that they shouldn't have their lunch under a tree on hole 8. The course is missing water holes, except for when the holes in the river bottom flood (especially on hole 6).
Other Thoughts: I really enjoy playing this course, and because its only minutes from my house, I play it a lot. This course will help you develop your arm if you're a short knocker.

Solid TX Course

1    7/17/2011   7/22/2011
Review By: The otto
Pros: This course is by far the best overall course I have played in TX. First, the course was overall in very good shape. Save for a few of the early wooded holes which had some trash, the course was clean and well maintained. The signage was superb, both in directing players to the next and and in describing each hole. Good mix of distances for the holes, and good shot variety. I played from the long tees, and often the tee was vastly different from the short, and the signage was neccesary. In addition, adequate elevation change and great use of the elevation change on the course. Favorite hole was 1, touchy hyzer with fast green
Cons: The only thing missing from this course is no fault of the course, and thats simply more elevation change. I think the course rewards most good shots. There are a few holes which could have better lines, holes 2 and 11 come to mind.

2-4    12/16/2012   7/8/2011
Review By: JezCat
This review was updated on 1/23/2013
Pros: This is my favorite course to play because of the variety of shots it gives you. Some long holes and some shorter ones, both right and left doglegs, tight section of wooded holes that will test your accuracy and control, a few elevation changes and not much risk of losing a disc. My favorite is the signature hole #3. Easy to follow and clean. Advanced and beginner tees.
Cons: Windy on most days except on the wooded holes of course. Some poison ivy in those woods so bring sanitizer or wipes. Could use a water hazard or two for extra variety but I hate losing discs so I'm fine with it.
Other Thoughts: I've had my worst outing and one of my best on this course on consecutive trips. This course is a must play. Hope you enjoy this course as much as I do.

Woods and Drives

5+    6/25/2011   6/25/2011
Review By: wtrace
Pros: Lots of variety, some long drives, some shorter finesse shots. A great challenge for all types of players. Never really very crowded and it can be done pretty quickly as long as you don't spend too much time looking for discs.
Cons: Lots of brush and thicket on about half the holes, so sometimes there will be a minor throw error which will cause distress looking for the disc in the thicker parts.
Other Thoughts: The people are generally friendly and as long as you pay attention you wont lose a disc. Sometimes ti gets a little windy, but I would say driving anything up to 45 minutes to an hour is definitely worth going to this course. I go about once or twice a week.

Tremendous Course

5+    4/20/2011   6/5/2011
Review By: captmarshie
Pros: This is my home course so I'm extremely lucky. I've played it since it was installed so I feel I know pretty well what the pros and cons are. Excellent use of features of the land. Some water shots, plenty of wooded shots, distance, elevation changes. It's also easy to navigate with great sign-age. Wood steps installed and a bridge over the water so getting around is pretty easy. Very well maintained year round.
Cons: Moving from 8 to 9, you cross over 3's fairway. In the spring and summer, the foilage gets very thick and can make losing a disc very easy. Often times, people are just walking around the fairways not paying attention which can get very annoying. It can get pretty congested and tends to bottleneck around 3 but flows pretty well after that.
Other Thoughts: All in all this is a great course. It's challenging to say the least, but it has something for all skill levels so beginners shouldn't be scared away. Definitely worth the drive to Rockwall. Out of all the courses I've played, this one is easily the best in my opinion. Give it a shot, you won't regret it.

What's a snake bunker????

1    6/1/2011   6/5/2011
Review By: CTRobuck
Pros: Loved the course!!! Well maintained and has a variety of shots. Nice park, and worth the 1 and half drive from East Texas.

The course is pretty easy to navigate, so first timers should be able to make it around with no issues.
Cons: A buddy of mine threw his disc in the water behind #1 basket. As we walked walked down there we noticed something a little peculiar. 4 yes 4 water mocassins swimming around his disc. They weren't big, but a small mocassin is worse than a full grown one!!!! Anyway, I got the disc back and then we went and talked to maintenance. They told us to be carefull because they are apparently EVERY where!!!

It's understandable when you come in and modernize an area so fast. Rockwall has grown quickly and the snakes just have nowhere else to go.

SO BE CAREFUL OUT HERE!!!!

It's fun and worth the round just keep your eyes peeled!!!
Other Thoughts: Fun course, will definitely return.

Keep your eyes open for snakes and CHALLENGE yourself and play the back tees!!!!

1    4/2/2011   4/5/2011
Review By: coolpooky7
Pros: This is a really fun course with a lot of hole variation. Good transition between long and short holes as well as open shot to wooded shots. Lots of signs to let you know where the next tee box is and the next basket is located.
Cons: A lot of rude locals. I don't know how many times we almost got hit by a flying disc because people just cannot wait to throw. Not only that, they never gave a warning shout when they threw.

Best in DFW.

1    3/21/2011   3/21/2011
Review By: TaylorW10
Pros: This is a great DG course. It feels almost like a manicured ball golf course. There are signs for all tees and even some signs pointing you to the baskets on some holes. The front 9 is more wooded and feels secluded. The back 9 has some more open holes to really air out your drives without hitting trees. Fort Worth has Z Boaz, Dallas side of the metroplex has Harry Meyers. I give a slight edge to Harry because it's less crowded, cleaner, and has the best signage I have seen on a DG course. It's a long drive from Ft Worth, but I will definitely be back soon.
Cons: The park is used by non golfers too. I had to wait a couple of times for a dad with his kids who were hiking around in the woods on the front 9. After they saw me on the teebox they moved and also pointed to the basket for me. Not a big deal, but you have to watch out for the non golfers. Also on 17th fairway a couple had a blanket laid out and were having a picnic. I yelled fore and they watched my approach shot sail past them. Again, not a big deal to me but this course would get a 5 from me if it were a DG only park, like Lester Lorch or Z Boaz.
Other Thoughts: My favorite course in the metroplex, even with the long drive from home to get there and the occasional non golfer getting in the way. Front 9 is better than the back, and the 19th hole is at Flying Saucer on Bass Pro Dr just after you cross the lake on the way back home. Excellent beers and a patio on the lake!