Rockwall, TX
Harry Myers DGC Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #18 (Taken 3/2013)
Hole #18 Blue Tee

Wow, just Wow

1    1/1/2011   1/11/2011
Review By: sheamous
Pros: I've never given a course a 5.0, but I had a hard time convincing myself not to give this course one. I think the one word to sum up this course is immaculate. When I watch disc golf in Europe I drool over the manicured fairways and actual rough. You get that at Rockwall. The fairways are so great and the way they use evergreens as well as oaks is genius. This course plays around the small lake in this community and makes you feel like you're playing in some alternate dimension where there are disc golf country clubs. A great use of natural terrain and water hazards. Signage is amazing. Back of signs painted with appropriate color to designate long or short tees.
Cons: My only beef is there are a couple of par fives that are easy birds or even eagles.
Other Thoughts: If you're based in Ft. Worth like me, you should really make a point to make the drive out to this course. You'll be glad you did. In my opinion, this is the most well maintained course in North Texas.

It's the best Jerry...the Best!

5+    2/26/2011   10/9/2010
Review By: kylewarner42
This review was updated on 3/6/2011
Pros: Hopefully you've eaten your Wheaties prior to taking on this challenging course. T-Rex type arms should just stay home or expect to score 90+. This course is the best maintained course in the DFW area, minimal trash, frequently mowed, mature trees, beautifully manicured, ascetically pleasing. The elevations vary throughout this course. You have to bring out your entire arsenal to master this beast, but it isn't impossible to shoot a good score. There are many different hole types, from relatively wide open, to threading a needle. This course had to be designed by a seasoned vet.
Cons: No holes are over water. Crowded on weekends (with good weather).
Other Thoughts: There is a multi-mile walking trail, a huge play castle/jungle gym (for kids), Skateboard Park, Softball/Baseball, and Football fields, swimming pool (fees apply for the pool), several ponds (for fishing) all in the same area. Even if you have a family that doesn't enjoy throwing disc, it'd be a fun filled day for the entire family as long as you enjoy the outdoors.

A good standard

1    11/27/2009   9/19/2010
Review By: KennyM
Pros: Well marked layout mingles well with the park.
A pleasant blend of wide open long tracs mixed with some tight technical ones.
This course is great for the first timer as well as the experienced player.
Just a little bit long for kids under 10, even if you play a scramble format (recommended for newbies)
Several holes reward strong players with precision throws, but don't penalize the duffers unduly for mediocrity either.
Cons: Not much to moan about. There were a couple times where pinickers/volleyballers etc. crossed paths with the DGolfers but it was a very nice and extra crowded day at this park so hard to ding the place for that.
Other Thoughts: This is a really nice place, with plenty of open space, however it is a very busy park so be prepared to wait and to log a longer round. That said, I cannot wait to get back this course.

Great Course

1    9/6/2010   9/7/2010
Review By: gek76
Pros: Each hole was different and challenging.
The par 4 and 5 holes where fun, not just giant chuck feasts.
Undergrowth is mostly cleared out which is nice when you throw a disc in to the woods. Great terrain changes. Well marked signs. Was never lost once we got to hole #1.
Cons: Only two things I can slightly complain about.
Would be nice to have a sign as you enter the parking lot as to where hole 1# is. Having never been there we parked near hole #18 and had to walk around a bit to find it.

Wind. Hope you have a few heavier disc to try and deal with the wind that flows through the park.
Other Thoughts: Had the day off and wanted to try a new course so drove over an hour to this course. I was no disappointed. Pretty park and the course was fun. Wish it was closer to I could play on it more often.

One of the Best in the Metroplex

5+    8/30/2010   8/30/2010
Review By: johnwangg
This review was updated on 9/3/2010
Pros: 1. Course is long, yet challenging.

2. Everything is marked and all tees and baskets are in near perfect condition.

3. Has some good basket placement which requires you to use a variety of shots.

4. There is a huge difference from the regular tee and the pro tee (quite a bit more difficult).

5. Makes great use to the terrain (many elevation shots as well as tons of trees).

6. This course is never packed. Even if you run into one or two groups you can always start at at #1 and when you get by #3, you can continue with #11 instead and come back to #3 when course loops back that to the same hole #3.

7. Great parking and is well maintained, even the heavy brush is or grass has all but died off and does not affect shots (unless your looking for the skip to get more distance).
Cons: 1. This course like i said earlier, is very long, but it also has some holes that are open. It's not the "coolest" course to play. It seemed extra hot out there in the TX summer.

2. Even though they have added steps for some of the elevated holes, this course may put some wear on the legs of older people.

3. Could have put a few of the holes closer to water (has a giant pond in middle of the park). Water harzards are good risk/reward holes.
Other Thoughts: I like this course. I play here as often as I get a chance. This course gives me a chance to work on all aspects of my game. I am not advanced by no means, but I can see how advanced, as well as beginner/intermediate players will enjoy this. Bring some water and try not to carry too many disc in the bag.

5+    6/26/2010   6/29/2010
Review By: drumn4life0789
Pros: Nothing really left to say. Everyone else has said it all.

One update though. The last time I played, on June 26, there was a group of volunteers improving the course.

Previously on hole 5 after your tee shot you had to walk down a pretty steep hill that has become steeper from the continuous use. This may be quite difficult and semi dangerous for the older disc golfers to get down. The volunteer group of kids were building very nice steps to safely get down to the fairway. They were using 4x4 about 5ft long and putting three for each step. Making the walkdown very easy now.

They also might have been adding these to the step up the hill after hole #7 because they looked almost complete with the hole #5 steps and still had lots of wood left. I will check in the next few days
Cons: none

Ran out of good land

1    3/24/2010   4/1/2010
Review By: cydisc
Pros: -Interesting multi-shot holes.
-Good topography (for the most part)
-Excellent tee signage
-Ample concrete tees
Cons: -Some slightly irritating artificial OB
-Flow issues
-Crossing traffic
Other Thoughts: This is a large course that shares a park with various other park uses such as baseball, picnicking, and trail walking, among others. Multiple tees are available for players of varying skill levels. The tips play very difficult.

The front 9 holes feature the most interesting holes on the course. Rolling hills, trees and water all figure into the design. Well-designed par 4 holes abound and use the land features well. There are some problems with how the course flows as there are a few places where you might be tempted to throw at the wrong basket if you don't pay attention to the tee sign or refer to a map. There is also a place where you will cross another hole's fairway to get to the next tee. There are some long-ish walks between a few holes, but not the worst I've ever seen. The "Next Tee" signage is appreciated. Water features are used well as OB.

The back 9 is somewhat lacking in the kind of land that makes the front 9 so appealing. Of note is hole #17 that relies on artificial OB areas (taped trees) to increase its distance and difficulty. While still challenging, the back 9's smaller trees and lack of water in play just doesn't stack up to the aesthetics of the front.

Overall, it's a fine course with a few issues that keep it from being a truly great course.

My, My, My. My foot, My back and My Wrist.

1    3/20/2010   3/20/2010
Review By: NDABRUSH
This review was updated on 10/31/2010
Pros: Next tee signs for red and blue pads which are concrete and plenty long, like the course. I like the low ceiling shots, and the leaves are not even in play on most holes yet. I bet this course is even more beautiful and challenging in full bloom, which I will experience later this year. The red and blue Ts are sometimes 2 totally dif shots like on hole 1 which is and amazing shot from the blue. Some of the ts were hundreds of feet apart and not directly behind each other either. I love the trees on hole 16, whatever kind of evergreens they are. They were almost maze like in the way that they were positioned. 1 true ace run for us noodle arms is hole 15 Red. 15 blue is an extra 30 or 40 ft. and brings 2 more trees into play, making it a challenge just to get through their gap and the gap in front of the red pad. So just moving it back that much turned it from a 240 ft. ace run with the trees so close to the pad that they were no problem splitting into a super hard double gap 280 ft. hole. If it isn't busy I would suggest checking out the view from both pads and throw the 1 that you prefer. Some nice pin placements. Hole 1 is next to water and some are positioned where if you miss your put, it might result in a roll away so far that you are now out of bounds. GREAT disc catchers and T signs of course. 600 to 800 ft. shots that are technical and not just open field bomb shots. There are some rare opportunities to grip and rip, but this isn't the Wilmont so accuracy you must have young Jedi. By the end of hole 3 I was bleeding from my face and wrist and I tweaked my foot going up a hill after retrieving my pitifully thrown previous shot. By the end my back was feeling like my foot. I cut my face and wrist in the bushes/small trees that are on the right side of the gap that is just at the top of the last hill to be breached as you approach hole 3s pin. It was about a 700 ft. shot that has you throwing slightly downhill for about 300 and then making an almost 90 degree turn so you can finish the remaining footage(about 380 ft.) required to reach the pin. You have and old dried up pond on your left as OB and it is tree lined on either side of you. Just a wonderfully frustrating shot. This course was amazingly clean considering there are no trashcans. This course crushed me and I liked it. I did park 1 of the par 4s for a birdie, but that is all of my highlight reel. I was so honored to play this course that I packed my bag as much as possible with empty beer cans(about 8) that I found, off the fairway for the most part. I also picked up downed lumber(except for a couple that were to heavy) on the fairway of hole 5 and lined the fairway to the best of my knowledge. Not bragging, just felt guilty for playing a course like this for free.
Cons: No trash cans, but the local club must pick up frequently because I have seen much dirtier courses that have plenty of trashcans. Almost no benches or places to rest. Volleyball court and playground behind 5 filled the air with the sounds of yammering children. Kids were running back and forth on hole 7s fairway. Back and forth kind of like a video game and of course the parent is standing their with drool coming off the side of her chin as she is deep in meditation trying to get that "oblivious to everyone around me" Chee going. People frolicking on the fairways of 1 of the open later holes, I think 16.
Other Thoughts: I have only played 53 courses so far, but this is the 1 of the most balanced and well designed ones. IMO this course is not over rated at all and is just amazing, but as I play more courses only time will tell if it's rating holds up. My 1st Houck course did not disappoint.

Pro Course

1    2/27/2010   2/28/2010
Review By: jasondguy
Pros: Pro & Am Concrete Tees, All shots needed, Elevation changes, bathroom, trash cans, heavy forestation, open shots. nice balance of long holes and short holes, lefty and righty, well maintained. Great A++ signs, minimal grafitti, tell you where next tee is.
Cons: Layout forces you to walk back through fairways, muddy after rain on 1st nine, need mulch or sand. Some walkways come into play on a few holes.
Other Thoughts: Course reminds me of Veteran's, but without the Cactus. It has really nice elevation changes, which i love and a great variety of shots needed. I had a blast out there with 3 of my friends, definitely a favorite now, glad i finally played it.

Home Sweet Home

5+    11/27/2009   11/27/2009
Review By: nary
Pros: This is my home course so forgive my partiality. That being said, this is one of, if not THE best course I've ever played. It is very long, even from the short tees. The long tees are ridiculous! Lot's of elevation changes and trees. I am so lucky to live minutes away from this gorgeous course!
Cons: Muddy at times, with alot of mosquitoes in the summer.
Other Thoughts: Hole #3 is the hardest hole I've ever played, it is a beast!