Rockwall, TX
Harry Myers DGC Share
Uploaded By: RustyP Hole #8

My, My, My. My foot, My back and My Wrist.

1    3/20/2010   3/20/2010
This review was updated on 10/31/2010
Pros: Next tee signs for red and blue pads which are concrete and plenty long, like the course. I like the low ceiling shots, and the leaves are not even in play on most holes yet. I bet this course is even more beautiful and challenging in full bloom, which I will experience later this year. The red and blue Ts are sometimes 2 totally dif shots like on hole 1 which is and amazing shot from the blue. Some of the ts were hundreds of feet apart and not directly behind each other either. I love the trees on hole 16, whatever kind of evergreens they are. They were almost maze like in the way that they were positioned. 1 true ace run for us noodle arms is hole 15 Red. 15 blue is an extra 30 or 40 ft. and brings 2 more trees into play, making it a challenge just to get through their gap and the gap in front of the red pad. So just moving it back that much turned it from a 240 ft. ace run with the trees so close to the pad that they were no problem splitting into a super hard double gap 280 ft. hole. If it isn't busy I would suggest checking out the view from both pads and throw the 1 that you prefer. Some nice pin placements. Hole 1 is next to water and some are positioned where if you miss your put, it might result in a roll away so far that you are now out of bounds. GREAT disc catchers and T signs of course. 600 to 800 ft. shots that are technical and not just open field bomb shots. There are some rare opportunities to grip and rip, but this isn't the Wilmont so accuracy you must have young Jedi. By the end of hole 3 I was bleeding from my face and wrist and I tweaked my foot going up a hill after retrieving my pitifully thrown previous shot. By the end my back was feeling like my foot. I cut my face and wrist in the bushes/small trees that are on the right side of the gap that is just at the top of the last hill to be breached as you approach hole 3s pin. It was about a 700 ft. shot that has you throwing slightly downhill for about 300 and then making an almost 90 degree turn so you can finish the remaining footage(about 380 ft.) required to reach the pin. You have and old dried up pond on your left as OB and it is tree lined on either side of you. Just a wonderfully frustrating shot. This course was amazingly clean considering there are no trashcans. This course crushed me and I liked it. I did park 1 of the par 4s for a birdie, but that is all of my highlight reel. I was so honored to play this course that I packed my bag as much as possible with empty beer cans(about 8) that I found, off the fairway for the most part. I also picked up downed lumber(except for a couple that were to heavy) on the fairway of hole 5 and lined the fairway to the best of my knowledge. Not bragging, just felt guilty for playing a course like this for free.
Cons: No trash cans, but the local club must pick up frequently because I have seen much dirtier courses that have plenty of trashcans. Almost no benches or places to rest. Volleyball court and playground behind 5 filled the air with the sounds of yammering children. Kids were running back and forth on hole 7s fairway. Back and forth kind of like a video game and of course the parent is standing their with drool coming off the side of her chin as she is deep in meditation trying to get that "oblivious to everyone around me" Chee going. People frolicking on the fairways of 1 of the open later holes, I think 16.
Other Thoughts: I have only played 53 courses so far, but this is the 1 of the most balanced and well designed ones. IMO this course is not over rated at all and is just amazing, but as I play more courses only time will tell if it's rating holds up. My 1st Houck course did not disappoint.

Pro Course

1    2/27/2010   2/28/2010
Review By: jasondguy
Pros: Pro & Am Concrete Tees, All shots needed, Elevation changes, bathroom, trash cans, heavy forestation, open shots. nice balance of long holes and short holes, lefty and righty, well maintained. Great A++ signs, minimal grafitti, tell you where next tee is.
Cons: Layout forces you to walk back through fairways, muddy after rain on 1st nine, need mulch or sand. Some walkways come into play on a few holes.
Other Thoughts: Course reminds me of Veteran's, but without the Cactus. It has really nice elevation changes, which i love and a great variety of shots needed. I had a blast out there with 3 of my friends, definitely a favorite now, glad i finally played it.

Home Sweet Home

5+    11/27/2009   11/27/2009
Review By: nary
Pros: This is my home course so forgive my partiality. That being said, this is one of, if not THE best course I've ever played. It is very long, even from the short tees. The long tees are ridiculous! Lot's of elevation changes and trees. I am so lucky to live minutes away from this gorgeous course!
Cons: Muddy at times, with alot of mosquitoes in the summer.
Other Thoughts: Hole #3 is the hardest hole I've ever played, it is a beast!

Beautiful Course!

1    11/1/2009   11/1/2009
Review By: strain
This review was updated on 1/1/2010
Pros: -Nice concrete tee pads
-Nice baskets
-Great signage with all hole info
-Great signs to direct you to the next tee
-Awesome elevation changes
-Great course design, most of the pins are
nicely tucked
-Beautiful scenery
-Lefty friendly
-Nice mix of short and long shots
-Very long and challenging
-Very well taken cared of
-Great parking
Cons: I don't have to many to name
-No practice basket
-Can get very muddy after a good rain
-Can get really crowded on the weekends

Other Thoughts: I had a great time playing this course. The course is a challenge from the beginning to the end and had a good variety of shots. The course had good basket locations and beautiful scenery through the whole course. This is another must play if you are in the area.

Very nice course

5+    8/27/2009   8/27/2009
Review By: jackson
Pros: This is a well maintained park with a family atmosphere. The holes are varied which keeps your attention. There are plenty of elevation changes and enough tree hazards to keep you coming back for more. It takes about an hour and a half for two golfers to complete the course.
Cons: My only complaint is that you don't have to throw over water and some punks have damaged some of the signs.
Other Thoughts: You can get free score cards for this course at "The Center" at Washington/205.

A tip for hole 5: Don't throw first. Let your buddie throw his driver and hit a tree. You can then walk up and toss your putter or midrange and land right in the middle of the fairway on your way to a par.

A tip for hole 11: The tree/shrub line along the left of the fairway is a disc eater. Stay right. Or if you are a real man, throw a cammo disc.

The Course I Compare all others to

5+    8/19/2009   8/21/2009
Review By: zapbryann
Pros: Alright, I feel spoiled as this is my home course. When it was first built is when I decided to try out disc golf. It was frustrating to say the least my first couple times out because of the difficulty level of the course, but after playing it enough it has to be my favorite course. Has as many Par 4s and 5s as any other course ive played on. Holes 1,2, and 3 let you bomb it, with an easy birdie hole for 1 if you get your drive down the fairway(and not rolled down the left side to the old creekbed) Hole 3 is one of the longest holes ive ever played, and still struggle to shoot a 5 on it all the time. Holes 4, 8, 14, and 15 are my favorite par 3s to play, great for a curved backhand shot. It took the maintenance a couple months to start mowing the course but its been pretty well kept ever since. The best thing about the course is that its built on a huge plot of land, so the holes dont interweave too much.
Cons: Mosquitos, Posion Ivy. Holes 5,6,7 are the worst, so be sure to bring your OFF. Can get busy later once everyones off work, so go early in the day.
Other Thoughts: I only give it a 5, because this is what I compare all other courses to.

Great Course

2-4    6/27/2009   7/11/2009
Review By: Carter
Pros: Harry Myers is one of the only courses i've played that has par 5's, 4's and short birdie holes, and it's well designed with plenty of shot variety. I love the idea of playing a disc course like a ball course, setting up shots on the par 5's and 4's. It requires you to lay up and play smart shots requiring a degree of thought and strategy that is not necessary playing short birdie or die par 3 courses. The maintenance is spot on and navigation is non-issue. This course is an absolute "must play" if you are traveling to the metroplex to play!!
Cons: Almost none, other than some hood rats graffiti'd most of the tee signs. It just burns me up to see that kind of disrespect. Also, a fair amount of trash is left out there, not as bad as some other metroplex courses, but disappointing nonetheless.
Other Thoughts: Playing this course has humbled me quite a bit. Hats of to the designers and the great parks department employees who keep the course maintained so well.

5+    5/27/2009   6/22/2009
Review By: Chunks
Pros: *Great course in a great park with wonderful amenities.
*If I was just ranking the front 9 this course would get a 5. There is a great mix of long open holes with well defined fairways and tight technical holes mixed in with some change in elevation (as least as much as you could expect in Dallas).
*Course is very fair...make a good shot and you have a chance to score well. Poor shot selection and poor execution are punished.
*I love that this course has a mix of legit par 3's 4's and 5's.
*Long and not as long tees on most holes with nice concrete tee pads.
*18 DiscCatchers...
*Almost impossible to get lost...there are signs to every tee from pin and even signs that point you towards green on a few holes that are hard to find.
*Hole 3- might be one of my favorite all-time holes. A great drive followed by another phenomenal drive and you might just have an outside chance for a 3. Take a 4 and you are still feeling like you just birdied.
Cons: *Not much shade on the back 9, can make for a HOT round.
*OB lines on 17 are not always painted clearly.
*During the fall there are several other events that take over the park (Cross Country races etc...)
Other Thoughts: This course is as good as DFW has to offer. It will wear you out physically and mentally!

Top Notch - Man Course

5+    6/20/2009   6/22/2009
Review By: Marty McFly
Pros: OK, let me start off by saying this course is only available for playing by the manliest of men (or women). My friend, if it was possible for a course to sprout chest hair and a five o'clock shadow, this place would look like Tom Selleck. It is just that manly.

It was never intended to drive to the mall so you can pick up that adorable shirt at Abercrombie & Fitch and play 18 holes in under one hour.

It wasn't meant to transport you to yoga class or Linens & Things while you pitch and putt. No, that's what your other courses are for. If that's the kind of place you're looking for, then just do us all a favor and stop reading right now. I mean it. Just stop.

This course was engineered by 3rd degree ninja super-warriors in the highest mountains of Japan to serve the needs of the man that cheats death on a daily basis. They didn't even consider superfluous nancy boy amenities like water (real men don't get thirsty).

There's only 18 holes that separate you on this hellcat from Planet Kicktale. Trust me, when you break par on this course your wife and the offspring that carry your name will talk about it for centuries. It will live on as a monument to your machismo.

Now, go look in the mirror and tell me what you see. If it's a rugged, no regrets, super brute he-man macho Chuck Norris stunt double, then go after this course.
Cons: Well, when I find one I will let you know.

Tell me something is wrong with this course and that's liable to earn you a Burmese-roundhouse-sphincter-kick with a follow up three fingered eye-jab. Would it hurt? Heck yeah. Let's just say you won't be the prettiest guy at the weekly MINI anymore.
Other Thoughts: Play the long tees for a real man course and count everything as a par 3.

Top Notch Course

2-4    4/19/2009   6/9/2009
Review By: ERicJ
Excellent top notch course by the master of design John Houck. Large concrete tee pads on both long and short tees. Double chain Discatcher Pro baskets. The best tee signs in the business (with OB markings), as well as secondary signs pointing to the next tee where necessary. Multiple restroom facilities. Tons of other things to do in the park to keep everyone in the family entertained.

This course is long and challenging. Multiple par 4 and 5 holes that really mean it. Nice elevation changes on many holes. The first three holes set the tone for the round with #1 teeing off through some tough close trees and a basket sitting on the shoreline of a small pond. #2 is a long downhill drive which more than likely leaves you with a long uphill approach. And #3 is the sickest hole I've ever played: 800+' with two signs directing you how to get to the basket along the way. Carding a '3' on that hole is next to impossible for mere mortals, and a '4' takes three perfect shots to get there. Most of the short holes are pretty tight with the exception of #8, but if you go long there beware the drop-off. #16 is a beautiful hole: 573' uphill through multiple tree lines with the yellow basket gleaming in the distance. #17 is a great penultimate hole playing 800+' around OB trees really letting you crush two or three throws.
Poison ivy abounds in the off-fairway rough. The route from basket #8 to tee #9 requires you to cross the fairway of #3 so be on the lookout. Most of the off-fairway rough is severely punishing affording little chance of making a saving shot. Hole #8 is has "Mando" scribbled on the tee sign; I asked Mr. Houck about that and he said there's no official mando, but it was intended to be an anhyzer shot and the parks department was supposed to plant some more trees blocking the hyzer shot and protecting the sidewalk, but that never happened. It'd be nice if several of the tee signs, specifically #3, had some intermediate distances on them. When the power lines are buzzing it detracts from the aesthetics of the course. The OB trees on #17 need better markings. One legit knock on the course might be that there aren't enough anyhzer shots to make it more balanced.
You won't usually get any pedestrian interference while playing as the course stays away from the other park amenities for the most part. But there is a trail through the latter half of the holes so be aware of that. This course is a blast to play and frustrating at the same time because of the difficulty. Hole #9 owns me as I've carded a '7' both rounds so far. Playing this course close to par is an accomplishment. I'd love this course to be close to where I lived.