Grapevine, TX
Bear Creek Share
Uploaded By: Donovan Hole #11
Hole #11 Tee: Just go straight ahead and find the basket through the trees to the right.

Bear Creek

2-4    3/28/2012   4/5/2012
Review By: ColtonV
Pros: -Great variety
-Fairly Easy to navigate
-Not too short
-Offers a challenge to some
-People sell disks in the parking lot for cheap sometimes
-2 tee boxes per hole
Cons: -Poison ivy is the biggest thing
-Can sometimes get a little backed up
-There is a chance you will lose a disc on a few holes
Other Thoughts: Some REALLY cool holes on here. The only thing that I really don't like is the great amount of poison ivy that resides here. I've only gotten it once when I was there though. This is my "home course" I guess so I do have a kind of bias, but every time I go I have a great time and have thrown with some nice people.

Always Fun

5+    3/16/2012   3/20/2012
Review By: mike_james
Pros: Just fun. Really precise lines needed on these holes, without being short. The long tees change this course completely, making it more lefty friendly. Well shaded, and seems to stay playable after a little rain. The wind also doesn't seem to affect the majority of the course. I hear a lot of people say it is hard to navigate, I don't find this to be an issue. It has a good flow to it. Park is pretty clean and well groomed.
Cons: Will get crowded on you. I would go as early as possible. Sneaky police. Don't be doing anything you shouldn't and it won't be an issue. A couple of long walks to holes. Just #1 if you don't cross the pipe, and from #12 to #13, but it is a good chance to stop at the car for whatever. Some of the teepads are a little short, and/or elevated, so be careful there.
Other Thoughts: Centrally located for most, so when you do check it out, get a couple rounds in and try from the longs too. Police prescence isn't necessarily a bad thing. Lots of cool events go on out here and they are usually lots of fun.

Bring a map

1    2/26/2012   2/27/2012
Review By: lajoie24
Pros: Had a great time playing the course - definitely one of the top precision shot courses in the DFW area. Baskets are in good shape and the park was very clean. Since the course cuts through the woods, the trees provide lots of protection from the wind (we played when it was 20+ mph with very few issues). Multiple tee boxes make an already demanding course that much more fun. I highly recommend this course to any player that can handle the sound of discs hitting multiple trees.
Cons: Bring the map provided by this wonderful site. I did and still wound up frustrated/confused on how to get to a few holes. The locals are cool and helped a lot with directions. There are many awkward transitions from hole to hole and the signage is poor. You have to walk half way around the course (and through the 1st fairway) to get from the 12th hole to the 13th hole.
It's real easy to throw discs off the fairway into the brush. There's some nasty thorny brush to contend with at times. Jeans might be mandatory.
Other Thoughts: The 12th hole is one of the more dramatic I've played in the area. I'm very interested in coming back once the trees get their leaves back. If you find a flat glow firebird in the creek by the basket on 15, enjoy!

5+    2/14/2012   2/25/2012
Review By: Smickie
Pros: Wide variety of shots. Have to use almost every shot in my bag. Holes such as 1, 6, and 12 make this course very challenging and fun. Very pretty course with lots of trees which makes it perfect for windy days. Regular and advanced tees are a nice touch.
Cons: If you haven't been here before, you'll find it difficult to find 13-18. A sign directing you where to go would be nice. Also, a TON of people play this course. Get there early!!!
Other Thoughts: This is one of my favorite courses in the metroplex. It's very pleasant to play due to the scenery and variety. Alot of good people play the course and are very courteous about letting you play through, but don't let you're guard down. I know a few people who have had discs stolen out here. Anyways, I strongly recommend this course for people of all skill levels so get out there and have a good time!

Ivy

5+    1/28/2012   2/1/2012
Review By: Lesson
Pros: -Has long and short tee pads
-Fun course to play
-Ace runs all over
-Plenty trees so plenty shade and blocks some wind on bad days
-Good baskets
-Long tee pads are fairly difficult and you will get some good practice. Is not too easy to shoot par from all longs.
-Some nice people play here
-Truly is a pretty course to play at
-If your alone at course you can run through a game in prob 40 minutes if you tried so good if you have limited time at a non peak time of day
Cons: -Too many begginers its pretty hard to shoot all longs with the mobs of people
-Pressures you to shoot shorts with everybody else and its hard to develop your game from these shorts its too easy. Big lack of challenge
-Poison ivy all over
-Since so many kids and local youth play here it brings a trouble crowd, lack of respect throwing on you etc.(baskets stolen, discs, some cars messed with)
-Tons of people play here(mostly recreational players) so its mob golf impossible to play a good game at peak hours
-Recently moved some baskets to different pins but there is a big lack of city involvement, the pins were in the same spots for prob 3 years prior
Other Thoughts: Overall a fun course my biggest complaint would be so many people come to play and are recreational players who will develop there game very slow because they stick to this easy course(from shorts). Every player should play multiple courses but there is a huge crowd who play here exclusivly and stay begginer at disc golf for a long time. Still a staple course for disc golf in the area and will always play here and have some fun. Just wish they could make it a little more difficult and get some of these people improving and not just shooting the same old shots everytime.

1    1/3/2012   1/4/2012
Review By: pfluegel
Pros: Variety of shots, Concrete pads.
Cons: Poor Signage, difficult to find the baskets from a lot of the tees, which would be fine, if there were signs.
Other Thoughts: With a printed out map it was fine. If you dont mind doing some foot work this course is a fun course to play. Hole 12 is particularly fun.

Has a little bit of everything

5+    2/27/2011   9/30/2011
Review By: aggiegreg
This review was updated on 2/27/2012
Pros: -Has a little bit of everying
--a couple of my favorite shots are over rivers
-two great place to tee off from on each hole
-paths well built
-good traffic on the course
-friendly disc golfers on course to help when you get a little lost
-cool looking abandoned car at the end of 12
Cons: -can get lost on course without the map
-only par 3s
-kinda smells like garbage
-course not signed well
--baskets are not all numbered
Other Thoughts: great course in the D/FW area, got lost on the course but there were lots of people ready to help. Great course to play everyday. Seems like there are always someone selling disc so make sure you bring cash or plastic to trade

Urushiol!

1    9/22/2011   9/23/2011
Review By: Paulie
Pros: 18 baskets
Well built numbered tee pads
Two pads per basket; normal and advanced
Wooded (shade)
Challenging obstacles
Easy to get to
Nice pecan trees
Benches and garbage cans
Parking lot
No mixed use to play through
Cons: No direction from one tee to another or from tee to basket. You have to rely solely on tee pad shape to figure where about the basket is if you can't see it.
Urushiol! Urushiol is the oily organic allergen found in plants of the family Anacardiaceae, especially Toxicodendron spp. (e.g., poison oak, poison ivy, poison sumac). It causes an allergic skin rash on contact.
Other Thoughts: This course is festooned in poisonous plants. It's got the trifecta; poison ivy, oak and sumac. And not just a little here and there. The poison ivy climbs up the poison sumac that grows in swaths of poison oak. If you went rolling naked through this course, you'd die of urushiol overdose. Or you'd scratch yourself to death later in the day. But don't let this scare you off. We played, in shorts, and we play where it lay, and got no rash. Don't go rolling in it like a dog on a dead animal and you'll be okay.
There are a few deep chasms to throw over. The first one is basket one. You'll know right off if you can throw this course or not. If your disc survives, don't worry, there are other chances to fling your plastic into the gaping maw of planet Earth. We did and still came out with same number of discs we went in with.
All in all, this is a great course and we'll be back.

Decent course

5+    9/15/2011   9/15/2011
Review By: mtlknee3
Pros: 1) Good layout, easy to navigate and good use of different length drives

2) Some elevation and trees for obstacles

3)Good use of space
Cons: 1) I've had my entire bag of discs stolen while helping a friend retrieve his discs from creek on hole 18

2) Cops patrol area often

3) A couple of difficult water hazards in stagnant water, very nasty creek running through course
Other Thoughts: Beware of discs thieves!!! After my discs were stolen I didn't play disc golf for two years. I couldn't believe some inconsiderate P.O.S. would steal someone's entire bag of discs!!! I don't play this course because of this. Unfortunate, it's a fun course and I did enjoy throwing here.

Back to the Beginning

5+    8/13/2011   8/15/2011
Review By: gek76
Pros: Each hole is fun and challenging. Holes 1 and 12 are like nothing I have ever see at any other course. They are both scarey and exciting all at the same time. When you do well on them you do real well, when you do bad good by disc.
Lots of tree cover.
Nice concrete tee pads.
2 Tees for every hole.
Cons: No signs on the holes. If you don't know the course you might have trouble finding baskets or next tee. Especially hole 13-18 which are across the parking lot from hole 1.
Difficult terrain for some hole, 12 specially.
Other Thoughts: I love this course. This is where my adventure with Disc Golf began. I still remember standing on the tee for hole 1 and seeing the creek and thinking, "I have to throw across that!" We won't talk about how many discs I have lost on this hole alone before I learned to drive. I hadn't played here in years because I moved more than an hour away. It was great fun to play here again and see how much my game had improved since those crazy first years.
As much as I love this course it has its faults. There aren't any real signs to tell you where to go.. If you don't have a local you will be lost. The guy that showed me the course my first time told me he didn't even know about 13-18 for the first few times he played here. Much of the course felt over grown. I think there are 2 benches on the whole course. Getting from the tee to the basket on hole 12 is an adventure. There is no clear path or bridge across the creek. You have to just climb down the steep banks hop the water and climb up an even steeper bank.
With all the excellent courses in the DFW area Bear Creek is showing its age. Tee signs would be a great improvement. I would love to know how far it is to the basket and what is officially considered out of bounds. Some sort of seating at the tees would be nice especially when your waiting on the group ahead to hole out. Some sort of bridge at hole 12 would be nice. Guess I am getting old but I don't really want to climb through the mud anymore. Signs in the parking lot explaining where holes 13-18 are.
With some improvement this course could be the must play course of DFW. It is already in a great location for almost everyone to get to play here at least once in a while.