Grapevine, TX
Uploaded By: cc0049 Hole #13

Back to the Beginning

5+    8/13/2011   8/15/2011
Review By: gek76
Pros: Each hole is fun and challenging. Holes 1 and 12 are like nothing I have ever see at any other course. They are both scarey and exciting all at the same time. When you do well on them you do real well, when you do bad good by disc.
Lots of tree cover.
Nice concrete tee pads.
2 Tees for every hole.
Cons: No signs on the holes. If you don't know the course you might have trouble finding baskets or next tee. Especially hole 13-18 which are across the parking lot from hole 1.
Difficult terrain for some hole, 12 specially.
Other Thoughts: I love this course. This is where my adventure with Disc Golf began. I still remember standing on the tee for hole 1 and seeing the creek and thinking, "I have to throw across that!" We won't talk about how many discs I have lost on this hole alone before I learned to drive. I hadn't played here in years because I moved more than an hour away. It was great fun to play here again and see how much my game had improved since those crazy first years.
As much as I love this course it has its faults. There aren't any real signs to tell you where to go.. If you don't have a local you will be lost. The guy that showed me the course my first time told me he didn't even know about 13-18 for the first few times he played here. Much of the course felt over grown. I think there are 2 benches on the whole course. Getting from the tee to the basket on hole 12 is an adventure. There is no clear path or bridge across the creek. You have to just climb down the steep banks hop the water and climb up an even steeper bank.
With all the excellent courses in the DFW area Bear Creek is showing its age. Tee signs would be a great improvement. I would love to know how far it is to the basket and what is officially considered out of bounds. Some sort of seating at the tees would be nice especially when your waiting on the group ahead to hole out. Some sort of bridge at hole 12 would be nice. Guess I am getting old but I don't really want to climb through the mud anymore. Signs in the parking lot explaining where holes 13-18 are.
With some improvement this course could be the must play course of DFW. It is already in a great location for almost everyone to get to play here at least once in a while.

2-4    8/14/2011   8/14/2011
Review By: JezCat
This review was updated on 1/23/2013
Pros: As stated previously, there are two tee pads per hole. Plenty of shade on a hot summer day but it's much better if you play in the morning to avoid the crowd. Plenty of trees to navigate around during your round without the wooded overkill some courses have. Hole 12 is the signature hole with a short throw over the deep creek bed but avoid those trees or you'll be making a tomahawk up that ridge. Clean each time I played it and I haven't seen a snake here yet. A shot-makers paradise. Big arms may not like this course because it takes away your distance. Hole 14 is the only tee you can let it fly on.
Cons: Some poison ivy but you'll get that in most wooded courses around Dallas. No real elevation changes (unless you're down in the gorge) but they made do with what was there. Pond behind 5 (I think it was) but the drought has dried it up, otherwise you can lose a disk overthrowing the basket. Same with 15 except the creek still has plenty of water. First timers don't get discouraged by the couple of "jumps" the course has from hole to hole. The locals will help if needed and your second trip here will be smooth. No practice basket but there is a nice ballfield you can warm up your drives on.
Other Thoughts: They changed what was a memorable 1st hole from the parking lot across the creek and now you start after crossing the bridge. Use the same bridge after you finish 12 to get back to the parking lot and across it to hole 13. I can see how the traffic can take away your enjoyment of this course so take care to avoid the usual hours when people play and you'll love this course.

snakes & no bears

1    7/24/2011   7/26/2011
Review By: jace
Pros: Bear Creek makes great use of the property in a compact 18-hole course with multiple pin placements and dual teepads on every hole.

A big Pro is that the long teepads not only add distance but create differently shaped lines to the baskets, offering a variety of shots for the course. There is just enough open space to keep you comfortable, but the tree lines keep you honest. IMO this allowed for very quick course play but kept you challenged on each hole.

Tee location is nice with variety, forcing a lot of different lines which range from big hyzers to low tunnel shots to delicate anhyzers. It's actually a great finesse course from my perspective without the big arm draining 500'+ holes typical of many courses these days. All in - it's just a fantastic technical course that rewards the experienced player while at the same time creates enough challenge to keep people coming back!

One last Pro for me was the change in playing conditions - grass fairways to dirt fairways with mixed. I think it adds to the experience to play through a changing environment in lieu of everything loking the same from hole to hole - just my thoughts.
Cons: * It's a flat course - that's a con for me.
* snakes.....spotted 2 water moccasins (sp?)
* dirty course - beer cans and trash throughout - this does not take away from the quality of the course, but compared to numerous others I have played this ranks as one of the dirtiest courses on my list unfortunately.
* course navigation is a bit tough for a first timer - glad I had an android phone for some help from other reviewers posts!
Other Thoughts: Bathrooms located adjacent to ball fields.

Play early in the morning. After reading all the reviews, it is obvious this is a busy course. We showed up at 6:30 and walked off at 7:45 only to see people already waiting to throw. Glad this site contains that kind of info!!!

I'm sure there are numerous GREAT courses in the DFW area - this one happened to be near my parents place, so I consider myself lucky to have it so close given it's great playability! You definately won't be dissappointed!

Bear Creek

1    7/17/2011   7/19/2011
Review By: flapjack
Pros: I like how there are two tees for each hole.
Cons: There was a big line for hole one at 11am. Not enough shade for summer. It is very stinky in many places. The parking is not good. Too many people. Extremely Hard to navigate. Hard to find.
Other Thoughts: I will never waste my time or gas to go to this course again. I threw hole one and somebody walked over to my disc and picked it up but before they put in in their bag I ran over there and told them it was my disc. This kinda shows how many people are actually there.

The Balance Beam

1    7/13/2011   7/14/2011
Review By: Notorious21
Pros:
- Long and short teepads
- Plenty of shade
- Maintained fairways
- Technically challenging
- The water isn't much of a factor on most of the holes labeled "water"
Cons:
- Be careful on hole 15! You can't tell from the teepad, but creek is right behind the goal!
- Signage was terrible, very difficult to navigate without a map
- The creek is pretty nasty
- Seriously, a sewer pipe/balance beam on hole 1? I did not expect to have to do an Indiana Jones routine right out of the gate here, but I survived without falling in the nasty creek.
- Hole 12 would be an awesome place for a tree fort, but it wasn't as amazing of a disc golf hole as other reviewers make it out to be.

ITCH-WEED!! WOO!!

5+    4/27/2011   4/29/2011
Review By: pilsurquell
Pros: -well designed holes
-multiple tee boxes
-great variety of shots
-good risk/reward on several holes
-public restrooms in case you need to drop a log
-nice paths & bridges over the creek
Cons: -POISON IVY!!!
-MORE POISON IVY!!!
-did i mention that there's some POISON IVY??
-aside from poison ivy, there's poison oak too!
-gets crowded on weekends, but duh...
-only one hole where you can really open up and rip it full strength for distance, unless you're using the back tees =)
Other Thoughts: This is one of my favorite courses in the dfw area, rating up there with Lewisville(lake course) and Veterans. It remains challenging time after time, and the multiple tee boxes make for a totally different course if you want to play it twice in a row back to back, just play the back tees. All in all, a darned fine course, def 4 stars.

Bear Creek

1    2/11/2011   2/11/2011
Review By: StPaulie
Pros: Nice park close to DFW airport easy to find.
Great use use of property available, just plain fun to play. Well maintained concrete tees and baskets catch well. Course was clean and the locals were friendly and helpfull when I had trouble finding the next tee.

The multiple tees allow different skill levels to play together. Multiple pin positions keep the couse fresh for those who will be playing here regularly.
There are a wide variety of shots required, some techinical and some wide open to
"let her rip". I found the course to well thought out, great use of the land available. All holes had a line availble even those most heavily wooded.
My favorite holes are one and twelve, both holes require a drive across a deep groge. Twelve is also pretty heavily wooded. Pretty big pucker factor the first time you nplay this course.
Cons: The only cons are the signs. Many had been vandalized and some were missing completely.
A few next tee signs would help first time players.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed my round and recommend you don't miss this course if you are in the area.
The Dallas/FtWorth area is truely bless with a couple of truely great disc golf courses.

Fun Tech Course

2-4    1/3/2011   1/27/2011
Review By: j0atz
Pros: Easy access right off of 360/121. In the middle of a nice park that isn't directly surrounds my housing.

Parking - Right off the highway, hole 1 is right in front of the parking lot. Generally easy to park...weekends are a bit more busy.

Layout - The course in general is layed out well, flows pretty nicely. Theres 1 or 2 holes you might get confused on but once you have played it once, you know it pretty well.

Shot Variety - There are some really fun shots on this course. There is a good variety of routes/lines that can be taken. Couple of "easy" ace runs. Shot variety is well balanced I would say.

Skill Level - I've heard from people that say this course is hard, but in reality its not THAT tough really. There are a lot of fun lines but most of them are short which can leave you in birdie position more often than you would think.

Teepads - All concrete and in decent condition. Multiple teepads, well placed I would say.
Cons: Crowded - It can get pretty crowded on the weekends...NOT REALLY A CON unless you are trying to get a quick round in. Best time for quicker rounds is on weekday mornings.

Signs - The tees/tee signs can be a bit confusing for non locals. Most of the holes have multiple tees...but some of them you just don't know which one to play to stay consistent the whole round. Again, not THAT big of a deal but would be nice to have some clarity on this.
Other Thoughts: Overall..fun little course with a variety of fun shots. Gets pretty crowded on the weekends. Not that tough of a course, but I find it very fun to play.

Short But Oh So Sweet

1    1/1/2011   1/10/2011
Review By: sheamous
This review was updated on 12/16/2011
Pros: Right off highway 360, 15-20 minutes from Arlington in North Central DFW, lots of trees and water hazards, very technical, and also some holes you can run for aces. I love the terrain on this course, deep creeks, beautiful tree lines, and nice grassy meadows.
Cons: Lots of people love this course so I tend to schedule my tee times for off hours to avoid loads of golfers. I've gotten stuck behind really large groups on the weekends. All the holes are par 3's and as a power thrower I always love the addition of a few long holes. Take a Golden Retriever with you or be prepared to get in neck deep creeks for lost discs.
Other Thoughts: This course is a must play in DFW. I usually wait for a day off in the week and there's never anyone there, which makes this course extra perfect.

Ragnark

5+    9/25/2010   10/6/2010
Review By: ragnark999
Pros: The course is general very beautiful. There are concrete tee boxes on all the holes. The course is challenging and requires a whole arsenal of different shots to score well. The park scenery is beautiful
Cons: That being said, the park has become overgrown on most the fairways requiring impossible shots to even get a quarter of the was to the hole. The signature hole of a course generally defines the entire course. A few years back hole 12 was a nice shot for both lefties and righties with well defined lanes requiring a difficult skilled shot but a definite aceable make. Now hole 12 have no clear lanes to the basket. It requires a lucky shot to even attempt an ace. All you can really do is lay it up and take a birdie which completely sucks the fun out of the best hole of the course.
Other Thoughts: I would go back to Bear Creek however, it is no longer a must play course when I go to DFW. When I do return I hope that the local DGers will have cleared out much of the over-hanging limbs on some of the holes as well as make hole 12 the beautiful hole that it use to be.