Course Extinct
Summerville, GA
Hawk's Grove DGC Share
Uploaded By: whalaw Hole #13 (Taken 8/2010)
4 / 260ft.   4 / --   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:

suicide course!

1    7/15/2012   7/16/2012
Review By: bama9125
Pros: nice scenic area and vary elevation. its opposite of what theysaid as mostly flat.
Cons: tall grass and has to hop hip lot. saw rattlesnake about foot away, whew , glad it doesnt bite me. thanks to my friend that spot it. easily could sprain ankle when unaware of what inside thick grass. almost all tee pad post gone. cant find pad to basket. it took us 2 hr and 45 min to complete the course. it could easily mow the grass and save us hour of seek and find the disc.
Other Thoughts: if i had live there and have the money, i would mow grass and fix up and clean some basket etc and make 4 star course instead of 1 star that i decide after play this last night.

my first ace

2-4    8/7/2008   3/7/2009
Review By: discwhisperer
Pros: Not crowded ever.Some tight,woods,open,a little bit of everything.Set on a cool family farm.Pretty easy to navigate.
Cons: They dont mow the grass.Natural tees.Have to pay.A little hard to find.
Other Thoughts: Got my first ACE there,so it is a special course to me.Overall it is pretty good.

MOW THE DAMN FAIRWAYS!!!

1    4/3/2008   3/3/2009
Review By: discchik
Pros: Has some potential
Cons: Knee high grass in the fairway.Absolutely No tee pads whatsoever Feels kinda odd..kinda like you're playing at someone's house (which you are)
Other Thoughts: This course could be really nice if upkeep and upgrades were done. This course is a perfect example of why you should let those with the financial means and equipment handle the day to day operations of running and maintaining a disc golf course. Not trying to be nasty here just stating facts.

Are you kidding?

1    6/12/2008   2/19/2009
Review By: disccrazy
Pros: Ummm, It's on a farm
Cons: Extremely high grass, No course maintenance to speak of, no tee pads, very easy to lose a disc on on the fairway due to 3 or 4 ft high grass. Very hard to find the next hole. Course owner seems more interested in collecting fees than maintaining course.
Other Thoughts: This course has potential but folks just aren't going to drive that far to play a course that is that far in disrepair. If you play this course BE CAREFUL not to slip and fall on the walnuts that have fallen on the would be tee-pad.

PLEASE MOW ME!!!!

1    9/15/2008   10/28/2008
Review By: insane4chains
Pros: Great scenery Nice wooded and open areas. Could be a nice course but.....
Cons: 3 1/2 ft high grass. Easy to lose discs in the fairway. NO TEE PADS
Other Thoughts: Contrary to popular belief, Disc golf courses DO require upkeep & maintenance. This means mowing the fairways AT LEAST every couple of weeks. Owner of the course was friendly but stated that he simply doesn't have the time to mow the fairways. This is probably why folks aren't coming there in droves. My friend and I both almost suffered ankle injuries because the high grass keeps you from being able to see the many holes that you encounter while walking the fairways. If you can't maintain a course don't build it!

Good Open Space

8/10/2008   8/10/2008
Review By: Bensontbjj
Pros: Holes were scenic through the farm. I really liked the crossing back and forth across the "creek" bed.
Cons: Hadn't been mowed in a while so it was hard to tell where the tee was at times. A few of the tee markers were down. This is a good candidate for marking the next tee on the previous holes pin.
Other Thoughts: I didn't come across any snakes but the dog guided me through the entire course (guess she was bored). Enjoyed the course and didn't have too hard of a time finding discs in the tall grass (even center of fairway) as I thought I might.

Nice Farm Course

5/23/2008   6/1/2008
Review By: jetimms
Pros: Cool farm setting
Good use of space
More of a technical course vs long range course
Well kept (bushhogged/trimmed)
Cons: Critters (not so bad)
Some tee posts are knocked over
Some overgrowth in the rough.
Other Thoughts: We had just finished Winshape and were about to replay when we got directions for the Hawks Grove course. (There is a per-day fee to play. Bring a few dollars. It's worth it.) It wasn't that far out of the way so we headed up 27.

I threw my shoulder out on the Winshape course earlier, but I actually parred a few on this one without agitating it. I had an easier time because I didn't have to do a lot of distance shots. It was more of a technical course.

When we arived the owner was busy riding a ATV around and weedeating parts of the course and was friendly. Although the fairways had semihigh grass from being bushhogged, it added to the charm of the place. I felt like I was playing on my Dad's farm.

Since it is a farm, be prepared to see critters. The sheepdog was super friendly and there was a goat and a calf munching on some vines. Nothing bothersome except the King snake that blang mentioned in his review. I thought it was a innertube. By the way, snakes don't like being stepped on and mistaken for innertubes. There were some massive ant hills on one of the early tunnel fairways, which we found while crossing the creek. Maybe I mention the roughs so much because I was constantly in them (I am still learning), but they are exactly as you would expect on a farm. I really enjoyed playing here and think this is a good tournament course (lots of room.)

Of all of the roughing it that I did at Hawks, I came away from it with ten to fifteen off of my usual score at Winshape, zero bites, scrapes or poision ivy rashes, and a good time.

The Jewl of North Georgia

1    5/23/2008   5/26/2008
Review By: blang
This review was updated on 10/4/2008
Pros: -Great use of terrain.
-Nice baskets.
-Pro shop with Innova Discs.
-Nice balance of wooded and open holes.
-Generous pars.
Cons: -Some holes could be longer using available land. (I like the length but some might find the length as a con)
-High grass in some places give you the chance of stepping on a snake.
-2.00 playing fee. ( expected for a private course)
-Grass Tee pads.
Other Thoughts: I must say that I was pleasantly surprised to find such a fun course tucked away in the middle of Summerville Georgia. This course is relatively new and minimally played to the point that the tees are still grass and has yet to be worn to dirt. This course is on a private farm so a modest $2.00 for all day play is required at the beginning of the course. I was not expecting this, so our group had to scrounge for the fees. Also, they actually have a reasonably good selection of Innova discs for purchase in DX plastics at the pro shop as well. The course has a sign for every hole with the direction of the basket drawn with markers. It is good enough to get you to the baskets. Each hole also has a labeled marker in the ground for the tee. This is important because the grass has not been worn to dirt to let you know where to throw from. The pars for each hole are extremely generous. Hole 1 is a downhill 300 foot ace worthy hole that is labeled as a par 5. This course does an excellent job of taking advantage of it terrain. Many downhill and uphill shots along with some of the best risk reward wooded shots I have ever played. This course does have several holes above 300 to test your arm but the beauty of the course is the wooded hole placement. Several are below two hundred feet but your disc selection will be tested. I found "The tunnel" hole to be one of the most challenging tunnel holes I have ever seen. The tree canopies are so thick through this hole that it is almost dark. You will also be challenged on the over the creek holes. You disc might be anywhere from 10 feet from the baskets to in a brier patch 10 feet from the tee. A greet course for a beginner and equally as fun for an advanced player. You will also see plenty of domestic and wild animals. We were greeted by a farm dog and he was good enough to give us a tour of the first 2 holes. They also had a cow close to the home and a free roaming goat near 18. Just to let you know, that we also saw a king snake in field on the back nine. The owner said that the same dog that gave us the tour of the first two holes will generally take care of the snakes and killed 7 when they were first clearing out the course. If you are going to plan a trip to Rome Georgia because you see that they have three courses, play WinShape, skip Ridge Ferry and Log Cabin, and take the 18 mile drive to Hawk's Grove DGC.

This course is equally balanced for lefties and righties.

On a side note if you like Folk art, Summerville is the home of Howard Finster and his Paradise Gardens. You might want to extend your stay to check it out because it will not be around for too many more years, without some major renovations.

Surprisingly Good Course

3/29/2008   4/16/2008
Review By: ambroze
Pros: This is a very nice course for being on a farmer's land. It has a lot of short very ace-able holes that makes for a fun experience. Very easy to navigate and there are some holes that are quite interesting that go back and forth over a stream.
Cons: Maybe a little out of the way but very much worth the drive.

Hawks Grove

3/19/2008   3/19/2008
Review By: shaggydabomb
Pros: Good fun family course, doesn't get much play never a crowd..Worth playing!
Lots of birdies but don't let your guard down or you'll boggie a few!
Cons: Somewhat out of the way!

Owner not happy with lack of traffic, Bring a group!
Other Thoughts: But, lots of course around good day trip, Rome Hawks Grove, Cloudland, Chattanooga