Course Extinct
Uploaded By: TenaciousMV Hole #8

Driver's Paradise

5+    5/20/2009   6/1/2009
Review By: Tomski420
Pros: The Back9: The course really changes its flavor here. Hills come into play more (up&down) couple of semi-wooded holes and obstacles.

Hole #9: After playing the rest of the front9 you get here and think "Finally".

Never Gotta Worry About Lot's of Peoples (Wonder why? Not really though)
Cons: The Front9: Straight driver's paradise, that's all I can say. Holes #1, #2, #4, #5, #7, and #8 all require the same shot; STRAIGHT. To add to the boredom, there all no obstructions or traps, just that damned grass.

Damned Tall Grass: Really eats up your discs. Better keep an eye out on that shot, cause you don't wanna get lost in that damned grass. That's your only real incentive to land on the fairway.

Information: There is no footage listing for the holes other than what some guy wrote with a sharpie on the number posts which appear to be estimates at best. No maps (Not like the front9 needs em'). No par #'s so just gotta play everything PRO-Par 3. That kinda sucks cause some holes have a legit claim for par 4 (especially #3 & #18)

Tees: Plain Earth, nothing wrong with that, just wish there was at least some indication of where to tee-off from. You can see where the status-quo/agreed-upon tee-off spot is by where the grass is missing or trampled, but I like to tee-off from behind the #posts.

Bugs: There is a stagnant pond next to the course, mosquito breeding grounds. Horse flies, gnats, and ticks also can be found if your lucky. BRING BUG SPRAY

Parking: After playing this disappointing course, you'll have a nice long walk to you disappointing mode of transportation (j/k, I know y'all all got pimp rides).
Other Thoughts: You play hear enough times and you'll notice that most people skip the front9. That's disappointing and proves the non-imagination of the Course-Designer. Nothing personal Course-Designer guy, but that front9 does suck.

You like to drive big, come out here and show off!!!(not that anyone will be there to see you)

Sussex is right down the Road

1    5/7/2009   5/8/2009
Review By: superberry
This review was updated on 6/11/2009
Pros: There is a good amount of elevation which is the ONLY thing that keeps play interesting. I suppose trees to come into play and make you throw a controlled and accurate drive on three or four of the holes.
Cons: The course is wide open. The course does not utilize some extreme terrain and wonderful woods surrounding the entire course. The course does not challenge accuracy in the least. I did not play when the prairie grass was too long, but I imagine June - Aug will yield some extremely long grass in the rough.
Other Thoughts: To me, I simply don't care for wide open holes. I will never choose to play here again. It wasn't even worth playing just to check off my list. Just because the grass is cut on the fairway to make a hole look like it plays left or right, doesn't make it so! What is very disappointing is looking around the edges of the course at some of the huge trees, very sharp elevation, and terrain that would yield an excellent course. I think the designer either took the easy way, of the parks department didn't have the guts to allow a really nice course. When you first pull in the park and see some of the physical features, you may get real excited for a fantastic course. But you can squash that feeling because all you'll get is a mediocre course with grass, some hills, and moderate distance - oh and on the whole, not much challenge per 18 holes. I'd compare it to Baird Creek in Green Bay (not a good course to begin with), but Heritage Trails doesn't use the natural feature nearly as well as Baird. Where the comparison comes in is the fact that you can shank a drive and there is no punishment, because without trees, your upshot can come in from anywhere. I also scored the course really low because of the lack of forced skill the course provides. On every tee, you could throw a hyzer, anhyzer, tomahawk, sidearm, etc. There is no REQUIRED skill needed to play here. Go just down the road and play Sussex.

I had to consider downgrading my rating to 1.0. This is because I scored Indian Creek as 1.5 "Passable". While I don't believe Heriatge Trails is POOR (1.0), I do think it is worse than Indian Creek. I am glad that the rating of "Passable" score down at a 1.5. To me that is the essence of a round. Even if the course is nice and clean, scenic, quiet, etc, doesn't mean that the disc golf course is worth playing. Thus, Heritage trails is a nice park with some beauty, but the course is definitely passable!

Good driving practice

6/1/2008   6/1/2008
Review By: TenaciousMV
Pros: Mowed fairways; distances labeled; decent elevation changes for SE Wisconsin; two cool holes (9 and 13); I'm *assuming* it never gets busy - we didn't see a soul, but it was from 9-11 on a Sunday morning; very nice looking area
Cons: On too many holes, the only penalty for a poor drive is trying to find it in the tall grass; there are NO real obstacles on several holes (1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 8, 10, 11, 12, 18) and very few on all others except 9 and 13; the course gets very monotonous at several points; the grass and weeds just off the fairway are leafy and gobble up discs away from your sight - this cost our group a LOT of time today; pay to play;
grass tees; long walks between many tees; walk from 18 back to the first tee (and your car) is a full 5 minutes; insect activity is higher than most courses
Other Thoughts: When our group of 4 first walked though some brush and laid eyes on the first few holes of the course, we were excited. It wasn't like any course any of us had seen before - it looks like a golf course! Fairways were cut out of higher grass in various shapes and there were even some hills to enjoy.

Then we started playing. A couple of us hit the first fairway and a couple of us missed - surely the ones that hit were in better shape, right? Well, yes and no. We were in better shape in the sense that we could find our discs easily while the others took a long time, but we had no advantage in terms of scoring. Basically, on this course, a miss that goes 300 feet is almost always better for scoring than a perfect shot that goes 250. Yes, the 250 feels better and looks nicer, but not landing on the fairway generally doesn't inhibit your ability to throw a perfectly balanced and uninterrupted second shot. You may as well just throw it as hard as you can on most holes and not worry about anything other than finding your disc. You'll need the distance too - you'll be using your driver quite a bit.

Given the above issue, we weren't quite as excited - but this is still an awesome course, right? I mean... it looks so cool! So we played on with a positive attitude.

The 6th hole really gave us hope - an uphill dogleg right with an actual obstacle blocking a straight path to the hole. (It's still easy to avoid.) We played it, we enjoyed it more than the others, and we moved on to the 7th hole. Back to the same thing. It was a downhill shot that let you get some great distance, but there was again no real challenge. The 8th was similar.

The 9th hole, if any, is the course's signature hole. There were enough trees in your way off the tee to make you think but not too many to be unfair. After the trees there wasn't really much to contend with but the fairway sloped down and to the right and then back up and slightly to the left. Just a very nice looking hole. Still, if you can dodge the trees (not difficult) you're pretty much golden for the remainder. Three very boring holes followed.

The 13th hole is awesome for one reason - my first hole-in-one!! It's downhill with a very narrow fairway and dozens of small trees on either side nearly the whole way. Anything other than a very straight throw will be punished - a good hole. Even though it requires the most precision, it's still the easiest hole-in-one on the course due to the distance being under 200 feet.

Holes 14-16 require some accuracy but their obstacles are still easily avoided. Hole 17 and 18 were long and boring.

A good course should require you to avoid obstacles to throw a good disc - this course only did that a couple of times. The one plus side of a course with basically no obstacles is that they're good for a beginner, right? Not this course - a novice will be looking for their disc over and over again all day and will feel the course is much too long.

The reason this review has been lengthy is that it's hard to get over the way how this course looks at first glance. My friends agree with me, once you get over that, there just isn't much there.

If you want to go for a nice walk in a pretty area, this may be a reason to play here. Another reason may be if you want to use your driver a lot - just keep your eye on exactly where your disc lands! If you want to play a round of disc golf that forces you to play reasonably well to be rewarded, which what disc golf is all about, you need to go somewhere else.

A rating of 2.0 is 'average.' To me, an average course needs to present more than just a few risk/reward type of shots. This course doesn't. If this rating scale was 1-5, a 1.5 would be pretty much near abysmal. Since it's 0-5, I feel a 1.5 is appropriate - just under average. If it didn't look so nice I'd almost have to consider going lower. This review in no way factored in the $4/person cost.