Bishop, GA
Herman C. Michael Park Share
Uploaded By: whalaw Hole #17 (Taken 4/2010)
3 / 137ft.   3 / --   3 / 205ft.   3 / -- Par / Distance:

You need some practice!

1    4/6/2010   4/6/2010
Review By: ProOffense
Pros: Ok... My resume of courses include some GREATS and some NO DICE courses. I was skeptical about this course when I saw it was a staright par 54 course. (all par threes, if you don't want to do the math) Well needless to say, i had a good time out in Bishop GA. I ended up finishing under par, but realized this could be a good course to play and get my putting and approaching honed in. (Lets just say it was one of those days putting) Its about the equivalent to a PGA Pro playing an all par three course. It was actually nice keeping the drivers off the course and only using my fairway drivers and mid-range off the tee pad. Which by the way was dirt. I'll get to that in the cons. This course for begginers, and children is prime to get a feel for the sport and not getting discouraged by crumby scores. Or overwhelming yardage off the tee pad for that matter. I will be back and look forward to better tight shots, layups, and jump putts. ( I think i putted on about 90% of my second shots. )
Cons: Ok... I am a real advocate for concrete or just flat tee pads. At "Herman C" the tee pads are at best, less than par. Some where even polluted by tree stumps and uneven sufaces. Also, A couple holes are so crammed together, a first timer can EASILY get backtracked. Oh yeah, I went to the front office and picked up a scorecard/map and lets just say, i thought quantum physics was hard to decypher!! It was just a bunch of lines and one letter markings. Definately can improve on that without a chunk of park revenue! HA
Other Thoughts: If you live close, this is a great course to go with friends and just relaxing and enjoy nature. If not, not recommended. Unless you want to bring your kids, or just bought a set of discs. More advanced players will find it a little redundant.

Some clarifications

5+    9/22/2009   9/23/2009
Review By: MrFixIt
Pros: Beginner friendly.
Wood holes require shot placement.
Good signage.
Very popular.
Well maintained.
Cons: Very active park, lots of people, pets, and vehicles at times.
Other Thoughts: This course was designed as a rec course from the beginning. The last 4 holes had to be re-designed because people were throwing over the adjacent property fence, climbing said fence, and tearing it down. The owner has bison, llamas, and cows that were getting loose.
Given that the park had only a small amount of space available, that is the only place that we could set the baskets.

Herman C. Michael Park

1    9/12/2009   9/12/2009
Review By: craigd
Pros: This is a fun little course hosting a nice mix of completely open to tightly wooded holes. There is a decent mix of elevation changes considering the land available. Water comes in to play on hole number five but it is far enough away not to really be a risk unless you have a particularly bad shot or a unusually bad roll. Still it adds to the personality of the course and is a nice feature. Shule and poison ivy is virtually non existent and the clean forest floor is just another plus to the course. The flow of the course is easy enough to follow and "next tee" arrows in their respective colors were helpful enough that there is no chance of getting lost. Blocks of wood painted blue (long) or red (short) mark the natural tees which are in surprisingly good shape. The tee signs are also very nice and map out the holes perfectly and also indicate the distances of both tees.

This course is perfect for younger or new players. I think it is great to have some courses like this available for that purpose. My 11 year old son played from the short tees and had a great time. He is hungry for an ace and went for it every time. He pointed out that most courses are too long to reach the baskets for younger players but he had a chance on every hole from the red tees. Additionally, new players will like the shortness of the course as well. Also the woods/open mix will be helpful in teaching them different throws too.

This is a great course for working on your short game and finesse shots. While I don't see top pro players longing to play this course I do think below average to even above average players can thoroughly enjoy this course.
Cons: Well, this course lacks the length or general challenge that most serious players will be looking for. Most of the challenge comes from some of the tight fairways that have not really been designed that well. While you will find a few really good holes, some are lacking. There are a couple of identifiable lines on a few of the wooded holes but they don't seem to be there by design, rather they are just gaps that happen to be in the woods. Others have no line at all. I remember one hole in particular where this was really pronounced. I just stood there looking for a route and finally thought, "Well, I guess I will just throw it and see what happens". I could have done just as well by closing my eyes and throwing. With that said it does help keep the challenge flowing on what could be a repetitive and even boring course otherwise. The worst holes on the course happen to be the last open ones and they can leave you driving home a little disappointed.
Other Thoughts: Don't let the cons scare you away. This really is a fun little course, especially if you are just going to work on your short game or honing your finesse shots. As long as you know what to expect you should be pleased with the course. As I mentioned, this is a pretty fun course and I had a great time. I hope you like it too. Enjoy!

A notch above

2-4    3/17/2009   7/17/2009
Review By: Alan.D
Pros: -Good use of land
-Mostly wooded with a few wide open holes
-Water can come in play
-Tee "pads" are actually not bad
-Shots needed vary
-A fun course
Cons: -Mostly just par 3 (with a par 2) for the most part lacks different approaches
-Can be repetitive
-Water can come in play
-While most fairways are fair a few are too small or undefined
Other Thoughts: Overall a fun course worth playing. It is quite active, with a good community.

A fun although forgettable course.

This course is fun

5+    5/22/2011   5/10/2009
Review By: billnchristy
This review was updated on 5/23/2011
Pros: Great signs...each hole has a tee sign and little red and blue arrows that direct you towards the next tee. They are generally just a few steps away though.
2 tee pads...we basically called them child/adult. A couple holes had an intermediate that was painted red and blue.
Nice and short. This is the first course our daughter (6) played completely through.
Nice park, the worst crime that happens here is probably raccoons stealing things.
New grid style teepads on some holes are probably the best hybrid natural terrain pads I have seen.
Cons: Some poor design elements...several holes fairways run opposite of each other (8 and 9 I think mainly). 10's tee is also almost directly behind 9s basket...I know because I overshot and landed straight on it.
We had to skip 14 because there was a large family gathering in the pavilion that is really too close to the basket.
There is a big, beautiful hilly grass field next to 16...it really seemed that the basket could be put further towards the fence line and have 17 be a decent hole.
I personally did not like 18s tee being right behind a giant light pole which more or less forces you to shoot out over the parking lot to get a good run at the basket.
Other Thoughts: The herm is what disc golf should be, fun, challenging, frustrating and rewarding. You don't have to be a big arm to play here but you better be accurate. I would bet that this course breeds better players than some of the "better" courses in the area that never teach you how to shape lines.

If you are looking for a good time, call Herman C. If you are looking for some whiz-bang new par 3.5 million mega plex, go elsewhere or play 4 rounds and call it one.

The new grid pads are awesome, when they get installed on all 18 this sucker will be a 3 all day in my book.

1    3/7/2009   3/10/2009
Review By: Sea Bass
Pros: -Well marked.You will have no problem finding your way around here.

-Great course for families and new players.The day I played there were 2 dad with kids groups, a group of ladies, and a whole bunch of rec players.

-Trees help to make up for shortness of course.Most of the fairways out here would be pretty much invalid on a standard length course,But with this course being so short, It does not seem so bad.Without the extremely narrow fairways, it would be so easy that it would be no fun to play.

-Speed play.Do you need to squeeze in a round as fast as possible? Well, this is the place. 45 min or so for 18 here does not seem unreasonable.

-Little to no undergrowth in woods.If you get off the fairway its no problem to recover.I played bad and hit a bunch of trees and still shot in the 40's.

-Fun to play.I expected to hate this course, but I was pleasantly suprised.Yeah its uber short and easy, but I had a good time.For me, thats the most important factor.
Cons: -Teepads. Many are slanted and have roots and rocks in the way.The pad on #3 was right where a drainage ditch ends and was unbelievably muddy.

-Short pads are a joke.Even the ladies and kids I saw out there were playing the long pads.

-Not much shot selection.I'm RHBH and it seemed to me almost every shot was straight with a touch of hyzer.

-After school care.I was told that during the week the first 3 holes can be unplayable due to kids.I did not see this myself though.

-Way too short.Not much to keep a experienced player interested here.

-The last few holes play over or very close to parking areas a b-ball court and a beach volleyball pit.
Other Thoughts: Like I said earlier, I thought I would hate this course but I actually enjoyed it quite a bit.I dont suggest traveling here to play it but if you live in the athens area this could be a fun course to play once in a while.

1    1/11/2009   1/11/2009
Review By: krazybronco
Pros: the mutiple tees helps with the challange does make accuracy/luck a premium.
short so can get a quick round in
Cons: you have to be lucky becuase some of the fairways are very narrow.
short for advance players the longest hole i think was 312 ft long
Other Thoughts: i think it could have been opened up just a little more but not alot

but still a fun course for the family and speed

A nice course in general

5+    12/20/2008   12/20/2008
Review By: GaDawg
This review was updated on 12/30/2008
Pros: Very good signs, free, if you like throwing the thumber/Tomahawk then it's much easier, and #1/2 are good warm-up holes, trees provide a nice chance for more difficulty, fairly easy if you throw it in the right spots
Cons: This being the course where i learned disc golf it was a rude awakening when I played harder courses
Holes designed for right handers (im left handed) thus forcing me to change to sidearm.
Other Thoughts: Nice beginner course
Confidence builder

Extremely Short

1    10/19/2008   10/19/2008
Review By: darktoaster
Pros: I appreciated that all of the holes had nice tee signs showing the distance of the hole as well as a suggested flight path from the tee.

The little signs after each hole pointing to the next tee were very helpful for finding my way around the course the first time.

I suppose that the extremely short red tees could be good for young children to play from.
Cons: My major gripe with this course is that it is one very short hole(many under 200ft) after another. It isn't just the woods holes that are short even a few of the open ones are extremely short from the long( used very loosely) tees. Hole number 17 is the shortest wide open hole I have ever played as it is only 154ft( it even felt shorter than that). At least they decided to call it a par 2.

My other complaint is that I was able to throw basically the same shot( tomahawk) on about 75% of the holes.I didn't really feel as if a variety of shots were needed in order to score well on this course.

My last complaint was that several of the course's holes crossed walking paths,roads,and even the parking lot which although it didn't hinder my round could have slowed down play if the park was busier at the time.
Other Thoughts: The teepads were all dirt/grass/mud. I also couldn't find a restroom while I was there but assume that there was one in the main park building that was closed during my visit.

Short and Fun

5+    9/16/2008   9/16/2008
Review By: hooboy
This review was updated on 11/21/2013
Pros: Short and tight, premium on accuracy. Still need to turn the disc both ways here. Two sets of tees, red tees VERY short, good for kids / beginners. Course is well marked. Nice variety of wooded vs. open holes. "Ego builder" for an intermediate, because its short, you can score here. Can play "speed golf" fairly easily here. Most of this course is "self contained", away from rest of park. They have added some distance on holes wherever possible. Very close to Rt. 53, easy in and out. This course is fairly remote, so its never been crowded when I played.
Cons: Its short, most holes around 200 ft. Advanced players won't be challenged, only a couple holes at 275-300 ft. Some holes VERY tight, seemingly no discernible flight path - throw it and hope. Lake to left of #5, RHBH throw, watch out! I retrieved my disk from the muck with a long stick. Grass / sand tees, some uneven. Holes 15-18 seem a sort of "afterthought", winding through paths, fields, etc.
Other Thoughts: This course is a fun, quick diversion. Good for intermediate / beginners, advanced players will be bored. Take your kids, and let them play the red tees. Weave it through the trees, and make some birdies! I have been back to this course several times on my way east from Atlanta. They continue to improve this course, most notably by moving tee markers back, and trying to add more distance where possible. You can easily pull off Rt. 53 and be back in your car in an hour here.