Howards Grove, WI
HGHS DGC Share

D = Doesn’t Do much for Dave

1    6/27/2010   2/27/2011
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up in my list of 9 hole courses:

1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution. == D
(Wide open course. Other than some steep grassy banks that come into play if you are way off line, there is no danger and therefore no risk or decision making.)

2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I'm a Blue level player (950ish skill) who throws 300' accurately, 360' max. == D+
(5 of the holes are too short to be rewarding for me and one is too long. So only 3 are a length where carding a deuce is fun, but with no obstacles the fun is reduced big time.)

3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography == D+
(Very little shot-shaping required other than a couple places that there are ballfield fences to be avoided or inclines to be landed on. But even those are not a true test of real disc golf skills.)

4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion. == C-
(The grass is very nice and lush. The school is in a rural area away from the hustle bustle. But natural beauty and real seclusion….this course lacks.)

5) Bonus points for multi-throw holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them. == NA
Other Thoughts: I realize that this course is not designed for me but rather for DG to be introduced to kids at high school gym class.
My 0.0 rating has no offense intended, but I try to be true/consistent to my approach and grading scale as I can be.....and this course has no more ability to draw me back to itself than a practice basket on a field has.

Nice place to begin learning the game!

1    7/23/2010   7/26/2010
Pros: 1) #'d Golf flags marking each tee area. Since there are no signs these at least guide you through the course.

2) Nice innova discatchers in good shape. My wife didnt like it when she hit the big yellow band on a 50' putt. That was her first time ringing the chastity belt! #'s on the basket are generally visible from the tee also which is helpful to know which basket you are shooting for.

3) Nice terrain on this course. It is well designed for a property with almost no trees. It has some undulations and it has some risk/reward type basket locations all because of the hills and the prevailing winds.

4) There is a dry drainage-way that runs the entire length of #8 and another one that is just a typical dry drain/culvert that runs between #1 and 2, and between #5 and 6. I played just a few days after some major rains went through and there were a couple wet spots but all in all it isn't like it is a water hazard. Just don't throw in the unmowed stuff on #8 and you will never lose a disc out here.

5) Very beginner friendly but it adds a little spice with some varied distances as well as some risk/reward baskets. The undulations and some of the mounding also make the course way more interesting than it would be on flat ground with the same layout.
Cons: 1) Grass tees (in good shape though from lack of use), although I can't say I would expect better tees on a school course. Grass is better than dirt in my opinion so this is only a partial blow to its score.

2) No real trees to work with on this property. They have planted some evergreens on some of the berms but they really would have to get some major donations to put some trees up on this course. I wouldn't expect that either though because it is just a beginner type course anyways but it is a negative for me.

3) Not a whole lot of shot variation needed on this course because it is so wide open. Hyzers will work well if you can throw a long way (300+ with accuracy) on the longer 3 holes, otherwise just grip it and rip it layup and hit your par. There are a couple pretty easy birdie holes however, like 1, 4, 6, and 9.
Other Thoughts: Not a bad course for a high school course. It is well thought out for the property available on the grounds. It doesn't have a lot of challenge but for beginners it does have a good variety of distance, risk/reward (#1 and #7 baskets), birdie opportunities to keep it interesting, plus some longer holes that will definitely lead to some bogeys or worse for beginners. I even took a 4 on the first hole because it was so windy, now I am not a stud at DG but I never thought I would bogey an open hole of 245'. The wind got me I swear!!!!

not bad for a school course

2-4    7/27/2009   7/27/2009
Review By: tallpaul
This review was updated on 8/8/2009
Pros: There are nine, nice, innova baskets here. Fair amount of elevation. Quite a bit more length than I was expecting. Mostly wide open; but length of holes and elevation differences make for some challenge. Flags; very similar to cup markers in ball golf mark tees. Very well maintained grounds; even during summer. Opportunity to practice your roller shots on the short grass.
Cons: No signage. As with all school courses, no play during school hours. We played in the dark; so, bit difficult to tell; but appeared to us that some fairways cross somewhat. Seems this course would be a bit dangerous if full. I don't think this is often the case and probably shouldn't be an issue. Be aware, however, that drives from tees may go darn near directly over an adjacent pin and care should be taken in regards to respect to other players.
Other Thoughts: Length already not bad. Played during non school hours; combined with the lack of everyday play that seems indicated by the lack of wear on tees; would indicate that you could invent safari holes to your heart's content.